Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Girls [HBO - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Colmo52 wrote: »
    :eek: Post Reported!!!

:p

You can download it from here.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Don't waste your time watching it.
    It's awful muck.
    Or are girls really as pathetic as portrayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Don't waste your time watching it.
    It's awful muck.
    Or are girls really as pathetic as portrayed?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I watched one episode its a bit strange alright but I suppose 20 something's relate to it and kind of feel like watching it again the more I read about it. I think it more realistic to be honest but that's just me. Its like a younger version of Sex In The City which I didn't really get to be honest, seen it preferred the films to the show itself. I'd watch it just to see what happens. I wasn't sure when first watching 'Girls' was a bit disappointed in it but now after watching the one with the diary feel like watching more of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I have started watching this on Sky Atlantic.
    I have to say Lena Dunham is very unique. It's refreshing to see a character, who if a little exaggerated for the screen is a very real portrayal of a modern girl. Relationships aren't always perfect or romantic. The way it deals with friendships, work etc for 20 somethings coming out of uni is quite realistic.
    Am I the only boardsie enjoying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Alessandra wrote: »
    Am I the only boardsie enjoying it?

Nope, I love it :) Watched the whole of Season 1 and found it really entertaining, refreshing and funny.

I don't think the girls portrayed are 'pathetic' at all, they're young 20-somethings trying to find their way in life in a world where, by 25, they're supposed to have it all figured out - great job, great man, great social activities. The reality of that is totally different for most, and Lena Dunham does a fantastic job of showing it without patronising the audience or the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gypsy Roman

One of the best new shows on telly,after so many dirt shows coming out of the US last few years this is by far one of the best. If ya not seen it yet give it a look on Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I watched the first few episodes and found it as dull as dishwater..

.. maybe it improved in later in the season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I actually watched up to last week, recorded last night's and then decided I couldn't be bothered. While it's lovely to see normal looking women on television enunciating things I was worried about in my early 20s, it's not funny and I don't have empathy with the characters. People keep saying it's hilarious: I've barely ever cracked a smile watching it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I saw an episode of this the other day. Fair play to Chris O' Dowd. He cannot do an American accent to save his life but the Americans seemingly love him.

Maybe it s just me so,I like comedys that are able to exist minus canned laughter unlike the usual American Drival like how I met your mother or that show about the Geeks. I think the lead charactor is top class great comic timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I didn't see Chris O'Dowd on it?? Maybe that's further on. Have only watched so far on Sky Atlantic and I thought the one on last night was very very funny. Will stick with it for another wee while and see how it goes.

girl2 wrote: »
    I didn't see Chris O'Dowd on it?? Maybe that's further on. Have only watched so far on Sky Atlantic and I thought the one on last night was very very funny. Will stick with it for another wee while and see how it goes.

Exactly,see I told you lot it was good haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

girl2 wrote: »
    I didn't see Chris O'Dowd on it??

Here is a scene with him in it. Admittedly not the scene I saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Ive seen all season 1 and I thought it wasn't to bad. Its an interesting look at 20 somethings lives but I just don't know how they call it a comedy, I don't think I laughed once all season. Its a drama and not a comedy in my eyes anyway.

all ugly birds

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭CMBT

Anyone know any place I can see this online, missed the first few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Season 2 starts on Sky Atlantic on Monday Jan 14th 2013.

One day after it starts on US TV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anybody still watching this?

I thought i would hate it but have enjoyed every episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

irish son wrote: »
    Ive seen all season 1 and I thought it wasn't to bad. Its an interesting look at 20 somethings lives but I just don't know how they call it a comedy, I don't think I laughed once all season. Its a drama and not a comedy in my eyes anyway.

I suppose it depends what you find funny. I found myself laughing my head off at bits and cringing at others.

"That was my gynecologist on the phone with news..... about.... my vagina."
    - "Was it good news?"

I quite like exchanges like that when delivered well.

all ugly birds

Typical Dower levels of analysis there. Complete inability to think with anything above the waist as usual. :rolleyes:

Melion wrote: »
    Anybody still watching this?

I thought i would hate it but have enjoyed every episode.

Yup, still watching. Really liked the season 2 opener. I know its only one episode but I feel like this season will be better than the first. Hopefully there will be less Adam this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

irish son wrote: »
    Yup, still watching. Really liked the season 2 opener. I know its only one episode but I feel like this season will be better than the first. Hopefully there will be less Adam this season.

He's my favourite character in the show :)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I suppose it depends what you find funny. I found myself laughing my head off at bits and cringing at others.

"That was my gynecologist on the phone with news..... about.... my vagina."
    - "Was it good news?"

I quite like exchanges like that when delivered well.
    I actually did laugh a bit at the newest episode, it's comedy is growing on me.
    Melion wrote: »
    He's my favourite character in the show :)

I can see people finding him an interesting character but he's just to annoying for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sky Atlantic are showing Season 2 now only one day after it airs in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

At first it was purely shallow reasons, but now I really do love Marnie.
    -♪ "Cause you're workin' building a mystery, and holding oooooooooon and holding it iiiiiiiiiiin. Yeah you're working buildiiiiing"♪
    - "No harmony there"
    - "Sorry."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Have to say I like this show. Some things though grate on me, maybe it's just the way Americans talk to each other about issues they're having, you know they say annoyingly Americans things about how they're feeling etc like when Hannah was talking to that republican fella 'You're acting so weird right now' 'I am so not acting weird' - Argh shut up. :o Adam really annoys me, feel he's really ungrateful and just annoying although it irritating me that Hannah stays with him. Hannah can be whiny and annoying too though. Don't know how to feel towards Marnie, hated her in the first series feel she's a b*tch and is really selfish although in the second series I kind of warmed to her but she still seems self-absorbed and whiny. I wish Chris O'Dowd wasn't in it at all, I really don't like him in general. I don't think he's funny and I don't like his character in this show. Liked Jesse's character in the beginning but I feel in the second series she's not a character I'm interested or bothered about anymore. Feel her relationship with Chris O'Dowd's character is strange and I'm waiting for the admission that she only likes him for his money or something. Shoshanna, I feels she's a one-dimensional character with nothing much to contribute to the overall storyline, but I suppose she does give some comedic relief in certain situations.

Well that's my opinion. Funny talking about some of the characters as being b*tches and I feel like I'm coming across as one!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's a grower.

There's a few shows that come along with very different tones, Mad Men and Breaking Bad being the most obvious recent examples, and you're asked to understand that tone as a prerequisite to enjoyment. Girls is also much the same as those shows in that a lot, indeed almost all, of the characters aren't likeable.

For show that is primarily a comedy that seems like an incredible road block to set in front of yourself as a creative team but Girls makes up for it by being smart as a show in how it portrays its characters as dumb. There's a bittersweet streak in the show that brings it far closer to a drama than you'd ever imagine going in.

At its heart it seems to be about the emptiness of life, be it any of the four girls, Adam, Charlie or Elijah. Most of them seem to have been drawn to New York by the dream of glamour and excitement and instead have found themselves trapped, literally and figuratively, in cramped apartments far from any true danger or excitement. Their careers have barely gotten out of neutral.

They've been sold a bill of goods and they're desperately trying to fill their lives with something, a relationship, work, whatever helps fill the emptiness that's pervading their lives. They're trying to convince themselves they're happy, that they made the right choices.

Girls is one of the best shows on television right now but if someone doesn't go in with the right attitude (i.e. don't set out trying to like characters and then getting angry because they do something stupid) and with enough understanding of the generation it portrays I can very much see how some will turn very strongly against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Great review Syferus. I've found myself defending the show to friends, and not being able to explain what it is that attracts me to it. My sister usually shares my taste in TV and film but could not get into the first season at all. I think she was expecting more obvious humour than the show offers up.

Advertisement