Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MOTU] Your own inexplicable experiences

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have known of incidences in my family regarding "knowing" or "feeling" when a person died.

yeah, I sometimes 'feel' this too. It's like as if the dead person is asking me for help or something, very hard to describe it though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Staying at my cousins house which was full with people at the time so I had to sleep downstairs on the living room couch, which was ok because no one had been drinking and everyone had to get up for work so went to sleep early enough. But I woke up at about half three in the morning to a mobile phone which was ringing I tried to ignore it at first but the stupid phone kept ringing so I got up and found it on top of the fire place which was across the other side of the Living room, I pressed the end call button and went back to sleep it didn't ring again that night.

The next morning at breakfast I told my cousin that his phone or who ever it belonged to was ringing last night, he sat back and said thats strange because that phone on the fire place was his from over a year back and was completely broken it went dead a year ago. Now Im completely 100 percent sure I woke up to it ringing and I had not been drinking or doing anything else that night. That night has always stumped me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

If only ye'd answered that damn thing! :D

Strange as it may seem; I can completely relate to that story. Because, now ye mention it, I have a phone sat on my mantle piece here. Somewhere. Buried beneath six years of accumulated dust.

My point being that; Yes. People do keep 'dead' mobiles on their shelves. I'd just question the chances of my ones battery being any good by now though.

But, I'd love to hear from one or two of the people who's numbers I lost for ever when that bugger died on me. Old friends I'll never be able to speak to again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i was once driving along a road in Laois, not too far from work. It was a road I travelled occasionally - enough to know where it was, where it was coming from and going to .. but not well enough that I knew every single house along it.

Anyway, one day I was driving along it and I saw this really, really cool old thatched cottage. I was so soo close to stopping and taking a photo - and I wish the feck I had now. Anyway - I just noticed it was really bright, clean and nice ... fresh straw in the roof and chickens in the yard etc.

I came back the next day to take a photo of it, but there was no bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

As a child, in bed at night, I was able to lie on my side (foetal position) and 'rock' my body side to side (in my mind) until I could feel myself, above the bed and looking down on myself. I could do this for years, and it never felt remotely scary or odd - in fact, I loved the 'rocking' feeling I could do. I have often tried to focus really hard as an adult and have been able to do it about twice in the past few years...

I was at a counsellor in my 20s (dysfunctional family stuff) and she told me it was very common for children to remove themselves from situations (parents/family arguing in my case) by imagining themselves outside the situation and that this was my 'coping mechanism' at the time...some coping mechanism!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MrFlabr

I have quite a strange one that to this day I can't explain, so bascially about a year and a half ago I woke up in the middle of the night. Being completely disoriented I decided to reach for my phone and check on the time as it was a school night and I wanted to see how mych longer I had to enjoy my cosy bed. Anyway as I reached out to get my phone I felt this cold force touch my hand and stop it reaching my phone, all of a sudden I felt as if someone was leaning in towards me so that it's as if our noses were touching. Then this 'presence' let out a huge shriek and I felt this huge pressing sensation on my chest, I tried to talk,scream, even blink and couldnt and then as quick as it happened, it ended. Strange stuff I must say although it could have been a horrible, horrible dream that felt so real!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

tac foley wrote: »
    For many years now, longer than I can remember and since I was a child, just as I'm about to fall asleep, I experience a sudden flash of golden light that brings me back awake for a while. Just the one time when it happens, a sudden start as the 'light' happens, and then I go to sleep. I drive my wife bats, as I usually call out 'what was that?', even though I know what it was...

I also have the 'double waking' - I wake up and then, sit on the edge of the bed and look around and then - just when I'm about to stand up, I REALLY wake up and I'm still on my back or side...

...and I've often describe places I've never been to before I walk through the door. No, not famous places that I might have seen on TV, but mundane places that are just impossible for me to know about.

Spooky, eh?

tac

that is spooky!!! ever seen the film insideous??
    Maybe you can travel in your sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I had a granny dying premonition too and I don't know how to explain it. I was around 10 and may have picked up on what was happening that night with late night calls and the likes.

When I was 18 or so the summer I had my first car I was driving home late at night along a country road .I saw what I thought was an old man in front of the car, slammed on the brakes and, went right thru "him".

Got out, checked the road and ditch etc nothin. I checked the car for damage - nothing. Bright moon etc , light thru trees I thought , got back in the car.

The weather changed and it was bucketing down and just beside this very old graveyard I got a blow out of the back tyre. The only pull in space was the graveyard entrance. Being the cool guy that I am I changed the wheel and drove home nonchalantly -naht :pac:.

Now I am not saying there was a ghost hitching a lift for the 5 miles between the 2 spots but the next time my ma put a little bottle of holy water and rosary beads in the glovebox I thought "well why not".

After that night, nothing has spooked me.

There is a rational explanation for what happened and, even if I didn't accept the explanation there was only my own apprehension. So ,either way , its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just to explain - I am the biggest skeptic ever! I don't believe in any paranormal hocus-pocus nonsense.
    However:
    One night about two years ago I was woken by my wife mooching about in the bed. It was about 3am and a dark winter night. Every now and then she would peer over the duvet and then hide her head under it. This happened 3 or 4 times. I asked her if she was alright and she said that she wished that the spirit people would go away.
    I gently shook her and said that I thought she was having a nightmare.
    She said no, that she is fully awake. She then promptly fell asleep and left me awake all night peering over the duvet!

The next morning we were discussing it and she said that her Granny and her Dad were in the room wanting to tell her something but she didn't know what.

Anyway - a few days later we get a phone call to say her uncle had died recently, but his body had lain in the house for a few days before it was discovered. It turns out that he died the night that the spirit people were in our bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Was sitting in my house on my own twice when I've distinctly heard the front door open and close (very noisy front door, couldn't mistake it for anything else) but nobody has come in or out???

Another time, my old washing machine came on by itself? It was a button you had to pull out from the machine and you had to put a fair bit of effort in to do it.

Had sleep paralysis before as well, when you have it for the first time and don't know what it is it scares the bejesus out of you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Not so mucch a scary experience (I'm sure most people wont even find it interesting) but an odd one that left me perplexed.

I was in Easons on O'Connel street and noticed these two lads around 35 stereotypical "comic book guy" geekish over weight types with a heavy metal bands tour tshirt glasses bad beards. One of which was wearing a long black leather jacket and leather cow boy hat which was what drew my attention initially, I looked at them dismissed them as grown up nerds on way to graphic novel section. I then glanced at my watch and realized I was late for the dart and powerwalked out of the shop and broke into a jog up O'Connel street.

I reached the top of the street right (batchelors walk) on the quay and the exact same two lads walked right by me back down the street....

No chance of mistaken identity on account of distinctive clothing and geeky looks.....also anyone that knows Dublin will know there is no chance they could of some how made it out ahead of me then cut through the back streets and around the quay to walk by me unless they could move at warp speed.

It literally stopped me dead in the street. Jaw open staring at them..(nearly missed the dart)...I was seconds away from going back down the street after them and asking them were they just in easons.

To this day I wish I would of gone and said something (regardless of how crazy I would sound). Had me freaked!

BigDuffman wrote: »
    One of which was wearing a long black leather jacket and leather cow boy hat which was what drew my attention initially,

And what might be wrong with this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

CDFM you weren'tin easons last week by any chance where ya ;)

BigDuffman wrote: »
    CDFM you weren'tin easons last week by any chance where ya ;)

LOL no, but CDfm junior now has a coat just like that. :D

I upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Lost a black wooly hat last month and went everywhere looking for it. Next day I bought a new one. Last night I lost the new hat and did the usual trawl around looking for it. Went back into the canteen I was in earlier and asked the cashier did she find a black wooly hat. She pointed to the other side of the room. On a table was the hat except it was the one I had lost last month!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Ive got 2.

When I was 5 we lived in a flat, my bedroom had a cold oppressive atmosphere I never liked but it was all I knew.

At school we made things in craftwork out of cornflakes boxes, etc I made a ship.

I took it home, I slept with the light on cause I often woke up scared.

It was on a dresser in my bedroom, I awoke in the middle of the night and saw it go vertically up a wall. I was frozen with fear, eventually I called out and my mother came, I suppose she throught I had had a bad dream.

My brother shared my bedroom, hes 11 yrs older so was never home much, hes a total sceptic, I never told him or talked to him about the incident.

About 15 years ago a few of us were in a room having a drink, we got talking about the supernatural, my brother said, when he was young he once woke up and saw a thing I had made at school climb up the bedroom wall vertically......but he reconed he had just imagined it.....no word of a lie.

I recon it was a poltergeist experience.

Heres story 2

I was living in London, people were ringing up the radio sation about a diamond pulsating light over west London, I looked out and saw it in the distance, it was like no star or planet or helicopoter, I kept watching it, it took off suddenly very fast, people reported seeing it all the way to the south coast, it also made the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Had a very lucid experience the other night (hoping its a nightmare but seemed so very real and so different I don't know) - woke up in the middle of the night and my deceased grandmother is sitting on the couch in my bedroom. She suffered from Parkinson's when she was alive and was exhibiting the same kind of hunched symptoms. So I get up and "walk" over to her, and ask her how she is. She shakes her head as if to indicate not well. I ask her is she in heaven, and she shakes no, then whispered "hell." Then her face began to melt away and I woke up (standing!) in my bed, shouting. Under a lot of stress at moment so presuming it was a nightmare, but very unsettling.

The same woman told us some very unsettling stories from when she used to work in England. She was some form of a maid in one of these old English manors. For years periodically the same thing would happen. She would go up to her room at night and close the door, usually leaving it unlocked. In the middle of the night, perhaps 2-3 times a month, the door would open of its own accord then close. Footsteps could be heard across the floor, and a drawer would open on the other side of the room, then shut. Then that would be it. She tried locking the door, and the handle would be tried for about 10 seconds, before nothing else happened. I suppose nothing actually happened beyond that, but incredibly sinister all the same, like a lost spirit or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

I just had weird one. I dreamed I was having to unblock the sink, I went downstairs and my son has the sink full if bits of rice and other s...

This never normally happens.

Its not so much dreaming I find this things happen in, its more the state when you are half asleep.

Why is it never the lottery numbers ?:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 keith nev

what is it when u are listening to a song and a feeling from head too toe come upon u its such a good feeling it puts a smile on ur face ....i looked it up and apparently its called a musicgasim :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

A little thing happened to me when I was about 16, My granny was dying of cancer and was at home with the family gathered round. I had to drop books back to the library so rather then sitting around my mam asked me to head over, so she gave me money for the book fine and enough for my bus fare into town after.

I had a bad feeling and didnt want to go but did so anyways, the library fine was exactly 5e which my mam had given me so i wouldnt had enough money for the bus had my dad not given me extra money. So I headed round to the bus stop (which freaky enough is outside a big creepy house Numbered 666- always freaked me out).....Just as the bus came into view this big lady bird landed on my hand and I just stood there and stared at it in amazment-normally i shoo it away. It flew away just as my phone rang and it was my dad telling me to come back home, my granny died a few minutes before.

I wouldnt be a big religious or spiritual person but to this day I've this feeling it was my granny letting me know she was gone!.. was just weird!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

I was in bed and felt the matress sag as if someone sat on the side of the bed.. i looked around expecting to tell my brother to fúck off, but no-one was there.. so i put it down to being half asleep and getting that "falling sensation, and you jump awake"..

That happened about approx 10 years ago. I've since moved out and the exact same thing happened the other night. I was listening to my ipod and the side of the matress sagged, as if someone sat on the side of the bed..
    My wife was the only other person in the flat, but was watching telly at the time.

No drink/drugs involved.

get that all the time,think it's a nerve tremor or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

gizmorox wrote: »

My mistake I think? you actually saw or felt the bed sag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

My mistake I think? you actually saw or felt the bed sag?

Felt the side of the mattress sink/sag as if someone had sat on the side of the bed, looked, no one there.

Took a long time to convince my self I was drifting off to sleep and just imagined it, but I'm sure i felt it both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

When I was 6 I had a near fatal head injury.

At the same time my Dad and his friend were driving,and he had to pull over as he started to get an intense headache unlike anything he ever had. Apparently when they found out about it the two went pale.

I just found this part of the site and was about to go to bed..Now Im scared ****tless of a ghost appearing and m bed sagging hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mikel91 wrote: »
    I just found this part of the site and was about to go to bed..Now Im scared ****tless of a ghost appearing and m bed sagging hah!

:D Welcome aboard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DubRos

Was nearly fourteen when my nan died. She had been hospitalised for a few days when I went on a birthday sleepover. Woke up in the early morning absolutely sure she was dead. Felt very calm, comforted almost. Parents came to collect me and I knew straight away. Never a believer in ghosts, apparitions, whatever's but am still convinced that she came to tell me she was gone. My birthday was four days later, on the day she was cremated. Birthday card with cash in was found in her handbag. She was great my nan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I had a little white Jack Russell for nearly 14 years. He had to be put down last February, but for months afterwards I kept seeing white dog-size objects, just in the corner of my eye! I'm sure it's just my imagination (I'm very much a skeptic with these things), because I was so accustomed to seeing him lying in the corner and the likes.

Also, he used to sleep in the kitchen/dining room, way over in the corner. Often when I'd arrive in after a night out at like 3am, when I'd pop into the kitchen I'd hear him turning over in his bed, or sighing.
    The wierdest thing is that I still hear little sighs occasionally, which makes me think it might actually be a noise the fridge is making. :P
    And there I was for years thinking "Ah, poor thing, I must have woken him!"

face1990 wrote: »
    The wierdest thing is that I still hear little sighs occasionally, which makes me think it might actually be a noise the fridge is making. :P
    And there I was for years thinking "Ah, poor thing, I must have woken him!"

Or it could be guilt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I had a dog for 14 years too. She was a sweet thing used to like to sleep on one of the steps to the mud room in the sunny spot. Sometimes she would fall off. She had a collar with a little chain attached so you could lengthen it. When she passed I kept hearing her chain dangle as it hit the floor and I heard her fall off the step as she always had. I thought was in my head as I don't believe in ghosts. My mom was alive then and one day she said "I know you'll think I'm crazy but I still hear the dog"
    Seems like everyone in the house had been hearing her. I whispered to her that she could go on and I would take care of them until we were all together. Sounds silly to me still but the sounds stopped and we all had heard them???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Sat on the sky remote yesterday, and it flicked on challenge tv. Blockbusters was on. Haven't seen it in years.
    My wife is from "the country", she didn't have foreign channels as a kid.. so had never seen it.

We watched the whole show, yes even the gold run.

I read today that Bob died yesterday.
    Weird.

Rip Bob.

Advertisement