Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

MooseJam wrote: »
    has anybody tried taking out the town

which town?
    The one with all the mud huts built into the cliff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Finished it a few hour's ago the mission base's are quite enjoyable but getting to them and the storie itself is tiresome/aggravating or completely forgettable i really dont know why i was doing most of the mission's but then i didn't pay much attention to be fair.
    The ai enemys are crap apart from their almost pre natural ability to hit and see you from 8 miles away through a wall of tree's they are to easy to mow down,
    Some of the gun's are quite enjoyable such as the single shot/multiple barrel grenade launcher the biggest sniper rifle (cant remember its name) or the uzi but most are meh taking far to many bullets to take down a enemy for instance the shotguns habit of merely injureing npc's requiring you to go finish them off cause god knows 5 shotgun shells to the chest just doesn't put a adverage man down these days i blame gm food's myself.
    However as i said i found some part's enjoyable enough if only because watching a jeep go cart wheeling through the air and setting the surronding area on fire is quite satisfying mind you that might just be because the damn jeep partols are so ****ing annoying watching them burn to death is a joy...In the end it doesn't deserve the hype its adverage at best.

bizmark wrote: »
    ...In the end it doesn't deserve the hype its adverage at best.

I'm curious as to how they could ever make a successful sandbox FPS. I mean if they didn't have the checkpoints there would be vast areas with no bad guys at all. How do you give people the freedom to explore without making it boring to commute to each location?

I think they did a good job with this game but there is still room to improve on it. These are aspects I'd like to see if they are ever to make a Far Cry 3

- Better, organized AI for your buddies as well as the baddies
    - co-op support. It would be handy to either have an AI buddy or a real friend help with causing a distraction while you sneak in to complete your mission
    - Upgradeable transport options, I mean early on I can understand having to use run down cars and boats, but as you go on and make friends you should be able to hitch a ride on one of those crop dusters and halo drop to your objective.
    - Longer Range weapons, I would of liked, like in CoD4, if you get a long range sniper rifle and pick off a base from a few km's away.
    - better in vehicle GPS: Seriously, that thing is rubbish, I never use it, I always have to have my map out on my lap.
    - A better story and more character development: The story is so basic in this game it should of been called "Super Mario Far Cry".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I mean if they didn't have the checkpoints there would be vast areas with no bad guys at all

It is basicly a huge dead area with bearly any bad guys/npc's as it is every thing is concentrated in mission hubs (levels basicly) or check point's the rest is just crap your forced to bore yourself to death traveling through.

If they really wanted to go the "sandbox" route they could and should of livened the game world up quite a bit have random events going on like a attack's on a npc town you don't even need to take part its not a mission its just something thats going on or have military convoys rumbling around trying to keep order or transporting special weapons just liven up the damn game world a bit make it feel like your in a war zone the game wouldn't of suffered by having some non combatants just going about their business either make the game world more realistic feeling.
    Better, organized AI for your buddies as well as the baddies
    - co-op support. It would be handy to either have an AI buddy or a real friend help with causing a distraction while you sneak in to complete your mission
    - Upgradeable transport options, I mean early on I can understand having to use run down cars and boats, but as you go on and make friends you should be able to hitch a ride on one of those crop dusters and halo drop to your objective

Ya all these things would of made the game much more enjoyable because as it stand's i never even fought with a "buddie" they are never around there's very little point to them apart from sending you driveing around the map doing secondary mission objective's for reward's you can do with out but if the buddies came and fought with you or helped you out in some other fashion like transporting you in a aircraft or what ever it would be much more worthwhile to cultivate a relationship would make you more attached to them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

L31mr0d wrote: »
    which town?
    The one with all the mud huts built into the cliff?

no the main one where you go to get your missions, where theres a ceasefire, anyone saved their game and went on a rampage, I'll be trying it myself before I finish the game though I'm sure it's probably impossible to kill them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i tried one time and failed. its on my to do list though.

I'll just mention downright laziness - the side missions where you have to take out a convoy of the gun dealers competitor, the convoy is empty every time - there's nothing in the truck, how hard would it have been to put a few boxes in there

and make it go somewhere. i.e from the airfield to an arms dealers place rather than drive in circles.

"an hour from now a convoy is going from x to y"

and there should be a button to look at your watch. you have one, i've seen it in the safe houses.....sometimes i just wanto check the in game time.

no the main one where you go to get your missions, where theres a ceasefire, anyone saved their game and went on a rampage, I'll be trying it myself before I finish the game though I'm sure it's probably impossible to kill them all
    In the second Act, if you go to the phone towers you are usually given missions to kill someone in the center of town, I'll usually go to the edge of town and use a sniper rifle to kill him and then high tail it to the bus station
    but on one occasion I got on top of the building in the center of town (theres a ladder on the side) and just started picking off everyone. I think the people just keep respawning as I ran out of bullets before I ran out of health packs.

Just finished it, took me 23:27 , I'd imagine thats a bit on the slow side, overall I liked it, the game world is very cool and I enjoyed buzzing around in my jeep checking out the scenery, story wasn't up to much you must have changed sides 10 times , I just ignored it after a while. The missions themselves were pretty repetitive, maybe some more thought could have gone into them, "a target of opportunity has arrisen" ... The juns jammed far too frequently, would be a nice touch if it didn't happen at every firefight, and as said it took too many rounds to kill npcs. Would have been good as mentioned if there was stuff going on that didn't involve you, would have made the world more real. Good game though, I will definately pick it up at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just came across this - some amusing points about buddies, but more interesting are some of the comments afterwards, where one of the main devs drops in to explain why some things work the way they do.

*Warning - there are some oblique references to stuff that happens later in the game, although nothing really spoilerish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just started playing this tonight and I'm somewhat disappointed. It just doesn't seem fun or engaging.

There doesn't seem to be an option to change the mouse response
    The ingame map is huge and blocks about half the screen
    There is no permanent onscreen info
    I can't see myself enjoying the 'tourism' end of things as I've found it quite bland and uninteresting really

I'm only in the very early stages so perhaps my opinion will change, I hope so.

Just started playing this tonight and I'm somewhat disappointed. It just doesn't seem fun or engaging.

There doesn't seem to be an option to change the mouse response
    The ingame map is huge and blocks about half the screen
    There is no permanent onscreen info
    I can't see myself enjoying the 'tourism' end of things as I've found it quite bland and uninteresting really

I'm only in the very early stages so perhaps my opinion will change, I hope so.

keep going until you are at least 60% through it. I'm near the end now and I'm still liking it. Once you unlock the
    mounted grenade launcher
    you'll fly through those checkpoints like a knife through butter :D

I found I lost interest in it early on as I was expecting the pace of an FPS. For the first half you won't really get this, but the action and missions really pick up for the second half. Its worth playing through it even just to see the different scenery at each objective. The environment will impress you the more you are in it and see how it changes with different weather and at different times of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

1308673_bigthumb.jpg 1308674_bigthumb.jpg 1308675_bigthumb.jpg 1308676_bigthumb.jpg 1308677_bigthumb.jpg
    Few screenies from early on, I've since upgraded to the Dragunov SVD

A lot of my criticisms match the ones already mentioned, the checkpoints don't really bother me, it would be too easy to drive around with nobody in the way, but at the same time, everyone but about 3 or 4 people in the 50km² area hates you and rams you, shoots you or tries to blow you up until you are dead and eaten by wild crazy suicidal zebras! (they always run right out in front of me!)

The AI is a bit dodgy sometimes, running at you backwards with their gun facing away and the bullets still hitting you like Zorgs repeater from Fifth Element, one poor truck driver failed completely to see the river gorge between him and me and drove wildly into it killing himself and his gunner (I was reloading anyway, phew! :D)
    And my final gripe:
    1330481_427x97.jpg
    Happens a lot, like today when I took out everyone in the train yard on a mission and started walking in to the lovely cleared base... CRASHHH! :(
    Latest Forceware drivers and everything, PC specs below.

Completed it there about an hour ago. It's ok but kinda fizzled out at the end which was a pity as it could of went out with an almighty bang rather than the
    moral high ground

Also what is the point of the reputation? I mean I was at reputation level 5 and supposedly everyone thinks I'm a maniac to be avoided. yet at those checkpoints I don't see anyone running in fear of me.

Also, could someone explain the ending to me
    why did you end up working with the Jackal? I'm going to him expecting a gunfight and all of a sudden I'm now working with him? When did I agree to this?

btw, nice screenshots BopNiblets. I can tell you are using an nvidia card by the fact that in them you can see heads on some of the blades of grass. If you have an ATI card these don't display for some reason :rolleyes: another one of the many bugs in this game.

I'd prefer missing a few blades of grass than it crashing the graphics driver every so often. :(

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I'd prefer missing a few blades of grass than it crashing the graphics driver every so often. :(

have you applied the new update? I've found that Far Cry 2 stopped crashing to the my desktop when I applied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

has anybody tried taking out the town

I tried. I stocked up on full ammo/health, then picked a spot on the edge of town where they couldn't get around me and started. They just kept coming. It was a kill fest. Theres no chance of running out of ammo cause you can pick up the dropped guns, but in the end I ran out of health.

I only tried it once so I don't know if it's possible or not, but I'm thinking not.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    have you applied the new update? I've found that Far Cry 2 stopped crashing to the my desktop when I applied it.
    I patched it, still crashes, think it might just be my 8800GTS, first Vista problem I've had in a while.

And whoever it was looking for predatory animals, it seems they want to put them in with a patch (maybe the next one):
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=197605

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

BopNiblets wrote: »
    1330481_427x97.jpg
    Happens a lot, like today when I took out everyone in the train yard on a mission and started walking in to the lovely cleared base... CRASHHH! :(
    Latest Forceware drivers and everything, PC specs below.

thats a driver issue. I had the same on other games. Nvidia still haven't fixed the problem.

If i remember right, its an old .dll file that for some reason new drivers don't update.

One of the solutions was to go in and find the file in your system folder and replace it manually with an updated version for driver install folder.

I just booted to safe mode and wiped out all my nvidia drivers using driversweeper then installed new drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I still got a CTD earlier with the patch so it looks like its not fixed for some

Thrill wrote: »
    I tried. I stocked up on full ammo/health, then picked a spot on the edge of town where they couldn't get around me and started. They just kept coming. It was a kill fest. Theres no chance of running out of ammo cause you can pick up the dropped guns, but in the end I ran out of health.

I only tried it once so I don't know if it's possible or not, but I'm thinking not.

Suppose you could try planting explosives around the place, then setting them off, see can you wipe out half the town in one go, then mop up the rest.

MOH wrote: »
    Suppose you could try planting explosives around the place, then setting them off, see can you wipe out half the town in one go, then mop up the rest.

I'd say even dropping the IEDs would alert the guards. Even pointing your gun at one of them without firing for about a minute will freak them out to the point where they'll open fire on you.

I'd say your best option would be to sit on the edge of town in a truck with a mounted grenade launcher and just unleash hell on the town. Maybe also get one of the trainers that gives you infinite health.

i think youre grand useing IEDs, ive dropped them around the assination targets in town before and then gotten blow them from afar. im pretty sure i managed to leave without getting shot.

how are you all finding the mortar? im not really feeling it. i had to use google to find out how to use it properly and i hate how you cant fire a round and then immeniatly switch weapon. also you should be able to aim from side to side while firing a salvo.

im getting better at it, but i cant see myself using it much.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    im getting better at it, but i cant see myself using it much.

I didn't use it at all, what with the baddies having 20/20 eagle vision :rolleyes: I tried positioning myself about a click away from the target and sending off the marker shot. It wouldn't of even hit the ground before I was already being sniped, even if I was in camo and in the grass. Plus it takes too long to setup. It's much easier to just get the guided rocket launcher or semi-auto grenade launcher

the best i've done with it is to aim for a group of lads, miss and hit a fuel dump which sets the grass on fire and blows the ammo dump and a load of barrels. its makes all the firefights feel so violent when wverything around you is blowing up in the background.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    the best i've done with it is to aim for a group of lads, miss and hit a fuel dump which sets the grass on fire and blows the ammo dump and a load of barrels. its makes all the firefights feel so violent when wverything around you is blowing up in the background.

I was taking out an arms convoy, had just cleared out a guard post when I noticed the convoy approaching, dropped an IED in the road in the middle of the guard post and hid behind the building. Blew up the truck alright, but must have failed to notice a barrel or something else nearby full of explodium, which also went up, setting the grass on fire, along with a couple of other barrels and a fuel tank, the rest of the convoy, and whatever vehicles were parked nearby.

By the time everything quietened down, I felt like someone had just thrown a flashbang into the room.

Another small bad point - if you fire the silenced mp5 at a patrol they will hear it - even from far far away, some of the small things like that should have never slipped through they are so easy to check for

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Another small bad point - if you fire the silenced mp5 at a patrol they will hear it - even from far far away, some of the small things like that should have never slipped through they are so easy to check for
    Use a grenade launcher. It won't matter if they hear you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Has anyone been playing multiplayer much? After SecureRom, this matchmaking system is the biggest load of cock I've ever come across. Do I want to play a map consisting of 2 buildings on a 200sq m area? No. Do a get an option not to? No.

****ing hell I can't get over how bad the experience is. Not to mention the fact that it takes about 10 minutes to find an open server for the Uprising mode. It really looks like they did zero testing on the multiplayer experience.

Advertisement