Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers' make up

• 07-07-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey!
    Right,this is a very trivial question but it's one I've been wondering about. Would've posted in beauty but I would prefer to hear from other teachers. :)

I'm starting my first real teaching job at the start of the next academic year. When I was doing my training I was lucky to roll out of bed and smarten myself up with what I was wearing but, to be fair, I was travelling over an hour a day.

Now, I'm looking at working in the same place for a year. I enjoy wearing makeup and feel better for doing so, but obviously it needs to be school-friendly. Any ideas as to appropriate looks for teachers? I don't want to go over board. Are coloured lipsticks okay? How smokey would you go eye wise?

Again, totally vacuous, I have other things to be concerned with! But would love to know what people think...it'd be helpful :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I wouldn't be the world's greatest authority on makeup but only to say don't plaster yourself with it. There are some fierce shocking yokes going around covered in the stuff, and wearing far, far too much perfume. Just a hint of both is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I'd have to agree with the previous poster. Keep it simple and subtle. So maybe ease off on the smoky eye and colored lip:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely simple and smart. Nothing ott at all. In a lot of schools the kids will be banned from OTT makeup so only fair to not be rubbing it in their faces so to speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't wear make-up so not really in a position to comment, but maybe keep it simple for the first few days, much like you would with dress code and see what the lie of the land is in your staffroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wear the same amount of makeup that you would wear to a funeral. (Sounds a bit odd, but not if you think about it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Keep it simple and dress smart, you will be judged on your teaching and communication, not your looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

mockingjay wrote: »
    Keep it simple and dress smart, you will be judged on your teaching and communication, not your looks.

I don't know about that, teenage girls can be pretty 'pass remarkable' (dare I say, bitchy) so there will be a fair amount of judging based on your looks. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't know about that, teenage girls can be pretty 'pass remarkable' (dare I say, bitchy) so there will be a fair amount of judging based on your looks. :confused:

Why would you care about the opinion of a teenage girl? That and I wouldn't tolerate any comments of a personal nature made by students in my classroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Why would you care about the opinion of a teenage girl? That and I wouldn't tolerate any comments of a personal nature made by students in my classroom.

Maybe they're jealous because they can't wear make up. :-)

Advertisement