Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Transform wrote: »
    Was chatting to a client last week who works for Lidl as he needed some advice on whey protein, creatine, glutamaine etc. more of a quality question but turned out the products he showed me were aimed to be stocked in Irish stores so you might be able to get your whey in Lidl soon!!

Whey-hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ling-zing

i usually make these with whey (the baked version) and they turn out nice but a bit dry ,

but i got some milk protein last night and made these and there the king,kinda like those eleven "cereal" bars you get in the shop moist,squidgy super tasty

if using milk protein you'll need twice or more the amount of liquid as its very dry compared to whey also takes twice the amount of to bake but definitely worth it

the satiation is also better

recipe i used

base ingredients

170g milk protein
    400g almond milk
    2 eggs
    100g peanut butter
    70g honey

filling ingredients

120g oats
    55g walnuts
    40g brown linseed
    40g sunflower seed
    60g dried fruit

melt peanut butter,honey in mirowave for 45 seconds,leave to cool while you

mix protein ,milk,eggs together

add microwaved mixture when cooled

the add your fillings,mix again

grease some greaseproof paper i used coconut butter (not oil didn't want the coconut taste)

spread out on greaseproof paper on baking sheet

thrown in oven @ gas mark 3 for 40-55 min

makes 14

per serving

cal 225
    carb 16
    pro 14
    fat 11

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swansea

COH wrote: »
    No problem....
    150g Coconut Milk (you can use any milk really)
    85g cashew butter
    2 scoops of Protein

blend the above

Add;
    As much mixed seeds, dried fruit and nuts as you like and you can even include some rolled oats or banana. I opted to leave them out to make it low carb. They are still full of energy though;

I added 50g Linseed
    50g Seseme Seeds
    50g Sunflower seeds
    50g Raisins
    50g Gogi berries
    50g Walnuts
    tsp honey

Mix with the wet ingredients and put in baking tray or tin. I popped them in my muffin tin so that I wouldn't have to cut them afterwards.

Pop them in the oven for 20mins at 200 degrees c and BOOM now you have an awesome mid afternoon healthy, energy giving, protein filled snack!

enjoy x

I’m not an advocate of counting calories, fats and carbs instead I prefer to count the benefit of the ingredients i.e Protein to aid recovery and fuel training, mixed seeds and nuts which are typically high in fat BUT good healthy unsaturated fats which in moderation have huge benefits for the body with their high omega3 content and fibre. They can help improve cholesterol and digestion, control blood sugar and insulin levels. While this type of fat is healthy for you, it is still rich in calories. If you are trying to maintain or lose weight you might not want to have 4 in one go but one a day has its benefits. Not being biased but I would chose to make my own granola snack than purchase processed ones that may have lower fat content but ingredients such as whole grain oats, sugar, canola oil, yellow corn flour, honey, soy,brown sugar syrup, salt, soy lecithin, baking soda and “natural flavours” which may pose more harm to my body than good. In my view they are low in bad fats but have an abundance of good fats that have plenty of healthy benefits. Also, the ingredients can be tailor made to suit your own tastes and quantities. I have been struggling to find a good recipe with high protein, low carbs and good fat / low bad fat content for a while. This one was pure fluke!
    Calories per bar approx 50g per bar 175cal, Protein 9g, Carbs 13g, Fat 12g
    Typical processed granola bar approx 48g per bar; 190 cals, protein 4g, carbs 29g, fats 6g

Is cooking the cashew butter okay? Could I use almond/hazelnut butter as an alternative or is that not okay to cook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Has anybody tried Molasses as a substitute for maple syrup?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Has anybody tried Molasses as a substitute for maple syrup?

Try it and let us know how you get on.

To be honest the recipe I'm using for these bars has evolved over time and I've substituted and added ingredients and quantities based on whats in the press at any one time.
    Right now what I'm using is
    Chocolate whey, peanut butter, trail mix, honey, mixed nuts, oats. Dusted in cocunt to deal with the stickiness.
    Quantites of ingredients is based on shake the packet into the bowl until I think I have enough. The only thing I measure is the whey and thats only because it has a scoop with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

made these bars, thanks muffin

they are great. would love more recipes if any one else has some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Bid08 wrote: »
    made these bars, thanks muffin

they are great. would love more recipes if any one else has some?

Second the request for more recipes...I'm looking to use up a lot pumpkin seeds and brazils which are short dated, so i'm going to try and put them into a protein bar...Will be giving them a try Sunday and i'll report back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I found these online if anyone is interested
    Toasted Coconut and Vanilla Whey Protein Bars

Ingredients
    • 1/2 cup Vanilla Whey
    • 1/4 cup of [URL="javascript:nutrientpop('12109')"]Flaked Coconut[/URL] (try toasting your own!)
    • 1/4 cup of Coconut Flour
    • 1/4 cup of [URL="javascript:nutrientpop('1151')"]Milk[/URL]
    • 30 grams melted 85% Dark Chocolate
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size (Makes 3 medium-sized bars)
    Amount per serving
    Calories 212
    Total Fat13g
    Total Carbs8.8g
    Protein16.6g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

^^ What's the method?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My snack recipe is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64287769&postcount=2 courtesy of EileenG.
    I've got a recipe from Damien Maher floating about, I'll see if I can find it.

1/2 cup pecans
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/3 cup flaxmeal
    1/3 cup nut butter
    4-6 eggs
    pinch salt
    1/3 cup honey
    6 scoops protein powder

Mix all ingredients, put on oiled baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes at 175 C. I'm assuming you bash the nuts rather than use them whole.

The end result is a sort of brownie type texture - best under cooked a little, then it's still a bit gooey. Freezes well.

I've varied it over time. I tend to guess amounts rather than stick rigidly to the recipe. I usually reduce the honey and add crushed dark chocolate.

The nuts I use are whatever is in the press, but I try keep to low omega 6 ones (eg macadamia, almond, hazel) and I line the tray with grease-proof paper. Tray I use is 7.5 x 10.5 inches - a tad smaller would be ideal.

The protein powder can make the mixture too dry - so if adding that, 6-7 eggs. I am going to experiment by adding almond milk on my next batch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Made these over the weekend. Substituted Chocolate Whey for Chocolate Orange Whey (and I threw in a few Chocolate Chips just because I could ;) )

I must say, they're very very nice. Just like a Chocolate Orange oat bar. Gonna mess around with the recipe when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bonger

Great post. Probably a stupid question and apologies if it has already been asked and answered but in the original post, what is meant 'WPC scoops'??

i.e. 90g rolled oats (around 3 WPC scoops)

I'm assuming just use 3 regular protein scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Took this bad boy outa the freezer this morning. Layered the lunchbox beside it with thin foil and then cling film, the block slid right out this morning. Found it a lot handier than zip lock bag, plus it's easier to get a decent shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I thought these bars couldn't get any better but made a batch with chocolate caramel flavour protein amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Babyjane84

Hey, just made these today after finding this thread last night, substituted the maple syrup with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, used ground almond and used coconut instead of oats. Will be making these weekly !! Taste amazing, took under 5 mins to prepare before freezing and I got 8 bars out of it. Very happy lady here. Thanks OP for getting me on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Made these about a week ago for the first time. Was a sticky mess but edible none the less.

Made another batch tonight and this time swapped one third of the oats for desiccated coconut and also added in 200g of dark chocolate. They've turned out much better this time, much more like the consistency of a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Tried making these but forgot to put in the peanut butter and used way too much water. I was left with an unspeakable (but edible) mess. I tried it again following the instructions properly and they are goddamn good! Bit like a more substantial, less sweet Snickers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

IF someone who is trying to lose weight ate one of these for breakfast Monday-Friday would it be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

IF someone who is trying to lose weight ate one of these for breakfast Monday-Friday would it be okay?

Depends on what you do the rest of the time

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Depends on what you do the rest of the time

Well are they okay to replace a bowl of cornflakes and milk with? I am going to have an hour commute and these look easy to grab & eat in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Wondering if there's a recipe for people with nut allergies?

Well are they okay to replace a bowl of cornflakes and milk with? I am going to have an hour commute and these look easy to grab & eat in the car?

like he said, depends what you do the rest of the time.

your whole diet needs to be looked at for losing weight.

But almost anything is better than cornflakes.

like he said, depends what you do the rest of the time.

your whole diet needs to be looked at for losing weight.

But almost anything is better than cornflakes.

Don't worry Im not doing things in isolation and am interested in changing my diet and exercising. Never i did think it was just a simple question. Everyone has gotta eat breakfast and these look good. I was simply asking are they okay to eat every day for breakfast before work or what would be a better breakfast choice? I can't eat eggs in the morning,they make me gag

Don't worry Im not doing things in isolation and am interested in changing my diet and exercising. Never i did think it was just a simple question. Everyone has gotta eat breakfast and these look good. I was simply asking are they okay to eat every day for breakfast before work or what would be a better breakfast choice? I can't eat eggs in the morning,they make me gag

eat anything you like in the morning. steak and chips if you wish. its your diet as a whole that matters.
    Dont feel limited to "breakfast foods" or even eating breakfast.
    Dont over think things. Just eat simple, non-processed food.

(cornflakes are processed junk BTW)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Diaz

Nom Noms - must make these this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Transform wrote: »
    Was chatting to a client last week who works for Lidl as he needed some advice on whey protein, creatine, glutamaine etc. more of a quality question but turned out the products he showed me were aimed to be stocked in Irish stores so you might be able to get your whey in Lidl soon!!

Look like they got it in stock now. Took some pics for ye'

274139.jpg

274141.jpg

274142.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Diaz

Did these again but this time I put the mixture in a small baking tray and put them in the over for 20 mins at about 200.
    Left the whole "cake" to cool and then popped it in the fridge - no freezing

Quite nice - the edges have got a nice crisp crunch and top caramelized nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

is there a version that is in 40/30/30 ratio of carbs, protein and fat that is tried and tested? (very hard to search the thread for numbers)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Made these about a week ago for the first time. Was a sticky mess but edible none the less.

Made another batch tonight and this time swapped one third of the oats for desiccated coconut and also added in 200g of dark chocolate. They've turned out much better this time, much more like the consistency of a bar.

melted dark chocolate or just broken up and thrown in like almond pieces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

coconut flour from the ethnic shop? That's what I'm thinking of using if/when I make these soon. This would also make the bars low carb for those asking about that.

Did you try this with the coconut flour ? Was thinking of a coconut flour and almond flour mix. Maybe almond butter for peanut butter (but almond butter is quite expensive).

Advertisement