Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I don't download much at all really. Few gigs a week. But when I do it's from private trackers. My speeds are consistent as long as I'm using a well seeded item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Tazzle wrote: »
    utorrent-upc.jpg

^^ There's a shot of my utorrent from yesterday doing over 1,300k/s downstream. So in short, yes I do.

What the hell??? You are getting good download speed. I tried your setting and it did not work for me. Not sure what the f****** problem is :(

What about upload speed? How much you are getting? Looking at your screenshot its pretty low, only about 4-5kbp/s.

I guess upload speed is important as well or else your ratio will be screwed if you are using private tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Set the upload speed to be higher when not downloading. Set it at 4 or 5kb otherwise and see if that helps. Helps meh on eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dean_n

I'm on ntl in waterford and i'm actually getting 70kb/s down today instead of the usual 7kb/s. Still nothing compared to my normal 1.2mb/s though..but at least it's a sign of something being done I guess.

edit: up to 100kb/s now ooOoo excited.

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Rapidshare n00b??? not so n00b now . Use your bt protocal know how on a throttled line. lol

Quote a month old post and say it is invalid because of other users current experiences!!Well done Roc1977, really clever!

And you are wrong, i will edit this post with screens of down at 2.3mb/s on utor when i get home.

I have the same problem as everyone else with public sites and poorly seeded private torrents. The reason for this is cost, to explain:

NTL pay peerage fees to some external carriers (foreign isps) but not to others as they have "peerage agreements" with them. The peerage agreement means that they will not charge eachother for transit between eachothers networks.

NTL, being a company that wants to make money, then proceeds to traffic shape all data to carriers they have to pay peerage costs too and allows data to travel unhindered to other carriers they have peerage agreements with.

So if the torrent you are downloading is a well seeded torrent with lots of users on 100mb lines (dedicated servers usually are hosted on tier1 or tier2 networks...usually no peerage costs with ntl) or isps that have a peerage agreement with ntl then you will get unhindered speed. Even if a torrent has 100 seeds but these seeds are with isps with no peerage agreement with Ntl, well then you will be throttled and get rubbish speeds. This has always been the case, the differance now is that NTL use highly effective (beats encryption) throttling applications on non peer agreement traffic.

So what it boils down to is not only the number of seeds on a torrent but the network tier there isp is on and whether NTL have a peerage agreement with that isp or not. This unfortunatley means most public torrents and some private torrents will have a majority of budget isp users (tier 3) seeding, thus poor internetwork peerage, thus effective throttling, thus poor speed.

The problem here is quite complex but at least you know what you need to do to get better speeds. (and of course locally congested networks, poorly set up clients etc will account for alot of the issues here so what i am saying only applies if you have first optimized your home connection and eliminated the possibility of local congestion)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

you with UPC?
    i am sick of it a 20 mb service and i max out at 30 k when i use bit torrent or u torrent
    there must be a way around this

yeah Im with upc on 20mb. i am back to 2.2MB/s today :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

So from what I've read here there is no FIX for this.. all I see is people posted they are getting good speeds or bad speeds,

I hope they just stop it lol...

NeVeR wrote: »
    So from what I've read here there is no FIX for this.. all I see is people posted they are getting good speeds or bad speeds,

I hope they just stop it lol...

lol...ya, your right NeVeR, there is no quick fix apart from selecting which torrents you download by how well peered Ntl are with the seeders ISP!
    Some are lucky enough to have access to sites with lots of users on tier 1 and tier 2 networks but most are not...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

david7536 wrote: »
    lol...ya, your right NeVeR, there is no quick fix apart from selecting which torrents you download by how well peered Ntl are with the seeders ISP!
    Some are lucky enough to have access to sites with lots of users on tier 1 and tier 2 networks but most are not...

hhhmmm this makes sense. I get poor upload on private sites too, I guess because seedboxes don't want upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Anyway I've heard UPC is giving up torrent throttling. Too many complaints.

You may be right, I got 450KB/sec on a private torrent last night. They may be easing up a bit.

• Advertisement

I have access to places where there are 5000 seeders and less then 100 leachers and still not going over 20kbps downloads !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Quote a month old post and say it is invalid because of other users current experiences!!Well done Roc1977, really clever!

And you are wrong, i will edit this post with screens of down at 2.3mb/s on utor when i get home.

I have the same problem as everyone else with public sites and poorly seeded private torrents. The reason for this is cost, to explain:

NTL pay peerage fees to some external carriers (foreign isps) but not to others as they have "peerage agreements" with them. The peerage agreement means that they will not charge eachother for transit between eachothers networks.

NTL, being a company that wants to make money, then proceeds to traffic shape all data to carriers they have to pay peerage costs too and allows data to travel unhindered to other carriers they have peerage agreements with.

So if the torrent you are downloading is a well seeded torrent with lots of users on 100mb lines (dedicated servers usually are hosted on tier1 or tier2 networks...usually no peerage costs with ntl) or isps that have a peerage agreement with ntl then you will get unhindered speed. Even if a torrent has 100 seeds but these seeds are with isps with no peerage agreement with Ntl, well then you will be throttled and get rubbish speeds. This has always been the case, the differance now is that NTL use highly effective (beats encryption) throttling applications on non peer agreement traffic.

So what it boils down to is not only the number of seeds on a torrent but the network tier there isp is on and whether NTL have a peerage agreement with that isp or not. This unfortunatley means most public torrents and some private torrents will have a majority of budget isp users (tier 3) seeding, thus poor internetwork peerage, thus effective throttling, thus poor speed.

The problem here is quite complex but at least you know what you need to do to get better speeds. (and of course locally congested networks, poorly set up clients etc will account for alot of the issues here so what i am saying only applies if you have first optimized your home connection and eliminated the possibility of local congestion)

Relax bud I was only stating that just because someone uses rapidshare doesn't make them a n00b lol. I use both torrents and rapidshare. Which ever has my TV shows up first. What your saying about tiered ISP makes sense. But I'm with 6 or 7 private trackers and still not getting good speeds anymore. I was getting 2.3mb for the same sources two weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My speeds went back up to normal this morning. Let's hope the stay up!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

the best ive managed to get too is 800 kb/s hope my speed comes back completely

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

dhaddock wrote: »
    yeah Im with upc on 20mb. i am back to 2.2MB/s today :D:D
    could you please post all of the settings with whatever client you are using ? ? i cant get near those speeds

Many thanks in advance

where are you guys based,,, that are getting the speeds back ?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

NeVeR wrote: »
    where are you guys based,,, that are getting the speeds back ?..
    I'm around the Dundrum area and my speeds have gone up to 100kb/s max with a green smiley as opposed to 10kb/s. I think they're going a bit easier on the throttling ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

WHAT are web seeds?

Also can anyone tell me of a service that allows me to remote uploads to torrents? (Preferbly free like rapidshare http)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

my torrent speeds are back to normal tonight

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

barnicles wrote: »
    WHAT are web seeds?

Also can anyone tell me of a service that allows me to remote uploads to torrents? (Preferbly free like rapidshare http)
    You want to create a torrent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

MooseJam wrote: »
    my torrent speeds are back to normal tonight

Same here:)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You want to create a torrent?

Yes and because i'm getting hit by MediaSentry i would like to upload to a server and ddl like rapidshare's service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yes and because i'm getting hit by MediaSentry i would like to upload to a server and ddl like rapidshare's service.
    I dont think you understand how the bittorrent protocol works.

If you want to create a torrent, you need to create it in a program such as utorrent, submit it to a tracker site, and then seed to others.

I'm not a fool, jmc, what i want to do is create a torrent and then seed.
    My last post was about something completely different altogether. I want to dl what i want to dl to a server and them ddl it like rapidshares http service

I'm not a fool, jmc, what i want to do is create a torrent and then seed.
    My last post was about something completely different altogether. I want to dl what i want to dl to a server and them ddl it like rapidshares http service
    The way you worded your question was shite.

I asked did you want to create a torrent and you said yes.
    I told you how.

Oh ffs, all i wanted to know is what web seeds were? And do rapidshare etc. Let me remote upload torrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Oh ffs, all i wanted to know is what web seeds were? And do rapidshare etc. Let me remote upload torrents?

I think I know what you're saying. :P

What you need is to rent a dedicated server or seedbox as it is called on torrent sites. You can then remote access it and use it download and upload torrents, you could then copy them to your PC.

I can't recommend any sites or anything as I have never done but they are quite popular on some private torrent sites.

If you get into Newsgroups on Usenet you wont go back to torrents.

Less user friendly but hella woth it in the end.

Also if you are using bitorrent or any p2p software make sure you use peerguardian there are thousands to millions of fake peers set up to grind p2p to a halt.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.vectoral.info/servers.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Same here:)

:mad: Back down again

Advertisement