Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking Boots

• 21-09-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I need a pair of hiking boots, and unfortunately the budget is limited (€70 ish). In that price range the options seems to be either Regatta or Hi-Tec. Just wondering what people's opinions are as to which is a better brand?
    I know, if I spend a little more I'll get a much better shoe, and the waterproof capabilities of these brands will be short-lived, but thats what I'm limited to. Opinions appreciated, Regatta or Hi-Tec?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I don't know about regatta, but I'd a pair of hi tecs I got bout 6 months out of them. I'd a pair of karrimoors too got a bit longer out of them. Neither could hold a match to my meindls tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Finnt wrote: »
    I don't know about regatta, but I'd a pair of hi tecs I got bout 6 months out of them. I'd a pair of karrimoors too got a bit longer out of them. Neither could hold a match to my meindls tho!

meindl's, I wish:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Would you consider going to one of your local shoe shops , and pay them a few euros weekly .

You would be surprised at how quickly you would have the full amount paid off .

Would you consider going to one of your local shoe shops , and pay them a few euros weekly .

You would be surprised at how quickly you would have the full amount paid off .

thanks, but no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

kelbal wrote: »
    meindl's, I wish:rolleyes:

Check amazon for karrimoor ksb boots,
    As well sometimes army surplus places have army edition meindls on the cheap. I've seen them on ebay

• Advertisement

Finnt wrote: »
    Check amazon for karrimoor ksb boots,
    As well sometimes army surplus places have army edition meindls on the cheap. I've seen them on ebay

Thanks, those Karrimors look the business. I have bought shoes online before, but I do like having the option of returning them to the store if I'm unhappy for some reason. I'd probably have to pay quite a bit in postage to return them to the UK if they weren't right size-wise

Would you try EBay? Or a site with a buy and sell section like UKClimbing.com?

Risky, of course, but if you have a definite idea of your size...

I know people will complain about the fit and all that, and say you need to go to a proper outdoors shop etc. But some of the great mountaineers got by on hobnail boots with nails hammered in. Was looking for a pair of crampon compatible boots last year, didn't want to spent a fortune on boots that might only get used a few weekends of the year here. Bought Scarpas second hand on UKClimbing.com for about €40, used Parcel Motel to reduce the postage, and they are perfect. Any fit issue was sorted out with an insole. Do make sure to get pics of the sole beforehand. Worked out far better for me than my first pair of boots, HiTec, bought in an outdoors shop, lasted a few weeks and burst (though on the other hand I did at least get credit in the shop).

Or else just keep an eye on TK Maxx, you'd be surprised at what lands in there.

Thanks. Actually went and bought a pair of these....

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/KM327/Karrimor-Mens-Barney-Weathertite-Hiking-Boots-Brown

Took a chance on the size because there was an OK returns policy - but they worked out perfect.

They seem a good quality boot for the price.

Thanks Finnt for the Karrimor recommendation!!

Thanks. Actually went and bought a pair of these....

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/KM327/Karrimor-Mens-Barney-Weathertite-Hiking-Boots-Brown

Took a chance on the size because there was an OK returns policy - but they worked out perfect.

They seem a good quality boot for the price.

Thanks Finnt for the Karrimor recommendation!!

They actually look very decent for the price. Leather is good, particularly coming into winter. I'm not a fan of thinsulate, and I guess if I was being very snobby I do like Vibram soles, but seem impressive for €70. Good luck with them and maybe give a report back some time...I'm always interested in boots at the less expensive end...as you may have guessed from my EBay post above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Hi Guys,
    I need a pair of hiking boots, and unfortunately the budget is limited (€70 ish). In that price range the options seems to be either Regatta or Hi-Tec. Just wondering what people's opinions are as to which is a better brand?
    I know, if I spend a little more I'll get a much better shoe, and the waterproof capabilities of these brands will be short-lived, but thats what I'm limited to. Opinions appreciated, Regatta or Hi-Tec?

thanks

I have brought HI-tec's ("falcons" IIRC) , they are great for price about 50 euro
    Brought em on impulse when i was in buying runners
    surprised by quality for price, wear them for all but the most strenuous stuff
    excellent waterfproofing and hardwearing
    IF you just doing light to moderate stuff they are ALL one needs IMO.
    I think they will wear out faster than more expensive brands though

Don't know about regatta but I think they are bad brand do a search on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Nautilus72

Hi Karrimor ksb boots were €215 now reduced to €72 and €5.99 shipping. Also Karrimor Transits reduced from €235 to €68.99. PM for details.

Nautilus72 wrote: »
    Hi Karrimor ksb boots were €215 now reduced to €72 and €5.99 shipping. Also Karrimor Transits reduced from €235 to €68.99. PM for details.

already bought karrimors, thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I bought a pair of hi tech trail shoes a few years back as an everyday pair of shoes and couldn't fault them wore them most days for a year and they were great walked in them too.
    got a pair of grisport terrains for €60 in a sale last year have been wearing them full time they also did the second day of the dingle way and my feet were perfect after it.

I have wide feet and I'm a fat lad.:o so both of those would do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Msquack

Hi, can someone recommend hiking shoes/boots. I am size six female with medium width feet. I have high arches so looking for good support. I used to have the plum merrell siren sport gore tex. They fit so good. Anyone know of anything similar in a 80-100 euro budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Scarpa might suit they have a thinner fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Climbing Machu Pichu this summer....just wondering would anyone here have any recommendations of the kind of footwear I should purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

my hi-tecs, lasted about a year, both pairs. Have Lowa Renegades now, theyre perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Mine are berghaus. Got them off amazon for under a hundred euro a while ago. Made of gore tex, completely waterproof. Best boots ever!

Advertisement