Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3g unlock released, anyone have success with it on irish networks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

Two reasons I'm waiting for a few days or weeks to install this:

1) I want a version that works out the bugs with SIM cards (like the O2 one) that have SIM toolkit application menus.
    2) There's talk (from MuscleNerd of the dev team) that they might provide a tool to allow an upgrade of the 2.1 baseband for those who followed the original instructions and used Pwnage to leave that baseband in place. This might allow us to install yellowsn0w without having to lose all our SMS, app settings, etc. (which is what will happen if we just Restore to 2.2, then Quickpwn).

Yeah, i can understand that. I think thought that it only involves removing and reinserting sim whenever you switch on

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

scottyboy wrote: »
    My only thought during the process is: did you update Cydia when first opening as requested by Cydia?

thanks!

I did.

Have you got the installer app aswell? Maybe try installing yellowsn0w through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Now this is weird!

Is appears the time left in Airplane Mode is critical. Leave in this mode for more than 10 secs after inserting new SIM and getting No Service then remove from mode and success.

Meteor, Vodafone Irl and 3 Irl all working for Out/In Calls. 3 tested for data too! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

I'm having major trouble right now with this :(

Got my iPhone tother day from Northern Ireland, and now im trying to unlock it.
    I downloaded quickpwn 22-1, and when i try to jailbreak it, it just sticks onto trying to connect with "wait for your iPhone to connect with recovery mode" or something like that

any ideas? just dying for my iphone to be unlocked D: ta

I downloaded quickpwn 22-1, and when i try to jailbreak it, it just sticks onto trying to connect with "wait for your iPhone to connect with recovery mode" or something like that

sounds like your having trouble getting it into dfu mode, try this tutorial
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881

it will work, dont worry

let us know how the unlock work out and what carrier you are with, if you have any problems post them to this board

• Advertisement

scottyboy wrote: »
    Now this is weird!

Is appears the time left in Airplane Mode is critical. Leave in this mode for more than 10 secs after inserting new SIM and getting No Service then remove from mode and success.

Meteor, Vodafone Irl and 3 Irl all working for Out/In Calls. 3 tested for data too! smile.gif

how about the warned problem with sim application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Are you on a mac? If so, connect the iPhone through a USB hub and it should work.

If not, I don't know what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I had been unsuccessful until about 10 mins ago with a Vodafone Sim in my O2 IRL contract phone. I tried this from the http://blog.iphone-dev.org website and my iPhone now works with Vodafone IE

"This tutorial assumes you have already updated your baseband to 2.28, pwned ur device, installed cydia and yellowsn0w.

1. After reboot with your O2 sim, wait as least a minute
    2. Go to settings > carriers > wait for the search to complete and "automatic" to be selected ( you should get a error message saying that unable to load list, just click Ok.)
    3. While still in the carriers menu, remove the O2 sim and insert your non O2 sim into the Iphone (Extremely important that you don't exit from the carriers sub menu or not this method will not work)
    4. When you insert the new sim, you should get a status message as "NO SERVICE". If you get status message with no bars or invalid sim, THIS METHOD HASN'T WORKED ! Start from the beginning and follow this tutorial to the TEE !!
    5. follow this method from step 2 onwards to change between sim cards"

If you turn off the phone, you will need to repeat the above steps, but it's a workaround for anyone stuck for a while until the next version of yellowsn0w is released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

Are you on a mac? If so, connect the iPhone through a USB hub and it should work.

If not, I don't know what the problem is.

thanks for your help but somehow, i actually got it sorted
    i have now yellowsn0w installed and all

except now im just getting invalid sim when i insert my meteor sim into the iphone :(
    that above technique doesnt seem to work for me either
    tried it once or twice :/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

coadyj wrote: »
    how about the warned problem with sim application?

I'm not 100% sure if any of these networks have apps built into their sims as suggested by dev team. I think the Irish networks prefer to vandalize your phone with branded firmware instead.

Saying that, the sims don't work straight off, you do need to remove the sim to activate the unlock.

Thanks for all the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Got it working on a AT&T iphone with o2 following this:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61827

Judging from the conversations on the hackint0sh forums, this solution is not ready for prime time. There seems to be a lot of voodoo (i.e., step-by-step lists of instructions that have nothing to do with the way the software is supposed to work) involved in getting the thing to work on some configurations.

I'll wait until it's out of beta.

Judging from the conversations on the hackint0sh forums, this solution is not ready for prime time. There seems to be a lot of voodoo (i.e., step-by-step lists of instructions that have nothing to do with the way the software is supposed to work) involved in getting the thing to work on some configurations.

I'll wait until it's out of beta.

if your on a sim proxie i would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Yellowsn0w beta 0.94 now getting signal ok after normal reboot on Vodafone. Outgoing calls not working though yet. It's nearly there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 damo2006

I'm trying to do this now, I am trying to Jailbreak the phone first.

I have downloaded Quickpwn 22-1, I open the application on my laptop, the iphone is connect via the USB, the stage it brings me to is to Browse my laptop for the firmware i am running, it won't let me type it in, it requires me to browse my lap top for it, but I' can't find the file it wants...

I am on Vista on Pc

Also i am running v2.1, do i need to update to v.2.2 before or after i Jailbreak the phone, if so how do i update it, can't see it on itunes

Any help appreciated

damo2006 wrote: »
    I'm trying to do this now, I am trying to Jailbreak the phone first.

I have downloaded Quickpwn 22-1, I open the application on my laptop, the iphone is connect via the USB, the stage it brings me to is to Browse my laptop for the firmware i am running, it won't let me type it in, it requires me to browse my lap top for it, but I' can't find the file it wants...

Any help appreciated

You'll have a better chance of getting an answer if you specify whether you're on a mac or a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 damo2006

You'll have a better chance of getting an answer if you specify whether you're on a mac or a PC.

post edited ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Its working fine for me with 3Ireland and Vodafone Ireland and 02 Ireland in a UK iphone locked to UK o2.

It did not work until I downloaded the latest yellowsn0w 0.9.1? via Installer, not cydia.

I followed the instructions on a few sites, which all mostly seem to be the same, apart from a few things. I think its just a case of trial and error. It finds signal pretty much instantly when I put a new sim in, the only thing is with 3Ireland I have to enter the APN for data ever time

Referring back to the first page of this post, I have to 100% agree with Cody, there is no risk in doing this, even if Apple could (which they cant) bring out an update to brick the phones, just dont get the update, its that simple.....but thats not the way this hack works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 willymcgonagle

Godskitchen, I'm trying to unlock a O2 iPhone from the North so I can use my Vodafone prepaid sim but I cant get it to work. Would you be able to talk me through exactly what you did? Cheers

I uninstalled yellowsn0w, rebooted and reinstalled it via Installer but the 0.9.1 (I now read thet 0.9.4 is out, seems to be working best for USA people)

I did this all this with the 3ireland sim installed, once yellowsn0w was installed I went back to the home screen and still nothing was showing on the signal icon, just like when the phone is locked.

I then turned off everything, 3g, wifi, edge, mail accounts (I dont think you need to turn off more than 3G but to be safe I did it all)

I then rebooted via Bosspreffs, this step seems to be crucial, just turning off the phone in the normal way did nothing.

Once rebooted, leave the phone for a minute on the lock screen, then unlock and for me at least 3IRL showed up. Some people have said you need to put it in to flight mode and then out of it to get it to kick in. It just worked for me without needing to do that. I can make calls, texts and use the data on voda and three.

Hope this helps.

It seems to be hit and miss in a lot of places, stick with it, it took me a few goes all in all.

Godskitchen, I'm trying to unlock a O2 iPhone from the North so I can use my Vodafone prepaid sim but I cant get it to work. Would you be able to talk me through exactly what you did? Cheers

This also seems to be working for a few people

1. removed the yellowsn0w beta 0.9.1 program with cydia
    2. removed the yellowsn0w source from cydia
    3. added the yellowsn0w source in cydia
    4. installed the yellowsn0w beta 0.9.4 with cydia
    5 reboted the iphone with bospreffs, i dont think that bosspreffs way of reboting is anydifferent than the normal way of just turning it of and on again.
    6 airplane mode on and off.
    now it worked, i turned 3g on, and edge, lost signal and the bars went to zero signal, so i reboted, and swiched airplane mode on and off. hmm
    excecuted yellowsnow -r
    and now it works, edge and caling and sms but not 3g

• Advertisement

cheers mate, that worked but I cant make calls?! I can send and recieve texts and can receive calls, Ne ideas?

cheers mate, that worked but I cant make calls?! I can send and recieve texts and can receive calls, Ne ideas?

........not sure...... do you have another sim you could try and see how that works, short of that, it could be a reinstall and do the process again...

........not sure...... do you have another sim you could try and see how that works, short of that, it could be a reinstall and do the process again...

put it into airplane mode then out again

or

remove chip and reinsert it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭crazydingo

I have successfully unlocked my iPhone, although saying that, I only have a Meteor sim (and not a Vodafone or 3 sim).
    But I have made a call with the Meteor sim installed and it worked so I'm happy :D

I just updated to the 2.2 FW then used QuickPwn. once Cydia was installed I used the yellowsn0w repository to download the program (version 0.9.4) and it worked straight off the bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 theleague

as of now yellowsnow 0.9.4 unlocked tested

from 02 irish network 3g iphone using:
    meteor = outgoing calls ok; incoming calls ok; send text ok, receive text ok
    vodafone= outgoing calls NOT Ok; incoming calls ok; send text ok, receive text ok

from AT&T US 3G iphone
    vodafone= outgoing calls NOT Ok; incoming calls ok; send text ok, receive text ok
    02=outgoing calls ok; incoming calls ok; send text ok, receive text ok

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

theleague wrote: »
    as of now yellowsnow 0.9.4 unlocked tested

from 02 irish network 3g iphone using:

from AT&T US 3G iphone
    02=outgoing calls ok; incoming calls ok; send text ok, receive text ok

have you tried switching off 3g?

vodafone outgoing calls try this

Here is the solution for you:

Step 1: Goto Setting
    Step 2: Phone
    Step 3: Show My Caller ID
    Step 4: ON

can we post some results too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Got it working today, which is lucky as it appears that the bypass sim I bought a couple months ago stopped working yesterday. This was my second attempt as I could not get it working yesterday, I followed the instructions on the iclarified website.
    Network is three by the ways, sms are working as are phone calls.

• Advertisement

coadyj wrote: »
    vodafone outgoing calls try this

Here is the solution for you:

Step 1: Goto Setting
    Step 2: Phone
    Step 3: Show My Caller ID
    Step 4: ON

can we post some results too

didnt work for me, still not able to make calls. hopefully the dev team will fix it. not sure theres anything i can do myself and it seems to be a problem for a few people

Advertisement