Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boat sales

• 30-09-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Has any body any experience with cruiser sales/brokers on the Shannon getting bad reports of a few of them and I m worried as I thinking of buying a cruiser????????

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't think you can blame any of the brokers selling the boats as it's up to the buyer to have the boat checked out before they buy as most second hand boats are sold as seen. The market is very slow at the moment so I'd say any broker would do their best to make a deal especially if it's a new boat and the last thing they want is an unhappy buyer.
    What sort of bad reports are you hearing "without naming names" as I haven't herd any and I have big ears :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's only one "broker" that I know of on the Shannon that has a shocking reputation, the rest seem reasonably legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I know someone who bought a cruiser on the Shannon a few years back - he got a survey done, which highlighted a number of issues.
    He paid the broker to fix them and when he then had the boat transported to her new port on the Cork coast he realised that the quality of the work was diabolical - wiring used was not marine grade, seats were recovered over rotten bases, electrical items not earthed properly, etc. (lots of corners cut)
    He ended up spending a lot of time and effort trying to get the brokers people to fix stuff and in the end paid a local guy to fix it.

I bought my boat privately on the Shannon and I have to say I've been very happy - however I used a local (to me) surveyor and got all work done by people I knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Broomboater

Hi all
    Worried I might pick that wrong one
    I been told of one in co Galway near derg no word etc etc
    Then one in Leitrim Longford borders who at the moment has sold a number of boats but forgot to pass on the money to original owners now new owners are at risk of losing boat and money

Comments please ???????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Did the new owners get a receipt from the brokers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Broomboater

Only know some did not but were promised it would follow
    Others got doc s with owners name forged

Not good eh

It might be worth posting in the "Legal Discussion" forum, maybe a threatening letter to take them to the small calms court. I take it was a cash deal and not a check made out to the broker.

Advertisement