Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

garda college

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

If we both get in Carzony, I'll give you golf lessons ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    IF I make it down, that's a big if, I won't be drinking much at all. I don't work well with a hangover and I'm there to learn, not get drunk! Will be home at the weekend's for that! :p

You say that now but when the pay cheque comes in on Thursday you'll be straight down to Murphy's for some decent grub followed by a few cold ones and then on to Polly's for one last one before lockdown. You do need to unwind down there at times and it's a great way to get to know your classmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

what time ya supposed to be back to the college at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

thestar wrote: »
    what time ya supposed to be back to the college at night?

11pm if you don't sign out when you leave, 11:30pm if you did sign out but you have to be signed back in by 11:30 and there can be a queue of people signing in.

Bloodwing wrote: »
    11pm if you don't sign out when you leave, 11:30pm if you did sign out but you have to be signed back in by 11:30 and there can be a queue of people signing in.

Couldn't see things ever getting too crazy if people have to be back by those times, unless of course I suppose you start at around 5 or 6 which is probably what happens..

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just a fatty but 3 the 3 square meals that are given down there would not keep me going either.. Plenty of Guinness every evening would keep me topped up however

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

oh crap im a vegetarian with vegan tendancies I dont suppose they cater for dietary requirements? If im not allowed a fridge what will I eat (if I get in of course).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Swimming Pool (can only be used during certain times outside of class hours)
    A gym with a decent selection of equipment.
    A small shop.
    The Coffee Dock (A large room with one TV and lots of chairs, a coffee machine and a vending machine)
    The Rec (This is a bar that's normally staffed by students, I would be surprised if they reopen it, it caused a lot of problems!)
    There's a pool table and TV upstairs in the Rec which you could use at anytime even when the bar was closed.
    A Library which obviously contains policing related books and past students dissertations.
    A computer room with restricted internet access which is used mostly for study and completion/ printing of course work.

The canteen serves food at certain times during the day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch was always busy so you could get soup and a sandwich in the coffee dock if you preferred.

The golf course at the back of the college has tennis courts which you can use but I'd imagine there will be a fee.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but if there's anything specific you are looking for just ask.

When it was a British Army base there was several local women providing "relief" services. Not sure if they are still any of those services available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    When it was a British Army base there was several local women providing "relief" services. Not sure if they are still any of those services available

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Somebody asked what the day Consisted of.
    I was an early riser, say 7ish, would get out go for a run, back by half and shower before rest of the floor were up yet. Breakfast opened at 8. Don't expect anything gourmet, or even a fry. You will have a choice of cereals, toast, a boiled egg, tea or coffee. This is all free.
    I'd then head back to room, get it ready incase of inspection. For inspection you get told at parade you were being inspected in 5 minutes, the room was always checked with you present.
    Get books/uniform/running gear etc then ready depending on what was on for the day. On parade mornings usually a quick press of the trousers and shirt collar then followed.
    Classes start at 9, tea/coffee break at 11, you have to pay for this break, then lunch at 1.
    With the reduced numbers it won't be as bad as we had it with split lunches and queues out the door. And the frantic cap hunt when you'd forgotten which hole you'd left it in, tip: try use the same one every day. The food is fine there were always 2 if not 3 options and a salad bar also. This again is free, soft drinks/pint of milk were charged for, and you also get a desert. Don't be thinking banoffee pie more jelly/icecream or apple/custard.
    Afternoon classes then till 5.
    The evening is then your own, there's plenty to be studying especially as it gets closer to the exams. Group projects to be completed too. I'd recommend a laptop and dvds too.

Wednesday finishes at 2 for everyone to partake in some sort of group/sporting activity. I was the last big intake and with smaller intakes it's easier for them to monitor that you do something.

The handball alley is foam floored and there is a sports hall, in my day that needed to be booked for 5 a side or what ever you want.

The town is quiet enough and I'd say a lot quieter now I'd say with the college being so quiet.

There is no personal cooking facilities. Microwaves, toasters, kettles would all be considered a fire hazard and aren't allowed in the room but there was always a way around it.

The rooms are basic but do the job.
    stargazer9 wrote: »
    Purely out of idle curiosity, is there much 'coupling up' between students in the Garda college?
    If there is, where do they do the bold thing if men aren't allowed in the women's dorms and vice versa?

It's amazing how many people I met on my early run that wouldn't usually be out running in very small/ very big college tracksuits and going out runners ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Is there much running involved in Templemore ( as in compulsory running )?

mickaleen wrote: »
    Is there much running involved in Templemore ( as in compulsory running )?

When I was there you had to do 1.5 miles in I think 11:30 for men and 13:30 for women.
    To be honest ye guys will be there for 9 months, I used to say there was no excuse for not getting to that standard in 6 months, really no excuse for 9 months. It all depended who your pe lecturer was for how much running you did in classes

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Would you have to do that ( 1.5 ) every day?? I'm just trying to gauge what's involved. Thanks for your replies.

mickaleen wrote: »
    Would you have to do that ( 1.5 ) every day?? I'm just trying to gauge what's involved. Thanks for your replies.

God no, that's the exam distance, but the more you do it the easier it is. Plenty of long runs around the town too. 1.5 miles is not far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

gerire wrote: »
    God no, that's the exam distance, but the more you do it the easier it is. Plenty of long runs around the town too. 1.5 miles is not far

Yeah, it's only 2.4k, anyone relatively sports fit shouldn't be a huge amount off that pace I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Yeah, it's only 2.4k, anyone relatively sports fit shouldn't be a huge amount off that pace I reckon.

my 9 stone mate done a 2k distance for the army test a few weeks ago and he has never seen a gym in his life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

carzony wrote: »
    my 9 stone mate done a 2k distance for the army test a few weeks ago and he has never seen a gym in his life :D

Only 9 stone, sure he's only a pup

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

carzony wrote: »

The wind was behind him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

mfergus wrote: »
    The wind was behind him...

.. and he was goin down hill

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

WilcoOut wrote: »
    .. and he was goin down hill

While chasing a bread van...

I'll stop now, this could go on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 OriginalR

Grew up in Templemore and the Garda College, had numerous students stay in my house over the years and know the college like the back of my hand. Had enough of it as a kid so not going down that career route.
    Since the college closed and recession hit the place hasn't been the same.
    I remember it taking much longer to drive through the town at 3-5 o clock when students were there now its a ghost town.
    Polly's is rarely open anymore due to it being so far away from the centre of town and the other pubs.
    Other pubs like Murphy's, Malthouse (The Nightrise) and the Spinning Wheel still going strong. Best pints are in Butlers, keg is right under the tap always a strong flow. Nightclub the Cube free in b412 on Saturdays but it's always empty and you'll probably be headed home.
    For people concerned with running Cloone will be your circuit mostly.

There's also a state of the art running track in the town park which also has a loop for running/walking.
    There's the 9 hole golf course and tennis courts, but they haven't been looked after great.
    There's no astro but theres the Garda Pitches(Rugby,GAA and football) and GAA pitch. The Garda pitch is bookings not sure about GAA. There's also a pitch beside the church that the local schools use, it's pretty bad but after school hours I'd imagine you can just use it.
    The town is now paid parking.
    Train times have reduced a bit but they might change once it opens again.
    There's no massive need for a car.
    Parking in the college is **** and then there's a fairly big car park in the gold club that people use.
    Golf club bar is also closed.

Anyone not satisfied with the food in the college there's good grub in Murphys and the Arms Hotel, as well as a new italian restaurant opening apparently and for the fattys there's Nino's take away.

Don't know about any changes within the college I've moved out of the country and both parents have retired.
    Any other questions feel free to fire them my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tauras201

What time do you finish up on the average day in the college lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Advertisement