Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda reserve duties

• 17-11-2013 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I wanted to know if a garda reserve who is stationed in Dublin city centre could go out on patrol with a full time member on a Friday or Saturday night ?
    the reason I ask is because I am awaiting my BR form to come through and my medical and final meetings with the super and inspector,, but I would like to be stationed in town on either of these nights, but I know gr's don't have public order powers and this is mainly what is policed on these nights,, anyone from the reserves or full force know. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

I have a friend in the reserves. He's not based in Dublin but goes out in his own home town and mainly (90% of the time) works Friday or Saturday night on big nights such as NYE etc. He says the guards aren't too pushed about when he works, they're just glad of the extra body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

its something i'd like to do, I mean you'd be kept going all night and you might get more hours out of your shift if its busy

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

He says they're fairly on the ball about getting shifts over with. Probably a lot to do with no more overtime for guards.

He says they're fairly on the ball about getting shifts over with. Probably a lot to do with no more overtime for guards.

Ye ah sure just wait and see,, can the reserve request a station or are they assigned by the garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Do your Homework my man , Garda Reserves were giving new powers including Public order . Google stuff like this .

• Advertisement

And i was ment to say Yes of course you can request a station

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Do your Homework my man , Garda Reserves were giving new powers including Public order . Google stuff like this .

I've tryed researching it could you provide me with a link to the actual powers pal ?

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

No we haven't so please don't be giving duff advice

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

coolock94 wrote: »
    I've tryed researching it could you provide me with a link to the actual powers pal ?

New powers have yet to be rolled out to the GR by the commissioner

• Advertisement

By the time we get in they will be then, what did it make a difference now are later GR will be getting the powers, take it easy now there Raider190 , ino the lad from chating to him on this .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

By the time we get in they will be then, what did it make a difference now are later GR will be getting the powers, take it easy now there Raider190 , ino the lad from chating to him on this .

I am a reserve for the past 5 years and stationed in Dublin City in one of the busiest stations in the country. What reserves put into the job is what they get out of it. You have to earn members respect and when they know you have their back then your on board. Reserves can go in anytime that suits them. I mainly do nights and of course working a fri or sat night when your unit is working the help is much appreciated. Reserves have not yet been given PO powers yet! Reserves have the power under sec 4 the same as any person which is basically a citizens arrest. Now you will encounter times where you will have to assist a member and detain an SO while the full time member carries out his investigation into an incident. All i say is have their back and they will have yours. There are some clowns in the job but they forget at the end of the day they are human. I love the job and very happy with what i do and the same respect is shown back to me. Go for it and enjoy it but don't be too egar.

Thanks paulbolg :) just looked at the last post i have there sorry Raider190 didnt mean to come off so aggressive.

yeah cheers was talking to a taxi diver last night and he was tellin me that he has had a few gr's in his taxi and he said a few of them bring there badges to help them get in places,,, seems ridiculous that they would do this abuse of power if u ask me, yeah well ill just wait it out and see wat happens cheers.

Thats pretty bad , mine would be indoors id lose it for defo the way i drink haha

Advertisement