Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question: confiscated car

• 24-03-2013 3:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi guys, :)

I have a very big question . This week my Dads car got confiscated by the Garda, first it was an Lithuanian car , second there was nothing on it just a European insurance it was year 1986 he was waiting till she was age 30 to register only was 4 years left :( and to get everything cheaper, but actually he was driving her in Ireland for 8 years and never got stopped by the Garda :cool: . So when they stopped him they said the car is over 1 year in Ireland he needs to pay VRT, insurance and tax but it cost too much money he said he doesn't want her anymore , garda said they will destroy it. But is there any fine will be issued for destroying the car ? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I have a very big question . This week my Dads car got confiscated by the Garda, first it was an Lithuanian car , second there was nothing on it just a European insurance it was year 1986 he was waiting till she was age 30 to register only was 4 years left :( and to get everything cheaper, but actually he was driving her in Ireland for 8 years and never got stopped by the Garda :cool: . So when they stopped him they said the car is over 1 year in Ireland he needs to pay VRT, insurance and tax but it cost too much money he said he doesn't want her anymore , garda said they will destroy it. But is there any fine will be issued for destroying the car ? :confused:
    Hopefully!

And a nice big fine for mo tax, nct or insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Driving a foreign car in Ireland for 8 years? I hope they crush it.

But no, I don't think there is a fine although they should take him to court for no discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

biko wrote: »
    Driving a foreign car in Ireland for 8 years?
    I hope they crush it.

But no, I don't think there is a fine although they should take him to court for no discs.
    what purpose would this serve? it would probably cost the state money in legal aid and a fine might only end up being paid to the poor box/retired solicitors fund/an garda siochana.

The reason is for him and others around him to understand that driving a long time without for instance insurance is a bad thing and will be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

The car has been driven here for 8 years without having road tax, VRT, correct insurance or NCT charges paid. It's quite possible that it's in a dangerous condition and that it's a danger to other road users.

I think it unlikely that anybody will have sympathy for your father.

I also think it likely that he'll be charged for driving with no tax, incorrect insurance, no NCT cert and possibly non-payment of VRT.

As far as I'm concerned, fair play to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

8 years without an nct or road tax I think your father has got away quite light just getting car taken off him pity he is not hit with back fines for these. I doubt the insurance is valid either unless he was travelling back to Lithuania to get an equivalent to the nct which I doubt. I hope there is a fine for destroying the car I am getting tired of people of all nationalities coming to Ireland and thinking they are smarter than us with their little scams and bending of the rules. I bet your father collects the children's allowance for you when you were younger and any other payments he could get his hands on, I am tired very tired of these stories and there are so many it's no wonder the country is the way it is.

Ps: why would the gardai tell him to get insurance if he had "valid" European insurance as you clam ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

do I smell troll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Big Davey wrote: »
    8 years without an nct or road tax I think your father has got away quite light just getting car taken off him pity he is not hit with back fines for these. I doubt the insurance is valid either unless he was travelling back to Lithuania to get an equivalent to the nct which I doubt. I hope there is a fine for destroying the car I am getting tired of people of all nationalities coming to Ireland and thinking they are smarter than us with their little scams and bending of the rules. I bet your father collects the children's allowance for you when you were younger and any other payments he could get his hands on, I am tired very tired of these stories and there are so many it's no wonder the country is the way it is.
    There is no insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

what purpose would this serve? it would probably cost the state money in legal aid and a fine might only end up being paid to the poor box/retired solicitors fund/an garda siochana.

Things are movin on a bit in this world...;)

This lads Lithuanian Dad will I'm sure have had a few oul forms to fill in,and as such,is now very firmly writ upon the Garda and Revenue databases as a person of interest.

It narrows the field considerably for those who work at keeping it neat and tidy... ;););)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

do you feel that you entitled to cheat our tax and insurance laws because you are foreign or what?

why should you not have to buy tax and insurance but everybody else on this island does?

hope it gets crushed.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Things are movin on a bit in this world...;)

This lads Lithuanian Dad will I'm sure have had a few oul forms to fill in,and as such,is now very firmly writ upon the Garda and Revenue databases as a person of interest.

It narrows the field considerably for those who work at keeping it neat and tidy... ;););)

Database ? Person of interest ? I thought every case had to be treated on an individual basis and " red flagging" people was not done by gardai, revenue, welfare etc am I wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

it was year 1986 he was waiting till she was age 30 to register only was 4 years left :( and to get everything cheaper,

He was paying nothing for the last 8 years and he was hoping to get away with it for another 4 so thats 12 years of paying NOTHING.What was he expecting in 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Nice people you are...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Leave the car alone, crush the driver ...

The other proposal is like taking and illegal firearm from someone and sending it to prison while your man walks off into the sunset.

mathepac wrote: »
    Leave the car alone, crush the driver ...

The other proposal is like taking and illegal firearm from someone and sending it to prison while your man walks off into the sunset.
    Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

8 years is some going
    nct (just say every 2 years) 50x4= 200
    tax just say its a 1.6 so say 400 a year 400x8= 3200
    vrt just say 400 again
    so that is at least a 4grand saving in the last 8 years
    tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I think, he still may collect it (if he will consider it worth to do it), if he will pay vrt, show tax disc and insurance dockets to Garda.

I think no need rant over foreign people, as here is many local people who driving without any valid disc in window for number years, a specially down in country.

My car never was out of tax, insurance or NCT.

In every nation there is good and bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

More then likely the dad didn't have an Irish driving license, a lot of points if he has

He should be at least banned from driving

Mar4ix wrote: »
    I think, he still may collect it (if he will consider it worth to do it), if he will pay vrt, show tax disc and insurance dockets to Garda.

I think no need rant over foreign people, as here is many local people who driving without any valid disc in window for number years, a specially down in country.

My car never was out of tax, insurance or NCT.

In every nation there is good and bad people.
    A valid tax disc is bad I agree, but no Vrt paid, no nct, no insurance,no tax. Very few "local" people doing all four I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Very few "local" people doing all four I would imagine.
    Yep. Der Führer always paid his tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

May not have been any VRT to pay (change of residence) if it had been sorted upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

I am getting tired of people of all nationalities coming to Ireland and thinking they are smarter than us with their little scams and bending of the rules. I bet your father collects the children's allowance for you when you were younger and any other payments he could get his hands on, I am tired very tired of these stories and there are so many it's no wonder the country is the way it is.

Right. So, Ireland got to this state because of all those pesky EEs bending the rules and doing their little scams? :rolleyes: Get a grip, dude. I know that life can get hard, but you sound desperate here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Merl1n wrote: »
    More then likely the dad didn't have an Irish driving license, a lot of points if he has

Sorry, but this is rubbish! A Lithuanian licence is an EU licence, last time I looked. As long as the licence is valid, then the licence holder can drive on it. He does not need an Irish DL! The OP did not state whether the father has a valid licence or not. He was only talking about the car.

OTOH. I'm glad the Gards are now picking on cars other than UK ones. I'm sick of the European cars driving about there with impunity. I've never seen the Gards even pull one over, so fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

There is no fine for destroying the car.. When a car is impounded it costs €125 and €35 on top for each day to get the car back. Now you can take the car back to your house on a tow truck or low loader without having to produce tax or insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Driving a foreign car in Ireland for 8 years? I hope they crush it.

What discs do you mean of Lithuanian registered vehicle?
    There is no need to display any discs.

Also OP said that her father had insurance on the car.

Only two offences here is driving a foreign registered car by resident without registering it in Ireland, and possibly driving a car without valid test (as from what I understood it didn't have a valid test).
    The reason is for him and others around him to understand that driving a long time without for instance insurance is a bad thing and will be punished.

But OP said he had insurance:
    second there was nothing on it just a European insurance

Merl1n wrote: »

Even if he had Irish licence, there is no penalty points for driving a foreign vehicle.
    Also I don't think lack of valid test on foreign registered car attracts penalty points, but I might be wrong about that.

No reasons to ban someone from driving for those offences.

I know lots of people around me who do those things -
    1 residents driving foreign vehicles (usually UK plates).
    2. people driving without valid test.
    Would you want all of them to be banned from driving and under what grounds?

Hm, yeah you're right in that with a foreign car he doesn't need domestic discs and can stay with the car for a year. But driving here 8 years is really taken the pee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Hope they crush it, with the owner in it preferably.

Mod note, infracted

• Advertisement

Hm, yeah you're right in that with a foreign car he doesn't need domestic discs and can stay with the car for a year. But driving here 8 years is really taken the pee.

1 year is the max time limit before car must be registered, but it's kinda stupid.
    If owner after coming here with a car, becomes resident, he must register it straight away.
    The question is - when does he become resident.
    Surely if he stays here more than 183 days in one year.
    But in general, someone coming here getting job and planning to stay for good becomes resident straight away, however it would behard to prove if someone is planning to stay.
    But generally sooner or later person moving to Ireland with foreign car, must register it here anyway most likely within half a year.

On the other hand there is a wrong situation for casual visitors.
    F.e. my mum who come here to Ireland for a month or two every year (to visit me).
    She is not resident in Ireland and never will be.
    She could bring a Polish registered car with her, leave it here and use it when she is here. But car can't stay here more than 12 months without being registered. However she can't register a car in Ireland, as she is not resident here (no Irish insurer would give a policy to non-resident).
    So legally, she can't have her foreign car here for more than 12 months, but also she can't register it here, as she is not resident.
    Therefore she doesn't really have any option to have a car in here, except from brining it every time she comes here, which is out of the question due to too long distance to travel.
    This is wrong.

Advertisement