Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will RTE player ever come to android?

Options
  • 09-02-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭

Seems to be totally forgotten by RTE they seem content just providing it for D4 heads iOS users!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There are bunch of RTE apps on Android already.

I imagine since it is Flash, you can just use a web browser unless your phone can't run Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Why don't you ask RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Why don't you ask RTÉ?
    I just sent them an email, I thought some android experts on here might be aware of a timeframe. I think it's redicilous that its been on Apple for so long and still nothing on Android.

The Internet browser on my android phone works disastrously its very unstable and basically crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I watch RTE player on my HTC Sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I just sent them an email, I thought some android experts on here might be aware of a timeframe. I think it's redicilous that its been on Apple for so long and still nothing on Android.

The Internet browser on my android phone works disastrously its very unstable and basically crap.

Use a different browser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Ive had no problems with the RTE player, Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Ive had no problems with the RTE player, Am I doing something wrong?
    I think the OP wants a native app as opposed to using Flash on a mobile device which is no longer (officially) available on modern versions of Android.

I'd welcome such an app also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have xbmc on my nexus 7 and there is an addon that enables it to access RTE Player seamlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

You can download adobe flash from xda... works grand

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

gzoladz wrote: »
    I have xbmc on my nexus 7 and there is an addon that enables it to access RTE Player seamlessly.

What addon are you using? I tried vodie but it wouldn't run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Off topic but.........
    Is XBMC basically just a media center software package that you install on your laptop/android which you then plug into your TV?

What hardware does one need in order to make full use out of XMBC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

G1032 wrote: »
    Off topic but.........
    Is XBMC basically just a media center software package that you install on your laptop/android which you then plug into your TV?

No, it's for playing your media on Android, it's the full media centre experience. It has hardware acceleration, meaning it uses the graphics chip on your phone, not the cpu.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, it's for playing your media on Android, it's the full media centre experience. It has hardware acceleration, meaning it uses the graphics chip on your phone, not the cpu.

But don't MX Player and Dice player use HW acceleration too?
    I'll try out XBMC anyway....
    Cheers

But don't MX Player and Dice player use HW acceleration too?
    I'll try out XBMC anyway....
    Cheers

Yes, but they are just players, this is the full media centre with library, skins, artwork and addons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭pedatron

Does XMBC steam content from your laptop to phone is it? Sorry for simple questions just I'm clueless on this!

pedatron wrote: »
    Does XMBC steam content from your laptop to phone is it? Sorry for simple questions just I'm clueless on this!

Yes, you first need to share it from the laptop, right click the folder-->share

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭pedatron

Thanks PMT. Will give it a go later!

Class.
    Pog,
    Do you MHL adapter to connect phone to TV? I've read that this gives trouble with the S3??
    Can I use the telly remote to navigate through the XBMC screen on my phone if the phone is connected to the telly?

Sorry if that makes no sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Name/link/anything?

Class.
    Pog,
    Do you MHL adapter to connect phone to TV? I've read that this gives trouble with the S3??
    Can I use the telly remote to navigate through the XBMC screen on my phone if the phone is connected to the telly?

Sorry if that makes no sense!!

No, I have a HTPC, I don't connect mine to the TV. Where XBMC on Android is really going to shine is not on phones and tablets, but Android-on-a-stick type devices that you plug into your TV.

• Advertisement

Those are experimental nightly builds, will have bugs. It's best go for the stable release

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Thanks!
    I had xbmc on my phone, but i didn't know that the plugins are compatible without rebuilding. I'm installing vodie right now.

Update:
    Latest version copied to plugin directory, xbmc restart,: Scrip failed: plugin.video.vodie

Any advice? S2 galaxy running CM10 nightly

What addon are you using? I tried vodie but it wouldn't run.
    The is a new one called Irish TV player.

Off topic but.........

Yes it is a media center. I use it on my xperia s, nexus 7, iPad and PC and it works very well in all of them. It can be tricky to setup the first time though

Advertisement