Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

China's People's Daily falls for Onion's Kim Jong-un 'sexiest man alive' spoof

Options
  • 27-11-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭

Holy Jesus it doesn't get funnier than this. It's a toss up now between
    Borat's spoof Kazakhstan national anthem being played at sporting ceremony in Kuwait or this. A North Korean newspaper did 55-page photos spread on Kim and quoted The Onion as saying about their leader, " "With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm, and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true."

:D How in the love of christ did they take it seriously!

It stuff like this that makes me want to live forever.

The online version of China's Communist party newspaper has hailed a report by The Onion naming North Korean dictator as the Sexiest Man Alive – not realising it is satire.

The People's Daily on Tuesday ran a 55-page photo spread on its website in a tribute to the round-faced leader, under the headline North Korea's top leader named The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive for 2012.

Quoting the Onion's spoof report, the Chinese newspaper wrote: "With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm, and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true."

The People's Daily cited the Onion as saying: "Blessed with an air of power that masks an unmistakable cute, cuddly side, Kim made this newspaper's editorial board swoon with his impeccable fashion sense, chic short hairstyle, and, of course, that famous smile."

The photos that the People's Daily selected include Kim on horseback squinting into the light and Kim waving towards a military parade. In other photos, Kim is wearing sunglasses and smiling, or touring a facility with his wife.

It is not the first time a state-run Chinese newspaper has fallen for a fictional report by The Onion.

In 2002, the Beijing Evening News, one of the capital city's biggest tabloids at the time, published as news the fictional account that the US Congress wanted a new building and that it might leave Washington. The Onion article was a deadpan spoof of the way sports teams threaten to leave cities in order to get new stadiums.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/27/china-kim-jong-un

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd expect this from North Korea but China?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I so ronery...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

He has so many looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A man that recently executed one of his senior military officials with a mortar round.

Interesting fact, people in N. Korea are 6 inches shorter than those in the south. Hard lives, poor nutrition; brain washed xenophobes. Truly the armpit of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Now you mention it, he does look a bit like an onion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I found the actual link on the newspaper's page:

http://english.people.com.cn/90777/8035568.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

His round faced charm, and sturdy frame won me over. Stop hatin Eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I'd say he'd suck a dick like a boss.

*PM me if you suck dick like a boss*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I suppose if a psychotic Adrian Mole got to run a nuked up nation, this would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd say he'd suck a dick like a boss.

*PM me if you suck dick like a boss*
    Incoming pm from 1red :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement