Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Premier League: Pre-Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

RB100 wrote: »
    now that Pienaar is going back to everton i'm stuck between him and Walters. Stoke have the slightly easier fixtures and walters has 2 in 2 in pre season.

Everton; UTD(h) VILLA(a) WBA(a)

Stoke; RDG(a) ARS(h) WIG(a)

Thoughts?

Not sure about either of them to be honest. Walters tailed off towards the end of last season and his fixtures in GW4 and GW5 are MCY and che. Pienaar was on fire at the end of last season but Everton are usually slow starters. I prefer the look of Taarabt myself. Came good under Hughes towards the end of last season and knows what the premiership's all about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Arfff got Torres upfront, I've a feeling he'll be better this season, away to Wigan and home to Reading in GW 1 helps his case too.

If Carroll goes to West Ham I may change a bit, surely Big Sams hoofing style is perfect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Arfff got Torres upfront, I've a feeling he'll be better this season, away to Wigan and home to Reading in GW 1 helps his case too.

If Carroll goes to West Ham I may change a bit, surely Big Sams hoofing style is perfect for him.

I agree about Carroll, although £8.5m is a lot for a West Ham player. Makes Nolan and Noble better options though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

jenno99 wrote: »
    Not sure about either of them to be honest. Walters tailed off towards the end of last season and his fixtures in GW4 and GW5 are MCY and che. Pienaar was on fire at the end of last season but Everton are usually slow starters. I prefer the look of Taarabt myself. Came good under Hughes towards the end of last season and knows what the premiership's all about now.

Yea so do I. that's why I have him in my team. just posted it in the 'Rate My Team' thread if you want to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

It's official. Pienaar signs for Everton. £4.5m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Will Gibson start for Everton?. 5.0 looks decent value and i need two 5.0 mil midfielders (already have Noble from WH) so at the moment Gibson is the other, will his gametime be affected much by Pienaar transfer?

Looking at the 5.5mil keepers i am surprised Friedel is so unfancied by everyone. OK, Villas-Boas plays a high line but Spurs have a good run of opening fixtures. I have him in over Krul,Vorm and Howard. Mind you, i change the team every evening at this rate... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sigurdsson just scored a peach of a goal there against the NY Red Bulls. Such a pity that he's so expensive in the game. If he nails a starting spot he could get all sorts of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Sigurdsson just scored a peach of a goal there against the NY Red Bulls. Such a pity that he's so expensive in the game. If he nails a starting spot he could get all sorts of points.

I think he will be a regular starter and 9.0m is a fair price for him. He's been in my team since FPL went back online. Classy player and he's playing himself into a starting place with his preseason performances so far (from what I hear). VdV tends to miss a lot of playing time too and FFS have Siggy down to take penos after VdV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcunning

Good shout massdebater, Sigurdsson may even turn out to be a bargain at 9.0M if that's possible. Spurs blew Liverpool out of the water with the financial package they offered Gylfi so you have to presume AVB sees him as important to the side which would translate to no rotation risk in FPL. You'd have to imagine Siggy will have more goal-scoring opportunities at White Hart Lane and with a strike record of 7 goals in 18 appearances, he'll have the chance to emulate last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Swansea draw 2-2. Graham with the first goal and new centre back Chico with the second. Half making me want to replace Williams with Chico now that I know he's a goal threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Gabby Agbonlahor is out for 5 weeks and Richard Dunne is going to be out for 6-8 weeks it seems. Avoid both.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2867835,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

FatRat wrote: »
    Swansea draw 2-2. Graham with the first goal and new centre back Chico with the second. Half making me want to replace Williams with Chico now that I know he's a goal threat.

did michu play a part?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Gabby Agbonlahor is out for 5 weeks and Richard Dunne is going to be out for 6-8 weeks it seems. Avoid both.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2867835,00.html

I'm clueless as to what to expect from Villa this season, but with Dunne out, there'll be a couple of 4.5m (or maybe 4m) defenders in that Villa defence to start.

If Villa produce a mid-table performance this season, there could be a bargain somewhere in that defence.

Then Agbon's absence could be good news for Delfouneso (5m), perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭basillarkin

can someone reccomend a couple of 4m Def that will start also will begovic start ahead of the dane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭basillarkin

carlcon wrote: »
    I'm clueless as to what to expect from Villa this season, but with Dunne out, there'll be a couple of 4.5m (or maybe 4m) defenders in that Villa defence to start.

If Villa produce a mid-table performance this season, there could be a bargain somewhere in that defence.

Clark should be considered @ 4.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

can someone reccomend a couple of 4m Def that will start also will begovic start ahead of the dane?

McCarthy at westham and gorkess at QPR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Villa have signed Ron Vlaar, dutch central defender. He should be added to the game soon. He seems like a quality player, though I don't know much about him. I'd expect him to be 5.0 or 5.5m. With Dunne out, I'd expect Villas starting CB pairing to be Vlaar and Clark. Not sure if Vlaar would be worth 5.0 or 5.5, but I'm seriously considering Clark, as I think Vlaar will improve Villas defence quite a bit.

As for Fonzy, I don't see him getting a huge amount of game time. I've heard nothing of how his pre season is going, but he didn't live up to expectation last season. Weimann had a bigger impact than him. Put it this way, there's no way in hell I'd pick Fonzy over Pog.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Anyone here a member on FF Scout??
    Give us a few tips on the members articles if possible!!
    :)

did michu play a part?

Himself and De Guzman both played. I don't know who played deeper than the other. Michu played no part in the goals (no assists) neither did De Guzman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What do you guys fond is the best tactic with regards to defenders in this game?
    Do you spend much looking for clean sheet bonuses and attacking minded defenders or do you buy cheap defedes that will start and spend more in the offensive positions?

My back line at the moment consists of Cole/Walker/Harte/Simpson/Fabio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

Eathrin wrote: »
    What do you guys fond is the best tactic with regards to defenders in this game?
    Do you spend much looking for clean sheet bonuses and attacking minded defenders or do you buy cheap defedes that will start and spend more in the offensive positions?

I try to mix all factors in. clean sheets, attacking threat(goal/assist) value so you can upgrade further up the pitch, plays in top 4 and starter.

Mine is: Terry/Shawcross/Lescott/Rafeal/Fabio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

The (very) general rule is to have 2 defenders from top teams that you'll play every week, home or away, then 3 cheap ones to rotate based on fixtures.

After that, while goals and assists are nice, clean sheets are key. No attacking defender with very few clean sheets is going to out-score a solid defender with 14-18 clean sheets a season.

The (very) general rule is to have 2 defenders from top teams that you'll play every week, home or away, then 3 cheap ones to rotate based on fixtures.

After that, while goals and assists are nice, clean sheets are key. No attacking defender with very few clean sheets is going to out-score a solid defender with 14-18 clean sheets a season.

I swapped Walker for Rafael to save some cash.
    I may swap out Fabio if there's a better option at 4.5m? Whether he plays or not remains to be seen.
    Harte is cheap, may score a few goals and starts on a double gw.
    Am I right in saying Simpson is good value at 5m as he starts in a decent Newcastle defence?

Anyway, as far as my midfield goes I have Malta and Ramires for the double game week at least.
    Silva should guarantee a steady supply of points over the course of the season.
    Oxlade-chamberlain at 7.5 could prove good value and looks a good option for Arsenal now, will he get the game time?
    And lastly I have Pilkington at 6m. I think that's decent value but there are other options I could consider for that price like Pienaar or Walters.

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This year I am considering going for five cheap defenders, starting defenders, but cheap all the same. I just feel that the likes of Kompany, Evra, Cole, etc are just too expensive to justify the costs. If you had a team on a serious run of clean sheets like United did a few years back then you could justify the cost, but last year there seemed to be a lot of late consolation goals snatching away the clean sheets.

There is value in the lower regions, the trick is to identify which of the smaller teams will be solid at the back. Will it be Villa, Stoke, Swansea or somebody else who are this years solid team.

At the minute I have Jenkenson (4.5), Dawson (5m), Clark (4.5), Fabio (4.5) and Kelly (4.5). Unlike a Kompany or Terry I am not tied to any of them and should be able to use or drop any of them as I objectively see fit.

And of course I have saved a few million for a more potent attacking line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

McCartney and Gorkks have already been mentioned. Clyne from Southampton has played the last few pre-season games at right midfield so could be another option. Southampton have terrible opening fixtures though.
    did michu play a part?

Michu played in the hole behind the strikers. Think he had a couple of good chances but didn't score. I have him in my team atm but I'm getting nervous about him. I really want Swansea cover for their fixtures. Graham is a good choice but those forward positions on my team are oh so precious.

Any 4m Goalkeepers worth buying?
    I have Krul no.1(Which I'm not 100% about since I have Simpson already in defence) and had to save .5m so I got Cerny, but since Green's in the picture, surely he won't play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Any 4m Goalkeepers worth buying?
    I have Krul no.1(Which I'm not 100% about since I have Simpson already in defence) and had to save .5m so I got Cerny, but since Green's in the picture, surely he won't play?

There is no 4 million goalkeeper who is first choice. Stephen Henderson would be my bet if you're going with a 4 million keeper. Probably 2nd choice to Jussi (not even going to try spell his surname :pac:) but Jussi was poor last season and Henderson starting eventually or getting a run in the team wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Latest draft of my team, any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

GK: Hart, Federici

DEF: Lescott, Coloccini, Neil Taylor, Anton Ferdinand, Clark

MID: Hazard, Kagawa, Ramires, Fellaini, Noble

STR: Aguero, Torres, Pogrebnyak

Might change Fellaini to Pienaar but i think Fellaini will be playing a more attacking role this season, he done well towards the end of last season in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

mutley18 wrote: »
    Latest draft of my team, any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

GK: Hart, Federici

DEF: Lescott, Coloccini, Neil Taylor, Anton Ferdinand, Clark

MID: Hazard, Kagawa, Ramires, Fellaini, Noble

STR: Aguero, Torres, Pogrebnyak

Might change Fellaini to Pienaar but i think Fellaini will be playing a more attacking role this season, he done well towards the end of last season in that role.

I like it bar the very risky midfield. I think there are better options in midfield for around the same price. I must say I'm tempted by the City double up too.

• Advertisement

Half an hour gone and Steven Naismith has already notched 2 goals for Everton in their friendly, and his debut. Pienaar has assisted both of them.

Advertisement