Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst place in Ireland......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

West Kerry. :) !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Cork. Its totally Cork. Because of the people. And their ridiculous attitude. And the ****in peoples republic tee shirts. They wouldnt spend christmas, and the accent they have on them. Sounds like a small dog having its balls trod on. And jesus the towns around that ****ing city. I ask you. Just horrible ****ty horrible ****hole. Lived there like 7 years. Nightmare. New Ross in Wexford is pretty ****ing bad. And Dublin. I mean Dublin just ****ing sucks. Junkies, morons, Dubs, traffic, a dirty smelly ****hole of a city. Oh and westmeath. Jesus. Those people have about two braincells to put together. And Tipperary. Its just a series of scumbags that decided to put some towns together so it would be easier to beat each other up and get sky digital. And anywhere in Connaught, except Galway, also totally totally sucks. And also Tralee, Kilkenny and Ennis.
    Actually hang on. Maybe I should list the places that I like. That would probably save some time.
    Any ideas?

Where are you from, doc?
    dudess wrote:
    Yeah, the Dublin-Cork bus stops in Urlingford for about 15 minutes and one time I, being an idiot, took my time about getting my coffee, going to the loo etc, resulting in the bus going off without me. I was stranded in Urlingford for over two hours (the bus is every two hours but it was a Friday evening so traffic ensured there was another 40 minutes added to that ).

Not fun.

Haha, was that the aircoach you were on? I know the pain well. Urlingford is frightening. Imagine missing the last bus and having to spend the night there - some of the locals look like they turn into werewolves after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I agree with the OP, Londonderry City is in my opinion the worst place in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

worst place in ireland??.............its gotta be ...the.....morbid midlands:(

when ever i drive through the place i have to have a prozac sandwich to cheer myself up

Monasterevin > oh no!!
    Portlaoise> oh god!!
    Mountrath > jayus!!
    Borris in Ossry > **** no!!
    Roscrea > the gloom is setting in
    Moneygall > time to slit my wrists

btw u could also include carlow town, shannon, tallaght and leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

agamemnon wrote:
    Haha, was that the aircoach you were on? I know the pain well. Urlingford is frightening. Imagine missing the last bus and having to spend the night there - some of the locals look like they turn into werewolves after dark.
    Bus Eireann - hadn't discovered the Aircoach, which is a far more professional service. Yeah, that thought kept popping into my head to remind me of how lucky I was. The horror if it was the last bus!!! :eek: I wonder whether there's even a guesthouse there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Limerick city....knacker hole....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It can't be worse than Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Terry wrote:
    It can't be worse than Maynooth.

I live in Maynooth and it aint pretty but Celbridge seems to have gone that extra step towards oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Orange69 wrote:
    I would say it wasn't mentioned because its far from the worst... I was visiting Limerick a couple of weeks back and was just blown away.. They have high rise buildings on the river now and i love the the new henry street area.. the place is booming! Although with all the construction it was very dusty everywhere.. They seem to be building a tunnel under the Shannon river also?

Its crazy saying dublin is the worst place in Ireland too, Some of the suburbs are soul less alright and transport can be a pain but on the whole the city is great!

The most depressing places in Ireland imo are gort (planning hell) and belfast...
    Ya limerick is booming alright, we have left behind the days of being looked down upon by the rest of the country, it is now my joint favourite city in the country along side cork. ya there building a tunnel under the shannon very much like the jack lynch tunnel in cork.

Personally I've never been much of a fan of galway city but I suppose the worst on the whole island would have to be derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 -umbrella-ella-

I'm not from Derry City, I'm from South Derry.

I don't understand how you can call yourself Irish and call it L.....Derry.

Anyways looks like i've got to get a new passport :rolleyes: .....as i'm not Irish.

Better tell Derry minors not to turn up in Navan, how can they play in an All Ireland Minor Semi-Final Replay.

I guess Derry City will have to stop playing in the League of Ireland.

I don't like Derry City either, some rough places about it!

But the worst place has to be Clones, Co. Monaghan.

• Advertisement

That chick with the song called.
    She said something witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

I hope you're trying to be funny!!

And finally, getting to the question at hand:

Waterford, by a long shot!!

Yeah to side with Tea there I am pretty sure st patrick was a protestant he was British too

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

Kilkenny too was a place I didnt like tbh. People werent friendly to us (mixture of dubs/corkonians) and it was during comedy festival which should be a good-humoured time and never saw so many fights (ridiculous it was) and vicious ones too. One person got their head slammed against a post!! ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

In decending order:

Balbriggan
    Drogheda
    Dundalk
    Anywhere at all in Tyrone
    Castlebar

The definative list.

End of story.

On a lighter note, Galway is the best place in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

colc1 wrote:
    Kilkenny too was a place I didnt like tbh. People werent friendly to us (mixture of dubs/corkonians) and it was during comedy festival which should be a good-humoured time and never saw so many fights (ridiculous it was) and vicious ones too. One person got their head slammed against a post!! ouch!!

People here are sick of visiting Dubs/Corkonians. They're here every weekend hopping the shíte out of people, wrecking the place and we've wnough of our own gob****es without importing others every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

philstar wrote:
    worst place in ireland??.............its gotta be ...the.....morbid midlands:(

when ever i drive through the place i have to have a prozac sandwich to cheer myself up

Monasterevin > oh no!!
    Portlaoise> oh god!!
    Mountrath > jayus!!
    Borris in Ossry > **** no!!
    Roscrea > the gloom is setting in
    Moneygall > time to slit my wrists

btw u could also include carlow town, shannon, tallaght and leitrim

I'l agree that Portlaoise is an absolute hole but Carlow Town is great if your a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Sligo takes the cake, I have to say. Not only have they not got the electric, they keep referring to the place as a "city", because there are no other municipal centres within easy horse and trap reach. Also they all have the same eyebrows.

Just saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Also they all have the same eyebrows

inbred??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Galway. It never stops raining.

Ive been there twice, it was alright-ish and the birds are big into the oul Dub accent but tbh i wouldnt bother my arse going back. Why pay over 40 quid on the train to go to poxy Irish nightclubs when for maybe 20 euro more I can fly to England/Scotland and have a mad one.

Athlone, and pretty much most places on the train route to Galway are awful, seems to be nothing but huge abandoned factories and halts all the way. Dundalk aint much either. Worst place in Dublin without a shadow of a doubt is Ballyfermot. We were bored one bank holiday Monday and decided to stall out to Liffey Valley for a change (went into town, got the bus from there). Cant recall the bus number (leaves from the quays, heads out Guinness brewery general direction). Jesus man Ive never seen a rougher part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

shane86 wrote:
    Galway. It never stops raining.

Ive been there twice, it was alright-ish and the birds are big into the oul Dub accent but tbh i wouldnt bother my arse going back. Why pay over 40 quid on the train to go to poxy Irish nightclubs when for maybe 20 euro more I can fly to England/Scotland and have a mad one.

Athlone, and pretty much most places on the train route to Galway are awful.

i lived in Galway city for 2 and half years and imo it has some of the best weather in ireland. it gets about half the amount of rain that roscommon gets and it is far warmer than most places in the country nearly all the time. Next time there is a heatwave in Ireland go check where the warmest place is and it will be either Galway city or Galway will be very close.

i also lived in Athlone for 5 years, yes it is filled with knackers but back when i was a student there it rocked, Bozos, palace, seans bar (oldest in the country), blinkers (legend), scribes, charlies, prince bar, river S, rayners, ginkels (especially the cocktail bar with its huge long island ice teas ;) )

• Advertisement

Ballyfermot isn't that bad. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
    On the other hand, Clondalkin is dodgy as fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

rossie1977 wrote:
    seans bar (oldest in the country)

What, along with the fifty other pubs that claim to be the oldest in the country?

colc1 wrote:
    Yeah to side with Tea there I am pretty sure st patrick was a protestant he was British too

i can bet you any money patrick wasn't protestant. Martin Luther didn't nail his 95 thesis to the church door in Salzburg until 1517 i believe, saint patrick lived between 373 to 493 if historians are to be believed so its impossible that patrick was a protestant

Clare Bear wrote:
    What, along with the fifty other pubs that claim to be the oldest in the country?

Guinness records recognizes Seans as the oldest in the country and imo they will probably take the title of oldest in europe in the near future. The only other pub that claimed this title as far as i know is The Brazen Head in Dublin, but Seans was found to be over 200-300 years older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

I would probably say loughrea, and gort and most of the towns between Dublin and galway, fair depressing

rossie1977 wrote:
    i can bet you any money patrick wasn't protestant. Martin Luther didn't nail his 95 thesis to the church door in Salzburg until 1517 i believe, saint patrick lived between 373 to 493 if historians are to be believed so its impossible that patrick was a protestant
    Heh. Saw that myself.

Clare_Bear; i just did a bit of digging there and guinness records actually recognize Seans bar in Athlone AS THE OLDEST PUB IN EUROPE. They are now trying to see if they are the oldest standing bar in the world at present.

Someone has been serving drinks at Seans since 900 AD :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Good to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

rossie1977 wrote:
    Yep. St Patrick brought christianity to Ireland, not catholicism.

I also stupidly forgot the actual worst part of Ireland - I mentioned some bad places yes, but I can reveal the official winner: North-West Cork - Kanturk, Banteer, Boherbue, that general area. And also Buttevant (it was towns beginning with "M" earlier, now it seems to be "B").

• Advertisement

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Rathcormack in Cork. A big shout out to the owner of the B&B we tried to stay in. You obviously don't like Dublin folk, but please learn to tell the difference between Dublin accents and North Kildare accents. You lost out on three guests who just took their business to nearby Fermoy. After travelling from Leixlip to Rathcormack, Fermoy to Rathcormack wasn't really much of a journey. Fúck you very much.

Advertisement