First Officer - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2012, 15:43   #61
Daith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLips View Post
It's hard to think of Kira as an FO. Her character should have been much more T'Pol-esque. She never performed any of the typical FO duties. I can't ever remember her leading an away team, or credibly taking command in the Captain's absence and actually resolving a situation. She didn't act as an intermediary between the Captain and the rest of the crew. And she didn't even throw her weight around as the "Bajoran liason". There was a chance to make Kira much more of a challenge to Sisko in this respect (because of her backing from the Bajoran Government) but it never happened.
Well she couldn't be a standard FO because she wasn't Starfleet. I don't think she would have to perform crew evaluations for the Starfleet crew when she didn't go through the Academy herself.

She led away teams a few times. I remember when her taking command of the Defiant to find out what the Klingon's were looking for. Let's face it though DS9 had far less away missions than any other Trek show.

She did take command of the Defiant when Sisko was unable to in Tears of the Prophets. Even over Worf! Then she was running the station at the start of season 7. Defying the Federation when the Romulans were putting weapons on a Bajoran moon.

And the Bajoran liaison stuff was brought up a few times. However when Sisko accepted the Emissary job well he didn't really need a liaison officer cos well he was part God to them.

I think though even if Kira wasn't a model FO she couldn't have been expected too. However she was hands on, capable of running mission. Had the respect of the crew. Easily able to take command and point out when she thought people were stupid.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2012, 15:52   #62
norrie rugger
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daith View Post
Well she couldn't be a standard FO because she wasn't Starfleet. I don't think she would have to perform crew evaluations for the Starfleet crew when she didn't go through the Academy herself.

She led away teams a few times. I remember when her taking command of the Defiant to find out what the Klingon's were looking for. Let's face it though DS9 had far less away missions than any other Trek show.

She did take command of the Defiant when Sisko was unable to in Tears of the Prophets. Even over Worf! Then she was running the station at the start of season 7. Defying the Federation when the Romulans were putting weapons on a Bajoran moon.

And the Bajoran liaison stuff was brought up a few times. However when Sisko accepted the Emissary job well he didn't really need a liaison officer cos well he was part God to them.

I think though even if Kira wasn't a model FO she couldn't have been expected too. However she was hands on, capable of running mission. Had the respect of the crew. Easily able to take command and point out when she thought people were stupid.

Far too much "stick it to the man" attitude though, for someone in a position of authority
28-06-2012, 18:57   #63
IvySlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
Oh and I always thought Riker should have died at the end of Second Chances and been secretly replaced by his transporter twin Thomas. It would have been a brilliant twist.

Originally the writers wanted to kill Will and promote Data to First Officer with Thomas Riker taking ops.
28-06-2012, 19:05   #64
helimachoptor
Talk to Heli

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvySlayer View Post
Originally the writers wanted to kill Will and promote Data to First Officer with Thomas Riker taking ops.
Yeah right??
28-06-2012, 19:07   #65
IvySlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimachoptor View Post
Yeah right??
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Seco...nd_Information
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2012, 19:09   #66
Jame Gumb
Banned

Later years Spock - Still had the intellect and also common sense
28-06-2012, 19:42   #67
downwithpeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvySlayer View Post
Wonder if that idea was in some part responsible for the strange Data death in Nemesis, ideas seem close.

That photo with LeVar Burton as director, his shirt looks like something out of the oddball non-Starfleet clothing that the Star Trek casts wore on screen.
28-06-2012, 21:41   #68
helimachoptor
Talk to Heli

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithpeace View Post
That photo with LeVar Burton as director, his shirt looks like something out of the oddball non-Starfleet clothing that the Star Trek casts wore on screen.
Nah man, that was fashion in LA at the time
28-06-2012, 21:45   #69
IvySlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithpeace View Post
I guess not only the character he plays was blind
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2012, 21:53   #70
downwithpeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimachoptor View Post
Nah man, that was fashion in LA at the time
You got to think that the pattern even slightly has that strange Trek look to it
29-06-2012, 08:45   #71
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrie rugger View Post
Far too much "stick it to the man" attitude though, for someone in a position of authority
That gradually got written out, & Kira became quite reasonable & trusting in later seasons. I think that's perfectly fitting of someone in the start who didn't want Starfleet around, but then seen the good in it & got on with the job.

She's not the angry little woman people say she is for the whole series.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion