Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco TV €99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Had a strange experience with this in the Midleton Tesco store. Was passing the tv's when i saw this tv on the shelf, I looked at the price tag and it displayed €249.99, but under it, where the breakdown of the price is, it read "Recycling cost €1, Price RRP €98". It was also a yellow Special Offer tag.

I enquired this to the one of the assistants who seemed totally lost as to what to do, checked it on the computer, asked another assistant and then went looking for some kind of manager. When she said that I thought it should be €99, he shook his head straight away and kind of laughed, then i pointed out the €98 Price and Recycling €1 bit he looked totally confused and lowered his voice when he talked to the assistant. He definitely muttered the word "internet" and "probably had to change" when he spoke to the assistant.

I suppose they can say it was marked €249 but the fact that it was "Special Offer" at this price and also the price written below it, it made it a silly situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I would be interested to learn which Tesco stores actually put these special offers out on the shelves. How about everyone on here giving their opinions on how their local store normally handles them?

For instance, my local (Greystones) tesco store didn't place any on the shelves, but my neighbour who works there managed to bag "the last one" today, plus got his 10% staff discount. Not sure if that's fair.
    There were 3 a customer bought one and the 2 others the staff got :rolleyes:
    Greystones is always behind with sale bargains and I have had to point out to the manager on many occasions that certain items are in sale according to the papers.yeh staff there have 1st preference on everything before it leaves the store room.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Corholio wrote: »
    Had a strange experience with this in the Midleton Tesco store. Was passing the tv's when i saw this tv on the shelf, I looked at the price tag and it displayed €249.99, but under it, where the breakdown of the price is, it read "Recycling cost €1, Price RRP €98". It was also a yellow Special Offer tag.

I enquired this to the one of the assistants who seemed totally lost as to what to do, checked it on the computer, asked another assistant and then went looking for some kind of manager. When she said that I thought it should be €99, he shook his head straight away and kind of laughed, then i pointed out the €98 Price and Recycling €1 bit he looked totally confused and lowered his voice when he talked to the assistant. He definitely muttered the word "internet" and "probably had to change" when he spoke to the assistant.

I suppose they can say it was marked €249 but the fact that it was "Special Offer" at this price and also the price written below it, it made it a silly situation really.
    In cases like this: do not ask staff. Bring the item to the till and see what price comes up. If you are happy at this point, pay up and leave. Then, and only then, post here. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happened before, it looks like the prf price is entered manually not through the normal database, where ever the SEL prices are prepared, probably India.

So if the prf isn't changed for the next sel it has one wrong price on it. Could be a big problem considering Tesco's price guarantee, but you could argue the prf detailss are just there for information as apposed to an invitation to treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Tesco pullout in indo today with ad of the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭Barr

Corholio wrote: »

Were there many left in Middleton ? - I'm suprised they didn't scan it for correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

ive been looking in my local tesco since the day after this was posted on boards. first day i was told they might get stock the next day, day after i was told they were gone for good and the previous staff member got it wrong. stock never came back on the shelves (have been on the lookout almost daily) and the price tab has now also been removed. dont know why its being advertised in the papers cos from the look of it, no stores have any stock out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

dont know why its being advertised in the papers cos from the look of it, no stores have any stock out

Seems stupid alrigh t... but I wonder how many people will go to their local Tesco looking for the deal ... see it's not there ... but buy stuff anyway "cos they're there".

If its advertised in the newspaper it should be on a pallet beside the front door or in the main aisle leading in from the front door. It could only be the 'extra' stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Maybe it's the Tesco way to get people in the door.
    They wander around looking for the unavailable TV. only to then buy something else so they don't go home empty handed?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If its advertised in the newspaper it should be on a pallet beside the front door or in the main aisle leading in from the front door. It could only be the 'extra' stores.

Nope, no sign in my local extra store. After one for a bedroom. Might try once more tomorrow, after that ill just give up looking. Very disappointing seeing a Samsung box from a distance only to realise its the 19" for 200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Gipo3 wrote: »

It's in their online magazine too, p14: http://www.tesco.ie/pricenews/

Front cover says from 6th January - maybe that first batch was just to see if they'd sell, and there'll be several pallets in stores for the next few days.

Or maybe they fcuked up and put them out early.

Or (most likely) it's just a marketing ploy to get people into the shop.

I don't really need a TV, but at that price, even I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I have gone into Tesco on Thursday mornings for similar ads on the Indo in the past only to find none and when i ask staff they always say they are sold out :mad: eventually i copped on and stopped getting excited by those ads and stopped going in wasting an hour of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the Tesco way to get people in the door.
    They wander around looking for the unavailable TV. only to then buy something else so they don't go home empty handed?
    Wallmart do this by advertising a really really cheap applicance that is available in store but most people upgrade to a more expensive but better quality appliance when they come in the store and are confronted with a more expensive but more attractive product. Difference here is tesco dont even have them in store!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Gipo3 wrote: »

One in the Tesco brochure I have says it is the T200HD - a 20" screen - still - good value if it does the full Saorview. - says "Full HD 1080p".

So if it is a different offer to the 22" originally posted, maybe there will be stock for customers?

Is £289 on Amazon!

Think I'll head down to Tesco Douglas this morning and see if they have any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Waterford:

According to Tesco Ardkeen, no Waterford store got them.

According to Tesco Lisduggan, no Waterford store got them or will get them as these type of offers only apply to the Dublin stores.

Can't find the number for Ballybeg. Poleberry not answering.

Waterford:

According to Tesco Ardkeen, no Waterford store got them.

According to Tesco Lisduggan, no Waterford store got them or will get them as these type of offers only apply to the Dublin stores.

Can't find the number for Ballybeg. Poleberry not answering.

Is this the t200hd you asked about?

Seriously if Ardkeen didn't get any its a case for the asai: http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

Going out there later, will ask, but won't be buying, on a serious budget!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Is this the t200hd you asked about?

Yup.

Conversation with Ardkeen was like this:

Good morning, I'm calling in relation to a TV I've seen in your flyer.
    Oh yes, the Samsung T200HD is it, the 20" one for €99?
    etc etc..

I got an inkling I wasn't the first caller..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Douglas and Mahon didn't get them today either,So tomorrow morning is a good bet.
    I was told the pallet they got last week in Mahon went in under an hour.

where is the 22" coming from, the original post was about the 20" T200 also. I believe this is as others have said, they have no stock, will not be getting any further stock in and are only using the advert to get people in store to buy other things

• Advertisement

only using the advert to get people in store to buy other things

Shirley dat's irregal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I checked the Tesco in Jervis St shopping centre.

They had none.
    They said each store only got 1 or 2 sets.
    She didn't even bother checking the stock system.

Ah man, this is blatant gaming by Tesco staff. :mad:

Shirley dat's irregal?

Impossible to prove really, and don't call me Shirley :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

None in Galway last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭pissed

None in Ashbourne either.

Can anyone that manages to get one say where they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ah man, this is blatant gaming by Tesco staff. :mad:

Its Deja Vu.
    I recall these shenanigans going on at Tesco every January for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The guy in Tesco laughed when I asked about this in Clearwater. Said they only got a couple of these in before Christmas and they were snatched up by staff before they went on general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

cork45 wrote: »
    Douglas and Mahon didn't get them today either,So tomorrow morning is a good bet.
    I was told the pallet they got last week in Mahon went in under an hour.

Spoke to a manager said to be "the man" for electrical items in Douglas about noon today - he said they had only received 2 of the items and that was yesterday. Said he had lots of people asking about them..... I didn't ask if staff had bought any. Neither did he suggest there were any more coming in.
    Said he had one of the Sony 40" ones in the warehouse - dunno why it was not out on display though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

This really shows tesco up as a kip ,if they don't have reasonable stock.

Advertisement