Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Stressed enough lately. Am rather unnerved presently. I hope this passes soon.

hope so too friend. Seems to be a lot of us in the same boat at the same time.

cloud493 wrote: »
    The fact everyone else is out having fun lying round in the sun with their friends, and all I've done is work, exercise, then come in and hide is bringing me down a bit.

you should be proud of yourself cloud.
    You managed all that today
    The sun is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

InReality wrote: »
    How'd today go Stinkle ?
    Alright in the end thanks. I didn't take any crap woohoo. Ive been annoyed at being put under pressure for a project that should have been dealt with ages ago (not ). Its crap timing with other things I have going on and stuff keep happening like being asked to send on info I sent months ago, that kind of thing. Also trying to undermine the work I've submitted. Its a toxic environment and very negative.

In the past now! Didn't need my meds and I'm glad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Chest starting to tighten with panic. Bang on schedule too. Damn I had hoped I hadn't fallen into some sort of pattern.

Don't want to sound cliched/patronising, but have you tried exercise the moment it starts coming on? Only thing that seems to half work for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

fr336 wrote: »
    Don't want to sound cliched/patronising, but have you tried exercise the moment it starts coming on? Only thing that seems to half work for me.

Was stuck in the office so couldn't do a thing. Got away for a bit of a walk later but the damage was done by then really..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Was stuck in the office so couldn't do a thing. Got away for a bit of a walk later but the damage was done by then really..

Is it easy to go and get 5 mins of fresh air there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

fr336 wrote: »
    Is it easy to go and get 5 mins of fresh air there?

Certain times it's impossible to move for an hour or so.. Too many things going on to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hi I've generalised anxiety disorder and it has flared up the past few weeks. Apart from medication I'm trying to help myself come through it. So I've been:

Meditating daily
    Practising mindfullness
    Seeing psychologist once a week
    Trying to get out of the house
    Positive thinking
    Daily affirmations
    Weekly reiki sessions
    Lowered coffee to one small cup a day

Is there anything else you could add that I am missing????? Some days seem to be better than other and it can be so disheartening when you've had a good day but wake up in the horrors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Had to take my two weeks holidays from work.Nothing to do all day and nobody to spend the days with either.Doing all the stuff my counselor suggested and she's very kindly offered to see me twice a week for these two weeks,but still feel incredibly isolated and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi I've generalised anxiety disorder and it has flared up the past few weeks. Apart from medication I'm trying to help myself come through it. So I've been:

Meditating daily
    Practising mindfullness
    Seeing psychologist once a week
    Trying to get out of the house
    Positive thinking
    Daily affirmations
    Weekly reiki sessions
    Lowered coffee to one small cup a day

Is there anything else you could add that I am missing????? Some days seem to be better than other and it can be so disheartening when you've had a good day but wake up in the horrors

You're doing really well with this stuff, in time you'll see the benefit of it all :)

One thing you might like to add is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it's one of the most recommended treatments for anxiety. I see that you're already seeing a therapist, so you probably don't want to add CBT in on top of that, but there's a great free online course that you can do instead and it will give you a good insight into how it works and how to apply it: (I can't post the link, but the website it called Mood Gym, it'll be the first hit if you google.)

Anxiety issues are often rooted in unhealthy thought patterns, the way that we view and react to the world is what makes us feel bad. Then our brain reacts to this perceived threat (your brain doesn't know the difference between a real or imagined threat/stressor) by releasing stress hormones into your body. The hormones will make you feel even more anxious and so you worry more and on the cycle goes. CBT will teach you to look at the way you think and challenge thoughts that are irrational or overly anxious, and help you to cut off this process at the beginning. It will also help you to be unafraid of feeling anxious, and to simply accept it instead.

The work you're already doing will have a beneficial effect on the stress levels in your body, as I'm sure you're already learning through your practices. But CBT and your other therapy will help you to learn about how your thoughts work and how they can affect your anxiety levels. Approaching anxiety from both these angles will give you plenty of tools to support yourself and get better :)

If you wanted to add something else to the mix you could consider ways to raise levels of endorphins (hormones that will make you feel happy and lower stress levels). Exercise is a great way to do this naturally. Laughter is great for it too, watch something that makes you laugh every day! Connecting with your loved ones will do it, as will allowing yourself to engage in your hobbies, little luxuries and just things that simply make you feel good. Do something every day that raises your mood!

With all of the above, including the work you're already doing, you'll feel empowered, more in control of yourself and your life and most important of all, you'll feel happy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you're waking up with anxiety it can be down to low blood sugar in the morning. Keep a banana by your bed and eat it as soon as you wake, then don't leave it long until breakfast! Never skip breakfast, and don't stay too long in bed thinking about things or worrying, just get up and distract yourself. If you think it might be down to poor sleep quality then looking at methods to help you get a deeper sleep will help :)

• Advertisement

BlueFairy wrote: »
    You're doing really well with this stuff, in time you'll see the benefit of it all :)

One thing you might like to add is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it's one of the most recommended treatments for anxiety. I see that you're already seeing a therapist, so you probably don't want to add CBT in on top of that, but there's a great free online course that you can do instead and it will give you a good insight into how it works and how to apply it: (I can't post the link, but the website it called Mood Gym, it'll be the first hit if you google.)

Anxiety issues are often rooted in unhealthy thought patterns, the way that we view and react to the world is what makes us feel bad. Then our brain reacts to this perceived threat (your brain doesn't know the difference between a real or imagined threat/stressor) by releasing stress hormones into your body. The hormones will make you feel even more anxious and so you worry more and on the cycle goes. CBT will teach you to look at the way you think and challenge thoughts that are irrational or overly anxious, and help you to cut off this process at the beginning. It will also help you to be unafraid of feeling anxious, and to simply accept it instead.

The work you're already doing will have a beneficial effect on the stress levels in your body, as I'm sure you're already learning through your practices. But CBT and your other therapy will help you to learn about how your thoughts work and how they can affect your anxiety levels. Approaching anxiety from both these angles will give you plenty of tools to support yourself and get better :)

If you wanted to add something else to the mix you could consider ways to raise levels of endorphins (hormones that will make you feel happy and lower stress levels). Exercise is a great way to do this naturally. Laughter is great for it too, watch something that makes you laugh every day! Connecting with your loved ones will do it, as will allowing yourself to engage in your hobbies, little luxuries and just things that simply make you feel good. Do something every day that raises your mood!

With all of the above, including the work you're already doing, you'll feel empowered, more in control of yourself and your life and most important of all, you'll feel happy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you're waking up with anxiety it can be down to low blood sugar in the morning. Keep a banana by your bed and eat it as soon as you wake, then don't leave it long until breakfast! Never skip breakfast, and don't stay too long in bed thinking about things or worrying, just get up and distract yourself. If you think it might be down to poor sleep quality then looking at methods to help you get a deeper sleep will help :)

Brilliant informative reply thanks so much I'm going to look up that website about the cbt

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

Glad you found it helpful, and hopefully you'll find the CBT link helpful too. It was my doctor who recommended it to me, so it's got a good reputation. I've been through the mill with anxiety myself the last few years, learned a lot! Thankfully doing much better now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

Anyone else finding it hard to feel upbeat these days despite the glorious sunshine. For the most part I always enjoyed summer time when weather is good, however this year I feel extremely anxious in terms of what to wear etc, I guess my hang up on how others view me is seeping into all aspects of day to day living for me...sickened with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

I have been a nervous and exhausted wreck for most of my life. I have been diagnosed with and treated for the following conditions,most of which your average GP will never have heard of and know about 20 other people on similar protocols, and we have all experienced dramatic changes. Copper overload, histadellia, pyroluria, dysbiosis and digestive enzyme insufficiency. Histapenia is another cause of anxiety. There is only One Dr that I know of in Ireland who tests for and treats these conditions. If anyone is interested please PM me for details. I was so disfunctional that I did not even own a computer until I progressed with this treatment. CBT and exercise were totally unhelpful for me. Hope this helps someone. The available help does not help everyone.

Damn it.. Trying not to let things get to me but messed up.. Hospital and stitches again. Start over..

Dug out my copy of self help for your nerves by dr Claire weekes and actually feeling a lot better already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dug out my copy of self help for your nerves by dr Claire weekes and actually feeling a lot better already

It had an immediate effect on me too.

Hmm, might look that up.. I'm thinking I've a tough month or two coming up..

How are ye all?

Do order it. I might have to order it again I haven't seen my copy in ages, suspect my ex took it with her... the bitch :pac: jk smiley face

I'm just trying to steady the ship at the moment. Very scared of how bad it has been the last week, very difficult to even cope with that.

I'll try anything at this point. Badly let down this week by a woman I regarded as a good friend.. I know I'm no picnic to deal with at times but what she's dropped on me is hardly comparable.. Disappointed and crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Had a really **** week just there. Am dreading the upcoming one now. :(

Had a really **** week just there. Am dreading the upcoming one now. :(

Hope it picks up for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hope it picks up for you...

Thanks G :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Haven't talked to anybody since Thursday (besides saying thanks to shop assistants etc) just feel very alone and down.Life just seems a bit pointless at the moment.Haven't been sleeping too well either.

I'm in the same boat, i'd say if ye compile the words i've spoken for the last month it could fit on a single a4 page easily. very unhealthy

Feeling like ****e lately. Tired of fighting so im gonna give in for a few days.
    Couch and boxsets for a while. I've asked people not to call or contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

handbagmad wrote: »
    Feeling like ****e lately. Tired of fighting so im gonna give in for a few days.
    Couch and boxsets for a while. I've asked people not to call or contact.

Are you sure thats a good idea?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Are you sure thats a good idea?

im only talking two days max maybe.
    Im not so much down as im feeling very run down. As in no energy whatsoever.

Even to type is a huge effort. Ill be fine in a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

handbagmad wrote: »
    im only talking two days max maybe.
    Im not so much down as im feeling very run down. As in no energy whatsoever.

Even to type is a huge effort. Ill be fine in a few days

Absolutely not trying to pontificate or patronise, but I found that a walk or some light exercise revitalised me for a bit when I was in situations like yours. I always chose a time and route where I'd be least likely to have human contact, until I recharged to some degree. I should have thought of wearing sunglasses and headphones before...

• Advertisement

Feeling kind of annoyed that I'm letting one situation really get to me.. Has my mind going in circles. Need to figure a way to get out of this..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement