Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Am Alive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

How is a 7 below average?
    Because more review sites and publications operate on a 7-10 scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Is the save system driving anybody else crazy?
    I made it from the mall through the dust to the start of the building with the medical package for mei. This is point a.

Since then I progressed as far as defeating different gangs, getting the generator working, scaling around the building and finally gaining the medical package and grappling hook and then went as far as sliding down the building to return back to the mall. During this my retires depleted and I had to start back from my last, game determined, save point, which is point a above.

The thoughts of having to replay all of that section again has put me off the game for the evening and it's doubtful if I will go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The climbing sections are a pain.
    You use all you're resources to complete them and then face a gang with no health top ups.

Other then that, loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I played it again last night and went back to the start of the Mall and right the way through to where I died on Sunday night. This actually put me in a better position as I discovered a lot of supplies I missed on my first run so although I had to essentially replay everything, I'm stronger now for it.

One strange thing I noticed however is that some areas where I found supplies on Sunday night had nothing in them last night. There is a wall section where I originally found a bullet and soda/ food can however last night there was only a bullet there. Is the game trying to ration out supplies for gamers?

Also, the chap
    who needs the inhaler in the mall, beneath Mai. As I was climbing down to him I saw another opening towards the end of the elevator shaft. It looked like you would have to drop down and then grab the next ledge but the gap seemed a bit too big. Has anyone tried to access that area?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I Am Alive, the long-anticipated believable post-apocalyptic action-adventure game from Ubisoft, will be available to download on Sony Entertainment Network on April 4th, 2012.

And as icing on the cake, early PlayStation Plus buyers – within the first two weeks – will benefit from an exclusive 20% discount on the game.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/03/20/i-am-alive-to-hit-psn-on-april-4/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent thanks f1ngers, waiting on this news for ages!! So do xboxxers recommend this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm really enjoying it so far, although I've only got to play it for maybe 2/2.5 hours on and off. As mentioned it can be difficult to complete a climbing section and arrive to find a gang waiting for you and only have one bullet, but a good challenge nonetheless. The look and feel of it reminds me of The Road & I'd say it's definately worth picking up for the price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I keep mixing this game up with another one that I can't think of the name of,it's about a father and daughter and there's zombies in it,it was announced last december for the ps3,can anyone tell me the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I keep mixing this game up with another one that I can't think of the name of,it's about a father and daughter and there's zombies in it,it was announced last december for the ps3,can anyone tell me the name of it?
    The Last of Us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

thats it thank you

• Advertisement

I'm reading very mediocre reviews for this and some people saying it's just crap but I'm still really looking forward to it. What is the difference between normal and hardcore mode?

So anyone else getting this for PS3 tomorrow? I'm looking forward to giving it a lash.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So anyone else getting this for PS3 tomorrow? I'm looking forward to giving it a lash.

I'll be getting it tomorrow, but due to work/Super Sunday I won't get to play it til monday...:(
    I could play after work, but usually tired and fall asleep no matter what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Excellent thanks f1ngers, waiting on this news for ages!! So do xboxxers recommend this?

Yes this was a really enjoyable if gloomy game well worth the admission fee. Just make sure to look in every corner for supplies and bullets, and if your playing hard mode help the people along the way to get retry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'll probably pick it up. It's only 8e sure.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'll probably pick it up. It's only 8e sure.

Is that the PS+ price?

Is that the PS+ price?

Well, if 20% off saves you 1.99, it's fairly obvious what the price is. :)

I only ask because I thought the original price was 15 euro so you could understand my confusion on where you got 8 quid out of?

Would be brilliant if it was just a tenner.

I only ask because I thought the original price was 15 euro so you could understand my confusion on where you got 8 quid out of?

Would be brilliant if it was just a tenner.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/03/29/heads-up-playstation-plus-update-4th-april-2012/

Says 20% off, so you save 1.99. That gives the game a price of a tenner. If it's 15, 20% off would be 2.99 or so. Either way, we shall find out tomorrow!

Ah either way I don't buy enough on PSN for it to be worth it buying a PS+ subscription. Although just saw Shift 2 is free on PS+ from tomorrow. Best racing game I played on PS3!

• Advertisement

I only got the 3 months so see what it's like but I've saved more than the cost price so far, but that's a discussion for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

This looks good will check it out

So, anyone on PSN today and see this? Can't check til I get home, can't find a price in euro at all. I see there is a demo as well but think I will just go for the full thing.

So, anyone on PSN today and see this? Can't check til I get home, can't find a price in euro at all. I see there is a demo as well but think I will just go for the full thing.

Don't think PSN is updated until around 6pm.

I'm in work too, but had a look at the price on the US store before work this morning - $15, which is approx. E13.

Coming it at 14.99 or 11.99 for PS+

Someone at Sony needs to learn percentages!

Thats so ****ing ****!! Im still buying it as I really want to play it but FFS!!!

Wow loving this so far. Just made it to my
    apartment
    near the start, such a silent hill feel to it, great atmosphere.

Just 2 things:
    1 - when I came out of the
    sewer
    , the sound and music started stuttering. This happen anyone else?
    2 - When you encounter the
    2 guys who kick through the fence, I backed them up to a nearby hole in the ground but no prompt to kick them down it. Had to use my only bullet to get out of that situation, sickened to even use it. Is it only certain pre designed holes you can kick them down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

How much time does it take to play through? I've played the demo and like it so far, but am hoping for a longer, deeper experience in the full game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Daemos wrote: »
    How much time does it take to play through? I've played the demo and like it so far, but am hoping for a longer, deeper experience in the full game

I'm five hours into the game and according to the stats I'm 63% done. I've only got five chapters to go though I'm thinking I'm nearer three quarters of the way through. It feels like I've been playing for more than five hours though, in fact I'm sure I have so perhaps the clock jumps back when you run out of retries and have to reset to the last save location.

Or maybe it feels longer because the game is so tense.

I had no clue about this game before Thursday. It was an impulse purchase on PSN when I realised I had exactly the same amount left in my wallet after I downloaded Journey as this cost. The things it does well it does very well. The mood, the setting, the tension... they're all very engaging. The lack of ammo makes confrontations very tactical and dramatic.

It's not perfect though. Every confrontation with a hostile or group of hostiles tends to end pretty much the same way (them or you dying). It would be nice if there were more stand-offs. I'd like to be able to play through this and keeping my bodycount down but that isn't really an option. The main character is written as being quite sound and the game encourages you to help people when you can but at the same time he seems to mercilessly hack through anyone who gets in his way. Now I'm not one to shy away from video game violence, but it just seems inconsistent in this case.

Advertisement