Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford Senior Hurling Championship 4th Round

Sunday August 28

Fourmilewater 1-13 De La Salle 1-13

This was a game which Fourmilewater should have won comfortably, but a combination of poor shooting and poor second half tactics allowed county and Munster champions De La Salle to come from behind to snatch a late draw. Hurling, apparently, has been given much more emphasis this year in the eternal tug-of-war between FMW and the Nire, and it showed, as the Ballymacarbry-based outfit got stuck in from the off and, combining well, they repeatedly tore holes in the De La Salle defence.

They got a tonic of a start when corner forward and county minor star Jamie Barron flicked cleverly to the net in the second minute after full forward Shane Walsh had created the opening. Despite playing against a stiff breeze, FMW dominated the first half exchanges and went in at half time 1-8 to 1-5 ahead, De La Salle’s goal having been scored half way through the half by Eoin Madigan who was put in by Jake Dillon.

De La Salle raised their game on the restart and quickly restored scoring parity before FMW came back strongly, but some terrible shooting from out the field with the wind at their back meant they made little impression on the scoreboard. Amazingly, FMW left both Jamie Barron and Shane Walsh in the full forward line where they watched shot after shot from out the field sail over their heads. In all, FMW had ten second half wides to De La Salle’s three. FMW persisted with their interpassing game right to the end, and while they did create enough scoring chances to win the game handily, either they should have mixed it by sending in more ball to the full forward line or should have brought Barron out the field where his shooting accuracy could have been put the better use.

It was nip and tuck for the last ten minutes with both sides trading points and, with time running out and FMW a single point ahead, Kevin Moran came up the field to win a free which Brian Phelan converted to tie up the game at the final whistle.

FMW: Conor Ryan; Tomás O’Gorman; Rory Rice; Liam Walsh; Maurice O’Gorman; Liam Lawlor; Shane Lawlor; Seamus Lawlor (0-1); Brian Wall; Michael O’Gorman (0-1); Alan Lawlor (0-3); Craig Guiry; Shane Ryan; Shane Walsh (0-3); Jamie Barron (1-5, 3 frees). Subs used: Justin Walsh; Richie Fenton.

De La Salle: John Coady; Kenneth Byrne; Ian Flynn; Michael Doherty; Brian Phelan (0-4, all frees); Kevin Moran; Conan Watt; Eddie Barrett; Dean Twomey; Páidí Nevin (0-1); Jake Dillon (0-2); David Greene (0-1); Eoin Madigan (1-1); John Mullane (0-4, one free), Lee Hayes. Subs used: Stephen Daniels; Shane McNulty.

Lismore 5-14 Abbeyside 2-13

Looking at this final score, it is hard to believe that, after just ten minutes, Abbeyside led by no less than nine points, 2-5 to 0-2. They got off to a brilliant start, with Mark Ferncombe and Mark Gorman getting on the end of defence-splitting passing moves to fire to the net in the first five minutes. However, playing against the wind, Lismore clawed their way back into the game, with Maurice Shanahan giving them a lifeline with a goal from a 20 metre free after 20 minutes. At the other end, Abbeyside missed some very straightforward chances, including two Richie Foley frees and a bad miss by Podsie Hurney who allowed Brendan Landers to deflect his point-blank shot from close range over the bar. Then, with virtually the last puck of the half, Maurice Shanahan flashed the ball to the net from close range after an Abbeyside defender failed to clear his lines, leaving the half-time score Abbeyside 2-10 Lismore 2-7.

Playing with the wind in the second half, Lismore quickly reduced the deficit to the minimum, but then the game went through a 15-minute spell without a score at either end before Lismore finally equalised. Abbeyside, who continued to miss easy chances, then regained the initiative before being rocked back by a blistering shot to the net from John Prendergast following an excellent crossfield ball by Stephen O’Keeffe. Lismore followed up with another well-crafted goal by John Heneghan, and whatever chance Abbeyside had of getting back into the game was lost when Mark Ferncombe missed an absolute sitter from the edge of the square. In the closing stages the Cathedral Town men put the icing on the cake when substitute Dave Bennett billowed the net having been set up by Dan Shanahan.

Following this game one was left wondering again at the shabby treatment meted out to Maurice Shanahan by Davy Fitzgerald over the last two years – treatment which may have been very costly indeed for Waterford’s hurling fortunes. In this game he was absolutely heroic, repeatedly winning the ball and carrying the game to Abbeyside. Despite receiving some heavy treatment, he ended up with a scoring tally of 2-5, and was involved in virtually every Lismore attack of note. Another key feature of the game was the superb catching and striking of young Paudie Prendergast, who lined out at centre back despite wearing No. 13.

The standard of hurling in this game was generally quite good, but Lismore’s ability to win primary possession and their greater desire, coupled with Abbeyside’s bad shooting, made them very deserving winners in the end. I think it was Dave Bennett who got the super point near the end which Mountain Lad attributed to Paul Fennessy.

Lismore: Brendan Landers; Eoin Bennett; David O’Gorman; Shane Heaphy; Shane Kearney; Paudie Prendergast; Shane Bennett (0-1); John Prendergast (1-2); Ray Barry (0-1); Stephen O’Keeffe (0-1); David Howard; Maurice Shanahan (2-5, 1-2 frees); Peter O’Keeffe (0-1); Dan Shanahan (0-1); John Heneghan (1-1). Sub used: Dave Bennett (1-1).

Abbeyside: Daryl Ryan; Gavin Breen; Shane Briggs; Maurice Power; John Phelan; John Hurney; Eoin Enright; Seán O’Hare; James O’Mahoney; Gary Hurney (0-2); Richie Foley (0-3, 2 frees); Patrick Hurney (0-1); Mark Gorman (1-2, 2 frees); Mark Fives (0-2); Mark Ferncombe (1-3). Sub used: Patrick Lynch.

In the other games played over the weekend, Ballygunner and Ballyduff Upper had easy wins over Tallow and Stradbally, respectively, Roanmore edged Passage out by a point while Dungarvan came from well behind to force a draw with Mount Sion.

In the final of the Arrabawn Under-16 hurling tournament in Thurles today, Cork beat Waterford by (I think) 1-19 to 1-11. I missed the first half as the game started at 12 noon despite being advertised for 12.30 on the Munster GAA website. Cork led at half time by 1-12 to 0-5 having played with the wind. The second half was evenly balanced (including on the score board) but Waterford lacked a cutting edge up front and never looked like closing the gap significantly. The fact that they played two full forwards for most of the second half despite playing with the wind didn’t help. Waterford had some good hurlers but a lot of them seemed to be affected by the occasion (or perhaps their efforts on Saturday). This fair play to them for getting to the final and keeping Waterford at the forefront of underage hurling.

I admire your reporting skills and such and the detail with which you aobserve games. I didn't actually have a programme, the lad I'm on about wore a red helmet, couple of Lismore lads beside us told us it was Paul Fennessey, but I'm not sure.

I'd have to say I disagree about the Fourmile tactics. While Jamie Barron had an incredible game given his age, he still hit a few wides and the balls that went into him in the second half, he wasn't winning them. They took some stupid shots at times, but there were some chances they had where they just shot poorly when they had plenty of space like. I don't think it was tactics really. Also, with ball winners in the shape of Phelan, Moran and Daniels in the DLS half back line, putting Jamie Barron there would have been a mistake in my opinion. Takin the wrong option probably cost them but I'd imagine they won't be too disappointed because it was a valiant effort and a sign of the form there in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I admire your reporting skills and such and the detail with which you aobserve games. I didn't actually have a programme, the lad I'm on about wore a red helmet, couple of Lismore lads beside us told us it was Paul Fennessey, but I'm not sure.

I'd have to say I disagree about the Fourmile tactics. While Jamie Barron had an incredible game given his age, he still hit a few wides and the balls that went into him in the second half, he wasn't winning them. They took some stupid shots at times, but there were some chances they had where they just shot poorly when they had plenty of space like. I don't think it was tactics really. Also, with ball winners in the shape of Phelan, Moran and Daniels in the DLS half back line, putting Jamie Barron there would have been a mistake in my opinion. Takin the wrong option probably cost them but I'd imagine they won't be too disappointed because it was a valiant effort and a sign of the form there in.

Was it Michael Doherty that marked him in the second half, he was not given the freedom he was in the first half. He played well however, overall. Was Craig Guiry's point in the second half a score. I know it was given. The umpires were very unsure. From where i was it looked wide. Both umpires were badly placed. However in saying that, there wasnt much complaints from De La Salle about it.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Was it Michael Doherty that marked him in the second half, he was not given the freedom he was in the first half. He played well however, overall. Was Craig Guiry's point in the second half a score. I know it was given. The umpires were very unsure. From where i was it looked wide. Both umpires were badly placed. However in saying that, there wasnt much complaints from De La Salle about it.

Don't remember thinking it was wide. There was one point the De La Salle lads were protesting but I thought it was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Waterford Senior Hurling

In the final of the Arrabawn Under-16 hurling tournament in Thurles today, Cork beat Waterford by (I think) 1-19 to 1-11. I missed the first half as the game started at 12 noon despite being advertised for 12.30 on the Munster GAA website. Cork led at half time by 1-12 to 0-5 having played with the wind. The second half was evenly balanced (including on the score board) but Waterford lacked a cutting edge up front and never looked like closing the gap significantly. The fact that they played two full forwards for most of the second half despite playing with the wind didn’t help. Waterford had some good hurlers but a lot of them seemed to be affected by the occasion (or perhaps their efforts on Saturday). This fair play to them for getting to the final and keeping Waterford at the forefront of underage hurling.

Cheers for the reports, as Mountain said very good attention to detail. Any idea of any of the players on that U16 team beaten today?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

Great to see Lismore doin well from a Meathman with a father from Main Street at Ferry Lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the canary

thought abbeyside were very good for 50 minutes and they made a few positional errors i felt,patrick hurny could of won the game on his own for abbeyside with the posession he had which is suprising because he usually very accurate he had a great game bar his end product,mark ferncombe and gary hurny were good too,lismore will have to improve in the full back line if they are to challenge this year dont think they wil be a threat if a team can stop maurice, they lack the sufficent back up to win a county,abbeyside and fourmile should be a cracker next week because if abbeyside beat foumile they will finish third ahead of fourmile and have the supposingly easier draw or if they lose they are out,but if abbeyside win and ballyduff win this means fourmile are out, should be a exciting end to the group stage.none of these 3 teams are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gladiators

Anybody know which players played well for waterford in the u16 tournament??

the canary wrote: »
    thought abbeyside were very good for 50 minutes and they made a few positional errors i felt,patrick hurny could of won the game on his own for abbeyside with the posession he had which is suprising because he usually very accurate he had a great game bar his end product,mark ferncombe and gary hurny were good too,lismore will have to improve in the full back line if they are to challenge this year dont think they wil be a threat if a team can stop maurice, they lack the sufficent back up to win a county,abbeyside and fourmile should be a cracker next week because if abbeyside beat foumile they will finish third ahead of fourmile and have the supposingly easier draw or if they lose they are out,but if abbeyside win and ballyduff win this means fourmile are out, should be a exciting end to the group stage.none of these 3 teams are safe.

There is very little to suggest Ballyduff could beat De La Salle.

Again I haven't seen many teams able to cope with Maurice at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

There is very little to suggest Ballyduff could beat De La Salle.

Again I haven't seen many teams able to cope with Maurice at club level.

I'd agree, Ballyduff are a pale shadow of the team that won the county in 2007. Mike Molumphy's workrate and ball winning ability and the goal threat Pa Kearney brought are being sorely missed. A few injuries to key players at the moment and with a small pick anyway means i don't see them troubling De La Salle

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

It was definitely Dave Bennett (or Daithi Mac Bineid as he was listed on the programme). I never saw him wearing a red helmet before but he was limbering up on the sideline in front of me for ten minutes before he came on, with No. 23 on his jersey (as in the team sheet that was distributed). His goal and point were also vintage Bennett. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck etc. By the way, they ran out of team sheets ten minutes before the start of the evening game. And in the afternoon the shop had no crisps or Mars bars by half time in the first game. All part of normal service from the Waterford County Board.

I missed most of the first game because of hundreds of cyclists on the Clonmel road coming from Thurles and on top of all that I was held up by a herd of cows crossing the road out near Beary’s Cross (although they didn’t hold up a big group of cyclists whom I had just passed and whom I had to pass again further down the road). The things I do to keep tabs of hurling in Waterford!

As for Jamie Barron, I don’t recall much ball going his way in the second half. And even though De La Salle have a good ball-winning half back line, Fourmilewater got around that by cleverly working the ball out of the half back line and through midfield to the half forwards. After all, FMW shot ten wides in the second half and while some of these were low percentage efforts from Hail Mary positions, I would say half of them were free shots which should have been scored. My point was that if Jamie Barron had been taking some of these shots they would more likely have been scored, as he is the best striker of a ball on the FMW team.

• Advertisement

It was definitely Dave Bennett (or Daithi Mac Bineid as he was listed on the programme). I never saw him wearing a red helmet before but he was limbering up on the sideline in front of me for ten minutes before he came on, with No. 23 on his jersey (as in the team sheet that was distributed). His goal and point were also vintage Bennett. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck etc. By the way, they ran out of team sheets ten minutes before the start of the evening game. And in the afternoon the shop had no crisps or Mars bars by half time in the first game. All part of normal service from the Waterford County Board.

I missed most of the first game because of hundreds of cyclists on the Clonmel road coming from Thurles and on top of all that I was held up by a herd of cows crossing the road out near Beary’s Cross (although they didn’t hold up a big group of cyclists whom I had just passed and whom I had to pass again further down the road). The things I do to keep tabs of hurling in Waterford!

As for Jamie Barron, I don’t recall much ball going his way in the second half. And even though De La Salle have a good ball-winning half back line, Fourmilewater got around that by cleverly working the ball out of the half back line and through midfield to the half forwards. After all, FMW shot ten wides in the second half and while some of these were low percentage efforts from Hail Mary positions, I would say half of them were free shots which should have been scored. My point was that if Jamie Barron had been taking some of these shots they would more likely have been scored, as he is the best striker of a ball on the FMW team.

The shop in Walsh Park or Fraher Field has nothing to do with the G.A.A. They have the space leased out.

I'd say 4 to 5 balls went down his way second half he didn't win them. Not criticising him, fantastic performance by him, but I dunno that that would have changed moving him out the field. Also, first half he hit two or three wides, he was under pressure for them like. I'm sure he probably would have scored some of the missed opportunities but who would he have moved out instead of? Michael O'Gorman was to me the best player on view due to his aerial prowess, and ability to run at the De La Salle backs. Alan Lawlor scored three points off Kevin Moran, and while I don't doubt Jamie Barron's qualities would you really expect a greater return from a minor off a player like Moran? And then Bull Phelan was the other wing and to be honest they didn't need Barron on him, he could have been badly hurt.

Maybe they could have tried him out the field when scores dried up, but they were still creating plenty of chances. Management obviously held faith in the players further out the field to score those chances.
    I don't think they've been hitting such bad wides in general this year, but i agree there was several very bad wides hit by them. Hard to blame management for that. Think they should be happy that they've something to improve on and still managed a draw against the reigning Munster champions.

Are you sure Bennett scored the goal then? I was certain it was a fella in a black helmet, or certainly it was him that did all the jumping afterwards.
    Beating Ballyduff by 8 points (could have been more) after losing heavily to them last year and also losing by something similar to De La Salle last year and now drawing with them would be considered a fair achievemnet by most. I'm sure it'll be seen as a game that should have be won, but even if it was would count for nothing if they were to lose in a quarter final say. That's how I'd view it if I was involved in that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The shop in Walsh Park or Fraher Field has nothing to do with the G.A.A. They have the space leased out.

It's the County Board's responsibility to ensure that those who get the leases for the shops provide a proper service. If not, they should lose the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

i have a premium hurling final ticket i would like to swap for premium football final ticket. Any takers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What do ye think of Molumphy wanting Davy to stay on? I hope he's the only player to come out in support of Davy to stay on, after the Munster Final I'm surprised any of the players would want him to stay - surely they lost a lot of confidence in him after that.
    Molumphy wants Fitzgerald to stay
    Waterford captain Stephen Molumphy has said he would like to see Davy Fitzgerald retained as Senior Hurling Manager.Davy Fitzgerald has been in charge of the side since the summer of 2008 but is now out of contract with Waterford, with the county board having to decide in the coming weeks whether to retain him or look elsewhere.Speaking in the Daily Mail, Stephen Molumphy said that Fitzgerald had handed the changing of the guard exceptionally well, taking as much interest in the minors and under 21s as the Senior side and said he wants him to stay.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-sport/114394.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What do ye think of Molumphy wanting Davy to stay on? I hope he's the only player to come out in support of Davy to stay on, after the Munster Final I'm surprised any of the players would want him to stay - surely they lost a lot of confidence in him after that.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-sport/114394.html

Stephen is Davy's captain and the two get on very well together, so he's not going to say anything different. If Molumphy approached the paper (which I doubt he did) to say that then it's a big seal of approval, but the question what probably poised to him and he gave the only answer he could.

What's of bigger interest is what appeared in the Clare Champion this morning:
    When one door shuts, another opens and that old adage is certainly holding true in Davy Fitzgerald’s case.
    His departure as Waterford hurling manager after a three year reign will become official by the weekend, casting him in the role as the front runner for the vacant Clare job.
    Fitzgerald met with officials of the Waterford County Board last weekend and will make an official announcement of his departure over the next few days. Neither his Waterford exit nor his ambition to assume the mantle in Clare was entirely unexpected.
    A meeting of the County GAA Board is scheduled for September 13 and the expectation is that finding a successor to Ger O’Loughlin as Clare hurling manager will be broached on the night.
    Courted by officials of the Galway County Board in recent weeks, Fitzgerald had a relatively successful stint in Waterford. He was a surprise choice after a player revolt resulted in the shock departure of Justin McCarthy in 2008.
    Within months of assuming control, Waterford’s fortunes experienced a remarkable turnaround. Later that season they qualified for their first All-Ireland final appearance in almost 40 years, but were comprehensively beaten by Kilkenny.
    During his reign, he guided Waterford to three Munster finals, winning the title in 2010, while they firmly established themselves as a top four team in the country. In those three years their championship elimination came at the hands of either Tipperary or Kilkenny.
    Already the rumour mill is at full throttle with speculation as to who is likely to be involved were Fitzgerald to get the endorsement of club delegates as the new Clare hurling manager.
    Brian Lohan, coach to Patrickswell, surprise victors over the Tony Considine trained Kilmallock in last weeend’s Limerick championship quarter-final, is being touted as is Mike Deegan who managed Cratloe to a first ever senior title two years ago.
    Louis Mulqueen, a highly respected physical trainer, who has worked previously with Clare teams under Ger Loughnane and Cyril Lyons, could also come under pressure to rejoin the Clare set up.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7441:davy-fitz-the-frontrunner-for-clare-hurlings-top-job&catid=35:hurling&Itemid=37

I was pretty surprised when I saw that since rumours have been increasing this week that he was going to stay on for another year. On the one hand you'd imagine the paper would have connections in the Clare CB or Davy himself so they'd have a pretty good idea as to what his plans are. But then again there's not even a hint of a source or quote in the piece, so it's hard to tell.

Daysha wrote: »
    Stephen is Davy's captain and the two get on very well together, so he's not going to say anything different. If Molumphy approached the paper (which I doubt he did) to say that then it's a big seal of approval, but the question what probably poised to him and he gave the only answer he could.

What's of bigger interest is what appeared in the Clare Champion this morning:

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7441:davy-fitz-the-frontrunner-for-clare-hurlings-top-job&catid=35:hurling&Itemid=37

I was pretty surprised when I saw that since rumours have been increasing this week that he was going to stay on for another year. On the one hand you'd imagine the paper would have connections in the Clare CB or Davy himself so they'd have a pretty good idea as to what his plans are. But then again there's not even a hint of a source or quote in the piece, so it's hard to tell.

Please, let it be true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Rumour going that Eamonn O'Shea from Liam Sheedys Tipp background team has put his hat in the ring for the Clare job. Might put a spanner in the works for Davy getting the job

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

But do we really want an inexperinced man come in eg Fergal Hartley. Fergal should be given more time with the under 21s than be giving the senoir job. I would not like Jim Greene to get the job because he would be too old school imo. Kevin Ryan is staying in Carlow, An outside boss would b

My managment team for 2012 would be
    Michael Ryan (Manager)
    Jimmy Meaney (Selector (Eastern Divison)
    Dave Bennett (Selector (Western Division)
    Maybe a third selector but cant think of anyone
    Micko Casey (Coach/Team Tranier)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Please, let it be true!!
    i agree with the both of ye,stephen cant say any more, if you remember he done same last year.hopefully it will fall on deaf ears although county chairman has not come out and backed him which he did last year , then chaired a sub committee and reconmended davy to himself very fair that .also heard ger cunningham showing interest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 concerneddeise

It is important not to read too much into Molumphy's comments re Davy, with the management situation still very much uo in the air and Davy still in pole position to get the job again Molumphy realistically would have little option in the maedia but to endorse him wholeheartadly.....in other words if he said it was time for a fresh manager to change things and Davy gets re-appointed then Molumphy -or any other current player for that matter- would be marginalised in the camp (like previous sufferers Aiden Kearney, Liam Lawlor, Declan Prendergast, Brian Phelan amongst others).
    Of more concern should be that the County Board Chairman seems to have no interest in exploring any alternative options for the management position and push through Davy for another 2 years without any debate or interviews. Despite Molumphys comments in the paper the relationship between Davy and the majority of the players on the panel is effectively gone toxic and there is no appetite in the camp to work with him again. He was never universally popular with the players (few managers are very popular with their players) but after the Munster Final tactical shambles and his attempted substitution of John Mullane with 20mins to go v KK in this years semi even those players of a forgiving nature have lost all faith in Davy Fitz. This quite apparent breakdown of faith in him was the main reason he did not accept the initial approach to remain as manager from the Waterford County Board Chairman as he wants the Clare job but the emergence of Jamesie O Connor with Eammon O Shea as a possibility has minimised his chances and has returned to the Waterford County Board looking for a 2 year contract. Without a drastic change of mind from the County Board before the next meeting on 12th of Sept Davy Fitzgeralds appointment will be forced through without the support of clubs and against the wishes of the players and supporters.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    But do we really want an inexperinced man come in eg Fergal Hartley. Fergal should be given more time with the under 21s than be giving the senoir job. I would not like Jim Greene to get the job because he would be too old school imo. Kevin Ryan is staying in Carlow, An outside boss would b

Michael Ryan (Manager)

I dont think there should be an east-west split in the selectors. The most important thing is that we get the best manager and selectors, whether it is 3, 4 or 5 of them.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Michael Ryan (Manager)

I dont think there should be an east-west split in the selectors. The most important thing is that we get the best manager and selectors, whether it is 3, 4 or 5 of them.

It is important not to read too much into Molumphy's comments re Davy, with the management situation still very much uo in the air and Davy still in pole position to get the job again Molumphy realistically would have little option in the maedia but to endorse him wholeheartadly.....in other words if he said it was time for a fresh manager to change things and Davy gets re-appointed then Molumphy -or any other current player for that matter- would be marginalised in the camp (like previous sufferers Aiden Kearney, Liam Lawlor, Declan Prendergast, Brian Phelan amongst others).
    Of more concern should be that the County Board Chairman seems to have no interest in exploring any alternative options for the management position and push through Davy for another 2 years without any debate or interviews. Despite Molumphys comments in the paper the relationship between Davy and the majority of the players on the panel is effectively gone toxic and there is no appetite in the camp to work with him again. He was never universally popular with the players (few managers are very popular with their players) but after the Munster Final tactical shambles and his attempted substitution of John Mullane with 20mins to go v KK in this years semi even those players of a forgiving nature have lost all faith in Davy Fitz. This quite apparent breakdown of faith in him was the main reason he did not accept the initial approach to remain as manager from the Waterford County Board Chairman as he wants the Clare job but the emergence of Jamesie O Connor with Eammon O Shea as a possibility has minimised his chances and has returned to the Waterford County Board looking for a 2 year contract. Without a drastic change of mind from the County Board before the next meeting on 12th of Sept Davy Fitzgeralds appointment will be forced through without the support of clubs and against the wishes of the players and supporters.

Agree with what you have to say, but i would not label all the county board as pro Davy and pushing for him to be re-elected. I get the impression with some time that some of them what to get rid of him, and maybe it could be a case of the sooner the better.

ah agree this east /west thing has contributed enough negativity over years

Agree with what you have to say, but i would not label all the county board as pro Davy and pushing for him to be re-elected. I get the impression with some time that some of them what to get rid of him, and maybe it could be a case of the sooner the better.
    spot on, i sincerely hope your right about some members of county board against it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 concerneddeise

Thats a fair point DeiseTom i accept that not all members of the County Board are pro Davy Fitz and do have reservations about his impending re-appointment but i would ask are they being vociferous enough in their reservations and have they explored alternatives and spoken to possible candidates. The consensus seems to be that other possible candidates are reluctant to declare interest in a job that already looks like a done deal....like entering a contest in public view that there is no chance of winning!! Should these members of the County Board make it known that they are open to discussion on the matter they would be pleasantly suprised at the level of candidate open to approach......but these candidates can not be expected to declare their interest publicly, particularly in the knowledge of Tom Cunningham's personal preference for Davy Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

ah agree this east /west thing has contributed enough negativity over years
    There is no east/west split only respect,look at county championship matches no grudge at all between players.Them days are long gone in waterford in my eyes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

There is no east/west split only respect,look at county championship matches no grudge at all between players.Them days are long gone in waterford in my eyes anyway

+1

• Advertisement

If only the Intermediate and junior championships would go all county. The intermediate Premier championship that Clashmore tried to introduce two or three years back would have been very good to the county, progress wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement