Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford v Clare obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford v Clare obv

Would love to see it, and that we hammer them. Not that I have anything against Clare (absolutely not), just I would love to see the team once and for all open the eyes of those that believe Davy has done a great job keeping Waterford afloat these past 3 years. Mar dhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Would love to see it, and that we hammer them. Not that I have anything against Clare (absolutely not), just I would love to see the team once and for all open the eyes of those that believe Davy has done a great job keeping Waterford afloat these past 3 years. Mar dhea.
    yep

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

do you think we should have a new manager by now with the County Senoir Hurling Semi finals being played this weekend.

Be intresting to see who pops up at this matches. Was former cork boss Denis Walsh not spotted at a few of the Quarter final games (What interest would he have in Club Hurling in Waterford ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tallow are through to the County Final with a 0-13 to 0-10 win over Ballyduff Upper.

Say the town of Tallow will be rocking tonight and for the next 2 weeks.

Congrats Tallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fair play to Tallow, thought Upper would win myself but am happy for them to have a shot at the final. They'll be up against it whether it'll be DLS or BG but they'll have nothing to lose.
    Any report of the game, who played well etc? I'd say by the scoreline it wasn't a great game but given the wet conditions probably was to be expected. Would imagine Tommy Ryan got the bulk of that 0-13.
    Well done the Bridesiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I heard Michael Ryan has given the best interview for the job so far, supposedly he has impressed the selection Committee the most and his backroom team consist's of Nicky Cashin and Pat Flanagan who is originally mount sion living in kerry last few years. Pat is a physical coach an has been workin with kerry senior footballer's for the last few years,So we'l have to wait an see who else gets interviewed...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cake Man wrote: »
    Fair play to Tallow, thought Upper would win myself but am happy for them to have a shot at the final. They'll be up against it whether it'll be DLS or BG but they'll have nothing to lose.
    Any report of the game, who played well etc? I'd say by the scoreline it wasn't a great game but given the wet conditions probably was to be expected. Would imagine Tommy Ryan got the bulk of that 0-13.
    Well done the Bridesiders.

No actually, I dont think he scored more than 3/4 points of it and 2 anyway were from frees, the conditions today really wouldnt suit him tho. The 3 O'Briens were good for Tallow I thought and Ringo was cleaning a lot of ball in the backline, probably played his best for them as ive seen him all year!

Chuffed for Tallow tho lads, like fair duce to them, nobody woulda thought they'd be in the county final :L

I heard Michael Ryan has given the best interview for the job so far, supposedly he has impressed the selection Committee the most and his backroom team consist's of Nicky Cashin and Pat Flanagan who is originally mount sion living in kerry last few years. Pat is a physical coach an has been workin with kerry senior footballer's for the last few years,So we'l have to wait an see who else gets interviewed...

Interesting. Any idea who else has been interviewed so far?

Conditions were bad, second half was just dire though. Dunno that I've seen Fraher Field as bad as that, certainly in the corners where the teams warmed up, though it's probably still a thousand times better than Walsh Park will be if it keeps raining.

Tommy Ryan scored 0-2 frees, and maybe a point from play but I don't think so. Agree that the conditions wouldn't suit him, but that could easily be the case in the Final as well. Paul O'Brien was quite good and despite being taken to the cleaners first half by Jamie Kearney who landed 3 points, James Murray recovered well and dominated there. Ringo played very well I thought, stopped a certain goal when a long ball came down and he was isolated against two Ballyduff players, but he caught it and drove out giving a good ball to one of the midfielders.

First half was enjoyable I felt, but it really deteriorated. I think Tallows win is a bit of a poison challis, because I wouldn't give them a hope against either DLS or Ballygunner. Physically they wouldn't come close to those two teams, and if Jamie Kearney (he is a good hurler admittedly) can take three points of Murray in one half, what would Pauidi Mahony do to him? Neither side even threatened a goal today, Tallows forwards will get nothing in the final. I'm afraid tomorrow really does look like the Final in reality.

That said, congratulations to Tallow, I hope they prove me wrong and give it a good shot in the final.

By the way, I saw Michael Ryan at the game. I would say anybody who is being considered or who actually wants the job was there too, so there need not be any worries about the manager not being picked yet.

• Advertisement

The one thing for me though is the selection committee is practically the same as last year. He was interviewed last year. What could he have said that impressed them that he didn't say last year or that they didn't alreday know from seeing De La Salle in the past year?

The one thing for me though is the selection committee is practically the same as last year. He was interviewed last year. What could he have said that impressed them that he didn't say last year or that they didn't alreday know from seeing De La Salle in the past year?

Well they never said last year that Michael Ryan didnt impress them in fairness,but we know who was to blame in giving Davy the nod last year.. I'm not goin to be saying who said what i'm sure you'l understand that but i'm merely passing some of the info onto ye as much as i'm being told anyway.. Jason Ryan was very careful how he answered me when i asked him was he interested in the job.. Answer i got back was "sher who wouldnt be intersted in the job" so let's see what happens..
    Fair play to Tallow always great to see different clubs gettin to a final, maybe dis will spur them on like it has Ballyduff upper last few yrs an dls in 2005 gettin to county...

Well they never said last year that Michael Ryan didnt impress them in fairness,but we know who was to blame in giving Davy the nod last year.. I'm not goin to be saying who said what i'm sure you'l understand that but i'm merely passing some of the info onto ye as much as i'm being told anyway.. Jason Ryan was very careful how he answered me when i asked him was he interested in the job.. Answer i got back was "sher who wouldnt be intersted in the job" so let's see what happens..
    Fair play to Tallow always great to see different clubs gettin to a final, maybe dis will spur them on like it has Ballyduff upper last few yrs an dls in 2005 gettin to county...

Suppose. Yeah fair enough. To be honest about Jason Ryan or anyone else, unless they're denying it they're definetly interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

PTH2009 wrote: »
    do you think we should have a new manager by now with the County Senoir Hurling Semi finals being played this weekend.

Be intresting to see who pops up at this matches. Was former cork boss Denis Walsh not spotted at a few of the Quarter final games (What interest would he have in Club Hurling in Waterford ??)

From Conna, next door to Tallow and Ballyduff, not a million miles from Lismore. From time to time some people from South Tipp and North and East Cork come into Waterford to see our games just as South Kilkenny people do to see games in Walsh Park.

deise_girl wrote: »
    No actually, I dont think he scored more than 3/4 points of it and 2 anyway were from frees, the conditions today really wouldnt suit him tho. The 3 O'Briens were good for Tallow I thought and Ringo was cleaning a lot of ball in the backline, probably played his best for them as ive seen him all year!

Chuffed for Tallow tho lads, like fair duce to them, nobody woulda thought they'd be in the county final :L

Scorers Today

Evan Sheehan 0-2
    Kieran GEary 0-1
    Paul O'Brien 0-2
    Aaron Pratt 0-2
    Thomas Ryan 0-4 (3 frees, 1 '65)
    Kevin Curley 0-1
    Tommy Daly 0-1

Brendan Hannon 0-5 (5 frees)
    Jamie Kearney 0-4
    John Twomey 0-1

Three new people on it this year.

Did you ask him was he interviewed yet.

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    Did you ask him was he interviewed yet.

I did an he said he hadnt spoken to anyone.. I asked him then was he interested in the job an he said sher who wouldnt be in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Good start to the DLS/BG game anyway. .. o_0

DLS 0:04 - BG 1:03 at half time.
    Dirty play and zero discipline all over the place. Even in the tunnel goin' in at half time

• Advertisement

BG through to county final 2-10 to 0-11. Poor enough game with the wet conditions. DLS really left it behind missing about 5 or 6 frees that would have won them the game.
    Turning point came after HT when JJ Hutchinson goaled straight after the throw in to put daylight between the teams and I don't think DLS were ever in front after that.
    Paudi Nevin sent off after about 5 mins with scuffles all over the field, mentors having to tear players apart and plenty of digs thrown all over the place. Sa Mega Chin said, more scuffles in the tunnel at HT.
    I thought DLS were prob the better team over the 70mins, just the missed frees cost them dearly. Moran was excellent, as was Dean Twomey. Mullane started well but faded out of the game big time and missed a few of those frees. Eoin Madigan was good too. Problem for DLS was the lack of good ball going up to the forwards. BG put Wayne Hutchinson as a sweeper between full and half back lines as the extra man to ensure the DLS forwards were feeding off scraps really.
    Pauric Mahony was decent from frees, something DLS could really have done with.

Ballygunner v Tallow in two weeks time. Walsh park or Fraher field??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ballygunner v Tallow in two weeks time. Walsh park or Fraher field??

Programme says its on in Walsh Park :)

Twaz an amusing match lads, give it that.. Probably could have been better, perhaps conditions again made a bit of a muck of it and I do think DLS played better and probs should of won it only the goals and free taking, but alas those were too big factors and they couldnt keep going. I suppose tirednss, theyve been going since the start of last year.

Either way the final should be one sided enough, Tallow are the team to be feared :pac:

Should be a good final, I hope for Tallow's sake they can make a good game of it. Being in Walsh park I don't know how often they have played there recently but it probably won't make a difference.
    Anyone think the ref (Wadding) was poor? Gave a lot of strange calls and I think DLS can feel a bit hard done by with some of the calls. Gave BG a few frees that weren't IMO.

Anyway, the winners will play either Drom & Inch or Clonoulty/Rossmore (Tipp champions in a Tipp venue) two weeks after the county final in the Munster 1/4 final.

Lot of bad calls by the ref. The fact only 1 card came out of that brawl was ridiculous. It all came aswell from the BG player running across the man taking a quick free. You deserve a smack if youre trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 updownup

was at the game and coming from a neutral looking in ,conditions were poor ,felt micking wadding had a very poor game for the so-called best ref in the county. def a ballgunner man should have been sent off in the first scuffle after 5 min . picked nevin out and sent him off , he prob deserved to go , but not on his own.

seemed to be huge comotion over by the tunnel at half time , ??? anyone see what went on

taught dean towmey had fine game as did jj hutch , who i think bagged 2 goals.

if dls had 15 men they would have won th game , missed few frees in second half that could have nicked it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Be careful there lads that you don't give any credit to the Gunners who it must be noted were missing 2 key defenders. Nevin had to go for what he did. You cannot hit a man through the bars of his helmet with the handle of the hurley and stay on the field. The most disciplined team won, DLS seemed obsessed and if there were guards in the tunnel area, at least one DLS player, (no names) would have been arrested at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 24 updownup

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Be careful there lads that you don't give any credit to the Gunners who it must be noted were missing 2 key defenders. Nevin had to go for what he did. You cannot hit a man through the bars of his helmet with the handle of the hurley and stay on the field. The most disciplined team won, DLS seemed obsessed and if there were guards in the tunnel area, at least one DLS player, (no names) would have been arrested at half time

i think i did say nevin deserved to go but i feel that gunners players should have gone too. just a fair opinion on what i saw.
    alot of silly frees given , and then alot of more serious fouls left go , towmey was rugby tackled near the end out over the line ,u be impressed seeing it in dunedin this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

No he wasn't. Twomey hit the ball and then grabbed Mahony around the neck before falling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Anyone at the Tourin Capaquin game? Junior 2 years ago and now on the cusp of senior, fair play to them

• Advertisement

Deise_Davy wrote: »

Ah it's not that at all DD, fair play to BG and I for one wish them all the best. Was just looking around at the other county championships in Munster and it can be seen that Thurles Sars, Sars from Cork, Newtownshandrum, Toomevara are all out so of the teams left, BG would be the only team left in Munster that have won it before/recently (if memory is correct) so if they can overcome Tallow they'll be in with a shout for Munster I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement