Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oasis split

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

fingerbob wrote: »
    Oasis have produced tons of great stuff since 95. If they were to stay consistent and release albums that had the effect of defeinitely maybe and morning glory again and again they would be without doubt the best band in history, but no band is capable producing albums of that calibre one after the other for that amount of time. Only band that comes close to that is the beatles.
    Dont get me wrong. Liked some of the singles they have released post morning glory but remember them supporting REM at Slane and REM were the better band by far that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

so glad got to see them twice on their final tour,once at slane and the 3 weeks later at benicassim...

OASIS,you have been biblical...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Excellent news.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Posted on the website today:

Dearly beloved, it is with a heavy heart and a sad face that I say this to you this morning.

As of last Friday the 28th August, I have been forced to leave the Manchester rock'n'roll pop group Oasis.

The details are not important and of too great a number to list. But I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable. And the lack of support and understanding from my management and band mates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new.

I would like firstly to offer my apologies to them kids in Paris who'd paid money and waited all day to see us only to be let down AGAIN by the band. Apologies are probably not enough, I know, but I'm afraid it's all I've got.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to say to the good people of V Festival that experienced the same thing. Again, I can only apologise - although I don't know why, it was nothing to do with me. I was match fit and ready to be brilliant. Alas, other people in the group weren't up to it.

In closing I would like to thank all the Oasis fans, all over the world. The last 18 years have been truly, truly amazing (and I hate that word, but today is the one time I'll deem it appropriate). A dream come true. I take with me glorious memories.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have a family and a football team to indulge.

I'll see you somewhere down the road. It's been a ****in' pleasure.

Thanks very much.

Goodbye.

Eighteen years. Thats some going. To be fair to Noel I felt he was always the guy holding it together. Didn't particularly agree with the whole Blur bashing episode over Country Song and the whole beatles thing but credit where credit he is a musicians musician. Always struck me as someone who was very passionate about what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Went to see them at Rock en Seine yesterday was rightly pissed off as missed bloc party and some other stuff to wait to see them....wasn't until 15minutes after their scheduled time (10pm) that they announced they wouldn't be playing...boo hiss...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Glassheart wrote: »
    Terrible shame.:(

Gotta say i love the last two albums.
    I feel that it was on the middle three albums where they really lost their way and earned their reputation amongst many as being uninspired,pub rock etc...

I suspect if Noel gets a taste of a solo career their will be no chance of him ever going back to Oasis...

sadly true, i agree, as seen like his friend, paul weller.

i feel sorry for the other band mates. the drummer chris sharrock (spelling?) has some awful bad luck with the groups he was in and then split.

i am glad i saw them three times (witness - disappointing, marley park- magical my favourite and slane). slane was great, everyone was buzzing and the line up was well, a dream ticket in the sense that the support bands were not afraid to try and upstage the main headline, as seen by the prodigy (looking forward to december). at least when oasis brought in support acts, they were not afraid of this, compared to say U2's Croker gigs (thats simply my opinion, acknolwedging that that was not always true regarding U2 gigs)

oasis were the first ever band i got into. defintely maybe was the first album i ever bought out of my own pocket money (first album ever got, thankfully was not zig and zag but the saw doctor's debut - a classic) i thank oasis for getting me into music and showing what great bands ever existed like the beatles, stone roses, the kinks, the sex pistols, neil young, the jam, thin lizzy and even slade. that was the bands whole point - to try and write the songs that the above mentioned never wrote, to show and remind people who were in a fuzz of happy tripping house and rave music and 1980's muck and cow boy clothes wearing ponces like u2 (i take that back in the sense that joushu tree and the early 1990's stuff was top) that there was a great heritage of music from the past

the band influences many many bands around the world (granted the world might not have thanked them for some bands). they gave an attitude that at that time refreshing. they reminded people like bands like stone roses that you did not need to be a musical god or wear stage costumes to fit in. that you didn't need to be all pouncy, posh or arty to pick up a guitar and sing. they did not buy into all the music industry crap in the sense of being yes men (of course they did play up their hard man image) they were honest enough to say that they wanted all the fame etc and were not ashamed to be successful (thom york anyone?)

u2 wanted to save the world, radiohead ( a great band) wanted to save music. oasis wanted to have a good time, all the time and their first two albums told people that they could come along as well

at least we have the music. i have always tried to see the good side of liam - the rock n roll mayham etc but its gets tried and boring (we all have siblings that no matter what a fight is often on the way - but they were ridiculous airing it all to the world). when criticised about not being "lively" or spectactular in the muse and u2 mode when playing live, both gallaghers always said that they let their music do the talking and let the fans get involved in whatever way they wanted to. pitty liam did not walk the walk on that account. its was sometimes annoying when bands like starsailor and block party (top band) tried to slag them off (very badly too). if either or other bands who joined the bandwagon of slagging off oasis (in fairness much was diserved) had as much talent as oasis (song, attitude, connection with die hard fans and publicity wise) they would be alright. the masterplan, as many has noted, craps on a lot of student angst ridden nonsense that has come out over the past 15 years.

maybe when liam grows up or his wife tries to cop him on they may at least get back on talking terms. i would hope fans would want to see that first. nothing sader than family members truely dispising each other

its more annoying that they split like this considering the crap that they have gone through over the years - some unfair and much self inflicted

music wise, in fairness, the brothers do need space after all these years. they have done some interesting things in the past (eg collaborations with chemical brothers, ian browne, death in vegas)

on a brighter note, maybe bands like kasabian, who have done really really well and are great (imo) will now leave the dove tails and shadow of oasis and reach the top (or save music lol)

well, if this is the last, we may never see the likes of them again. it's been fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

jackncoke wrote: »
    Wow,Ive always hated the Bloc Party, but what a muppet

right, well, for a start, if it was not for bands like oasis or even blur, supergrass etc (take your pick from the 1990's) prats like block party or guitar based indie bands may never have got anywhere near the sucess that enjoy now.

granted. block party comprise of very talent musicians and have got some really horrible sick from the band over the years. they are good, but they have the ability of killing one's enjoyment of music. wonder would he have the balls to have said that whilst in the same room as the band or at any music festivals in the uk?

i would say about bands like block party on headline issue to get use to it, because there would not be a cat in hell's chance these pretenders ever headlining stand alone gigs like slane, knewthworth, wembley (more than once) and many other big stadiums. at least oasis were earn some chart success in the us and many of their gigs sold out. i understand that block party played the v festival in leeds just before radiohead. i also understand that this muppet was more than once DEMANDING the crowd to dance. jesus what does that say about any band. oasis would not have too much problems with that and with minimal effort.

its a bit rich calling them inbreds when the lead singer could be could be slagged off (by idiots by the way) for one or two things about himself

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Sad day really. I hate all this b.s. about everything after the first two albums was sh1te. There are some cracking songs on all albums and there are some average ones too.

Oasis were the last official rock 'n' roll band and Liam the last Rock 'n' Roll star. No other band (and I'm not talking about music) has since carried that feeling of a true rock 'n' roll band. Oasis record sales, tour sales etc etc all speak for themselves. They have a huge following and you either like them or you don't.

I have been a huge follower down through the years but always new this day would come. I always wanted a Noel solo album but after the last album I couldn't wait for the next.

Personally I think Noel is the one getting too big for his boots. He has made friends with all the kind of people he used to hate (Russel Brand). He goes on every TV show he can, comments on everything (whether asked or not), and craves lots of attention. Liam i can imagine is hard to be around at times but he has quietened down a lot. It will affect him more than others. All he could ever do was sing. Where is Mammy Gallagher in all this. Can she not invite them round for sunday dinner and give them a clip around the ear!!

ps They will be back. They all have expensive lifestyles and will need to refill there bank accounts at some stage. I Hope anyway.

darrenh wrote: »
    Sad day really. I hate all this b.s. about everything after the first two albums was sh1te. There are some cracking songs on all albums and there are some average ones too.

Oasis were the last official rock 'n' roll band and Liam the last Rock 'n' Roll star. No other band (and I'm not talking about music) has since carried that feeling of a true rock 'n' roll band. Oasis record sales, tour sales etc etc all speak for themselves. They have a huge following and you either like them or you don't.

I have been a huge follower down through the years but always new this day would come. I always wanted a Noel solo album but after the last album I couldn't wait for the next.

Personally I think Noel is the one getting too big for his boots. He has made friends with all the kind of people he used to hate (Russel Brand). He goes on every TV show he can, comments on everything (whether asked or not), and craves lots of attention. Liam i can imagine is hard to be around at times but he has quietened down a lot. It will affect him more than others. All he could ever do was sing. Where is Mammy Gallagher in all this. Can she not invite them round for sunday dinner and give them a clip around the ear!!

ps They will be back. They all have expensive lifestyles and will need to refill there bank accounts at some stage. I Hope anyway.
    Wouldn't call it BS as such. Anyone who listened to Definitely Maybe and Whats the Story Morning glory would know that Oasis have gone off in a different direction since. Sure they have had some good songs but I think from the third album on they certainly weren't the band of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

sadly true, i agree, as seen like his friend, paul weller.

i feel sorry for the other band mates. the drummer chris sharrock (spelling?) has some awful bad luck with the groups he was in and then split.

i am glad i saw them three times (witness - disappointing, marley park- magical my favourite and slane). slane was great, everyone was buzzing and the line up was well, a dream ticket in the sense that the support bands were not afraid to try and upstage the main headline, as seen by the prodigy (looking forward to december). at least when oasis brought in support acts, they were not afraid of this, compared to say U2's Croker gigs (thats simply my opinion, acknolwedging that that was not always true regarding U2 gigs)

oasis were the first ever band i got into. defintely maybe was the first album i ever bought out of my own pocket money (first album ever got, thankfully was not zig and zag but the saw doctor's debut - a classic) i thank oasis for getting me into music and showing what great bands ever existed like the beatles, stone roses, the kinks, the sex pistols, neil young, the jam, thin lizzy and even slade. that was the bands whole point - to try and write the songs that the above mentioned never wrote, to show and remind people who were in a fuzz of happy tripping house and rave music and 1980's muck and cow boy clothes wearing ponces like u2 (i take that back in the sense that joushu tree and the early 1990's stuff was top) that there was a great heritage of music from the past

the band influences many many bands around the world (granted the world might not have thanked them for some bands). they gave an attitude that at that time refreshing. they reminded people like bands like stone roses that you did not need to be a musical god or wear stage costumes to fit in. that you didn't need to be all pouncy, posh or arty to pick up a guitar and sing. they did not buy into all the music industry crap in the sense of being yes men (of course they did play up their hard man image) they were honest enough to say that they wanted all the fame etc and were not ashamed to be successful (thom york anyone?)

u2 wanted to save the world, radiohead ( a great band) wanted to save music. oasis wanted to have a good time, all the time and their first two albums told people that they could come along as well

at least we have the music. i have always tried to see the good side of liam - the rock n roll mayham etc but its gets tried and boring (we all have siblings that no matter what a fight is often on the way - but they were ridiculous airing it all to the world). when criticised about not being "lively" or spectactular in the muse and u2 mode when playing live, both gallaghers always said that they let their music do the talking and let the fans get involved in whatever way they wanted to. pitty liam did not walk the walk on that account. its was sometimes annoying when bands like starsailor and block party (top band) tried to slag them off (very badly too). if either or other bands who joined the bandwagon of slagging off oasis (in fairness much was diserved) had as much talent as oasis (song, attitude, connection with die hard fans and publicity wise) they would be alright. the masterplan, as many has noted, craps on a lot of student angst ridden nonsense that has come out over the past 15 years.

maybe when liam grows up or his wife tries to cop him on they may at least get back on talking terms. i would hope fans would want to see that first. nothing sader than family members truely dispising each other

its more annoying that they split like this considering the crap that they have gone through over the years - some unfair and much self inflicted

music wise, in fairness, the brothers do need space after all these years. they have done some interesting things in the past (eg collaborations with chemical brothers, ian browne, death in vegas)

on a brighter note, maybe bands like kasabian, who have done really really well and are great (imo) will now leave the dove tails and shadow of oasis and reach the top (or save music lol)

well, if this is the last, we may never see the likes of them again. it's been fun

Nice post and similiar to myself, first band I ever really got into.

I remember their used to be a golden discs in the Crumlin shopping centre and every Friday I would go shopping with the mammy and she would buy me one Oasis cassette.:D I remember I used to get them to play the songs in the shop so I could hear before I bought.:D

Heathen Chemistry was the album that really got me into music though....I remember the summer it came out I got Sargent Peppers and I was blown away.

I suppose a lot of people dont get that and its all too easy to write Oasis off as "sh1t" or having "done nothing since WTSMG" but for a lot of people they were a special band.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I was never the biggest Oasis fan, but that video of Bloc Party announcing them is rather annoying, especially for people who were there just to see Oasis. I'm pretty sure headlining "by default" is as good as they could hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ok, I didnt really take this seriously at first, but looking at Noels comments now, it looks the real deal. Or perhaps hes using extreme shock tactics to get Liam to finally cop on....but then, Noel is 42, he's always wanted to do a solo album, and I can see him appearing on a lot of other peoples albums in the coming years - Ian Brown, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Ocean Colour Scene, Paul Weller etc etc

I've always liked Oasis, first real band I got into and I will always credit them with being the band who got me into learning the guitar in the 90s, them and REM, Radiohead and U2 to a lesser extent. Now, they are not the be-all and end-all for me, I like a lot of different bands from a range of genres, so I am not as upset at this split as I woulda been at the start of this decade for instance, when they had that scrap in Paris. But they STILL release good albums, last one was class, but then I always say that about Oasis albums- even Be Here Now :D

They are all about the songwriting for me, dont really pay attention to the lyrics, and yeah Noel was never gonna be a Hendrix on the guitar, but thats not what Oasis were about....just great well written songs that get inside your head, and of course plenty of attitude.:D

Anyway good luck to them whatever they do, I still think its just a break, albeit one that might last 4 or 5 years....I mean what the **** is Liam gonna do now....go down the pub??:D

Ok, I didnt really take this seriously at first, but looking at Noels comments now, it looks the real deal. Or perhaps hes using extreme shock tactics to get Liam to finally cop on....but then, Noel is 42, he's always wanted to do a solo album, and I can see him appearing on a lot of other peoples albums in the coming years - Ian Brown, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Ocean Colour Scene, Paul Weller etc etc

I've always liked Oasis, first real band I got into and I will always credit them with being the band who got me into learning the guitar in the 90s, them and REM, Radiohead and U2 to a lesser extent. Now, they are not the be-all and end-all for me, I like a lot of different bands from a range of genres, so I am not as upset at this split as I woulda been at the start of this decade for instance, when they had that scrap in Paris. But they STILL release good albums, last one was class, but then I always say that about Oasis albums- even Be Here Now :D

They are all about the songwriting for me, dont really pay attention to the lyrics, and yeah Noel was never gonna be a Hendrix on the guitar, but thats not what Oasis were about....just great well written songs that get inside your head, and of course plenty of attitude.:D

Anyway good luck to them whatever they do, I still think its just a break, albeit one that might last 4 or 5 years....I mean what the **** is Liam gonna do now....go down the pub??:D
    Wonder what Noel was referring to when he referred to abuse towards his family and himself. Statement was read out on Sky news last night. Feel sorry for French fans. And assume not everyone were amused by the Bloc Party even if they were said half in jest. Saw Bloc party at Oxegen two years ago. Good band but I think those remarks lead singer made at french gig will come back to haunt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

fcuking Bloc Party....He gives out sh1t about Oasis and is completely oblivious to the irony of shouting out bullsh1te like "Mercury's in retrograde"?! As said before, theyd be working in Asda if it wasn't for the likes of Blur and Oasis back in the day.

To be honest i think now is the right time (or indeed a few years past the right time) for Noel to go solo. Nothing annoys me more than bands changing line-up every ten minutes, and they really were living off past glories.

Maybe he should do a Johnny Marr and join a real band instead of setting up a "Noel Gallagher and the Gallagher-ettes" operation. Or maybe hed be better just going solo with backing musicians. I dunno, but all ill say is that while some of their stuff was pinched, hackneyed, trite and just sh1te, the good stuff really was the soundtrack of my youth, and im sure the youth of millions of others, and a sh1tload of their songs will last a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

coyle wrote: »
    fcuking Bloc Party....He gives out sh1t about Oasis and is completely oblivious to the irony of shouting out bullsh1te like "Mercury's in retrograde"?! As said before, theyd be working in Asda if it wasn't for the likes of Blur and Oasis back in the day.

To be honest i think now is the right time (or indeed a few years past the right time) for Noel to go solo. Nothing annoys me more than bands changing line-up every ten minutes, and they really were living off past glories.

Maybe he should do a Johnny Marr and join a real band instead of setting up a "Noel Gallagher and the Gallagher-ettes" operation. Or maybe hed be better just going solo with backing musicians. I dunno, but all ill say is that while some of their stuff was pinched, hackneyed, trite and just sh1te, the good stuff really was the soundtrack of my youth, and im sure the youth of millions of others, and a sh1tload of their songs will last a long, long time.

While im a big Oasis fan, i find someone making fun of another band's lyrics while making Oasis out to be lyrical masters, fairly amusing. Lets be honest, while their songs were iconically melodic, the lyrics could hardly be made out to be some sort of groundbreaking acheivments. "Mercurys in retrograde" dosent sound that bad when you have songs about having cousins in the oven, as classic a song as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

?? Explain ??

The Gallaghers have split up at least once in the past, and have numerous bust ups. I have no doubt they will be back again as Oasis given time.

Unlike the American bust up, its not getting much mainstream coverage because no-one believes it will be permanent.

And Bloc Party are still assholes and if I get banned for saying it again, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

The Gallaghers have split up at least once in the past, and have numerous bust ups. I have no doubt they will be back again as Oasis given time.

Unlike the American bust up, its not getting much mainstream coverage because no-one believes it will be permanent.

And Bloc Party are still assholes and if I get banned for saying it again, so be it.

Every paper seems to be carrying it, I even read it on The Huffington Post yesterday, Sky News, Euronews all carried it. It falls short of the 96 bust up but it's been big in it's own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Good riddance I say. And whats this doing in the Alternative/Indie forum anyway? Oasis are anything but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Steve01 wrote: »
    Good riddance I say. And whats this doing in the Alternative/Indie forum anyway? Oasis are anything but.

They were signed to Creation records.An independent label.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Congratulations you're banned.

No more of this guy, thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Steve01 wrote: »

As pointed out they are on Creation Recs. And i'm guessing there is a thread in the general music forum about this too.

lordgoat wrote: »
    As pointed out they are on Creation Recs. And i'm guessing there is a thread in the general music forum about this too.
    Yes Creation has always been an independent label. Regardless of whether Oasis are mainstream, their roots were in Independent/alternative music.

Corholio wrote: »
    making Oasis out to be lyrical masters

I must have missed that bit! Im not a huge Oasis fan by any means, and I am well aware that 90 percent of their lyrics are garbage, but fcuk me, the songs make up for it most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meh, my 16-year-old self would have been upset, but Oasis haven't done anything relevant in the last decade. Never was Quoasis so accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

i would say about bands like block party on headline issue to get use to it, because there would not be a cat in hell's chance these pretenders ever headlining stand alone gigs like slane, knewthworth, wembley (more than once) and many other big stadiums. at least oasis were earn some chart success in the us and many of their gigs sold out. i understand that block party played the v festival in leeds just before radiohead. i also understand that this muppet was more than once DEMANDING the crowd to dance. jesus what does that say about any band. oasis would not have too much problems with that and with minimal effort.

its a bit rich calling them inbreds when the lead singer could be could be slagged off (by idiots by the way) for one or two things about himself

Totally agree. The lead singer is a tool. Good enough music. But nothing in comparison to OASIS. Nowhere near their callibre. Also, they'll NEVER emulate Oasis' success. They can only dream of that sort of success.

Anyone see them at Oxegen?? He's some class of a plonker...."thank you guys, this is our last gig in the UK" - EHHHHHH HELLLOOOOO!!!!!!! Fuppin idiot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

Wonder what Noel was referring to when he referred to abuse towards his family and himself. Statement was read out on Sky news last night. Feel sorry for French fans. And assume not everyone were amused by the Bloc Party even if they were said half in jest. Saw Bloc party at Oxegen two years ago. Good band but I think those remarks lead singer made at french gig will come back to haunt them.

I read in one of the papers that Liam was throwing abuse at Noel's girlfriend Sara. Which is a fair enough, like Liam is always throwing his weight around. Then smashing his Gibson, seriously, I'd be well friggin pissed if someone smashed my Gibson...if I was lucky enough to have one :cool: haha.

Maybe this will teach Liam a lesson. I know Oasis never would have been Oasis without both Liam and Noel. But Noel's the genius behind the wheel. Noel's the backbone of it all. Really looking forward to him going solo and rockin out some more classics, with Liam stuck doing whatever it is he does!

mspacman wrote: »
    I read in one of the papers that Liam was throwing abuse at Noel's girlfriend Sara. Which is a fair enough, like Liam is always throwing his weight around. Then smashing his Gibson, seriously, I'd be well friggin pissed if someone smashed my Gibson...if I was lucky enough to have one :cool: haha.

Maybe this will teach Liam a lesson. I know Oasis never would have been Oasis without both Liam and Noel. But Noel's the genius behind the wheel. Noel's the backbone of it all. Really looking forward to him going solo and rockin out some more classics, with Liam stuck doing whatever it is he does!
    Yes the story seems to be that Liam smashed Noels guitar. They had been touring seperately on different buses as well so obviously wasn't going well between them.
    Creation Boss, Alan McGee, said in Mail On sunday yesterday "I think this is pretty major. Noel is a proud person, he wont go back on it"

yeah Liam is definitely the Garfunkel of that relationship, though i fcuking love his voice on the early stuff, and Songbird's alright.

• Advertisement

This from yesterdays Mail on Sunday
    BY OASIS BIOGRAPHER PAOLO HEWITT

So it's over: The partnership between brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher, which was one of the most acrimonious but creative in rock music history, has finally fractured.

From Oasis's beginnings in the early Nineties, they suffered a titanic clash of egos.

Noel believed his brilliant songs were building their global fan base. Liam was sure it was his cult laddish appeal that brought success.

And even now, 15 years after the first album Definitely Maybe, they are still arguing about it.

So, where did it all go wrong? Well, as early as 1997, the cracks were starting to show.

The sense of adventure and fun, the freshness, the sense of wonder at the travel, the fans, the fame, the money and the accolades had gone.

Oasis had already been around the world and no longer travelled light. They couldn't move without 64 trucks of kit and played to tens of thousands of fans nightly. They made the mistake of becoming a brand, not a band.

As they did so, their fan base changed. Oasis gigs were filled with lads pretending to be Liam. Ultimately, they outnumbered those who were there just for the music.

And the music suffered. Noel, the songwriting genius, had written his first material in a council house in North-West England while dreaming of a big house, a Rolls-Royce and a blonde wife. Once he'd acquired all three, he started to wonder what he should write about next.

As their biographer and someone who has accompanied Oasis on several tours, I honestly wish that they had split up ten years ago or more. But artistic integrity clashed with commerce and they kept going.

Oasis became a formula, albeit a successful one, and Noel was writing by numbers, but his songs lacked the intensity of those from the early days.

I'm sad they've split but I think it is a good thing. Noel and Liam will make amazing solo music and parting will enable each to recapture their creativity.

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.ie/news/article-1209963/Fury-Oasis-leave-fans-pocket-splitting-definitely-maybe.html#ixzz0SgmLgd9i

Advertisement