Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Size Gas Bottles.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

zdan1916 wrote: »
    Hi dowtchaboy, if you still have a spare half as bottle going would love it, could pick-up any time suits you. cheers dan

Sorry Dan - they are gone. I'll keep an eye out when next at the recycling in Raffeen - they often turn up there (in the cage with all the gas bottles - some of them full!)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

Also look out for any blue propane half size bottles as you can swap the at the depots for yellow ones like I did! Now I've got three!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wattyyachtie

Small (5kg) cylinders available in the Hardware (Marine Suppliers) on Howth Pier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 guitard

Anyone know of a supplier of half size gas bottles in or close to Mayo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

I have two bottles in my van, both are yellow and roughly half the size of normal bottles. Is it a lot cheaper in France to get them filled? Plenty of outlets? Going there in May and reckon i've enough in the tank to do me until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭db

I have two bottles in my van, both are yellow and roughly half the size of normal bottles. Is it a lot cheaper in France to get them filled? Plenty of outlets? Going there in May and reckon i've enough in the tank to do me until then.

If your bottles are the 5KG Butane bottles then you will probably not be able to get them filled abroad.

db wrote: »
    If your bottles are the 5KG Butane bottles then you will probably not be able to get them filled abroad.

Ok, must have a closer look at the bottles and see what i'm dealing with. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

guitard wrote: »
    Anyone know of a supplier of half size gas bottles in or close to Mayo?

I was quoted €80 for a new filled cylinder in athlone, just found the 6kg gaslow refillable ones for €108 which make more sense so invest in. Thought it was free delivery too but its free delivery over €100+VAT http://www.gasproducts.ie/acatalog/Gaslow_6kg_Refillable_Cylinder_with_Level_Gauge.html Just enquired to see if they have a direct fill adapter for ireland

moodrater wrote: »
    I was quoted €80 for a new filled cylinder in athlone, just found the 6kg gaslow refillable ones for €108 which make more sense so invest in. Thought it was free delivery too but its free delivery over €100+VAT http://www.gasproducts.ie/acatalog/Gaslow_6kg_Refillable_Cylinder_with_Level_Gauge.html Just enquired to see if they have a direct fill adapter for ireland

:eek: Over 100 euro for a gas bottle??? Is this right?? Other people were quoting prices in or around the 20-30 mark earlier in the thread. Am I missing something? My bottles look like the ones in the link but can't understand how they could be so much more expensive than a normal-sized bottle.

Just got on to the local Forge Hill Gas Centre in Cork, they will refill a half bottle with propane for €21.50.

• Advertisement

:eek: Over 100 euro for a gas bottle??? Is this right?? Other people were quoting prices in or around the 20-30 mark earlier in the thread. Am I missing something? My bottles look like the ones in the link but can't understand how they could be so much more expensive than a normal-sized bottle.

€20-€30 is for a refill and don't expect to get that price on achill island or cahersiveen even if you can find a bottle.

€108 euro is for a new empty refillable gas bottle with integrated safety valve that cuts off filling at 80% and integrated level gauge, you fill it yourself at a car lpg point which works out at 70c - 1.20c per liter depending on where you buy - cheaper than that everywhere else in europe.

To put that in perspective a large campingaz refill (907) costs about €80 new and refills works out €4-€6 per liter of gas depending on what robber you buy it from.

The half size bottle costs minimum €50 new if you don't have an empty - I was quoted €80 - and works out at €1.90 per liter to €2.70 per liter at the refill prices mentioned above.

small absorption fridge - 0.5l/day
    2 burner hob 0.4l/hour
    smev oven 0.14l/hour
    truma water heater 0.22l/hour
    small trumatic heater up to 0.5l/hour

Just got on to the local Forge Hill Gas Centre in Cork, they will refill a half bottle with propane for €21.50.

Used them before they refill for the shops €21.50 works out at €1.82/liter which is good if you live near there, refillable would be €9.50 - €14 to refill yourself.

moodrater wrote: »
    €20-€30 is for a refill and don't expect to get that price on achill island or cahersiveen even if you can find a bottle.

€108 euro is for a new empty refillable gas bottle with integrated safety valve that cuts off filling at 80% and integrated level gauge, you fill it yourself at a car lpg point which works out at 70c - 1.20c per liter depending on where you buy - cheaper than that everywhere else in europe.

To put that in perspective a large campingaz refill (907) costs about €80 new and refills works out €4-€6 per liter of gas depending on what robber you buy it from.

The half size bottle costs minimum €50 new if you don't have an empty - I was quoted €80 - and works out at €1.90 per liter to €2.70 per liter at the refill prices mentioned above.

small absorption fridge - 0.5l/day
    2 burner hob 0.4l/hour
    smev oven 0.14l/hour
    truma water heater 0.22l/hour
    small trumatic heater up to 0.5l/hour

Used them before they refill for the shops €21.50 works out at €1.82/liter which is good if you live near there, refillable would be €9.50 - €14 to refill yourself.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I can see how the refillable would be useful for heavy gas users but we're not so will stick with the half bottles for now. Filling at LPG at any petrol station is a nice advantage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

You can get them in kenny's petrol station in Potumna, it's just on the edge of town near the bridge.

Spoke to a calor delivery fella having his lunch in our local petrol station, he said correct charge for 4.5kg butane is about €18 and bottle charge is something like €33.95 so the guy in athlone I was speaking to was pocketing nearly €30 grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

I also had one of the German / European 5kg bottles in my van, and will be looking to get something similarly sized to replace it with. I went to the gas depot out in Tallaght and they gave me a 4.5kg blue butane(?) bottle, but it sounds like they're not very common either.

Is there anywhere that definitely still refills small bottles with odd adaptors for a reasonable price ?

If I was to get a new regulator anyway, which one would be more common for this half size? Is it something like this push on adaptor as mentioned somewhere in this thread?
    http://www.outdoorbits.com/gaslow-jumbo-adaptor-1671-p-988.html

Is that for propane too?
    Also, does anyone carry two ? (In case of emergencies - or if you didn't want to wait until you ran out to refill)

Does anyone use camping gaz instead (this seems comparitively expensive)

If i get a standard bottle to exchange for the mini-one, is there anywhere in Dublin that will definitely do that?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I have a half size 6kg refrigerant bottle does anyone know if I can get it filled with propane gas instead to use it in my caravan as I need a spare.
    It is definitely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

holyhutzpa wrote: »
    I also had one of the German / European 5kg bottles in my van, and will be looking to get something similarly sized to replace it with. I went to the gas depot out in Tallaght and they gave me a 4.5kg blue butane(?) bottle, but it sounds like they're not very common either.

Is there anywhere that definitely still refills small bottles with odd adaptors for a reasonable price ?

If I was to get a new regulator anyway, which one would be more common for this half size? Is it something like this push on adaptor as mentioned somewhere in this thread?
    http://www.outdoorbits.com/gaslow-jumbo-adaptor-1671-p-988.html

Is that for propane too?
    Also, does anyone carry two ? (In case of emergencies - or if you didn't want to wait until you ran out to refill)

Does anyone use camping gaz instead (this seems comparitively expensive)

If i get a standard bottle to exchange for the mini-one, is there anywhere in Dublin that will definitely do that?

Thanks in advance!

If you still need to get it filled bring it to calor in Longmile Road they used to exchange them for new ones for about 20euro.
    The autogas stations have been told NOT to fill any cylinders by Flogas even authorised refillable ones. They still want to get you at the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The Gas Works, Tralee have a great selection, and will fill a half bottle for ya. Had to leave a friends bottle in, and will collect next week. Not ideal if you are in a hurry! Will let y'all know what it costs when I collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ed9

Still get the small bottles in Navan

Advertisement