Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Skibbereen

Options
  • 19-04-2011 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi All

I'm heading down to Skibbereen in a few days. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know if there is a tackle shop in town that might sell bait and also if they know any decent spots for a bit of pollock/shore fishing?

Many Thanks
    Paulie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Best bet for bait is to stop on the way at the Halway Tackle shop before Inishannon.There is a tackle shop in Skibb but they dont stock bait.Best places to try for fishing off the rocks would be around Baltiimore/Trafasca.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

just a quick spelling edit on the above post.

the shop is called Halfway and is situated in a small village Halfway between bandon and cork.

the tiny fishing shop in Skibb may well be closed as might Clontackle in Clonakilty.

all phone numbers are in the thread about fishing shops that used to be a sticky :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Sorry for typo:mad:.Log on to SAI website for maps info etc regarding West Cork areas for fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

thanks everyone really appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

This might be a bit late but I used to do alot of spear fishing around skib.If you head to aplace called tragumna theres a a woolen mills near there.When you get to the main beach theres a small cove to the left of the Island and walk around the cliff face there.It gets deep fast 30-40ft of water with loads of gullys with sandy bottoms.Great of pollock and rass .Iv met bass there and 3 years ago I met a massive trigger fish.Best of luck

• Advertisement

+1 for the rocks off the left of Tragumna. Haven't been for a good few years but used to catch Mackerel, Pollack and even Trout once off there.

Advertisement