Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pub Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

kcimd wrote: »
    kavanaghs(the gravediggers) at the back of glasnevin cemetery. the bar has never changed,no radio,no tv,no music,old wooden tables and benches to sit on. beautiful Guinness,great staff,a place to go to talk and have the craic. small green field outside to bring your drink out and chill out on summer nights. brilliant pub

Agreed it a great pub...nearly as good as the beggars bush in ballsbridge!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Agreed it a great pub...nearly as good as the beggars bush in ballsbridge!

Brgds
    Johnny

never been,must suss it out sometime

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

kcimd wrote: »
    kavanaghs(the gravediggers) at the back of glasnevin cemetery. the bar has never changed,no radio,no tv,no music,old wooden tables and benches to sit on. beautiful Guinness,great staff,a place to go to talk and have the craic. small green field outside to bring your drink out and chill out on summer nights. brilliant pub

Coming from a former bartender I don't often say this, but the staff there are w*****s. Met some friends there last summer, they were all drinking pints from the pub out in the field but since there was no craft for sale I grabbed a few in Sweeney's around the corner. The bar staff then tried to tell me I could only drink in the field if I bought stuff from their pub, even though it's a public place. I told them this and my mate pointed out that they're being risky letting people drink pints here at all as they're not insured for that anyway. I then pointed out the groups of lads all drinking cans of Bulmers and asked why he wasn't moving them along. He gave up after this but then came back a while later and accused us of doing drugs and threatened to phone the cops. The Gardai did a drive-by a while later but completely ignored everyone.

All that over a bottle of Galway Hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

irish_goat wrote: »
    Coming from a former bartender I don't often say this, but the staff there are w*****s. Met some friends there last summer, they were all drinking pints from the pub out in the field but since there was no craft for sale I grabbed a few in Sweeney's around the corner. The bar staff then tried to tell me I could only drink in the field if I bought stuff from their pub, even though it's a public place. I told them this and my mate pointed out that they're being risky letting people drink pints here at all as they're not insured for that anyway. I then pointed out the groups of lads all drinking cans of Bulmers and asked why he wasn't moving them along. He gave up after this but then came back a while later and accused us of doing drugs and threatened to phone the cops. The Gardai did a drive-by a while later but completely ignored everyone.

well I've never had an issue so i can only speak from my own experience there. I've only drank their beer though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Coming from a former bartender I don't often say this, but the staff there are w*****s.

tbh I havent been in there in years but every time Ive gone I've left with the impression that the bar staff are basically c**ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭roganjosh

Anyone recommend any decent pubs in Westport? Heading down there this weekend. Lookin for craft beers but not essential.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've not been, but I hear good things about The Porter House in Westport (unaffiliated with The Porterhouse chain).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

roganjosh wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any decent pubs in Westport? Heading down there this weekend. Lookin for craft beers but not essential.

Matt Molloy's & The Jester would be the main spots.
    Plenty of options, a lot of decent boozers.

Good craic to be had in Westport, good athmosphere always :)

Thanks BeerNut, i'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

roganjosh wrote: »

Last time I was down I had a great evening/night in a pub called Cosy Joes.. Its been a few years mind but I think its still there. No idea if they would have any craft but id be surprised if any decent pub at this stage should be stocking something. From what i recall there seems to be many decent boozers on Bridge St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Slattsy wrote: »
    Matt Molloy's & The Jester would be the main spots.
    Plenty of options, a lot of decent boozers.

Good craic to be had in Westport, good athmosphere always :)

Steer well clear of Matt Molloy's if you don't like crowds; it always has a crowd day and night time, few of whom ever seem to be drinking. Hoban's at the Octagon is good for trad sessons; their sessions tend to be more ad hoc than Molloy's in that they are pretty much show up and away they go.

A fair few pubs in the town carry West Mayo, one of two local brewers suppling the town. They have three beers Toby's carries their porter which is served on tap unchilled, or at least it was the last time I was there :)

Steer well clear of Matt Molloy's if you don't like crowds; it always has a crowd day and night time, few of whom ever seem to be drinking. Hoban's at the Octagon is good for trad sessons; their sessions tend to be more ad hoc than Molloy's in that they are pretty much show up and away they go.

A fair few pubs in the town carry West Mayo, one of two local brewers suppling the town. They have three beers Toby's carries their porter which is served on tap unchilled, or at least it was the last time I was there :)

That sounds great, I'll definitely be tracking that down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

In Smyths of Ranelagh right now, had a Heineken but then noticed they have plenty of different choices ..so ordered one of these and it's lovely. But the price stings a bit.

For those of us raised on Carlsberg and Heineken like me, I'm just going to have to pay more to get a better taste when I go out? The price feels like Temple Bar which I'm not in.

Just ordered another....

FFF97F99-BA73-4449-9AA0-69CCA3B67078_zpsxvmyr6nh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

€3.60 a pint for Paulaner in O'Reillys Sub lounge off Tara Street

Why am I here? That's some difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

You should try an oharas ipa or a galway hooker while your there

I'm a bit wary about mixing booze but cheers for the tips!

Edit: I was on the Heineken so what's my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Paulaner is 5.5% so more ingredients are likely to have gone into it, and higher duty etc.

Your carlsberg & heineken would typically be 4.3% in pubs here. So the paulaner is 28% higher. So if your €5.90 paulaner was diluted down to 4.3% a pint would have been €4.61. I have heard it said heineken brew to a higher % and just dilute down to 4.3%.

Some of these beers come in oversized glasses with a line showing where the pint actually is, so you typically get a proper full pint or more, while your standard heineken & carlsberg in a normal glass is usually a bit under.

Also go easy on it, a small increase in % can have a much greater effect than you might think. If you drank at the same rate as usual I would expect your blood alcohol level to be more than simply 28% higher than usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

gebbel wrote: »
    Why am I here? That's some difference

I frequently pay extra for pints simply not to be in O'Reilly's. For me price isn't the most important factor and there are much better options in town. Just look at Sweetmans next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I frequently pay extra for pints simply not to be in O'Reilly's. For me price isn't the most important factor and there are much better options in town. Just look at Sweetmans next door.
    Great for nipping into at 5.30 on a Saturday for a couple of budget, quality swifty's before I hit the bus to the Wild Wesht

I do have a fondness for Sweetman's Pale Ale though in all fairness

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I have heard it said heineken brew to a higher % and just dilute down to 4.3%.

All the big breweries do that, saves space in the fermentation and conditioning chambers if you can brew an 8%+ beer/cider and then just dilute it back down before packaging. Can't honestly say whether it ultimately has an effect on the end product, but I always find it funny when breweries like Diageo and Bulmers talk about "traditional brewing processes".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

but I always find it funny when breweries like Diageo and Bulmers talk about "traditional brewing processes".

Diageo have been doing it since the 80's, "traditional brewing processes" is the same as how long is a piece of string

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Does anybody know when or why the Old Boro in Swords closed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

KJ wrote: »
    Does anybody know when or why the Old Boro in Swords closed down?

Quick google there says it's closed for renovations, JD Wetherspoon own it now.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swordsdublin.net%2Fold_boro_pub.html&ei=ONxoVODUHuPlsATokIGIAw&usg=AFQjCNERLv_s71aydf0YWUNcMmvXCEu8BQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I’m arriving into Dublin this Saturday evening. Meeting up with my brother (and our respective OHs) for a drink around 6.30 and we’ve booked a restaurant from 7.30 on South William Street.
    So my question is, where are good spots to go for a drink (or two, time permitting) before and after. Myself and my OH are into craft beer, but my brother and his OH aren’t.
    I was thinking Sweetman’s before, as I’ve heard it’s not too expensive. Do they sell macros? Can anyone recommend a place after 9pm near S. William Street that won’t be too wedged (Mission Impossible probably on the last Saturday night before Christmas!) that does decent beer? Doesn’t have to be a craft place, but ideally would have, as a minimum, some O’Hara’s or similar.

Lucena wrote: »
    I’m arriving into Dublin this Saturday evening. Meeting up with my brother (and our respective OHs) for a drink around 6.30 and we’ve booked a restaurant from 7.30 on South William Street.
    So my question is, where are good spots to go for a drink (or two, time permitting) before and after. Myself and my OH are into craft beer, but my brother and his OH aren’t.
    I was thinking Sweetman’s before, as I’ve heard it’s not too expensive. Do they sell macros? Can anyone recommend a place after 9pm near S. William Street that won’t be too wedged (Mission Impossible probably on the last Saturday night before Christmas!) that does decent beer? Doesn’t have to be a craft place, but ideally would have, as a minimum, some O’Hara’s or similar.

Sweetman's do macro and Porterhouse Central is round the corner and they sell bottles of macro stuff as well but their own range has something to satisfy everyone, imo. Bull and Castle is up the round at Christchurch and does lots of craft plus some macro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sweetman's do macro and Porterhouse Central is round the corner and they sell bottles of macro stuff as well but their own range has something to satisfy everyone, imo. Bull and Castle is up the round at Christchurch and does lots of craft plus some macro too.

Also O'Neills of Suffolk Street, the Bank on College Green and if you want to dare Temple Bar, you could try the Palace or the Norseman.

Truth be known, most pubs in town will do some beer which will be approaching craft, even if it's a few token bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you don't have the BeoirFinder app, or want a bigger view, the online version is here.

Just change the filter to pubs (pint glass). The only problem is the online version doesn't give you as much info as the app, only the name of the venue.

If you want somewhere that's not too busy, Brewery Lane above the Merchant's arch tends to have plenty of space and serves both craft and macro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Hope this is an appropriate thread for this. Anyone know any good watering holes in Wexford town that stock a good selection of craft ales?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Simon Lambert on Main Street should fit the bill. They have their own brewery going in soon too.

Advertisement