Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning to Hardwaversand

• 29-06-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently built my PC, here are the specs:

Cooler Master HAF X
    LEPA Maxbron B1000M
    i7 4770k
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    ASUS HD 7850 in Crossfire
    ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston SSD NOW 30GB
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1600

Whenever I plug my pc in circuit breaker trips. Sometimes it lasts for so many hours then it trips my breaker. Thinking something may be wrong with my build, I took my PSU out and put a pin between the green and black wires for a no load test and it immediately trips my breaker.

I emailed LEPA and they said to send it back to hardwaversand. I emailed them and awaiting a reply. Will they replace it from me? How much will shipping be to them? Should I just send them the psu with the reciept?

PS: I Paid without making an account

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rule 1 of PCMR, your PSU is the MOST important part.
    Summary

With the Maxbron 1kW unit, Lepa attempted to woo the budget crowd with a semi-modular unit that brought more than a little power to the table. However, the performance I saw here amounts to a staggering misstep. The B1000M is a mediocre performer that does a couple things right but many things wrong. There's potential here, yes, but if I were Lepa, I would be over at the Yuelin factory cracking the whip big time over this one.

From a quick look this seems to be a strange budget PSU. Not cheap though by any means going by the current price.

Your RMA is with HWVS, you need to contact their support and they'll instruct you how to send it back. Chances are it will cost a good €15+ to post it back. Sh1tty reality with buying online. Dont just post it unsolicited or theres a good chance it'll just get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try to get your money back for it and pull up a decent 600w or 650w PSU

1kW is 2 times what that PC will draw.

Fairly sure they will give you a link to print off a return ticket with UPS

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mazink0204

ED E wrote: »
    Rule 1 of PCMR, your PSU is the MOST important part.

From a quick look this seems to be a strange budget PSU. Not cheap though by any means going by the current price.

Your RMA is with HWVS, you need to contact their support and they'll instruct you how to send it back. Chances are it will cost a good €15+ to post it back. Sh1tty reality with buying online. Dont just post it unsolicited or theres a good chance it'll just get lost.

I will most probably going 280x or 290x crossfire soon or MAYBE single 970, for that I would need a minimum of 750. But I will try to get 850. Also., why would the PSU trip the breaker? Is it simply just faulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most likely just a shoddy PSU. Never skimp on the power supply - always buy a good quality brand.

Buying cheap is a false economy, you're better off with a 5-600w quality brand than a budget 1000w.

From reviews, it doesn't seem to be a particularly good power supply. Also, 7850 in crossfire would not demand more than a quality 550w unit.

also if you built it recently, 7850 crossfire is a bizarre choice! Two year old GPU's....

A single 970 wouldn't need more than a quality 400w. Sort of hard to gauge what your actual requirements are, you're going from a single 970 to 290X crossfire in one sentence. Pretty much night and day.

Most likely just a shoddy PSU. Never skimp on the power supply - always buy a good quality brand.

Buying cheap is a false economy, you're better off with a 5-600w quality brand than a budget 1000w.

From reviews, it doesn't seem to be a particularly good power supply. Also, 7850 in crossfire would not demand more than a quality 550w unit.

also if you built it recently, 7850 crossfire is a bizarre choice! Two year old GPU's....

A single 970 wouldn't need more than a quality 400w. Sort of hard to gauge what your actual requirements are, you're going from a single 970 to 290X crossfire in one sentence. Pretty much night and day.

I'll most like be doing 280x crossfire. I went with 7850s as they are the same as R9 265/270 in crossfire

• Advertisement

Why the obsession with crossfire?

It's always better to get a strong single card. Particularly with AMD, to be honest, AMD are absolutely crap at updating their crossfire profiles.

I would consider SLI viable, but I would never recommend crossfire unless you were getting a fantastic bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I had my first RMA with hardwareversand and its my last. Emails and phone calls no help. The simple procedure of going through the complaint in your profile and getting a UPS shipping label never worked for me. Ended up paying An Post €63 to ship back a monitor and got refunded the price of it excluding the orginal shipping fee and the receipt which i included from An Post. Let me know how you get on with your RMA because i hit a brick wall. And if it involves ringing and getting a label by mail that didn't work either the guy sent his email as an attachment and the mail with the label which wasn't visible and i just gave up on them then.

Why the obsession with crossfire?

It's always better to get a strong single card. Particularly with AMD, to be honest, AMD are absolutely crap at updating their crossfire profiles.

I would consider SLI viable, but I would never recommend crossfire unless you were getting a fantastic bargain.

As with crossfire, you can pic up a 280x for around 120 on ebay,

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I had my first RMA with hardwareversand and its my last. Emails and phone calls no help. The simple procedure of going through the complaint in your profile and getting a UPS shipping label never worked for me. Ended up paying An Post €63 to ship back a monitor and got refunded the price of it excluding the orginal shipping fee and the receipt which i included from An Post. Let me know how you get on with your RMA because i hit a brick wall. And if it involves ringing and getting a label by mail that didn't work either the guy sent his email as an attachment and the mail with the label which wasn't visible and i just gave up on them then.

Damn that's inconvenient. I emailed them yesterday now I'm awaiting a reply.

mazink0204 wrote: »
    As with crossfire, you can pic up a 280x for around 120 on ebay,

Where? I've never seen a 280X go for anything near that price.

• Advertisement

Where? I've never seen a 280X go for anything near that price.

They almost always sell for that price on auction

Damn that's inconvenient. I emailed them yesterday now I'm awaiting a reply.

My emails sent 2 weeks back accompanied with a sloppy German translation with both never got a reply. Better make the dreaded phone call or calls i had to make. And if someone shouts something down the line like he did to me shout back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

I think I'll set up a HWVS calling service to utilize my fluent German.

€5 euro per successful return or alternatively I'll also accept donated (working) components :pac:.

MagTuired wrote: »
    I think I'll set up a HWVS calling service to utilize my fluent German.

€5 euro per successful return or alternatively I'll also accept donated (working) components :pac:.

How can I make use of this service? :D

Also, when I went to look for the free label for posting it said to login and I dont have an account

Also, when I went to look for the free label for posting it said to login and I dont have an account

Ya you have an option in Your Profile to hit the Complaint button and go through the procedure of requesting a return and the elusive UPS shipping label maybe create really can't help ya there.

Ya you have an option in Your Profile to hit the Complaint button and go through the procedure of requesting a return and the elusive UPS shipping label maybe create really can't help ya there.

Ive tried calling them twice today. First time they say call back in 5 minutes. Then second time they said email and when I explained to them that I have already emailed they hung up on me, absolutely ridiculous.

Christ. I'm so glad I didn't order with these lads. That's a joke. Value or not, I have the peace of mind that if one of my components breaks I can walk into a brick and mortar shop, plonk it on the desk and if necessary exchange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagTuired wrote: »
    Christ. I'm so glad I didn't order with these lads. That's a joke. Value or not, I have the peace of mind that if one of my components breaks I can walk into a brick and mortar shop, plonk it on the desk and if necessary exchange it.

What shop do you have local that doesn't sell absolute garbage components at outragous prices?

I havn't gone near HWS after my first purchase was an RMA nightmare. More then happy to pay a few euro more to amazon or overclockers knowing I'll get top support and after sales service.

TheDoc wrote: »
    What shop do you have local that doesn't sell absolute garbage components at outragous prices?

I havn't gone near HWS after my first purchase was an RMA nightmare. More then happy to pay a few euro more to amazon or overclockers knowing I'll get top support and after sales service.
    My sentiments exactly i was pulled in before Christmas buying a new build my R9 290 was €70 cheaper than anything from the UK. But the absolute contempt your treated with by this company is unforgivable. Maybe a forewarning to any new or existing Hardwareversand customers. Pay a small premium and buy from the UK.

• Advertisement

There's a place in Cork on Princes Street called 'PC Maestro' - a bunch of Polish lads run it. They're dead sound and very, very, very helpful and patient.

Surprisingly good value. They went through my component list with me over and over, giving advice, offering alternatives until I got a build together that I'm happy with (I changed my mind...a LOT). Since I'm also getting all the parts through them they're throwing in a headset worth around €50.

They gave me their quote for the price for the whole lot, then checked up the UK option on PC Parts Picker for the list and it was pretty much spot on the mark. They also compared it to another one of the big websites - not entirely sure which one.

The odd time they even let you pay for installments - heard a guy bought a monitor like that.

Plus, CEX is literally just down the road. Handy out.

But back to the topic: this is my first build and I was originally going to go with HWVS but decided against it after hearing all these horror stories. I have native level German but I still don't feel like dealing with what seems like a shower of incompetent arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nevermind the topic, you have found an Irish based store that can price match the biggest in the UK, and are irish based.

Would be happy to know more details as I'd LOVE to support an irish based business. The amount of times I've toyed with the idea of just staring my own PC parts type business.

Nevermind the topic, you have found an Irish based store that can price match the biggest in the UK, and are irish based.

Would be happy to know more details as I'd LOVE to support an irish based business. The amount of times I've toyed with the idea of just staring my own PC parts type business.

I don't know if they have a website - but they have a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pcmaestro

If you were ever in Cork it'd be worth going into the shop and see what they stock in person. They also order in bits and bobs they don't have. The owner Robert is very enthusiastic about this kinda stuff.

He was so sure that my build would look better with some Averxir Sabranco White RAM (built for the Asus Sabertooth Sabranco board) that he offered to substitute it for the cheaper RAM I had picked with no extra costs.

Now I can only say from my build (that I've just ordered) the prices were on par with what I would have paid for online retailers. I can't say if the shop's prices are as competitive across the board, but they seem pretty decent to my untrained eye. HWVS is cheaper I reckon, but then again you get the security of knowing you can talk face to face.

As a matter of fact, I'd recommend doing that, PC Maestro are small shop so they have trouble keeping up with their e-mails, but if ye pop in or ring they're always happy to help.

That said, somebody will probably come along and relate an awful experience of the shop or some reason that it's rubbish. But it works the same with the online retailers I guess, some swear by HWVS' prices, others wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's no shop with 100% positive experiences for everyone Mag :pac: I'll probably give them a jingle when it comes to new parts, I'd be happy to support them

There's no shop with 100% positive experiences for everyone Mag :pac: I'll probably give them a jingle when it comes to new parts, I'd be happy to support them

Ah yeah, that's what I meant, pretty much. It's even like that with individual products reviews no matter what you're buying.

Some of the best cars I'd driven had tons of posts online swearing they were rubbish and would explode on me within the first few feet outside the dealership - but in the end it took acts of God to bring them down (RIP Renault Clio, lost in the Cork Floods).

Back on topic:

How does it work when you ring for these RMA procedures, do you always have to be the account holder or could one ring for a friend, etc.?

Okay so I managed to file a complaint through this page https:// www. hardwareversand .de/en/cmIndex.jsp using "complaint hotline."

I got the label and UPS just came to collect it. So I got it replaced for an EVGA Supernova 850 B2.

So will they send it out now or will they send it out when they receive my faulty psu? How can I check the status?

Okay so I managed to file a complaint through this page https:// www. hardwareversand .de/en/cmIndex.jsp using "complaint hotline."

I got the label and UPS just came to collect it. So I got it replaced for an EVGA Supernova 850 B2.

So will they send it out now or will they send it out when they receive my faulty psu? How can I check the status?
    Explain that in my profile you have a complaint button pick order number to return etc and you got a UPS label?

Explain that in my profile you have a complaint button pick order number to return etc and you got a UPS label?

yeah i actually got the apparently elusive label :)

yeah i actually got the apparently elusive label :)
    Jesus gutted i used the first option Komplaint not the second :confused:

• Advertisement

Still don't understand how i tried the Complaint Online version same thing when i click to download UPS shipping label nothing happens 3 browsers naught :rolleyes: Says downloading shipping but nothing ever does.

Advertisement