Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Build. Really doing it this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I have no idea what you are saying, pictures would help put an image of each item described.

I edited the post. Hopefully it is better understood now. I can't get any photos just yet and I tried turning it on, but no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Generally speaking your first port of call is to check that ask the cables are correctly seated and secure. Sometimes it'll seem OK but the connection might actually be a bit loose. Take them out and redo them to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The 8 pin CPU cable plugs in at the top of the motherboard, hard to see in the Nanoxia. That's why it's not booting

The 8 pin CPU cable plugs in at the top of the motherboard, hard to see in the Nanoxia. That's why it's not booting

Result on that. I might hook up the monitors now and see what happens.

You'll see POST screen :p How did you find building it?

• Advertisement

You'll see POST screen :p How did you find building it?

Plugged in 1 monitor. Plugged into the hdmi on the gpu, so hdmi 2. I have a boot screen :D

I enjoyed putting it together, but was nervous about breaking stuff. So far, so good. Thanks for yoir help to date, you have made it possible.

I suppose i just need to create a boot thingy and go from there. I will keep the thread updated until everything is running as it should. The slow process of transferring my files from the old pc is going to be a pain in the butt.

It's enjoyable the first few times, then its boring :pac: No worries, happy to help!

Just stick the HDD in? Or do you still need the old one too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fair play on your first self build.

I had no idea what cables you were talking about good job Digital knew as he must have the same board. If I was there I would have spotted the missing connector.

It's enjoyable the first few times, then its boring :pac: No worries, happy to help!

Just stick the HDD in? Or do you still need the old one too

Will need the old one......family use. I plan to take the files I need, wipe the computer and maybe upgrade the ram.

It's in the same place on all ATX boards, I've the same case as him though.

Install Steam and a game to SSD, set the transfer and game away for a few hours, or leave it overnight

• Advertisement

It's in the same place on all ATX boards, I've the same case as him though.

Install Steam and a game to SSD, set the transfer and game away for a few hours, or leave it overnight

I have a bad memory. It is 2009 since I last built a machine(my own)

I'm an electrician and also done electronics in college for a few years so i would have seen the missing connection if I was there.

I wasn't trying to have a go or anything, not sure how that looked

I wasn't trying to have a go or anything, not sure how that looked

Out of curiosity what course are you doing in college September? If I remember right you said you are starting. Just wondering if it is anything with computers as you seem to like this stuff.

Electronic Engineering and Computing is my first choice :pac: In NUIG, DIT is the only other college with a similar course I found so I put it down too.

Electronic Engineering and Computing is my first choice :pac: In NUIG, DIT is the only other college with a similar course I found so I put it down too.

GMIT has that as well or well it used to anyway.

I checked with 45 minutes left before it closed so it's likely I missed some :o

Does that guy on Reddit take long to get back to people with keys? I sent a PM this morning and haven't heard anything. I want windows 8.1pro and MS office 2013 pro.

Took about 8 hours with me. Depends on time change and his own stuff, he'll get back to you I'd say

I suppose I have to wait.

I am having a couple of problems you might be able to help with.

Issue 1)

I have only tested one monitor. I am not receiving signal when the HDMI is connected, but I did get a signal last night when it was connected to the graphics card HDMI. I unplugged the power cables and HDMI before going to bed and when I plugged it all back in, I got no signal. I tried:

The HDMI slot in the MB and the GPU with no luck. I switched from HDMI 1, to HDMI 2 and nothing. I tried the SVGA cable in the MB with no signal and then tried it in the the GPU slot and I got signal. I am only getting a signal fro the GPU SVGA port! wtf am I doing wrong? It worked with HDMI last night and nothing today.

EDIT: After some fiddling around, I can now say that the HDMI and SVGA on the graphics card are giving a signal, but I am getting nothing from either on the MB. I hooked up both monitors and did some more testing.

issue 2)

I clicked on the reddit "create media" link to download a windows ISO, but when I try to select a language, the box is blank and I can't select anything. Edition and architecture can't be touched until a language is selected and the next button is greyed out. I downlaoded an ISO from another site earlier today, but it's the american english version, so I haven't used it.

You've to turn on a setting in the BIOS to have the PC use the MB and GPU outputs at the same time. Can't you use the GPU for both?

As per the second, I haven't a clue. You can use the one you have and change the language

• Advertisement

You've to turn on a setting in the BIOS to have the PC use the MB and GPU outputs at the same time. Can't you use the GPU for both?

As per the second, I haven't a clue. You can use the one you have and change the language

There is only one HDMI slot in the GPU and one in the MB and I would like to use the HDMI for both if I can. If it was too much trouble, I suppose I could use the SVGA on the GPU for one monitor.

I am not given an option to change the language in the open menu. Can I change it all over later? I would HATE to be stuck with american english.

I don't know the exact setting, different in different motherboard brands. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

W7 is it?

What GPU did you get out of curiousity?

I don't know the exact setting, different in different motherboard brands. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

W7 is it?

What GPU did you get out of curiousity?

I got the MSI R5450

I don't have an OS on it yet. I am waiting for the reddit guy to get back to me, but will be using windows 8.1 pro.

I've no idea how to use W8.1 but in 7 the Control Panel has a Region and Language menu where I can change the language to whatever W7 supports, I'd assume you can do the same.

Hold off panicking on the monitors until you get Windows, my second monitor was straight into the mb and it was Plug and Play for me, but it doesn't work until Windows boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

When you are installing windows 8.1 you will have an option to set the region and language preferences. Its one of the first screens during install.

Still no word from that guy on reddit. Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you can use windows for 180 days without a license

My brothers friend installed W7 ultimate and said I would get the W10 upgrade when it comes out. The pc is up and running now. The monitors are running off the hdmi of the MB and GPU. There is a problem though. The displays look different. The MB display is not as vivid as the the GPU display. The colours are much more striking on the GPU display. I didn't expect this. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You'll need to calibrate windows to the displays. Not sure how you go about it on multiple monitors, but there's an option in the displays control panel for calibration.

The MB display output will never be quite as good as the GPU because Intel's drivers will always be rubbish. You should be able to get them pretty close though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What ports does your GPU have?

Can you not output to both monitors from just the graphics card? For example, one monitor HDMI and second monitor DVI?

Advertisement