Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LEAP cards now work on the city buses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

... in the form of reduced subsidy requirements meaning less tax needs to be used to prop up the CIE group.

Ah yes good woman, I look forward to taxes falling as a result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

... in the form of reduced subsidy requirements meaning less tax needs to be used to prop up the CIE group.

Lower bank charges for handling the large amounts of coins, more accurate fare receipts, less potential for hands in the till....

Apparently the monthly passes still can only be purchased for a calendar month, despite the electronic system. Hilarious if true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭jkforde

just used it from Tuam Rd.to Dunnes Knocknacarra... The driver accepted it, placed it on the reader but didn't issue a paper ticket... just looked at my balance online and my credit hasn't been debited yet, maybe the drivers aren't totally up to speed yet which is understandable I suppose

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The updated balance takes aaaages to appear online for some reason. It's often been a couple of days before I've seen updated balances in my online account so you really have to keep track of your balance yourself if you're using it regularly. But rest assured that the bus drivers and inspectors have access to your most up-to-date balance and recently purchased ticket. Just in case the guilt of a free bus ride was getting too much :P

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    just used it from Tuam Rd.to Dunnes Knocknacarra... The driver accepted it, placed it on the reader but didn't issue a paper ticket... just looked at my balance online and my credit hasn't been debited yet, maybe the drivers aren't totally up to speed yet which is understandable I suppose

They shouldn't issue paper tickets. Not sure how long it takes to update the online balance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I got a student leap card a week ago and then topped it up with €10 early on Monday, selecting City Direct as load location. I tried it out the next morning and it seemed to work fine, I was let on the bus anyway! When I check online though it still says my travel credit balance is €0.00 and there's no transactions so I'm wondering is it just reallllly slow or has the credit not loaded? Do I need to specifically say to the driver that it needs to be loaded next time?

Or was it just a case that I don't wait long enough before trying to use it after topping up and happened to get a bus driver who might not have realised it didn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Paper tickets are not issued for purse or pass use, receipts are issued for pass purchases.

Bus usage will not appear online until the bus machine uploads it's transaction data. This usually happens every night but if the machine has no wifi or mobile data connection it will not appear until a connection is competed.
    The updated balance takes aaaages to appear online for some reason. It's often been a couple of days before I've seen updated balances in my online account so you really have to keep track of your balance yourself if you're using it regularly. But rest assured that the bus drivers and inspectors have access to your most up-to-date balance and recently purchased ticket. Just in case the guilt of a free bus ride was getting too much :P

All usage info is stored on the card so any reader will be able to provide that info, bus drivers can print out a list of the last 5 transactions for you but be sensible and don't ask when it will delay the service.
    Cocolola wrote: »
    I got a student leap card a week ago and then topped it up with €10 early on Monday, selecting City Direct as load location. I tried it out the next morning and it seemed to work fine, I was let on the bus anyway! When I check online though it still says my travel credit balance is €0.00 and there's no transactions so I'm wondering is it just reallllly slow or has the credit not loaded? Do I need to specifically say to the driver that it needs to be loaded next time?

Or was it just a case that I don't wait long enough before trying to use it after topping up and happened to get a bus driver who might not have realised it didn't work?

It would entirely depend on how City Direct are updating their on board machines. If they are allowing on-board collection then they would really need to have a system that is regularly connecting to download updated purchases otherwise people are going to turn up having purchased credit or passes that the bus and card do not have access to. Presumably if they have a regularly updating system it should also be returning data quickly so online balances are also updated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It would entirely depend on how City Direct are updating their on board machines. If they are allowing on-board collection then they would really need to have a system that is regularly connecting to download updated purchases otherwise people are going to turn up having purchased credit or passes that the bus and card do not have access to. Presumably if they have a regularly updating system it should also be returning data quickly so online balances are also updated quickly.

City Direct are one of the places where people can pick up credit they have purchased on-line, so they must have on-board connections.

Bus Éireann are not offering the same option.

Wait so if I have €2 on my card, I could potentially take as many buses as I wanted that day because my balance hasn't changed?

• Advertisement

City Direct are one of the places where people can pick up credit they have purchased on-line, so they must have on-board connections.

Bus Éireann are not offering the same option.
    Intifada wrote: »
    Wait so if I have €2 on my card, I could potentially take as many buses as I wanted that day because my balance hasn't changed?

The balance is not stored on line, it's stored on the card. I suspect the trip history is updated when the on bus ticket module is uploaded to ticketing system.

can confirm that BÉ buses are able to activate credit, no need to activate in Payzone... this was on the 405 anyhow but I'm assuming they're all kitted out to the same spec

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

So based on feedback here giving me the feeling that this was the new sliced bread I went to Eason yesterday morning and bought a shiny new Leap card.
    The bus driver on the way to work didn't know how to work the machine so I paid cash. He was nice about it and said he hadn't had any training. When I got off the bus he said he had since figured out from a remembered conversation with a colleague.
    On the way home the driver told me I couldn't use the card. He was fairly gruff about it and I got the impression he hadn't got any training either. I paid cash.
    This morning I asked the driver and whilst he seemed initially put out he jabbed a few buttons and sent me on my way. I have no idea if I was charged or not.

So what's the story? Is the Leap payment method officially in use now? I felt like someone trying to pay my fare with roubles or something the last two days.

Yes, it is officially in use since 28 September - as per here: http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=386

If I was you, I would say that I had no cash, and that the card was the only way I could pay. If the driver does not know how to work his/her ticket machine, they should be letting you on for free, IMHO. That's what happened when Mr O'Bumble and I tried to use the card at the weekend - which is why I haven't been able make a definitive post about the adult far yet.

bad luck I'd say, I've had no issues using it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

I've saved soooooo much money since I bought our leapcards...asking for a daysaver turns out to be the best way not to get a charge on my card ...& my daughter still has full balance,nothing taken off hers as school fare is a bit complicated to suss out on the machines ...€23 spent on them so no way will I be offering cash to drivers.This mornings bus driver took one look at her card and waved her past !!!!Maybe someone should inform Buseireann???.....NAH ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh, delete the post before they find out!

Yes, it is officially in use since 28 September
    Thanks. The guy on the way home yesterday actually charged my card for the first time.
    If the driver does not know how to work his/her ticket machine, they should be letting you on for free, IMHO.
    Like I said the first driver was very genuine and he said he hadn't got any training. He doesn't have the authority to let me on for free. Its a difficult situation to be put in for some people. I think someone failed here big time but its not the driver's fault
    If I was you, I would say that I had no cash, and that the card was the only way I could pay.
    No. if you were me you wouldn't do that.

So do tell - how much did they charge???

So do tell - how much did they charge???

The driver pressed one button and my balance displayed on the LCD display.
    Then he asked me what I wanted. I said "I think it's €1.65" and he hovered for a second before hitting another button and replied "€1.60".
    So either a standard single is €1.60 with a Leap card or he found a way to charge me that much based on my request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jamesoc85

I have been using the Card for the past week. Twice a day for single fares on the 409 route. And half the time the drivers have no idea what they are doing. I have got 3 free trips as they don't know how to charge for the leap card. Its great, plus its 1.60 a trip when they do charge my card so its 30c cheaper every trip.

jamesoc85 wrote: »
    I have been using the Card for the past week. Twice a day for single fares on the 409 route. And half the time the drivers have no idea what they are doing. I have got 3 free trips as they don't know how to charge for the leap card.

Ask the drivers that "don't know" what they're doing if they are in a union. It wouldn't surprise me if there were negotiations on how to get more pay out of Bé for "changes to terms & conditions" and "using new/different technologies".

whineflu wrote: »
    Like I said the first driver was very genuine and he said he hadn't got any training. He doesn't have the authority to let me on for free. Its a difficult situation to be put in for some people. I think someone failed here big time but its not the driver's fault.

But he has the authority to drive a bus without bothering to find out how to use the ticketing equipment on it?

Leap cards are now a legitimate form of payment - you have a right to expect that all drivers know how to use them.

How would you react if you handed over a E5 note, and the driver said "sorry I don't know how to give change for those"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

But he has the authority to drive a bus without bothering to find out how to use the ticketing equipment on it?

I'd expect he has a valid driving licence allowing him to drive the bus.

can confirm that BÉ buses are able to activate credit, no need to activate in Payzone... this was on the 405 anyhow but I'm assuming they're all kitted out to the same spec

ok, topped up with 10 euros on Tuesday but was told this morning that it's not possible to load the credit on the bus... so until all drivers are up to speed so to speak bring some change with you! (not withstanding Mrs point about it being a legitimate form of payment now)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jamesoc85

Another free trip this afternoon, bus eireann Are saving my a fortune

How would you react if you handed over a E5 note, and the driver said "sorry I don't know how to give change for those"?

Obviously I'd be surprised but that is not an equivalent scenario. If it was New Years Day 2002 and the driver never been informed of any type of currency changeover and I handed him a €5 euro note. He might react like you said.
    I think this situation is tricky because it isn't clear where the failure in implementing the new system occurred. Is it BE management. Is it the drivers. Is it unions? Is it TFI? I don't know.
    Letting people on for free or demanding to be let on for free is another very Irish solution. We all complain about a lack of formal process but we all happily go with the flow when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Obviously I'd be surprised but that is not an equivalent scenario. If it was New Years Day 2002 and the driver never been informed of any type of currency changeover and I handed him a €5 euro note. He might react like you said.
    I think this situation is tricky because it isn't clear where the failure in implementing the new system occurred. Is it BE management. Is it the drivers. Is it unions? Is it TFI? I don't know.
    Letting people on for free or demanding to be let on for free is another very Irish solution. We all complain about a lack of formal process but we all happily go with the flow when it suits.

I disagree. It's good customer service policy, that's all. If a service is purchased (the leap card) and the till of the business is faulty or an employee not sure, the management err on the side of 'the customer is always right'. If they were still 'training' they should not have made a public announcement to say it's ready for use. Have dummy customers/inspectors test it out for a week so.

It's a slightly different scenario if say a credit card machine is broken. The very least is to hang a sign on the entrance door. With a bus, this is a bit late when the bus comes (it's like being at a till). SO the only comparable solution might be hanging a sign on bus stops saying "we may not have a clue how to use a Leap card, sorry for any inconvenience. Maybe bring cash or use another company".

inisboffin wrote: »
    I disagree. It's good customer service policy, that's all.

Not being funny but I don't want good customer service. If I go out for dinner and get served a nice hot delicious meal without delay then that's as expected. If my meal takes ages and then arrives cold or burnt but the manager apologises and says its on the house then that's good customer service?? I'd prefer a hot meal on time without any fuss.
    I want this service to work and I don't want to be a beta tester. I don't think that's too much to ask but because of the haphazard way the Leap service is being rolled out (marketing fanfare without informing the drivers) I'm forced to endure the daily roulette of will they / won't they
    inisboffin wrote: »
    If they were still 'training' they should not have made a public announcement to say it's ready for use. Have dummy customers/inspectors test it out for a week so.
    100% agree which is why I wouldn't be hanging an individual driver for a systemic error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not being funny but I don't want good customer service. If I go out for dinner and get served a nice hot delicious meal without delay then that's as expected. If my meal takes ages and then arrives cold or burnt but the manager apologises and says its on the house then that's good customer service?? I'd prefer a hot meal on time without any fuss.

I'm not sure of your argument here. If you paid for a gift voucher or got it for a present and were turned away at the restaurant because the waiter didn't know what to do with it, then it is the fault of the business. And I *do* want good customer service: I want a bus that comes on time and rewards repeat business and a staff that's respectful. One can only live in hope for all of them!

I was not suggesting that customers be Beta Testers, simply that the service is not on offer to the public while they test it (have the machines on but they are not in use) and have inspectors test the drivers.
    100% agree which is why I wouldn't be hanging an individual driver for a systemic error.

We're not hanging any driver. It's the company that are at fault. The driver represents the company. The drivers that let people on for free are simply doing a better customer service job for their company than the ones that aren't. They know they have a (semi) monopoly on their service. Thankfully the 'semi' part is there.

Advertisement