Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I am looking for ( x ) in Galway city&county

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

Anyone know a place that sells decent guacamole? Tesco one is rubbish. I make my own from time to time but have yet to find a decent shop bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Not that its the same, but I saw frozen ripe avocado flesh in the freezer dept in Joyce's in Knocnacarra lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bredabe wrote: »
    Not that its the same, but I saw frozen ripe avocado flesh in the freezer dept in Joyce's in Knocnacarra lately.

Interesting. I suppose it is meant for green smoothies.

Interesting. I suppose it is meant for green smoothies.

Im going to try it for groc, so hard to get ripe enough in the supermarkets atm.

Im going to try it for groc, so hard to get ripe enough in the supermarkets atm.

Please let us know the result. Would be most helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Aldi is pretty good for ripe avocados. Funny you should mentioned the frozen ones as I just noticed them this week too. The package said they were perfect for guac. Would never have occurred to me to freeze them.

As far as just walking into a place and buying it premade you can buy a tub from Boojum if you're happy spending 5 or so quid. However, it is really easy to make as long as you can find the ripe article.

I made guacamole last night (Saturday). Bought ripe & ready to eat avocados from Aldi on Wednesday and stored them in a brown paper bag in the hot press until today. They were perfect. But it takes pre-planning, so the frozen ones would be perfect if the texture is right

Saw them in Dunnes Knocknacarra, too this morning. The packaging says they are perfectly ripe Hass avocados, which is good because Hass are the nicest as far as I'm concerned. €4 for a 500g bag.

Saw them in Dunnes Knocknacarra, too this morning. The packaging says they are perfectly ripe Hass avocados, which is good because Hass are the nicest as far as I'm concerned. €4 for a 500g bag.
    I saw them as well in supervalu in Fr Griffin Rd, there they were over 4€, not cheap, but as I dont make it often and the local shop would cost me that per pear(almost), figured that could live in the freezer a lot longer than fresh ones going off, cause I dont have a hot press to finish ripening.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

Looking for a garage that has a forecourt vacuum for car interior. Anyone know of any place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

how did the guacamole turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

motley wrote: »
    Looking for a garage that has a forecourt vacuum for car interior. Anyone know of any place?

The petrol station in woodquay has one afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

I made guacamole last night (Saturday). Bought ripe & ready to eat avocados from Aldi on Wednesday and stored them in a brown paper bag in the hot press until today. They were perfect. But it takes pre-planning, so the frozen ones would be perfect if the texture is right

How do you tell (when buying) that the avocado is ripe? Thanks.

Still searching for ripe tomatoes.

tmh106 wrote: »
    How do you tell (when buying) that the avocado is ripe? Thanks.
    The colour of the skin(should be brown) if not it could take weeks to ripen naturally, should be relatively soft to the touch when you squeeze them.

The colour of the skin(should be brown) if not it could take weeks to ripen naturally, should be relatively soft to the touch when you squeeze them.

Also be aware a common pitfall of avocados shipped from afar (Israel and the like) is if they become too cold or near frozen they will never ripen. It used to happen a lot more often and sometimes in Dunnes you could still feel how cold the avocados were. Anyhow, when this happens they just go from unripe to rotten.

Dunnes started carrying ripe avocados a few years back but they were pretty dear. I would often pay 10 quid to make up a batch of guac. Three of so years ago Aldi started carrying the pre-ripened sort for a lot less.

Like beardybrewer I buy the ripe and ready to eat avocados from Aldi and pick the ones with the nearest Best Before date. I still buy them a couple of days in advance to be on the safe side and keep them in a brown paper bag until use. Adding an apple to the bag speeds up the ripening process.
    Maybe we should have a separate avocado thread at this stage ;)

I tried that for my last batch, apple didn't work, left with green on the outside and mouldy centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Patrickc909

Anybody know where I could get a sombrero (or two) in the city asap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Try the costume shop beside An Tobar.

• Advertisement

Is there an Army/Navy (army surplus) type store in the city?

There used to be one on Shop St but it closed a few years back. Not sure if there's anything like that in the city.

Very nice one in Killarney if you're ever down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Like beardybrewer I buy the ripe and ready to eat avocados from Aldi and pick the ones with the nearest Best Before date. I still buy them a couple of days in advance to be on the safe side and keep them in a brown paper bag until use. Adding an apple to the bag speeds up the ripening process.
    Maybe we should have a separate avocado thread at this stage ;)

Final word (from me, anyway) on avocados. Check out www.strongroots.ie - Products section. "Our Peruvian avocado is perfectly ripened, pitted and freshly frozen for your convenience". Haven't tried them myself yet - saw them mentioned favourably in an article in the Irish Times. Available in Supervalu and Dunnes apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Looking for a plumber. We've had two out to the house and none got back to us. I'm looking for someone to install oil central heating and do work in two bathrooms. Can't believe it's proving so difficult to find someone.

Looking to buy some copies of MS office, where are they available off line?

Looking for a plumber. We've had two out to the house and none got back to us. I'm looking for someone to install oil central heating and do work in two bathrooms. Can't believe it's proving so difficult to find someone.
    Sent you a pm on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Any recommendations please?

edit - Childminder in Knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Any recommendations please?

On what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Childminder in Knocknacarra
    it's in bold above the question :)

• Advertisement