Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

The Pod is gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I've had a load of deadly nights in the Redbox but I didn't really like it once they changed the layout.

The only time I was in The Pod was for Skudge last week and it was a shockingly poor place for them. Their rig was so big that it took up half the dancefloor. And the dancefloor had been pushed so far back that it was right along the line towards the jacks which meant you were getting knocked into every few minutes.

I think it is a bit sad if the venue is gone though, even if the bookings/door-staff/clientele were all different shades of sh1te. I reckon that other place Krystal will start to see numbers drop if the Pod is reopened as a Wright Venue style club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

ianuss wrote: »
    I reckon that other place Krystal will start to see numbers drop if the Pod is reopened as a Wright Venue style club.
    I've never been to Krystal but can just imagine exactly what it's like...

From an economic point of view - you can't really argue with the likes of Coppers. If you were a business man, that's what you'd go for - there's a gap in the market there still (amazingly!) for another one of those places.

A whole lot of people just want to put on the fake tan, do their make-up and hair (fellas and girls for both of these), drink themselves into a stupor while bumping up against similarly dolled up members of the opposite sex, hopefully get a snog, and hit Eddie Rockets / Abra on the way home. Music policy is not really amongst their concerns, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Yeah, a lot of people are going to more attracted to the cattle market clubs than any other type to have their beer, their fight and their bit of hole at the end of the night. Fair play, it keeps them out of the decent places.

I remember many a great night in the Red Box, going to see Billy Nasty and the like or heading along to the Powderbubble which was just totally out there. When they redesigned it the lost some of the magic of the place and the Tripod was just muck for going to see bands. I hadn't graced the inside of the Pod in many a year and from the reports I'd heard recently you wouldn't have paid me to go there.

It were good, then it were sh¡t and then it were closed. The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

joker77 wrote: »
    A whole lot of people just want to put on the fake tan, do their make-up and hair (fellas and girls for both of these), drink themselves into a stupor while bumping up against similarly dolled up members of the opposite sex, hopefully get a snog, and hit Eddie Rockets / Abra on the way home. Music policy is not really amongst their concerns, sadly.

You nailed it joker, loads of pretty boys & scaldy girls all with their superiority complex's in full swing, then as you described they end up like the wasters on the drink sensibly ads where the laughing is dubbed over them being a complete mess that cant hold their drink past 12:00 midnight.

Is it any wonder why the place never attracted the music lovers religiously, one thing that stands apart from these places & the Raves i have to say is that your pristine image was never a factor in the Raves, no pantomime persona projection either, and the consumption of large amounts of strong narcotics over 48 hours non stop killed off the sexual attraction in the Rave, to many drugs to be taken & music to be blasted at you & weekend of buzzing to be chasing women while in the Rave 8am - early house - normal watering hole - Rave 8am - Gaff/Boozer - Sunday evening CRASH - work.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

harcourt street will be more of a mess than it already is if they turn tripod into another commercial club/teenybopper pisshole.

honestly,i like the cheesy clubs,coppers d2,palace dandelion etc cause i can pull birds in there and have a laugh,a few gargles but nothing major.

but i always liked the fact that i had pod/crawdaddy just there at the corner if i wanted to dance the face off myself (as i have many a' time!).

the correlation between d2 and coppers is nuts,the whole place does be crammed with people...then theres good aul pod...it was like the outcast club when it was at its best. I hope something good comes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Promo for new Pod?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

joker77 wrote: »
    I've never been to Krystal but can just imagine exactly what it's like....

You actually can't.

It's much, much worse than you'd think.
    I had the misfortune of having to go to Dicey's and Krystal for a few mates' joint 40th birthdays a few weeks back. The taxi home was the highlight of the night!
    We got to the door about 9 o clock and the bouncer had a clipboard for checking which "party" people were with. I was aghast. 90% of the crowd would have looked right at home on that Tallafornia atrocity on TV3.

It actually reminded me of the POD the first few years it was open. I was only inside the place a handful of times. An extraordinarily low strike rate at the door due to the bouncers being such contrary cnuts that we stopped bothering our bollix trying.