Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Note to self: when I arrive in Ireland and see Oryx, give the girl a hug. Oh, and bring her a bag of socks. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Note to self: when I arrive in Ireland and see Oryx, give the girl a hug. Oh, and bring her a bag of socks. ;)
    Paired! They've gotta be paired! My heart is broken trying to match odd socks. I think the machine eats them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oryx wrote: »
    Paired! They've gotta be paired! My heart is broken trying to match odd socks. I think the machine eats them. :)
    Virtual hug going your way :) CATCH!
    Sad fact - I love sorting laundry and especially pairing socks. It relaxes me :). My wife thinks I'm v weird but I get a few brownie points too from it so win/win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

RedB wrote: »
    Virtual hug going your way :) CATCH!
    Sad fact - I love sorting laundry and especially pairing socks. It relaxes me :). My wife thinks I'm v weird but I get a few brownie points too from it so win/win

She's not the only one :D

Hey Oryx hang in there, not long to go now. Irrespective of how much you train or how seriously you take IM I think the first year's training is the hardest for others around you to take / understand. After year 1 you either slack off the training and do it off minimal hours (like me) or get deeper into it but with a family that is at that stage used to it (like JB ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Wells Delicious Gazelle

My mother keeps nagging me that Im killing myself. My husband wont even mention the subject of IM. My brothers think Im mad. My friends never see me. My kids keep saying 'mammy, why are you always going out to train?'. My house is falling down from lack of housekeeping and we are all running out of clean socks. And through it all Im getting up at 6am to turbo.

Sometimes I just need a hug. :D

So everything is normal in an IM kind of way:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The question is.............

Is it all worth it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Wells Delicious Gazelle

Is it all worth it ?

Personally for me yes there is no feeling like completing your first IM distance race, well apart from watching your children being born.

Oryx has it all ahead of her....just make sure you saviour the last few moments before you cross that finish line.

Is it all worth it ?
    What???? Of COURSE its worth it. I havent even got to race day yet and I wouldnt change a minute of the last 23 weeks. Even now when I want to curl up and sleep instead of finishing work and going out for a run, this is still all I want to do. Its an obsession that takes over your life. Without this, I wouldnt now know I can do a 4k swim and survive. I wouldnt have even tried.
    well apart from watching your children being born.
    I never saw my children being born, I was at an awkward angle. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

What???? Of COURSE its worth it. I havent even got to race day yet and I wouldnt change a minute of the last 23 weeks. Even now when I want to curl up and sleep instead of finishing work and going out for a run, this is still all I want to do. Its an obsession that takes over your life. Without this, I wouldnt now know I can do a 4k swim and survive. I wouldnt have even tried.

I never saw my children being born, I was at an awkward angle. :p

You need to say it every so often:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I never really saw my kids being born either, I was warned to stay well away from that end and concentrate on mopping her brow :)

• Advertisement

Oryx has it all ahead of her....just make sure you saviour the last few moments before you cross that finish line.

Don't savor them for too long....tick tock, tick tock....you've got a time to post!! ;)

I can only crawl so fast. :)

Double day today. Just under 10k tonight. 54 mins. And I felt every bit of it. Hard. But done.

Have you a goal time or splits?

Have you a goal time or splits?
    My goal time is on post one but its too optimistic based on where I am now. My bike just isn't good enough. Rough splits? 95 min swim. Seven and a half hour bike. Four and a half mara. Which will bring me closer to 14 hrs. But I'll do my best on the day and the closer I am to 13 the happier I'll be.

My goal time is on post one but its too optimistic based on where I am now. My bike just isn't good enough. Rough splits? 95 min swim. Seven and a half hour bike. Four and a half mara. Which will bring me closer to 14 hrs. But I'll do my best on the day and the closer I am to 13 the happier I'll be.

Of course I've done the math and broken all the times and distances down. I think you're good! :D

Of course I've done the math and broken all the times and distances down. I think you're good! :D
    And I have seven weeks to get better!

Swam this morning. As usual, I started out feeling tired and like I would quit after 250m, but I kept going and finished stronger and better at 2k. Makes this my longest swim week, 3 hours 40 minutes and 8.1k. But Ive GOT to get into open water on Monday, when all my nice technique and practice will go out the window. I wonder if my wetsuit still fits?

Nothing more today, which feels like a day off!

Ran this morning. I ducked out of a hill run session, bad Oryx. Head didnt want to, so body followed.

Did my own plod around the hills, 12.65k in 69 minutes. Hills next week. Maybe. 9 hours into the week so far, makes for a tough session tomorrow to hit my target.

Looong bike today. Went out with a clubmate and it was my first time doing a long cycle with company. And it was fun. We even stopped for tea. As it was more her pace than mine I really enjoyed it. 150k which I'm pleased to have got done even though it was a tad slower than I would have liked.

Savage. :D

Well whoop di do. I did a sea swim tonight. It didn't disappoint. It felt brutally cold going in, which mellowed a bit to just brain freeze cold once you got going. I did get kinda used to it but the 30 mins I did was enough, any more and I would have been uncomfortably chilled. How anyone did that HIM at the weekend is beyond me. :) I had done a short run beforehand to warm up but thats it for today. I've been tired all day from the bike yesterday and a week where I inadvertently went 2 hours over plan. So a slightly easier one is called for this week, I think!

• Advertisement

Woke up this morning feeling full of beans. It seems that sea air and salt water is good for the constitution. :)

Turboed for an hour. Nothing spectacular, just putting in some spintime. I would call this a handy enough Z2 session for legs that are still carrying Sunday, and an ass that is still sulking with my saddle.

And I've been stressing about my house and how Im not getting it as clean as I would like, and that we live in a pigsty and all that. Then I turn the page in the calendar, and this is the thought for the day:

A house unkept cannot be so distressing as a life unlived.

Just what I needed to hear. :)

My first core session in two weeks tonight. It felt good to be back doing kettlebells. None of it was too hard but sure it kept my hand in at it. Did a few pull ups afterwards, but just a token gesture. A nice change of scene in the middle of all the swim/bike/run.

Yawn. Another day, another turbo session. It was bright and sunny out, and still there I was spinning away and going nowhere for an hour. I'm at the stage now where I'm kinda used to doing the higher hours, and the funny thing is, they don't seem enough. The intensity I'm putting in doesn't seem high enough. 6 more weeks certainly doesn't seem enough.

This, apparently, is perfectly normal. :)

Got to the pool tonight (which felt freezing, I'm never happy). Did the following sets:

100 w/u
    2 x 500
    2 x 400
    2 x 300
    2 x 200
    3 x 100

Brought me up to 3200. I was meant to have rests starting at 20 sec descending to 5 secs for the shorter sets. That did get screwed up because of cramping from quite early on. But the whole session took 75 mins, and I'm happy with the effort I put in. Feel like I worked hard.

Boy, do I feel all self righteous this morning. :) Out the door at 5.55 am for my LSR. (Someday, when I'm old, fat, and unfit, I will read back on this to remind myself that I once got out of bed at 5am to run for two hours). Even though I knew I had to do this, reading RedB's log where he did this same session meant I really had to do it. Peer pressure, like! I have a tooth extraction tomorrow which puts the kibosh on running for a few days, I reckon, so this had to be it.

Started off a bit too conservatively, but that meant I did enjoy the whole run from start to end. It was a very hilly route, but to be honest, I didnt notice them that much, and they didnt show in the splits, really, which is good. 21.8k in 125 minutes. A very pleasant way to start the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Out the door at 5.55 am for my LSR...got out of bed at 5am

55 mins to get ready for a run? I suppose you need to make sure all the running gear co-ordinates well with your runners ;)

Training looks like it is going well. You are defintely one of the most consistent for completing planned training sessions on here.

55 mins to get ready for a run? I suppose you need to make sure all the running gear co-ordinates well with your runners ;)

Training looks like it is going well. You are defintely one of the most consistent for completing planned training sessions on here.
    The alarm went off at 5. It took fifteen minutes to get both eyes pointing in the same direction. Then breakfast, make packed lunches, yadda yadda yadda. I was, however, incredibly well colour-coordinated this morning. Pity noone else was up to see it. :p

I am writing this with my head resting on the desk and my eyes closed. I'm tired. :)

Club swim this morning. I just got in and knuckled down to a straight swim, the only break was to do some kicking drills. I had planned to do other drills but the lane was crowded and it was an excuse not to. I had a new super duper posh swim hat that I won, (my lucky vitruvian one has finally ripped) and jesus that thing was tight. I looked like I had a bad facelift and it gave me a murderous headache. :) Its horrible, the fast swimmers can keep their fancy hats! 2150 today.

Now Im off to the dentist. At least it means Ill get to lie down for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Jealous of your consistent training :(

• Advertisement

handangeo wrote: »
    Jealous of your consistent training :(
    Well you're so much faster than me you don't need to spend as much time training. :p

Advertisement