Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cravez wrote: »
    Are Zotac a good GPU brand? Most folks online say they are decent but just wanted to get some opinions here before I considered my new GPU purchase.

I think they're fine, have had a few Zotac cards and they were always fine, the only brand I actively avoid is VTX.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doge wrote: »
    Theres the Datavac ED500, but at £85 it`s quite pricey consider the U.S. version goes for $60.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datavac-Electric-Duster-ED-500-220-240V/dp/B003BZCOKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435604960&sr=8-1&keywords=ed500

A lot of people worry that a static charge will build up from the dust blowing around, and could destroy your motherboard.

But a good few people on overclockers.co.uk bought them and there has yet to be 1 report of a motherboard failing after cleaning it with one.

Its a gadget I`d love to own someday but can`t justify the price.

I use a small compressor, its perfect. Has a moisture trap and ESD isnt really a thing with metal components, just a plastic hoover nozzle and even then not really.

410.jpg

This yoke is really common on massdrop. IMO is priced at twice what most would reasonably pay, even with the group buy discount. Nice idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Theres the Datavac ED500, but at £85 it`s quite pricey consider the U.S. version goes for $60.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datavac-Electric-Duster-ED-500-220-240V/dp/B003BZCOKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435604960&sr=8-1&keywords=ed500

A lot of people worry that a static charge will build up from the dust blowing around, and could destroy your motherboard.

But a good few people on overclockers.co.uk bought them and there has yet to be 1 report of a motherboard failing after cleaning it with one.

Its a gadget I`d love to own someday but can`t justify the price.

l2137.jpg

Sorry. Could not resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

ED E wrote: »
    I use a small compressor, its perfect. Has a moisture trap and ESD isnt really a thing with metal components, just a plastic hoover nozzle and even then not really.

Hey ED E, where did you get it?

marko93 wrote: »
    Hey ED E, where did you get it?

I didn't buy it, its just something thats been in our garage for ages.

Maplin have a basic one for a few quid, but dont shop maplin :pac:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/heavy-duty-air-compressor-12v-140psi-a31hu

Any cheapo compressor will do as long as you fit a moisture trap to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Why don't shop maplin?

Theyre the epitome of the rip off republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Opening box containing new monitor as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Headshot wrote: »
    Opening box containing new monitor as we speak

I'm assuming its a spanking new 34" Samsung 21.9 monitor. I've got a serious itch to buy one of these as I'm getting impatient waiting for a high refresh gsync version.
    Needless to say, plenty of pics and thoughts on it please. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

marko93 wrote: »
    IS there any decent alternate to buying compressed air to clean out my PC?

Bought an inflatable mattress and it came with an electric pump. With a tight nozzle (provided) it's pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I have used a bicycle foot pump with nozzle attached to (de)dust my machine once or twice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Bought an inflatable mattress and it came with an electric pump. With a tight nozzle (provided) it's pretty impressive.

Do you find it gets rid of all the dust?

This coleman air pump looks impressive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-UK-Quickpump-Red-230/dp/B00QTWL5X4

Anyone want to take a punt? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How can someone be so clueless as to what a computer is worth? Guy on adverts selling a 1st gen i7 PC with 6GB Ram, a Geforce 8600Gt (:eek:) and Windows XP (:eek::eek:)...

Asking price 1K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

How can someone be so clueless as to what a computer is worth? Guy on adverts selling a 1st gen i7 PC with 6GB Ram, a Geforce 8600Gt (:eek:) and Windows XP (:eek::eek:)...

Asking price 1K.

because people who have no clue will go and buy it off adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Some people will see i7, big number graphics card with the suffix "Gran Turismo" and "best windows" installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Do you find it gets rid of all the dust?

No, but it's much better than nothing and we were buying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow curve is weird

Would anyone have a few sticks of dead DDR3 RAM and PCIEx4 and PCIEx16 modules they'd allow me to paint?

Want to do a full build mod, case painted, motherboard painted, ram, gpu, HDDs, SSDs, the whole shebang.

I'll be using spray paint for most of it and don't want to fill the PCI and RAM slots, so I figure the easiest way to solve that is fill them with broken parts.

It's going different colours if anyone is wondering why I'm not using my own stuff, and yes I will do a build log here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone got or used the Bitfenix Prodigy M (2014) edition?

Other half is looking at changing her case and I wanted to check few things about it first. Namely how is it for airflow and cooling? Her current case is fairly shocking for cooling having only one fan aside from the CPU and pretty poor ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

@Digital Solitude

You can get plastic slot covers if that's any use to you.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »

Other half is looking at changing her case and I wanted to check few things about it first. Namely how is it for airflow and cooling? Her current case is fairly shocking for cooling having only one fan aside from the CPU and pretty poor ventilation.

BitFenix are a serious brand, Prodigys are supposed to be fairly good cases so I'd say they'd be a good shot
    game4it70 wrote: »
    @Digital Solitude

You can get plastic slot covers if that's any use to you.

That is a lot of use, wasn't aware of that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

BitFenix are a serious brand, Prodigys are supposed to be fairly good cases so I'd say they'd be a good shot

That is a lot of use, wasn't aware of that. Thanks

I may actually have some old DDR3 around the place if you still need it, I'll have a look and send you a PM if I find it.

I was actually looking at the case for my own build a few months back, but went with the NZXT H440 instead. Heard good things about the case but want to know if it's worth the money, this is an oddly big deal for her :P

Yeah please do Sonic's, I'm already poor so trying to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Sonics2k wrote: »

i have the phenom m same case inside as the prodigy , very strong heavy case, once keep your cables tidy and flip the sides around its easy enough to get good air flow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Would anyone have a few sticks of dead DDR3 RAM and PCIEx4 and PCIEx16 modules they'd allow me to paint?

Want to do a full build mod, case painted, motherboard painted, ram, gpu, HDDs, SSDs, the whole shebang.

I'll be using spray paint for most of it and don't want to fill the PCI and RAM slots, so I figure the easiest way to solve that is fill them with broken parts.

It's going different colours if anyone is wondering why I'm not using my own stuff, and yes I will do a build log here :)

Might have some DDR memory (As in DDR1.. 333Mhz), and one or two PCI cards. It's from my very first PC and I'm getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Anyone know much about 120/144hz monitors? I got a new job and have been saving for a while, so I'm going to treat myself :P

Can't think of any other component worth upgrading in m build, my two oldest ones are my PSU and monitor, both 5 years old now :) So I'm gonna grab myself a nice shiny new one. My current one is a nice 21.5inch Samsung 1080p (can't be arsed checking model, lying in bed now :P).

So I was thinking of going 1440p, but don't see the point as it would mean forking out for another GPU for crossfire probably, or going for a 980ti.

High refresh rate monitors are supposed to be one if those mechanical keyboard "once you getone you can't go back things".

Any thoughts? My current GPU is a 290 Vapor X, clocked highly if that matters. Budget is flexible but I don't wanna spend much more than 300 euro.

I think this looks nice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HZF2JWA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

24 inches will be a bit bigger than my current monitor which might be nicer, but not too much bigger so that it doesn't give up pixel density. It seems pretty fully featured too.

For a 290 I'd look at 120hz or 1440p, not both.

If you ask anywhere on the internet, most people will say that framerate is king, but it does depend on the type of games you play.

Fast-paced action games, go 120hz
    Slower, strategy etc games, I'd go 1440p

People will likely have differing opinions to me anyways

Supposedly once you get one of them you can't go back so you could be leaving expensive upgrades in future :pac:

Danger781 wrote: »
    Might have some DDR memory (As in DDR1.. 333Mhz), and one or two PCI cards. It's from my very first PC and I'm getting rid of it.

DDR1 won't fit but I'll take the PCI cards if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

DDR1 won't fit but I'll take the PCI cards if you don't mind?

Why won't DDR1 fit? Looks to be the exact same dimensions, not that I inspected it..

Yeah my parents were supposed to be getting rid of it today but I'll see if I can intercept them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Danger781 wrote: »
    Why won't DDR1 fit? Looks to be the exact same dimensions, not that I inspected it..

Yeah my parents were supposed to be getting rid of it today but I'll see if I can intercept them!

The slot is in a different place for each generation of ram chips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement