Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**Chemistry...Before/After

• 13-05-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Sorry for been greedy :D but I desperately need to post this seperately.

I have never ever touched science in my entire life until 5th year. I'm doing biology and chemistry for my leaving cert next year
    I know a lot of the people say chemistry is easy enough to do well in if you do it correctly..
    May I ask, what way is considered as 'correctly'?
    And what is the best way to study for chemistry? I find chemistry quite tough.. but I want to acheive an A1 in it.. :P

Please help me out, Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

• Experiments - Know them well
    • Definitions - Know these like the back of your hand
    Important topics:
    • The first few chapters of the book are quaranteed in Q5
    • Also Fuels and Heats of Reaction is Q6
    • Q4 The short questions is a nice Q also

That's 6 out of 8 of your questions covered. The rest will be random apart from a guaranteed Organic Q which I tend to shy away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

do try to enjoy chemistry!...though learning notes is essential but do understand whatever u'll do..trust me it'll make chem a lot more easy! if u won't have any interest in chemistry u'll get confuse very easily & I think in chem understanding the course is much more important then learning it.Infact once u'll understand wat u r doing it will b much more easier for u to learn it (I guess) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ash2012

hey :) i'm just finishing 5th year and was wondering is it too late to pick up chemistry?? is it hard and would i have enough time to achieve a high grade ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's a short course but you need to both enjoy it and be willing to work hard for your grade. The easiest way to study it I found is to stop and think. Don't just blindly read the book or learn algorithms for answering questions. Stop, think and make sure you understand everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

ash2012 wrote: »
    hey :) i'm just finishing 5th year and was wondering is it too late to pick up chemistry?? is it hard and would i have enough time to achieve a high grade ? thanks

I don't think you are allowed to change your subjects in 6th year. are you? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ash2012

yeah but i will have to change form class and and wont have extra study periods :/

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Learn your experiments like mad. Try to do the 3 experiment questions.
    Question 4 is random bits from all over the course, should be grand.
    Theres always a chemical equilibrium question which is pretty much the same every year.
    Theres always an organic question which isnt too bad.
    The rest is pretty random to my understanding, fuels normally getting a question too.

So in general:Do the experiments,Q4,chemical equilibrium,organic, and two more questions! Not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It's a short course but you need to both enjoy it and be willing to work hard for your grade. The easiest way to study it I found is to stop and think. Don't just blindly read the book or learn algorithms for answering questions. Stop, think and make sure you understand everything.

I couldn't disagree more with this, at least in the sense of wanting to obtain a high grade.

Obviously understanding the subject helps. You need to look at previous marking schemes though. Repeated questions come up all the time and in relation to certain topics there are key words and phrases that examiners are looking for to simply tick and hand you marks. Understanding helps, but there is a definite exam technique of repeating papers again and again and looking at marking schemes.

The paper is really lovely and if you've worked hard you'll have so much choice.

The experiments are absolutely crucial, you only have to answer 2 but you should aim to answer 3. Knowing Organics inside out is key to a good grade. You have to practice calculations from the book and old papers and mocks to ensure you can get full marks on those calculations. Beyond that, cover the Atomic History and Theory well for the short questions, as well as Gases. I don't think you should leave anything out, it's not a huge course. Option question (11 I think?) is lovely if you have time

You can do it in a year, but you will have to commit to working hard and being confident enough in your other 5 subjects that you can balance it. Doable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I took it up for a repeat year and got an A2 in it. The secret really is to work off good notes, as all the books are rubbish, and practice exam questions (with the all important marking schemes) ad nauseam. If you put all your definitions and experiments onto flashcards and look over them every day then attempt and correct past paper qs you'll breeze an A it really is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

wayhey wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more with this, at least in the sense of wanting to obtain a high grade.

Obviously understanding the subject helps. You need to look at previous marking schemes though. Repeated questions come up all the time and in relation to certain topics there are key words and phrases that examiners are looking for to simply tick and hand you marks. Understanding helps, but there is a definite exam technique of repeating papers again and again and looking at marking schemes.
    If you know the "marking scheme" but don't know the course properly and the examiners decide to put on completely novel questions you'll do absolutely terribly. If you know the course, you'll have plenty to write for everything. If you know the marking schemes, you'll have a few key words to write for a few certain questions.

• Advertisement

If you know the "marking scheme" but don't know the course properly and the examiners decide to put on completely novel questions you'll do absolutely terribly. If you know the course, you'll have plenty to write for everything. If you know the marking schemes, you'll have a few key words to write for a few certain questions.

Bahahaha, completely new and novel questions? In the leaving cert? In chemistry? Someone get me a corset, I think my sides have split.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Everyone in this thread is going on about how hard chemistry is, everyone goes on about how difficult chemistry is. Everyone is trying to advise me not to chemistry next year but i see it being useful to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

paddzdaman wrote: »
    Everyone in this thread is going on about how hard chemistry is, everyone goes on about how difficult chemistry is. Everyone is trying to advise me not to chemistry next year but i see it being useful to me.

It's not hard. it's only hard if you don't enjoy it. For the first few months it is harder than other subjects- But- everything falls together and it ends up being one of the nicest and easiest subjects to do and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

everything falls together
    Yes,but
    one of the nicest and easiest subjects
    I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

paddzdaman wrote: »

Simply don't. Tried to take an interest in that three years ago, genuinely tired. Every other subject, in my opinion, bar history is far easier then any of the science subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

diarmo06 wrote: »
    Simply don't. Tried to take an interest in that three years ago, genuinely tired. Every other subject, in my opinion, bar history is far easier then any of the science subjects.

Don't advise people on which subjects to do based on your personal preferences, inform them, sure, and give your opinion, but I really think it's wrong to say "don't do that subject."

I also don't think taking the easy way out is always the best option, but that's another story. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I do Chemistry and biology. There is NO way you can say chemistry is easy. It's easy if you know it yes, but it is not ''easy''. I would say a subject like geography is easy. Biology is much more straight forward I think. the course is much longer and the paper could be absolutely anything but I find,personally, chemistry is much tougher. just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Personally I think Chemistry is one of the easiest subjects. In 4th year, it seemed ridiculously hard and complicated but it soon comes together and after a few exam papers, you see the same stuff comes up all the time. People then say Geography is easy, but I find it to be one of the hardest because of how boring it is.

Hayezer wrote: »
    Personally I think Chemistry is one of the easiest subjects. In 4th year, it seemed ridiculously hard and complicated but it soon comes together and after a few exam papers, you see the same stuff comes up all the time. People then say Geography is easy, but I find it to be one of the hardest because of how boring it is.

Yeah but you find chemistry interesting so it becomes easy. Not everyone would think the same. Others would find everything in geography really interesting. But as a subject, preferences a side, chemistry is definitely one of the harder subjects. :) Totally agree with you on the repetitive side of chem. Such cast choice in the papers too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Chemistry is really easy in my personal opinion. The exam paper is really predictable. It gets to the point where you can look at a chapter and say 'If a question on this comes up, they'll definitely ask me this and this, they'll probably ask this, and there's a chance they'll ask this'.

Do loads of exam questions and you'll eventually be able to answer anything they throw at you!

Despite the fact that it appears to be a long course, it really isn't that bad. A lot of the books are just really rubbish and are full of things you don't actually need to know to do well. So if you're studying from a book (which isn't advisable), make sure and cut out all the filler when you go to revise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Depends what you want out of the subject. If you want to take Chemistry to third level, then the Leaving Cert is ridiculously easy. If you are interested in it, a good result should follow not far behind. If you are struggling at it, it takes a lot of work and can get confusing.

If you're looking for easy points then it all doesn't matter and you should get them. The major flaw in the chemistry exam is the repetitive-ness. If you're looking to get an A as your standard, then you don't find it tough.

Chemistry's reputation goes before it.

finality wrote: »
    Don't advise people on which subjects to do based on your personal preferences, inform them, sure, and give your opinion, but I really think it's wrong to say "don't do that subject."

I also don't think taking the easy way out is always the best option, but that's another story. :P

Frankly, the leaving cert it s farce! It is no more a reflection of somebody's intellengence than that which could be judged of a person walking down the street. It is a raw cruel depiction of how much misery one could sustain before self-combustion occurs.
    Much of this misery was brought on by chemistry: " Bromine, bromine approaches the carbon carbon double bond, it becomes saturated, splits into delta positive, delta minus. Carbonium ion formed.."
    Chemistry is a horrible subject, that is if you enjoy life and not mindnumbing learning.
    This is my personal opinion, which the OP sought.

Why bother trying to take an interest, it's not as if you'll actually enjoy any part of Lc anyway.

Frankly, the leaving cert it s farce! It is no more a reflection of somebody's intellengence than that which could be judged of a person walking down the street. It is a raw cruel depiction of how much misery one could sustain before self-combustion occurs.
    Much of this misery was brought on by chemistry: " Bromine, bromine approaches the carbon carbon double bond, it becomes saturated, splits into delta positive, delta minus. Carbonium ion formed.."
    Chemistry is a horrible subject, that is if you enjoy life and not mindnumbing learning.

Why bother trying to take an interest, it's not as if you'll actually enjoy any part of Lc anyway.

brutally honest, yet brutally true! really it measures how well you can cram useless information into your head and then spit it onto a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

What a depressing comment. I'm glad most people don't have such a pitiful attitude towards education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I agree with your opinion on the Leaving Cert, it is a lot of shíte. However, I don't agree with your opinion on chemistry. I find it fascinating. Perhaps if you took an interest in the material as opposed to looking at it and going 'crap another block of words to cram in', you would and have enjoyed it more and found it a lot easier to learn. Maybe that's just me.

What a depressing comment. I'm glad most people don't have such a pitiful attitude towards education.

Leaving Cert English for example, majority of students will have pages upon pages of possible Hamlet essays learned off this year. So as to regurgitate it on the day. Whereas a fair to good command of the english language will land you with a low C.
    You tell me how well education is in Ireland? Completely flawed whereby genuine people with a aptitude for a high end job won't achieve it unless they take a brunt learning approach to such things as languages and the poetry of some old farmer who liked his hills?

Know a girl who did FIVE languages, english inclusive, went on to do medicine because she could brunt learn these.

But hey, education in Ireland is sound and well.

Must clerify once more, my opinion of chemistry OP is that it was a subject for the strong willed and imaginative. Absolute not everybodys, but it's mine & I can't be told i'm wrong.

Truth being, you were looking for reassurance on the matter & chances are you'll do it no matter what we say, Hope it fits you!

Leaving Cert English for example, majority of students will have pages upon pages of possible Hamlet essays learned off this year. So as to regurgitate it on the day. Whereas a fair to good command of the english language will land you with a low C.
    You tell me how well education is in Ireland? Completely flawed whereby genuine people with a aptitude for a high end job won't achieve it unless they take a brunt learning approach to such things as languages and the poetry of some old farmer who liked his hills?

Know a girl who did FIVE languages, english inclusive, went on to do medicine because she could brunt learn these.

Aptitude for a high-end job? If you can't put the work in for the Leaving Cert, which you regard as being as simple as just learning off a few answers, how the hell do you have an "aptitude" for a high end job? The Leaving Cert isn't perfect by any means but it rewards the hard working.

The people who spend their time moaning about how bad it is, how it's not real education, how it's not properly structured are generally people who were too lazy or arrogant to knuckle down and study and who ended up or will end up doing badly in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

I didn't say anything about education in Ireland. I was referring to education in general. To say that people do not or would not "enjoy any part of the Lc" is very wrong. The LC gives people the chance to experiment with new subjects and develop new interests, as well as expanding their knowledge in subjects/areas they may already have an interest in. The exam system is awful for the mostpart, but that doesn't mean the premise of learning and gaining knowledge isn't enjoyable.

I get the impression that you didn't get to do whatever course you were hoping for after the LC and choose to use the LC and exam system as excuses. You're entitled to have whatever opinions you like about Chemistry/English/Physics etc, my point is that it's wrong to tell somebody to not bother trying to take an interest in a subject(s), and to tell them they won't enjoy any part of the LC.

$0.02

• Advertisement

I didn't say anything about education in Ireland. I was referring to education in general. To say that people do not or would not "enjoy any part of the Lc" is very wrong. The LC gives people the chance to experiment with new subjects and develop new interests, as well as expanding their knowledge in subjects/areas they may already have an interest in. The exam system is awful for the mostpart, but that doesn't mean the premise of learning and gaining knowledge isn't enjoyable.

I get the impression that you didn't get to do whatever course you were hoping for after the LC and choose to use the LC and exam system as excuses. You're entitled to have whatever opinions you like about Chemistry/English/Physics etc, my point is that it's wrong to tell somebody to not bother trying to take an interest in a subject(s), and to tell them they won't enjoy any part of the LC.

$0.02

That's all well & good. But in truth, today the majority of people are not like this period! It's work at the end of the day and nobody enjoys it.
    It's fact, that the majority of people look back upon Lc as the worrst year of their life. YES OKAY, you can argue for a small percentage of sub-human outliers but the fact remains.

Quite wrong, got computer science in nuig, had 450 points, so well over the required. Love it. As to people with aptitudes, a friend of mine was incrediblly gifted when it came to computers, designed over 20 apps during his leaving cert and couldn't put in the hours in numb learning to do the course.
    I'd like to contrast this with somebody who could brunt learn for hours on end & took the course because it was "the next big thing" with no prior interest in computers.
    Leaving Cert allows genuine promise to fall through the gaps in it's system.

Advertisement