Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paul Sommerville Townhall date announced

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Sommerville Town hall date confirmed 21st Feb. Solutions for our Economy Speakers Sommerville, Gurdgiev , Mcwilliams ,Lucey.Loc TBA
    from his twitter, i'm sure the support of Gurdgiev, McWilliams & Lucey will add further weight to Sommerville's campagin. He also tweeted his odds have been cut to 5/2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Where is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

location not announced yet, i'll keep an eye out for it and update the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

bamboozle wrote: »
    location not announced yet, i'll keep an eye out for it and update the thread.

Ok thanks

I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

I will be there. The town hall meeting should be very interesting.

Great to see his odds have been increased of been elected. He has a very high profile campaign. He will be getting my number one vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

lovin the lavander campaign posters he's got. Better than Fine Gael's ryanair blue and yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭takun

I hate that expression 'townhall debate' - or 'town hall meeting' or town hall anything. Even more I hate the removal of any additional wording to reduce it to just 'townhall'. It's like chalk on a blackboard to me.

It's such an import from US political rhetoric, though even there it's usually an attempt to portray a carefully orchestrated rallying of the troops as a homely meeting with ordinary folk.

What's wrong with calling it a public meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

I agree, don't like the term Town Hall .... but I'll be there.....and early as McWilliams and Gurdgiev will be a big draw ;)

Roy

onekeano wrote: »
    I agree, don't like the term Town Hall .... but I'll be there.....and early as McWilliams and Gurdgiev will be a big draw ;)

Roy

Brian Lucey has been added also, should be an excellant opportunity for the people of Dublin South East to understand the full extent of the problems facing the state and see how Sommerville has a clear grasp on the situation.

Unfortunately listening to Alan Dukes on Newtalk this morning it would appear our dear FF lead govt still have been unable to put a figure on the total cost to the state of the banking/FF property buddies crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chowdown

This is going to be really interesting given that David McWilliams has already endorsed Dylan Haskins in the same constituency:
    “Dylan Haskins is an intelligent and inspiring representative for a new generation. We need people like him to lend their voices and ideas to our economic recovery. Give him your number one vote.”

David McWilliams: Economist, author and broadcaster

http://www.dylanhaskins.ie/2011/02/07/david-mcwilliams-%E2%80%93-economist-author-and-broadcaster/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Looking forward to it, seeing that I moved to Dublin SE a few months ago. Sommerville is in contention for my Nr 1.

But Brian Lucey? He who didn't see the crisis coming?

Btw I was at a conference with Gurdgiev as a speaker last year, he admitted he didn't see the housing crash coming either, he bought at the height of the boom and is now in negative equity. Nobody is perfect I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Comes across as a bit of a charlatan to me. His website is so full of mistakes its laughable, and he asks you to put an 'x' beside his name!? So he wants his potential support to spoil their vote. Its comical really.

A candidate's website is like a C.V. If they can't even put a bit of effort and professionalism into it, what says they can in office. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭takun

enda1 wrote: »
    he asks you to put an 'x' beside his name!?

Really? Where?

Comes across as a bit of a charlatan to me. His website is so full of mistakes its laughable, and he asks you to put an 'x' beside his name!? So he wants his potential support to spoil their vote. Its comical really. QUOTE]

Eh, I don't think what you are saying is correct...."Take your ballot paper and start by Looking at the bottom not the top, where the name SOMMERVILLE will be and putting a number 1 beside it. "

Roy

onekeano wrote: »
    Comes across as a bit of a charlatan to me. His website is so full of mistakes its laughable, and he asks you to put an 'x' beside his name!? So he wants his potential support to spoil their vote. Its comical really. QUOTE]

Eh, I don't think what you are saying is correct...."Take your ballot paper and start by Looking at the bottom not the top, where the name SOMMERVILLE will be and putting a number 1 beside it. "

Roy

He changed it.

I swear it used to be like that, I was sent a link by a friend and we talked about it. Hmm, I'll check google cache.

I think I did see a coment about something like taht last week but when I went to check it stated 1 for definite.

Roy

Sommerville's latest tweet gives the location for the meeting

Town Hall 21st Feb 8 pm Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge .Me ,McWilliams ,Gurdgiev,Lucey .Email info@paulsommerville.com subject “Town hall” .

bamboozle wrote: »
    Sommerville's latest tweet gives the location for the meeting

Town Hall 21st Feb 8 pm Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge .Me ,McWilliams ,Gurdgiev,Lucey .Email info@paulsommerville.com subject “Town hall” .

Should be a very interesting session - just FYI for anyone wanting to go along you just have to register for free by emailing info@paulsommerville.com and having the word Town Hall in the subject line.

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

http://twitter.com/#!/PaulSommerville
    VENUE CHANGE -Due to huge demand "Town Hall " meeting moved to D 4 Hotels Ballsbridge Mon 21st 8 pm.Please Retweet.

Registration commences at 7.30pm, Meeting will commence at 8pm

Apparently the meeting received publicity on Eamonn Dunphy's show on Newstalk yesterday morning.

per his latest tweet, venue changed to an 800 seater room...fully booked out tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 crowe79

Just returned from the meeting which provided an excellent discussion. They 3 men really outlined what needs to be in done in the coming months with their usual wit and lucidity. I even got to wish Paul well after wards. As well as his obvious abilities and talents he's also a really genuine warm passionate person. He respected my choice to vote for the ULA candidate Mick Murphy in my own constituency, even if he did not quite agree. That's because its not so much politics now as it is about voting the best people in to represent us. People of real integrity and honesty of effort. I would give him my number 1 if I was in Dublin South East and I would urge anyone who is, to do so. And the same with Shane Ross in Dublin South.

I was at the meeting too...... I thought Gurdgive was brilliant and as usual McWilliams can relate all the numbers to people in a really eloquent way - both guys on top of their game.

What really impressed me was that both of these very insightful guys gave 110% endorsement to Paul Sommerville not just because of his technical ability as an economist but also because of his passion to provide the solutions not just for Ireland but for Europe as a whole.

For anyone who was at the meeting I am sure they would give Sommerville their number 1 and hopefully spread the word...

Roy

I also attended, the crowd was probably somewhere between 800 - 1000, Sommerville, McWilliams & Gurdgiev were excellent, asides from having the technical understanding of what this country is going through, their passion for the country and its people was very visable.

I hope the people of DSE appreciate having a candidate such as Sommerville who is capable of helping us out of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I attended last night. Apart from the fear that spread over me when Constantin was giving a rundown of the economic situation the overwhelming feeling I was getting was the sense of real passion and committment that Paul Sommerville has in wanting to get in and roll his sleeves up and try to help fix the economy before it's too late.

He just admitted on Newstalk taht he sees himself sitting for a minimum of one term (as long as the economic crisis is fixed) then returning to his job so he's not interested in the power element. I am sure he left a job paying well over €100k so he's not interested in the TD wages. He wants to do what he says he wants to do. I can't see another candidate here in Dublin SE that gives me a little bit of hope that they understand the problem and have solutions to fix it so Sommerville will be getting my No.1.

I did hear one girl afterwards saying the she wasn't impressed because he seemed to give too many of teh questions to McWilliams and Constantine to answer rather than tackling them himself. This would be a criticism I have that I think he might not be selling himself enough in the campaign, but as I have seen and heard his views on TV/Radio I know that he knows his stuff and has very strong views but that might not have been apparent to people who didn't know him.

I attended last night. Apart from the fear that spread over me when Constantin was giving a rundown of the economic situation the overwhelming feeling I was getting was the sense of real passion and committment that Paul Sommerville has in wanting to get in and roll his sleeves up and try to help fix the economy before it's too late.

He just admitted on Newstalk taht he sees himself sitting for a minimum of one term (as long as the economic crisis is fixed) then returning to his job so he's not interested in the power element. I am sure he left a job paying well over €100k so he's not interested in the TD wages. He wants to do what he says he wants to do. I can't see another candidate here in Dublin SE that gives me a little bit of hope that they understand the problem and have solutions to fix it so Sommerville will be getting my No.1.

+1 - couldn't agree more.....

Roy

listened to Sommerville's interview on this morning's newstalk on their website, that FG candidate from the same constituency really came across as a bit of a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Yes that was Eoghan Murphy - who thought the election manager made an "error of judgment" endorsing Sommerville for #3 transfers.
    The audience gave a bit of a hushed "oooh" when sommerville announced that FG had said "we need Sommerville on board" at the meeting last night.
    Surely that is just a ploy to stop transfers going to Labour? I would have thought that was obvious.
    My great fear is that Sommerville will end up unused in a majority FG government and that he might as well be venting his frustrations on Vincent Browne as in the Dail. Hopefully he'll get a shot at the re-negotiations.
    Anyhoo, I think Sommerville is great and hope he gets lots of #1s in the constituency - hopefully at the expense of that nitwit Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

If Sommerville doesn't get elected then that'll tell you a lot about how informed the electorate is.I fear the old reliables F.G/Lab will get the seats and it'll be business as usual.I really hope Sommerville makes it.

todolist wrote: »
    If Sommerville does get elected then that'll tell you a lot about how uninformed the electorate is.

I think this is a clearer representation of the situation.

• Advertisement

todolist wrote: »
    If Sommerville doesn't get elected then that'll tell you a lot about how informed the electorate is.I fear the old reliables F.G/Lab will get the seats and it'll be business as usual.I really hope Sommerville makes it.

agreed, he said on newstalk if not elected he will set up a financial services company in London. he'd be an ideal appointment onto the seanad or onto the board of a state body to keep an eye on things.

Advertisement