Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting time for carer's allowance

• 11-02-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering how long people in general are waiting for a decision on the carer's allowance. I have now been waiting nearly 8 months for this. It is so frustrating and while the person I am caring for is in need of care I cannot afford to do it for much longer. If I don't get it I will be down about 7000 euro which I am relying on just to pay off my credit card and mortgage arrears. I know of people who have got it after 5 weeks but in general the waiting time seems to be 3 months.

As far as I know there are over 3000 people waiting on a decision. I wonder what would happen if we all brought the people we are caring for to the local hospital and left it to the HSE to sort it.

Am sick to my back teeth of dealing with social welfare officers who think they are paying us out of their own pockets and who seem to think that we should bow to them and kiss their feet just for doing their job. There are plenty of people unemployed that would do a better and more efficient job than most of these. While I am not asking them to be grateful for their jobs I am just asking that they do it a pace that is not consistant with that of a geriatric snail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

That seems way over the average waiting time. I'd contact the Carer's Association to see if they could advance your case for you or give you some pointers.

http://www.carersireland.com/ or 057 9322920

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

hi thanks for that, did contact them and nothing can be done till the person dealing with my case comes back to work. She is still out sick. Will ring them again at the end of the week to see if they can put in a word for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

My Mum is getting carer's allowance for my Dad - applied beginning of May this year and finally received it at the end of November. They waited 7 months in total, so your 'almost 8 months' doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

Definitely keep onto them, hope you'll get news soon!!

Hi thanks for that, It seems that this is the normal waiting time. Looks like I could be waiting another 6 weeks for the decision as the person looking after my claim has been out sick for the last three weeks and doesn't seem to be anyone in the dept to take over her work. They have not idea when of if she will be back to work. Still the system in this country is crazy. I will give it another month and then will have to return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rootedhaggis

Hi, 8 months seems a bit ridiculous, is this a first application, or an appeal? I rang the carers allowance section a week before sending my application and asked the current waiting time and was told up to 16 weeks. Was I just being spoofed???

• Advertisement

Hi I originally applied for the allowance last July and was turned down so I appealed it. Am waiting since I appealed it and that was Sept. So it is now going on 34 weeks from my original application. My file is still in the local office and once that is moved to the main office for decisions it could be several more weeks. Just be warned as well that most applications are turned down at first and then if you do get it the back dated payment only goes back to the appeal date. Would advise anyone who is applying to make sure they have the form filled in fully and send everything that is asked for. I myself think that the original applications are not even read, just turned down automatically. Good luck to anyone who is trying to get a decision on any social welfare payment . You are in for a long wait !!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

skate22 please don't spread rumours like that on this forum.
    Applications are not turned down automatically first time. There are rules and legislation attached to each and every SW scheme - it is up to the person applying to show they are entitled to the payment. In your situation you may have been turned down once already, however you don't know how many people claim Carer's Allowance in the Country and how many are disallowed.

Hi, It was never my intent to spread rumours on this matter. I did say that I thought this was the case. I do know that there are over 3000 people presently waiting a decision on this allowance and no I do not know how many people have applied. I am also aware that there are rules and regulations regarding all SW allowances but from experience these vary.

just thought I would give an update on my waiting for the carer's allowance. As I originally said I applied in July 2010 and was turned down and appealed in Sept.

It is now Sept 2011, a full 12 months later and only recently did I get an oral hearing. I am now waiting for the outcome of that. I have now been a carer since july 2010 and am not getting any payment whatsoever. I could have signed on last year for JSA and would have at least been getting some payment and be able to look for some other employment. If I am turned down now where do I go from here. I am depending on the backdated money as my bills have been mounting. My husband on a low wage and am waiting on a decision from FIS along with a decision on the Back to School Allowance. Any suggestions on where I go from here. My patience has long run out and just feel let down by our SW system.

just thought I would give an update on my waiting for the carer's allowance. As I originally said I applied in July 2010 and was turned down and appealed in Sept.

It is now Sept 2011, a full 12 months later and only recently did I get an oral hearing. I am now waiting for the outcome of that. I have now been a carer since july 2010 and am not getting any payment whatsoever. I could have signed on last year for JSA and would have at least been getting some payment and be able to look for some other employment. If I am turned down now where do I go from here. I am depending on the backdated money as my bills have been mounting. My husband on a low wage and am waiting on a decision from FIS along with a decision on the Back to School Allowance. Any suggestions on where I go from here. My patience has long run out and just feel let down by our SW system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

skate22 wrote: »

hi skate22,

I am just wondering if you had any reply back , i am in the same boat as you, i applied in may 2010. turned down, and i appealed the decision i now have an oral hearing on the 5Th January . can you give me any tips what to bring and do you get a decision there and then or do you have to wait.

thanks for your help
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I applied around Halloween time and last week I got a slip of paper with my documents returned to me in the post, saying please find enclosed your original documents which you provided with a recent application to this department. your application has been received in the relevant section and they will be in touch with you shortly?

Has this happened to anyone else? Does that mean I will hear soon or do I still have a longer wait ahead of me?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

I was wondering if anyone else who had applied for the carer's allowance could answer this question. Application went through at Halloween and last week I got a slip of paper with my original documents back saying "Please find the enclosed documentation which you provided with a recent application to this Department. Your application has been received in the relevant section and they will be in touch with you shortly. Yours Sincerely, Customer Services, Longford.

How long did it take for you to receive a response after getting a reply like this? Am just wondering is it going to be soon or could it be a few more months away?

Thank you

hi I applied on the 13Th of may 2010. I got a reply back after a few weeks saying that I would not get it but I could appeal it , I did that i got another letter saying they got a letter back saying that it would be some time before my appeal was heard. I went on a oral hearing on the 5Th of Jan 2012. I won my case and all is being back dated. I would suggest that you keep any letters, from them. doctors letters etc.. I took almost 2 yrs for me to be sorted out . I am now getting paid of the carers allowance section and am still waiting on the back payment and that could take a while yet.

I hope that you will not be turned down I do not know your particulars . I hope that this helps.

I would suggest that you have a letter ready. Just if they do turn you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I spoke to carers allowance just this week. they are currently processing applicatons received in June 2011. processing times currently stands at in excess of 30 weeks. if you are waiting and have no income, or insufficent income, you should go to your local CWO to apply for an SWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 th23

i am waiting 18 weeks on carers allowance. how long does it actually take. do they visit your house, or does the person have to b interviewed, why the long wait??????

th23 wrote: »
    i am waiting 18 weeks on carers allowance. how long does it actually take. do they visit your house, or does the person have to b interviewed, why the long wait??????

there is loads of people putting in for carers allowance and they might have a shortage of staff.

i myself was waithing almost 1.5 years, but i was turned down first, and i had to appeal it. so each case would be different.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

jamescc wrote: »
    hi I applied on the 13Th of may 2010. I got a reply back after a few weeks saying that I would not get it but I could appeal it , I did that i got another letter saying they got a letter back saying that it would be some time before my appeal was heard. I went on a oral hearing on the 5Th of Jan 2012. I won my case and all is being back dated. I would suggest that you keep any letters, from them. doctors letters etc.. I took almost 2 yrs for me to be sorted out . I am now getting paid of the carers allowance section and am still waiting on the back payment and that could take a while yet.

I hope that you will not be turned down I do not know your particulars . I hope that this helps.

I would suggest that you have a letter ready. Just if they do turn you down.
    I applied in sept 2011 and am
    Now waiting 22 weeks for decision on carers allowance ( half rate) i rang and was told to expect wait up to 30 weeks! My concern is i dont live wth my parents and if was awarded the allowance in april or may would i loose out on the household benefit package which is no longer available to
    New applicants from April
    /012 ?

Hi I applied in sept 2011 and am
    Now waiting 22 weeks for decision on carers allowance ( half rate) i rang and was told to expect wait up to 30 weeks! My concern is i dont live wth my parents and if was awarded the allowance in april or may would i loose out on the household benefit package which is no longer available to
    New applicants from April 2012 even though my application along with thousands of others has been sitting in the office since last year? I dont tink
    Ive ever heard of any alowance to take as long as carers, to be awarded neverind if have to appeal!!!!!!

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I spoke to carers allowance just this week. they are currently processing applicatons received in June 2011. processing times currently stands at in excess of 30 weeks. if you are waiting and have no income, or insufficent income, you should go to your local CWO to apply for an SWA.

That is excellent information, thank you, I applied in October 2011, and 4 weeks ago got all my documentation back in the post, Your application has been received in the relevant section and they will be in touch with you shortly, I assumed that meant it was being processed, guess not, and it will be a lot longer then I thought.

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »

That is excellent information, thank you, I applied in October 2011, and 4 weeks ago got all my documentation back in the post, Your application has been received in the relevant section and they will be in touch with you shortly, I assumed that meant it was being processed, guess not, and it will be a lot longer then I thought.

Ive heard of some people get their documents back and same letter, some who have applied after me ... I have recieved no correspondance at all and the only way i knew my app was recieved was when i rang about a month later!!! I rang again today and got through to staff member who did not even ask for my ppsn no. Askd when i applied and when i said september she just said we are only on june it will be a while yet .... I know they probably inundated with calls but surely a bit of courtesy would go a long way ... Its frustrating enough waiting to hear from them without this but then again as i said they are probably fed up people ringing!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Someone close to me waited 2 years. It was denied. So then she appealed, and it finally went through. So really, you could be waiting a long long while.

fufureida wrote: »
    Someone close to me waited 2 years. It was denied. So then she appealed, and it finally went through. So really, you could be waiting a long long while.

Yes ive heard that alright .. Surely applications should be informed theyve been refused at an earlier stage instead of waiting up to a year in some cases ...

Linda dub wrote: »
    Ive heard of some people get their documents back and same letter, some who have applied after me ... I have recieved no correspondance at all and the only way i knew my app was recieved was when i rang about a month later!!! I rang again today and got through to staff member who did not even ask for my ppsn no. Askd when i applied and when i said september she just said we are only on june it will be a while yet .... I know they probably inundated with calls but surely a bit of courtesy would go a long way ... Its frustrating enough waiting to hear from them without this but then again as i said they are probably fed up people ringing!

That is so weird that I applied after you and got that letter and my documents back, I guess all we can do is wait and if anyone hears anything back just update this thread, that way we all have an idea of what's going on with the welfare office and we don't have to keep ringing for information if we share and it will keep this thread active for all the other people out there who are waiting to hear back from the Carer's Allowance Section.

That is so weird that I applied after you and got that letter and my documents back, I guess all we can do is wait and if anyone hears anything back just update this thread, that way we all have an idea of what's going on with the welfare office and we don't have to keep ringing for information if we share and it will keep this thread active for all the other people out there who are waiting to hear back from the Carer's Allowance Section.

I agree at least we can give or recieve feedback from others who are in same position as ourselves ... I was told good while back that my application was on a new system and might be less time waiting than the thirteen week wait !!!!!! Anyhow turns out only a few staff trained to use new system and they are only days ahead of applicants on the old system... So its really all the one really ..... I will update if and when i hear anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Waiting time has increased terribly in the past while...

When I applied in Sept. 2007 for Half-Rate Carers Allowance, I had my payment on the 20th of Dec., and a cheque for the back payment on Christmas Eve...

I wish everyone here all the very best in their applications... Caring's hard enough without additional money worries...

Darth...

Contacted carers yet again on diffrent issue yesterday got bit further info too... Seems i applied for each my parents on seperate forms as required and all my documents hve been scanned thru system
    Bt my mothers medical report is missing ... How wen everythng was stapled together and medical report actually part of form is missing.. Awaitng call baxk... Also reason i didnt get documents bk was i didnt need send bith or marraige certs etc... Any documnts i sent in are kept... Still another ten to twelve weeks of waiting tho !!!!!

Contacted carers yet again on diffrent issue yesterday got bit further info too... Seems i applied for each my parents on seperate forms as required and all my documents hve been scanned thru system
    Bt my mothers medical report is missing ... How wen everythng was stapled together and medical report actually part of form is missing.. Awaitng call baxk... Also reason i didnt get documents bk was i didnt need send bith or marraige certs etc... Any documnts i sent in are kept... Still another ten to twelve weeks of waiting tho !!!!!

Is the ten to twelve more weeks you have to wait to do with the fact that the medical report is missing or just more processing time? Probably took the staple off some reason like to photocopy and didn't use a paper clip to keep it all together. I sincerely hope they find it and it does not hold things up for you if you have to resubmit a new one or wait until they find it.

Is the ten to twelve more weeks you have to wait to do with the fact that the medical report is missing or just more processing time? Probably took the staple off some reason like to photocopy and didn't use a paper clip to keep it all together. I sincerely hope they find it and it does not hold things up for you if you have to resubmit a new one or wait until they find it.

No nothing to do with lost forms thats waiting time as still work on begin july... God only knows how long will take if have to resubmit forms .. So frustrating !

Just got letter frm carers due to scanning error my mothers medical report cannot be viewed by medical officer.... Hve to go get new medical report from her Gp and if not returned within 21 days my application will be closed!!!!! I am fit to be tied at this stage !!!!! Thier mistake not mine ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 subkulture

I applied for carers allowance in August 2011, specifically for the care of my mother. The application was returned to me a month later as i has also included details of father without medical report. I am only making one application to care for my mother only but I wanted to show that my more able bodied yet 85 year father was also living with us so that they would see that I have more work on my hands. Once that was clarified, the forms were returned by Sept 30th and I got a text acknowledgment a few days later that they have received forms and are processing it.

I contacted the office last week (around 16th Feb 2012) and was told that they are currently processing June/July 2011 applications at present, but that the application i sent has been forwarded for medical assessment, dated from August 31st 2011. So my estimate, should application be successful, is that i should hear word sometime in April or May...fingers crossed. So 8 months is so far sounding about right. But I am dreading being told 'Its a no', as i am currently on JSA, and i do hear conflicting reports about whether those on JSA can get CA

Its worth noting though that currently a new administrative system is being put in place (including software updates etc) which they claim will make applications more quickly and efficiently processed. Not sure how that is working but applications prior to Sept 2011 will be dealt with the older way, and that backlog has to be cleared first before the new systems comes into play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement