Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Out of Office' Rule in Outlook 2002 - Question

• 17-08-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

I have set up an Out of Office rule in my Outlook 2002 mail program.

It was setup as per the instructions described here> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311107/

I got a friend to send an email and they received my Out of Office reply immediately.

However, I got them to try again when the computer was turned off.

Maybe the answer to this is obvious, but does my computer have to be switched on to perform this task, or is this an Eircom server issue?

Obviously, leaving the computer on during my two weeks of holidays is a no-no!

Thanks.

D.

ps. This is a home computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lets see... you create an "out of office" rule on your PC, and you're surprised that it doesn't work when your PC is turned off? o.O

Yes, you're correct, your PC must be turned on for this to work. In the case of large offices, sometimes their PC can be off as the "out of office" is set on the mail server, rather than on the persons PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

the_syco wrote:
    Yes, you're correct, your PC must be turned on for this to work. In the case of large offices, sometimes their PC can be off as the "out of office" is set on the mail server, rather than on the persons PC.

Which explains why my wife can do this from her office computer.

Bummer!

I assume there is no way around this?

Anything I can avail of with Eircom?

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Dinarius wrote:
    Anything I can avail of with Eircom?

No. Contrary to popular belief ;) Eircom aren't helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just Googled this>

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000596.htm

Any use to me?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

Not unless you leave your machine on while you are away or have an ms exchange server (which must be left on) there is nothing you can do bar begging eircom to make an exception for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement