Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Never mind the ChristmasFM site perfectly answered my question.

Christmas FM will begin broadcasting on FM on Thursday November 28th 2019 at 1pm and will finish broadcasting on FM on Friday December 27th. The station will continue online and on digital until December 31st. The station will then operate a sustaining service online from January 1st throughout the year.

So I will have it for my journey back to Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Fair play to them having a live broadcast again for Christmas Day. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A reminder that while the FM broadcast stops tonight there is live programming on mobile, tablets, online and smart speakers right up to New Years.

It doesn't even feel like a week since they started broadcasting! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The daughter is going to be upset, she has had it on all night and every night since went live.
    She was even listening to the online version too before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Will be sad having to re-tune my radios later. Once again a great year for Christmas FM and so much raised for another great cause

All good things have to come to an end, but hey won't feel November 2020 coming up on top of us at all :)

The daughter is going to be upset, she has had it on all night and every night since went live.
    She was even listening to the online version too before hand.

Online will still have live shows for the next few days :)

And it’s available online all year minus the live programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Loughc wrote: »
    Online will still have live shows for the next few days :)

And it’s available online all year minus the live programming.

Oh yes I know, it's just she likes the radio version, I have to endure it in the car ;-)

Great way to close out the FM broadcast.
    Our 'Cool 40 Countdown' is now live on-air until 7pm. Join us as we play the definitive list of Christmas songs based on your texts, emails, and messages into the studio!

Just back from walking the dog while listening to the top 40. I’d lying if I said I didn’t have a lump in my throat when Bing Cosby came on and the peace on the roads it felt lovely out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Countdown seems a bit bonkers... Driving at Home for Christmas at #19 and John Legend(!) in top 10...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Always saddens me to hear the broadcast go silent at the end of each year, as one of those folks that only listens to the fm broadcasts it seems like the 11 months without it last forever, but funnily seems to go faster every year and forms a great focal point in the build up each year... so whilst it represents the end of another year I look forward to awaiting its return in nov. 2020.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Countdown seems a bit bonkers... Driving at Home for Christmas at #19 and John Legend(!) in top 10...

If anyone is still listening can you let me know what number 1 is please :)

I'll tune in until 7. :(

Fairytale is no. 1 of course. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Fairytale is no. 1 of course. :)

order is restored...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They played It's Coming Home (Alfie Hudson-Taylor) & Baby It's Cold Outside (Dean Martin) during the Countdown but not sure if they were part of the Top 40 or not. Things got a bit random at times.

These were all in the Top 10:
    Happy Xmas - John Lennon
    Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
    Felice Navidad - José Feliciano
    Sleigh Ride - The Ronettes

#4 Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams
    #3 Last Christmas - Wham
    #2 All I Was For Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
    #1 Fairytale of New York - Pogues

Then they re-played "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" which was the opening song back in November.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Waaaaah. :(

And just like that it's over for another year.

The post Christmas FM silence seems to come around more quickly every year.

• Advertisement

Then they re-played "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" which was the opening song back in November.

Not going to lie to you I clicked on just as that started to play and immediately teared up. Brought me straight to the excitement back at the end of November when the build up was reaching fever pitch.

The post Christmas FM silence seems to come around more quickly every year.

But November seems to come around quicker and quicker too.

Always the glass half full to my glass half empty! :pac:

Always the glass half full to my glass half empty! :pac:

But together full glass :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They played It's Coming Home (Alfie Hudson-Taylor) & Baby It's Cold Outside (Dean Martin) during the Countdown but not sure if they were part of the Top 40 or not. Things got a bit random at times.

These were all in the Top 10:
    Happy Xmas - John Lennon
    Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
    Felice Navidad - José Feliciano
    Sleigh Ride - The Ronettes

#4 Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams
    #3 Last Christmas - Wham
    #2 All I Was For Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
    #1 Fairytale of New York - Pogues

Yeah Wham, Mariah, and the Pogues are generally the universal top 3 in these things! Fair play

Great to see Feliz Navidad doing so well, what a belter. I really loved Kylie's song this year aswell. Was great to see both getting an airing on the Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special this year too!

So ChristmasFM just rang me. Apparently I won €100 one for all voucher on Stephens Day. I’m delighted. I texted a lot this year I didn’t even know about the prize on Stephens day I was just texting to use up credit and to donate.

So ChristmasFM just rang me. Apparently I won €100 one for all voucher on Stephens Day. I’m delighted. I texted a lot this year I didn’t even know about the prize on Stephens day I was just texting to use up credit and to donate.

Fair play loughc, couldn't have gone to a more fitting winner. You can treat yourself to something nice now in the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DvB wrote: »
    Fair play loughc, couldn't have gone to a more fitting winner. You can treat yourself to something nice now in the sales.

White Company candle! :D

Woohoo, that's great! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well done to you - congratulations :)

Advertisement