Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Listowel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

By the way, the Quiz is also over on 'you know where'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The irony.

ya I know
    next I will be giving out about the street collectors in the middle of the road at the small square

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

murphy1_972358t.jpg
    getimage.aspx?file=61452011101200000000001001&page=1&scale=38

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ya I know
    next I will be giving out about the street collectors in the middle of the road at the small square

Don't let me hold you back.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

After seeing this I read the blog in question. It is fantastic and great to see something positive coming from the town. It seems this country is made up of two types of people,those who do and those who cannot be bothered so they just criticize.

I don't know what harm Cherrytree's blog was doing to anyone either. I often took a peek at it myself and found it to be quite interesting.

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    I don't know what harm Cherrytree's blog was doing to anyone either. I often took a peek at it myself and found it to be quite interesting.
    Would have been no problem if he had just left the first link and a little introduction to the blog. Anyone that was interested would have followed the link and checked back every week for updates.

No need to use this forum as a second blog!

ya I know
    So your a new user that comes on here to praise the blog, but has nothing to say on any other forum about anything else! ;)

So your a new user that comes on here to praise the blog, but has nothing to say on any other forum about anything else! ;)

He only came on to criticise people for criticising.:(

There should be two Listowel threads, the second one where we can have a good old moan.:pac:

looks like you and ejmaztec have a lovely little Laurel and Hardy act going on,or is it the two in the balcony at the muppets.:) Well yes I am new to boards if thats ok with you two. Ye will have to forgive me while I find my feet and get with the programme.What is the whole process about. Do I pick a subject out of thin air or do I wait to comment on something interesting I see. And don't get your nose in the air over the muppets comment, a sense of humour goes a long way in this world.:)

• Advertisement

looks like you and ejmaztec have a lovely little Laurel and Hardy act going on,or is it the two in the balcony at the muppets.:) Well yes I am new to boards if thats ok with you two. Ye will have to forgive me while I find my feet and get with the programme.What is the whole process about. Do I pick a subject out of thin air or do I wait to comment on something interesting I see. And don't get your nose in the air over the muppets comment, a sense of humour goes a long way in this world.:)
    Welcome to Boards Miss Piggy! ;)

We're not a double-act, we're just victims of society with persecution complexes.:(

...I've tried "sense of humour", but that didn't work, so I just plod along with cynicism.

While the ladies get on with their back biting, hair pulling and general moaning, I hope the rest will carry on, trying to answer a few of the Listowel Quiz Questions, and by the way, my personal interest is in the Listowel thread only, I could'nt be bothered, in snooping around, opinionated, sticking my nose in other threads.
    And by the way, the quiz questions are featured on, you know where,on you know what. Answers by Friday, and as we used say in the bandsroom, many moon's ago, be up or shut up !!!

boroman wrote: »
    While the ladies get on with their back biting, hair pulling and general moaning, I hope the rest will carry on, trying to answer a few of the Listowel Quiz Questions, and by the way, my personal interest is in the Listowel thread only, I could'nt be bothered, in snooping around, opinionated, sticking my nose in other threads.
    And by the way, the quiz questions are featured on, you know where,on you know what. Answers by Friday, and as we used say in the bandsroom, many moon's ago, be up or shut up !!!

That's an admission of guilt if ever I've heard one.:P

The only thing that I will plead guilty to, 'is by association' with some of the biggest cribbers and moaners on the Listowel thread on boards.ie.:rolleyes:

The only thing that I will plead guilty to, 'is by association' with some of the biggest cribbers and moaners on the Listowel thread on boards.ie.:rolleyes:

They'll be upset when they read that, whoever they are.:(

Them questions are really difficult! Can you put up 2 quizs?

Maybe one for your age group, and another for the under 65s!;)

Age is honourable, knowledge knows no bounds, the local history section at the library will cater for people of all ages, over and under 65. Another few days of swotting left.

It's good to see Listowel getting a new shop:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/
    Listowel Printing Works expands with new Easons branch

Listowel Printing Works is expanding its operations. The company will be opening a branch of Easons in Church Street. 8 jobs have been created as a result. It's the first Easons outlet to open in Listowel. The new store is due to open on December 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

An Easons is no bad thing! Especially with the extra jobs.
    Good to hear this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

Answers to our quiz,

(1) What family occupied the Central Hotel before the Galvin’s?
    (A) The Potter family, who the Galvins married into.

(2) Where could you see “a local Squire being entertained in Listowel ©1842 “?
    (A) The original painting is on view at the Urban Council Office, or anyone with
    Listowel and its Vicinity, the colour plate is between pages, 256 and 257.

(3) There were two hotels in Listowel, known as Commercial, where were they?
    (not the Listowel Arms)
    (A) (1) in 1867, James Collopy had a Commercial Hotel in The Square, where
    Jimmy Deenihan has his office.
    (2) O’Connor’s Commercial Hotel was in Market Street, where Pierces had
    their veterinary practice.

(4) There was also a commercial club, where? Who was the secretary?
    (A) Where ‘Footprints’ is now in Main Street, John Cahill was secretary.

(5) James Butler was a watch and clock repairer, where did he live?
    (A) He lived and worked at 23 Upper William Street.

(6) Where did the Young Ireland Society have their meetings?
    (A) At 63 Church Street, Tarrant’s or The Bon Ton (the name was painted on the
    plinth in the overhead wall)

(7) Where was Listowel’s last Private Hotel?
    (A) Lawler’s, afterwards Ashes in Church Street.

(8) Two of Listowel Pharmacies and part of another one originally had something in
    common, nothing to do with dispensing medicine, what were they?
    (A) 3 Public Houses. Wm. Keane Stack’s, (now Aidan O Connor’s) was a pub ran by
    Jeremiah Foley in 1911. Broderick’s Pharmacy was a pub ran by Edward Cain in
    1901. Thirdly, the William Street addition to McGuire’s Chemist shop (Justin
    Stack’s) was a pub ran by a William McCarthy.

(9) Listowel residents, John McCrystall, George Rice and Gabriel Thorpe had
    something in common, what?
    (A) They were three Listowel physicians and surgeons in 1846.

(10) Listowel’s Royal Hotel was owned by whom?
    (A) Patrick J. Houlihan, 1880s
    Miss Hannah Roche, 1890s

(11) If I was to meet you for a drink in Listowel’s, Hotel Brendan, who’s home would
    we have been in?
    (A) The home of Robert M Danaher, father of Tim Danaher (Gift of Ink). Afterwards
    John Joe Kenny’s and the Castle Bar.

Thanks to all who joined in.

An Easons is no bad thing! Especially with the extra jobs.
    Good to hear this.

Great to see the new blood,particularly after the loss of Donovans,Morkan Tiles and Up from the Square.I wonder how many jobs went there.

Answers to our quiz,

(1) What family occupied the Central Hotel before the Galvin’s?
    (A) The Potter family, who the Galvins married into.

(2) Where could you see “a local Squire being entertained in Listowel ©1842 “?
    (A) The original painting is on view at the Urban Council Office, or anyone with
    Listowel and its Vicinity, the colour plate is between pages, 256 and 257.

(3) There were two hotels in Listowel, known as Commercial, where were they?
    (not the Listowel Arms)
    (A) (1) in 1867, James Collopy had a Commercial Hotel in The Square, where
    Jimmy Deenihan has his office.
    (2) O’Connor’s Commercial Hotel was in Market Street, where Pierces had
    their veterinary practice.

(4) There was also a commercial club, where? Who was the secretary?

(5) James Butler was a watch and clock repairer, where did he live?
    (A) He lived and worked at 23 Upper William Street.

(6) Where did the Young Ireland Society have their meetings?
    (A) At 63 Church Street, Tarrant’s or The Bon Ton (the name was painted on the
    plinth in the overhead wall)

(7) Where was Listowel’s last Private Hotel?
    (A) Lawler’s, afterwards Ashes in Church Street.

(8) Two of Listowel Pharmacies and part of another one originally had something in
    common, nothing to do with dispensing medicine, what were they?
    (A) 3 Public Houses. Wm. Keane Stack’s, (now Aidan O Connor’s) was a pub ran by
    Jeremiah Foley in 1911. Broderick’s Pharmacy was a pub ran by Edward Cain in
    1901. Thirdly, the William Street addition to McGuire’s Chemist shop (Justin
    Stack’s) was a pub ran by a William McCarthy.

(9) Listowel residents, John McCrystall, George Rice and Gabriel Thorpe had
    something in common, what?
    (A) They were three Listowel physicians and surgeons in 1846.

(10) Listowel’s Royal Hotel was owned by whom?
    (A) Patrick J. Houlihan, 1880s
    Miss Hannah Roche, 1890s

(11) If I was to meet you for a drink in Listowel’s, Hotel Brendan, who’s home would
    we have been in?
    (A) The home of Robert M Danaher, father of Tim Danaher (Gift of Ink). Afterwards
    John Joe Kenny’s and the Castle Bar.

Thanks to all who joined in.

Its back to the library for me. I only got 2 right. Did anyone get them all. If so they should be put down. Thanks for the challenge. Looking forward to more

I think that most of the contributers will have to attend classes at the local history section of our local library, the top reply got two and a half out of eleven, just a half a point more than next highest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭_Beau_

Does anyone know a Listowel taxi who would collect booze and bring it to my house?

I know it's a long shot, but...

_Beau_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know a Listowel taxi who would collect booze and bring it to my house?

i assume any of them will once you pay them. Try fitzpatricks

_Beau_ wrote: »

Must be thirsty work knocking out all of those posts in such a short space of time.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭_Beau_

Aye, it's practically a full-time job. :p

Cheers for the tip, ifitburwilll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

4) There was also a commercial club, where? Who was the secretary?

Was this building a bakery at some stage (Kearney's?)

Advertisement