Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peaky Blinders - BBC

• 09-04-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.endemoldistribution.com/content/titles.aspx?productid=83090

An epic gangster family saga boasting a distinguished cast that includes Cillian Murphy (Inception, The Wind That Shakes The Barley, 28 Days Later), Sam Neill (The Tudors, The Piano, Jurassic Park), Helen McCrory (Hugo, Harry Potter, The Queen), Annabelle Wallis (Snow White and the Huntsman, The Tudors), Paul Anderson (The Firm), Iddo Goldberg (Secret Diary of a Call Girl) and Charlie Creed- Miles (Nil By Mouth, Wild Bill). Writer and dub poet Benjamin Zephaniah also joins the cast.

Created by Steven Knight (Dirty Pretty Things and Eastern Promises), the story begins in 1919 in the lawless slum neighbourhoods of post war Birmingham. Returning soldiers, newlyminted revolutionaries and criminal gangs all fight for survival in an industrial landscape gripped by economic upheaval. Guns smuggled home from the trenches find their way onto the streets and become lethal currency. As Churchill mobilises his Special Branch forces, illegal bookmakers make fortunes in speak-easy betting shops and traumatised infantrymen drink away their shell-shock in riotous ale houses.

There is still a gentler city at the fringes, where gypsies and canal boatmen deal horses and tell fortunes but sitting at the top of this industrial jungle are the extended Shelby family, whose many brothers and sisters, cousins and uncles, make up the fiercest gang of all, the ‘Peaky Blinders’. Named for their practise of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps, the Peaky Blinders make their money from off track betting, protection and robbery.

Trailer also can be view at the above link, looks good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I like the look of this JP Liz, do you know when it's starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Looks fantastic. Read an interview with Murphy recently where he said he wanted to do TV because decent mid sized films are hard to come by these days.

Looking at the quality of some of the TV stuff in recent years I think it's the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

looks good. i heard about this months ago and i heard king nidge joined the cast. also saw chibs from sons of anarchy in the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like the look of this JP Liz, do you know when it's starting?

No air date announced yet but hopefully soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Peaky Blinders premieres BBC Two/BBC Two HD on Thursday September 12th at 9.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

evilivor wrote: »
    Peaky Blinders premieres BBC Two/BBC Two HD on Thursday September 12th at 9.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This looks very promising.

If I had just seen the name 'Peaky Blinders' in the BBC2 listings, I would have expected a knockabout sitcom, maybe starring Vic and Bob. It strikes me as an odd name for a quality drama. Hopefully that's just me, and other people won't be put off by the title

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New trailer:

Looking forward to this actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Can't wait for this looks superb?

• Advertisement

Love/Hate fans should watch out for Tom Vaughan Lawlor in this who plays an IRA man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Me when I saw the name of this... :confused:

But tbh the more I see of it the more interested I am. Quite impressed by the cast so far and the trailers look fantastic. Definitely going on my Watch list for the moment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kyub wrote: »
    Me when I saw the name of this... :confused:

The name does sound like the sort of crap name someone would give a band that they started in college and then be embarrassed about six months later.

However the show looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The name does sound like the sort of crap name someone would give a band that they started in college and then be embarrassed about six months later.
    Yeah, the OP indicates the reasoning for the name:
    .. Named for their practise of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seems like an english Boardwalk Empire

*its on tonight bbc2 @ 9.00*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

tonight? grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Anyone hear the continuity announcer introducing it? "Silly-Ann Murphy"... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Really good. Neill does a great nordie accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Good start. Churchill interested in the robbery - you bet he would have been. I'd image one M. Collins esq. of this parish will be sending a few lads along to check out the merchandise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone hear the continuity announcer introducing it? "Silly-Ann Murphy"... :rolleyes:
    Yeah I heard that. I had to rewind just to make sure I actually heard that.

I really enjoyed it. A little predictable, but gangster shows usually have a pattern to them.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Really good. Neill does a great nordie accent.
    I think he was born in Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

humanji wrote: »

That's interesting. I was curious why they had someone from Down Under playing that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

There's a couple of dodgy accents, and the modern(ish) music is throwing me slightly, but other than that I'm very impressed. Things have been set up nicely for the next episode. Cillian Murphy is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Came across this by chance last night and remembered cillian Murphy talking to ray D'Arcy a few months ago about it. Really enjoyed it last night, looks like it is setting up nicely. Series linked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think the ending would have been stronger if
    he (Freddie?) really was shot, it would have set Tommy Shelby up as a proper cold hearted bastard, although the look he gave his brother after he asked why the family didn't turn rat could freeze hell.

I also thought the explanation of the fixed horse race was a bit "colouring book American" for a BBC show, I'd have preffered if they'd left that to reveal itself over the course of the story.

Overall though, I thought it was excellent.

Is the Commie/Union fella supposed to be a Scouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Have to say I was looking forward to this. But I thought it was rubbish. Plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have to say I was looking forward to this. But I thought it was rubbish. Plain and simple.

care to elaborate ? i thought it was good and it was a solid opening to a new series. the setting is great and the acting is superb most notably murphy and sam neill. i love the music

humanji wrote: »

Indeed but he left when he was seven. Sam's just good at accents ... he's from New Zealand with British parents ... English (he was up for James Bond once), Irish (Mr Gentleman anyone?), Russian (Red October), American (loads) ... he can do them all well.
    ThirdMan wrote: »
    There's a couple of dodgy accents, and the modern(ish) music is throwing me slightly, but other than that I'm very impressed.

I thought the music was going to irritate me but it worked out well, channelling a Gangs of New York vibe there I think.

And I was pleasantly surprised that the Brum accents were noticeable without being caricature-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Any place online to see the first episode again lads? Missed it last night

• Advertisement

I think the BBC iPlayer will probably have it.

Advertisement