Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**Physics...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MatthewRud

finality wrote: »
    But didn't it say repulsive force? Gravitational force is always attractive.

But won't using Coloumb's law give you a positive answer as well? Shouldn't the answer be negative to indicate that it is a force of repulsion?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

Overall I thought it was a fine paper, but very different from previous years in terms of what they gave you. My log book was open on the physical quantities page for like half the exam :P

For once I think I won't end up counting Q5 as I sorta gave sarcastic answers to the rainbow and smoke ones and left out 'due north' in the first part. Luckily it was a sort paper so I had something like 50 mins at the end left so I got another long question done and another part from Q12. Initially I thought there was a huge mistake on the paper in the nuclear question as they gave you no info. Was completely scared off it until the end but it ended up being grand. Overall might have gotten an A1 might not. If I do I'll only be a hair over 90% I'd say. I probably bled marks in all the questions.

Would love if they released some preliminary marking schemes with the papers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

40 mark window, anyone think they got the A1?

If I didn't get an A1 I would be shocked! Sooooooooo happy with how that went :D Turns out I didn't do great in Q5 but I did an extra question so it didn't matter :)

Q8: Did anyone here for (iii) look up the mass for deuterium and tritium in the log tables and multiply it by 'u'? That's what I did and in the end I got something like 3.6 MeV

Q8: for (iv) was I right in letting the charges equal 2(1.6x10^-19) and 3(1.6x10^-19) ?

Q6: for (v) did anyone get 22.3 times greater?

Q6: for (vi) how did you do that? Was it just the weight :confused:

Oh, and 11 marks for a fuse!?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Tankosaur wrote: »
    Air pressure is the same everywhere at the same altitude, otherwise our ears would pop everytime we walked in and out of buildings.

But surely the building has central heating and hot air is less dense than cool air?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ECM2012

subz3r0 wrote: »
    ECM2012 wrote: »
    In the nuclear physics question, if you multiplied the mass of an electron by the mass numbers of 3H and 2H without using the values in the log tables, would you say that's ok?

No, because electrons don't come in to this question at all. They said nuclei.

You will still be given marks for the formula and substituting in and for the unit :)

But when calculating the difference in the mass of reactants and products you need to find the masses of the two nuclei in terms of kg..and to get that u multiply the mass number by the mass of an electron?..or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Wesc. wrote: »

for (v) yes I got that
    was vi the one where he was moving at constant velocity? Whatever they asked you to find equalled the weight, yeah :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

ECM2012 wrote: »
    But when calculating the difference in the mass of reactants and products you need to find the masses of the two nuclei in terms of kg..and to get that u multiply the mass number by the mass of an electron?..or no?

:eek:
    nope. I think you're confusing this with the photoelectric effect and thermionic emission where an electron is accelerated across a cathode ray tube.

here it was all about the E=mc^2 equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

Q8: Did anyone here for (iii) look up the mass for deuterium and tritium in the log tables and multiply it by 'u'? That's what I did and in the end I got something like 3.6 MeV

Q8: for (iv) was I right in letting the charges equal 2(1.6x10^-19) and 3(1.6x10^-19) ?

• I got the masses of protons and neutrons and constructed the masses of the nuclei that way but it amounts to the same thing
    • Yes
    • No but I think I'm wrong so you're probably right :L
    • Yeah forces up = forces down so yeah it's just mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

6 (v) yes the answer is 22.3 = 8.5^2 / 1.8^2

yeah the answer to (vii) was just his weight which was 180kg x g ( 9 .81) which is 1760 N.

Acceleration = 0 therfore upthrust - weight = 0 weight = upthrust.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

If I didn't get an A1 I would be shocked! Sooooooooo happy with how that went :D Turns out I didn't do great in Q5 but I did an extra question so it didn't matter :)

1) I didn't , but I'm certain I got that question wrong.

2) I did the same , don't know if it is right.

3) Yes

4) That was the parachute opening? I did F=ma .

• Advertisement

for (v) yes I got that
    was vi the one where he was moving at constant velocity? Whatever they asked you to find equalled the weight, yeah :L

Yeah it was the upthrust. But like since he was moving down wouldn't the upthrust have been less than the weight? But then the force was 0 so they're equal... :S Well I just said it was the weight anyway so hopefully that's right!

Oh, thanks to everyone else too..

mathstalk wrote: »
    But surely the building has central heating and hot air is less dense than cool air?

At a constant pressure (charles's law) ( atmospheric pressure) hot air is less dense than cold air. Temperature has no effect on pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Yeah it was the upthrust. But like since he was moving down wouldn't the upthrust have been less than the weight? But then the force was 0 so they're equal... :S Well I just said it was the weight anyway so hopefully that's right!

when forces are balanced an object will either be at rest or remain moving at constant velocity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

for (v) yes I got that

Nothing to do with speed, forces are to do with acceleration.
    He was moving with contant velocity, ie a=0.

Therefore, by F=ma, Fnet = 0. So forces up = forces down.

You're right, don't worry :)

when forces are balanced an object will either be at rest or remain moving at constant velocity :)

Newton's First Law ;)
    And ya beat me too it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Why though? Both deuterium and the tritium have one proton each and neutrons have a charge of 0. Why do you multiply the Mass number by the charge?

My answers for q 11

(a) 8 times more ( 2^3)
    (b) it says in the description not all the air can be slowed down therefore not all the energy is extracted
    (c) definition of induction
    (d) transformer's ( my teacher said this was right)
    (e) the intensity is halfed ( decrease in level of 3b halfs the sound intensity)
    (f) calculation edit: answer was 20 pi ?
    (g)rectifiers ( teacher said the was also correct) diodes also work
    (h) hydro energy, wave energy, geothermal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I have no idea what any of you are on about with electrons etc. I'd say for that question since it was a touch confusing with the not having the values like normal, will be pretty leniantly.

At a constant pressure (charles's law) ( atmospheric pressure) hot air is less dense than cold air. Temperature has no effect on pressure.

Remember the crushed can experiment? I just thought of the building as the can (containing the hot air). So I deduced that the outside air is pushing on the can (the building), and thus causing air from outside to enter it, bringing the smoke along with it.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Why though? Both deuterium and the tritium have one proton each and neutrons have a charge of 0. Why do you multiply the Mass number by the charge?

Erm, I don't know :o Even if that was correct when I multiplied 2 by 3 I said the answer was 5 hahaha :P But yeah I'd say I got it wrong anyway, sure it'd only be I'd say 3 marks gone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

How did you find the average velocity ? Got completely mixed up for this part .. The rest of the question was fine thou. :confused:

clio94 wrote: »
    How did you find the average velocity ? Got completely mixed up for this part .. The rest of the question was fine thou. :confused:

Distance travelled over time taken.

Displacement divided by time. It's actually so easy, and I was doing confusing stuff to find it out. Took me like 5 minutes to figure it out. Thank fúck for Dad's Silly Triangle!!

The pressure decreases due to escaping air, when the lid is off hot air rises leaving a volume of x in the can, when the air cools the particles that make up x remain the same but the volume decreases, therefore the pressure decreases crushing the can
    mathstalk wrote: »
    Remember the crushed can experiment? I just thought of the building as the can (containing the hot air). So I deduced that the outside air is pushing on the can (the building), and thus causing air from outside to enter it, bringing the smoke along with it.

Average speed is just distance / time taken

This is how I did it.
    First I got the initial speed by using v=u+at where u=0, a= 9.7552 (I think?) and t=13
    Then I subtracted the total distance from 5000 and my answer for (iii)
    Then I used s=ut + 1/2at^2 to get a (wasn't sure on this)
    Then I used v=u +at again to get final speed and then added that to initial and divided by 2

The pressure decreases due to escaping air, when the lid is off hot air rises leaving a volume of x in the can, when the air cools the particles that make up x remain the same but the volume decreases, therefore the pressure decreases crushing the can

God, why couldn't you have been my Physics teacher! Hopefully I'll get some attempt marks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Cathalog wrote: »
    Displacement divided by time. It's actually so easy, and I was doing confusing stuff to find it out. Took me like 5 minutes to figure it out. Thank fúck for Dad's Silly Triangle!!

Well that makes its pretty easy .. Applied maths brain making everything over complicated ! Il get marks for my theory :P

This is how I did it.
    First I got the initial speed by using v=u+at where u=0, a= 9.7552 (I think?) and t=13
    Then I subtracted the total distance from 5000 and my answer for (iii)
    Then I used s=ut + 1/2at^2 to get a (wasn't sure on this)
    Then I used v=u +at again to get final speed and then added that to initial and divided by 2

The question said after the first 13 seconds " he fell 5km in the next 4 minutes and 36 seconds"

To find average speed you just divide distance by time

5000/2760 = 18.1 metres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Cathalog wrote: »
    I did (V + u)/2. :S

• Advertisement

The question said after the first 13 seconds " he fell 5km in the next 4 minutes and 36 seconds"

To find average speed you just divide distance by time

5000/2760 = 18.1 metres

The question says: Only 4 minutes and 36 seconds more were needed to bring him down to 5km, where his parachute....

I assumed he was 5km above the ground?

Advertisement