Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possibility of more cold weather from the 9th of March

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Metcheck - Waterford - March - Paddy's Weekend

If you look at the Paddy's Day weekend forecast on Metcheck, the Donegal Postman seems spot on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Normally I'm all for it but have friends over next week and was hoping for similar weather to this week! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Trotter wrote: »
    Metcheck - Waterford - March - Paddy's Weekend

If you look at the Paddy's Day weekend forecast on Metcheck, the Donegal Postman seems spot on! :D
    I'd rather guess the forecast than rely on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Apologies if this link has already been posted but our Donegal postman reckons we are in for a White Paddies Day!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/postman-predicts-a-white-st-patricks-day-2569468.html

He's been wrong already this year. Keep predicting things and eventually you'll get one right. Maybe he'll get lucky on this one and then be on to every media outlet willing to listen saying how he is right once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

dsmythy wrote: »
    He's been wrong already this year. Keep predicting things and eventually you'll get one right. Maybe he'll get lucky on this one and then be on to every media outlet willing to listen saying how he is right once more.
    He did get it wrong indeed for Mid January, cant see it being a white st.paddys myself.
    But they listen to him for a reason, his forecasts were very accurate here over the years ,its only in the last year or 2 everyone else has been hearing about him on the papers and the tv outside of Donegal. I have seen him on the local paper a lot over the years, His predictions for many cold and snow periods were right so dont be too quick to dismiss him just because he got one wrong. That goes for other forecasters too. Remember hes observiing the nature in Donegal and making weather preditions from that so dont take his predictions too serious if you live in Cork or Kerry. It might snow in Donegal on St.Paddys and not anywhere else and the rest of yas will say he got it wrong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

I suppose Sky news is not reliable but it has Donegal, the northern coastline and Scotland covered in snow animation ( :D ) in their weather forecast at the minute ... starting around 3am and hanging around until 6 or 7am I think... you know what they say tho ... snow animation is better than no snow at all... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

i wont say i predicted this on pages 1 and 2 of this thread, but it looks like its back to dry and sunny weather after this week is out :D;).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure what the story is, but my phone is telling me that the weather in navan at the moment is 'flurries' (complete with frosty screen & snowflakes:D). :eek:

screenshot_8.jpg

i'm in dublin right now tho, so i can't say how accurate that is, but i have a feeling if there was even a hint of snow down there that someone would be on here like a shot to tell everyone. :)

i checked my snowcam, but after it turned milder i moved it and now i can only see the inside of my pooter room, so that's no good to me either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

Ah superstar postman weathermen.
    Remind me of superstar economists :D

Predictions all over the place for years and eventually you get one right for a big event. People think you are God. They conveniently forget all the wrong predictions that have come and gone.

The best way to make a name for yourself. Go against the what everyone else predicts. When eventually you are right, people will think you are the only one who knows what he is talking about.

vibe666 wrote: »
    not sure what the story is, but my phone is telling me that the weather in navan at the moment is 'flurries' (complete with frosty screen & snowflakes:D). :eek:

screenshot_8.jpg

i'm in dublin right now tho, so i can't say how accurate that is, but i have a feeling if there was even a hint of snow down there that someone would be on here like a shot to tell everyone. :)

i checked my snowcam, but after it turned milder i moved it and now i can only see the inside of my pooter room, so that's no good to me either. :(

i can tell you its sunny but very breezy at the moment, with not even a hint of snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

i wont say i predicted this on pages 1 and 2 of this thread, but it looks like its back to dry and sunny weather after this week is out :D;).
    and every other thread since january :rolleyes:

delw wrote: »
    and every other thread since january :rolleyes:

i dont get what your on about and i guess you dont want to explain, so i'll have a guess its something to do with predictions, if its based on the weather threads, all i'm doing is having a bit of craic with all the charts that are put up showing snow and frost, 4-5 days in advance. but if its not that, and as it looks like your following my posts since january anyway, i'm sure you'll explain, or maybe not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There is no snow coming this week, next week or anytime again until next Winter. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

i dont get what your on about and i guess you dont want to explain, so i'll have a guess its something to do with predictions, if its based on the weather threads, all i'm doing is having a bit of craic with all the charts that are put up showing snow and frost, 4-5 days in advance. but if its not that, and as it looks like your following my posts since january anyway, i'm sure you'll explain, or maybe not :rolleyes:
    what i mean is every thread since january you(&in fairness not just you) any mention of snow & you have posted "predictions" like its never goina happen or will be sunny next week or no more snow till next winter
    thats all well& good but give the rest of us some credit as WE can see the thrend as well but we'r just holding on to that little glimmer of hope that we'l get a final snowie blast then im sure all snow lovers will look forward to basking in the glourious spring/summer that we hopefully will get :)

edit: & i havnt been following your posts iv been follwoing the threads that your posts are in,
    above post is prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i can tell you its sunny but very breezy at the moment, with not even a hint of snow
    ah well, we live in hope. :)

delw wrote: »
    what i mean is every thread since january you(&in fairness not just you) any mention of snow & you have posted "predictions" like its never goina happen or will be sunny next week or no more snow till next winter
    thats all well& good but give the rest of us some credit as WE can see the thrend as well but we'r just holding on to that little glimmer of hope that we'l get a final snowie blast then im sure all snow lovers will look forward to basking in the glourious spring/summer that we hopefully will get :)

edit: & i havnt been following your posts iv been follwoing the threads that your posts are in,
    above post is prime example

well then i apologise for being realistic, my posts were not meant to upset you or anybody, and i will refrain from posting anymore realistic and negative posts on these ''potential and possibly'' threads that will dash that little glimmer of hope for snow that you have.

This place is more like the after hours forum at this stage Im afraid, every time I come on there is anti snow campaigners argueing with snow lovers. Why cant you all just accept that people love snow and get over it. Id rather love something than hate it . ;)
    You dont see snow lovers coming on the spring threads and saying there is not a hint of sunshine for the week ahead yipee yada yada yada... Its provocative.

One last point, for someone to say its realistic to say there will be no more snow is wrong, its realistic to say we havnt a clue whats ahead of us. Weather can bring us anything.
    Rant/

Pangea wrote: »

One last point, for someone to say its realistic to say there will be no more snow is wrong, its realistic to say we havnt a clue whats ahead of us. Weather can bring us anything.
    Rant/

i love snow as much as the next person, and i'm not arguing with anybody, but when we get to the end feburuary into march, i would say its fairly realistic to say that snow like november and december is not going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You dont see snow lovers coming on the spring threads and saying there is not a hint of sunshine for the week ahead yipee yada yada yada... Its provocative. /

maybe we should then...?

i love snow as much as the next person, and i'm not arguing with anybody, but when we get to the end feburuary into march, i would say its fairly realistic to say that snow like november and december is not going to happen

I never said snow like November and December , I said snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well, for the record it snowed here last night, didnt stick but there was wet snow when I went to bed. Agreed with pangea though, the place has been embarassing recently

Wouldn't hurt if people didnt keep starting snow threads at the slightest hint of it in FI

I never said snow like November and December , I said snow.

i never said you did, look at the 1st post of the thread, it includes the words possible snowfest, my point is any snow that falls now would be nothing compared to the november and december snowfest.

i never said you did
    Yeah but you did quote my post and reply saying it is realistic to say there wont be snow like November or Decemember.

Thats a different point to the one I was making.
    Of course we know that the snow that falls now with be nothing compared to the big freeze, but you could easily get a few inches up in northern counties this time of year. The original posts in this thread have nothing to do with me or the point im making.

I wasnt strictly talking about you I was refering to posts like these that are not realistic.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    There is no snow coming this week, next week or anytime again until next Winter. End of story.

P.S There is snow on top of the Barnesmore gap hills today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Those who dont like snow( @ this time of year) just simply dont come into this forum and start giving out!

Mods please do ur job.

Its a weather thread for gods sake , anything can happen . If some1 says " i hope its gonna snow " ( as i would clearly be saying ) ... dont barge in on them and start a whole rant about things.

I agree wit Pangea.... let snow lovers love there snow, let spring lovers love there spring.. and so on so fort.

Now... wers that wintry bbc forecast gone.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Those who dont like snow

Jeeees, yer like a whirlwind blowing through with that post ..... tongue in cheek

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the alarm on my weather station handset is going mental here - every few mins the alarm is going off between record wind gusts and temps:o

A8AmI.jpg

Is it safe to come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

A8AmI.jpg

Is it safe to come in?

sssshhh, if you are quiet !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Anyone Remember March 1985?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The mean temp for this winter (at Dublin Airport, my nearest ME station) was 3.5c. Last winter it was 2.5c.

i'll always take a technically milder winter, that produces far more snow, than a colder one that has less snow and less severe temperatures overall. still it would be rather boring, if we all shared the same criteria for what constitutes memorable weather.

ps. what i mean by a technically milder winter, is a winter that is in fact milder than a previous winter, but the prevailing perception is that it was a cold winter due to a prolonged cold outbreak.

Advertisement