Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

According to the Board there's nearly 2,000 new hurling season ticket holders. That's a massive jump from the apparent 500 or so last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The football was put to bed in the first 15 mins. 5 point lead in those conditions was never going to be pegged back. Comer is unstoppable when he plays like that. Thought we were poor in the second half, no idea how to use the extra man. Still a great win overall. Kerin, O'Ceallagh and Bradshaw at the back we're good. Not exactly a great advertisement for Tuam, the struggle to get into the ground

spurshero wrote: »
    According to a poster above there was only 2 windows open to purchase tickets . Persume that's why

I missed about 10-15mins getting in though it tapered off behind me.
    You had to be 20-25 mins early to get in on time.

Everybody performed well though Sean Kelly was probably poorest but we'll give him time with it being an intro.

Sean Andy caught two lovely high balls. He's lethal in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Everybody performed well though Sean Kelly was probably poorest but we'll give him time with it being an intro.

Kelly is way way too light for this level at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

How were the kick outs today?

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    How were the kick outs today?

Not much different in terms of player movement anyway.

Lavelle at least was replicating Cluxton having the ball ready and legging it out to place it but too many went to a contest in the end.
    Players are still all very static and running with backs to Lavelle.

He pinged a few nice ones to a free man but that was more a nod to have ability than a planned move.
    At one point near the end Kerin was free out the corner but it was kicked long,lost and Tyrone closed to 2 soon after.

Was also very little pressure on Tyrones even with 14.

We don't seem to be doing much different than last year system wise... still packing the defence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Lucky enough escape in the hurling. Hanbury and Glennon swung it bigtime in the last 7 minutes. Some absolutely awful performances from Niall Burke and Flaherty though.

Thought Dolphin and Concannon were decent.

Not much to write home about. They weren't sharp but they're only just back training and Antrim fullback-line was excellent. The performance was sloppy but they rocked Antrim in the end.

Think niall Burke has been carrying an injury since the AI and his training has been limited

Overall I wouldn't really read into performances today, they're barely back hurling and most are probably still running off the beer :) some will settle back in sooner than others

A bit disappointed concannon was the only new name involved. Looks like it'll be a case of same again come championship but surely some new lads are needed to keep the lads honest and bring some fresh hunger.

Is Donohue in all seriousness better than ger o'halloran and Declan Cronin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The football was put to bed in the first 15 mins. 5 point lead in those conditions was never going to be pegged back. Comer is unstoppable when he plays like that. Thought we were poor in the second half, no idea how to use the extra man. Still a great win overall. Kerin, O'Ceallagh and Bradshaw at the back we're good. Not exactly a great advertisement for Tuam, the struggle to get into the ground

Comer is an absolute beast what a player

I see he's been made captain for the year which I think is a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Fine win by the footballers today . Excellent start I firmly believe ye are opperating at the right level . Ye were too good a side for division 2 the tougher ges will stand to ye come championship . Super 8s has to be a target for ye

jr86 wrote: »
    Comer is an absolute beast what a player

I see he's been made captain for the year which I think is a great move.

There weren't too many options for captain really. Shane Walsh can be a bit hit & miss. Conroy was captain before so probably wouldn't make sense to make him captain again. Gary O'Donnell could struggle to get on the team this year (I sense his time might be coming to an end). Bradshaw could have been another option but again, there is a possibility he might not the team come championship (although I think he will). Then you are looking at relatively inexperienced players in other positions on the team. Comer was definitely the natural choice. Division 1 will be a big test for him. He passed that test with flying colours yesterday - it will be interesting to see if he can do the same in the next few matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Think niall Burke has been carrying an injury since the AI and his training has been limited

Overall I wouldn't really read into performances today, they're barely back hurling and most are probably still running off the beer :) some will settle back in sooner than others

A bit disappointed concannon was the only new name involved. Looks like it'll be a case of same again come championship but surely some new lads are needed to keep the lads honest and bring some fresh hunger.

Is Donohue in all seriousness better than ger o'halloran and Declan Cronin?

Definitely not. Not able to play at this level. Would like to see Sean Linnane get a run, Shane Bannon also. Very good minor defender from '15 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Fair play to footballers . Any win espicially away in division one is hard earned. winning tight games makes it sweeter . One more win would see us safe . Anything else is bonus.with a few players to come back things are looking bright for a change

We won again but nothing learned on previous years.

Just kicking the ball out into a packed midfield the whole game and having Donegal win most of our kickouts while completely conceding them towards the end.

Donegal were woeful and there to rack up a big score on yet we had to limp over the line in the end.

We have some very good players and we're good in open play but the restarts are killing us with some bad decision making at times(Walsh not passing back to Heaney, Walsh under hitting at the end etc).

Anyway nothing will change until Walsh leaves so all we can do is enjoy the year while it lasts.

We should at least be in D1 next year with one more win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

It's a credit to the team that they won that game while being absolutely slaughtered at midfield. Did we win a kick-out or break all game long?

There's a lot of talent in this Galway team; some really top class players in the making, and 2/2 on the return to Division 1 bodes well.

elefant wrote: »
    It's a credit to the team that they won that game while being absolutely slaughtered at midfield. Did we win a kick-out or break all game long?

There's a lot of talent in this Galway team; some really top class players in the making, and 2/2 on the return to Division 1 bodes well.

Agree completely.

We would have trounced Donegal were it not for that facet.

Look at the benchmark.. Dublin.

Against Mayo did they concede the kick out at the end?... no they pressed and Clarke put it over the line.

If management fail to replicate what the standard bearers are doing as fundamentals your doomed to failure.

I'm optimistic for the future though. A proper coach who knows the modern game and we could push into that top 3.

We're already a top 6 team and we're not the finished article.

Agree completely.

We would have trounced Donegal were it not for that facet.

Look at the benchmark.. Dublin.

Against Mayo did they concede the kick out at the end?... no they pressed and Clarke put it over the line.

If management fail to replicate what the standard bearers are doing as fundamentals your doomed to failure.

I'm optimistic for the future though. A proper coach who knows the modern game and we could push into that top 3.

We're already a top 6 team and we're not the finished article.

Therein lies the rub. I think it will take regime change to get the optimum out of this panel. No doubting KW's passion and desire to progress, but his (perceived) loyalty to some sub-par players, tardiness to make timely changes and set-in-his-ways tactical approach do seem to be holding the team back. (The length of time it took them to give Ian Burke a chance last year is a case in point.) I wouldn't blame him/them overly so currently as his hand is weakened due to injuries and Corofin, but you just don't get the impression he'll change very quickly from his conservative mindset.

MfMan wrote: »
    Therein lies the rub. I think it will take regime change to get the optimum out of this panel. No doubting KW's passion and desire to progress, but his (perceived) loyalty to some sub-par players, tardiness to make timely changes and set-in-his-ways tactical approach do seem to be holding the team back. (The length of time it took them to give Ian Burke a chance last year is a case in point.) I wouldn't blame him/them overly so currently as his hand is weakened due to injuries and Corofin, but you just don't get the impression he'll change very quickly from his conservative mindset.

They have a new trainer in there this year so you would have to imagine that will change things somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Planning on heading to Pearse for the football Sunday. See tickets are available in SuperValu but only seem to be general admission tickets with no detail on stand tickets. Any idea if you can buy stand tickets or how it will work. Expect there to be a big crowd there from both sides so demand for stand will be high with the weather we've been getting recently.

Planning on heading to Pearse for the football Sunday. See tickets are available in SuperValu but only seem to be general admission tickets with no detail on stand tickets. Any idea if you can buy stand tickets or how it will work. Expect there to be a big crowd there from both sides so demand for stand will be high with the weather we've been getting recently.

mjp wrote: »

The general admission tickets are for stand too. But you might need to be there early to get a seat before it fills up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The general admission tickets are for stand too. But you might need to be there early to get a seat before it fills up.

What kind of crowd are they expecting?I'd imagine it's gonna be pretty big with the tradition associated with the contest and Galway flying high.What's the stand capacity?Roads may be quite dicey tomorrow.

I fear the damage Comer will do on Ger Cafferkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

seligehgit wrote: »
    What kind of crowd are they expecting?I'd imagine it's gonna be pretty big with the tradition associated with the contest and Galway flying high.What's the stand capacity?Roads may be quite dicey tomorrow.

Comers 5 th game In under 2 weeks and all tough games. Need to mind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

spurshero wrote: »
    Comers 5 th game In under 2 weeks and all tough games. Need to mind him.

Crazy stuff,a number of the Mayo,Kerry lads are involved in the Sigerson cup.Brian Howard has opted out to concentrate on the Dublin county team.

Discussion on the GAA hour with Woolly and rightly it was mentioned the decision should be taken out of the hands of the players.

No inter county action and solely colleges games.

Who know what long term damage will be done to the players?

Comer,Cooke and Sean Kelly are due to play Sigerson for Nuig on Tuesday again. Crazy the demand's being put on players nowadays especially on heavy pitches.

Any sign of a Galway team?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

seligehgit wrote: »

Colm Keys had an article in yesterday's Independent saying 5,000 tickets had already been sold.
    If the weather is decent the there could be over 10,000 in attendance. Big if though.

grbear wrote: »
    Colm Keys had an article in yesterday's Independent saying 5,000 tickets had already been sold.
    If the weather is decent the there could be over 10,000 in attendance. Big if though.

Galway gaa released a statement saying they expect the stand to be filled by 115 and no admission to it after that.

MfMan wrote: »
    Any sign of a Galway team?

My guess is it will be there same as last week

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Mellowes are getting hurled out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

jam83 wrote: »
    Mellowes are getting hurled out of it

Spent the first 20 mins playing to Cualas strengths. Need to make it more of a dogfight and go more direct. All the short stuff is playing into Cualas hands. Doing better the last 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement