Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scandanavian DVD store?

• 08-02-2012 5:03pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm trying to track down some Swedish movies online at the moment but it's proving a bit difficult. In particular I want to get some Disney movies in Swedish (I know they exist because I've seen the clips of major songs on youtube :D) but even searching for their Swedish titles (eg Lejonkungen for The Lion King) on ebay.se etc doesn't really yield anything besides the English originals :(.

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an online DVD store (equivalent of HMV or CDWow.ie)? I've used bokus.com before for books and it's brilliant, but they're just for books.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

After much searching I found The Lion King here. Can anyone attest to the reliability of the site? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

That is a reliable site. CDON is really big :pac:
    I buy all my dvds from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The site below is the swedish equivalent to pricerunner.co.uk if you have used that. Its a price comparison website. If you type in say "Lejonkungen" it will give you alternative sites to purchase that movie. I guess not all the suppliers will ship abroad but it might help you source a few movies anyway :)

cdon is a big supplier. No problem with it being dodgy.

http://www.prisjakt.nu/

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying it from discshop as cdon.se needed a personnummer and the .eu version didn't have what I wanted :(

I must bookmark Prisjakt for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

DVDs will often have the film in different languages. You can check on the back of the box. (There will be a 'subtitles' list of languages, and a dubbed list too, so be careful which one you're reading!) I picked up Aladdin not long ago in Tesco that had the whole film dubbed in Danish among other languages.

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    DVDs will often have the film in different languages. You can check on the back of the box. (There will be a 'subtitles' list of languages, and a dubbed list too, so be careful which one you're reading!) I picked up Aladdin not long ago in Tesco that had the whole film dubbed in Danish among other languages.

A lot of DVDs sold here tend to have all sorts of other languages but I've never seen one in Swedish :(. I've seen Zulu and Hindi even! :pac: Quite often there'll be subtitles in Swedish but that's about as good as I've ever found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Generally, only movies for children are dubbed for the Scandinavian languages, so if you want spoken Swedish you need to look for movies produced by Swedes, like Bergman.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Generally, only movies for children are dubbed for the Scandinavian languages, so if you want spoken Swedish you need to look for movies produced by Swedes, like Bergman.

Yeah, but at the moment Disney movies are perfect for my level :pac:. I do have the Millennium trilogy though, really excellent movies! I want to read the books now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

you should defo check your local library, mine has a good few swedish movies, and would also be a great place to look for kids movies that are dubbed in swedish.

Wow great tip! I never even considered that. Thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For anyone with access to Netflix (and even more so the American Netflix), there are a number of Scandinavian titles in there.

Trolljegeren FTW!

Advertisement