Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Marathon for Diabetes Federation

• 26-02-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a little post to say that I am doing the Flora Women's mini marathon on June 1st and attempting to jog it for the first time. All sponsorship will be going to the Diabetes Federation of Ireland and I have a mycharity.ie page set up if anyone would like to contribute to this excellent cause - laser and credit cards accepted.

I am going to make my unfit body do this in as good a time as possible and am paying the extra for a chip so that all sponsors can see that I am working for their contributions!!!!!! (P.S. I have only walked it once before in just under 2 hours so a lot of training will be required!).

For any diabetics and non-diabetics out there that can afford a couple of euro, please log in to my (newly created) sponsorship page - http://www.mycharity.ie/event/niamhbrady_minimarathon/ and if people are interested I will keep you updated on my training and sponsorship here.

Wish me luck.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nice one Niamh, its good to see people taking pro-active steps like you are doing. I'm trying to persuade she who must be obeyed to join me doing it too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Best of luck with that, was thinking of trying and doing something similar for two of my favorite charities...I need to get fit again!

Edit: Doh, Shane, I want to raise money, but not for the 15th of next month, not enough time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

smccarrick wrote: »
    Nice one Niamh, its good to see people taking pro-active steps like you are doing. I'm trying to persuade she who must be obeyed to join me doing it too :)

The one that Niamh is on about is the women only 10km event on 1st June, but there are always a fair number of bearded ladies that sneak into the event as well in drag:
    http://www.womensminimarathon.ie/

So we expect to see pictures if that's the one your aiming for. ;)

There is also a men's only 10km happening on the 4th May in the Phoenix Park:
    http://www.activeeurope.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventDetails_V2&E=73980

Or there is a 5km in the city centre on the 15th I believe, but I cannot find the web page for that at the moment.

Anyway, good luck with you having a go and trying something new and to both keep fit and raise money. Diabetes should not be any reason for you to limit yourself from doing anything. I am type 1 and did the Dublin Marathon last year ( that is the 26.2 mile event :eek: ) so anything is possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I cant see my husband in drag...much as it would be fun! I agree that diabetes should not stop you doing anything, but I have another condition that still tires me. Good luck Niamh, will support your endevour!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

Thanks guys. It won't be my diabetes that slows me down I can tell you - just my lack of fitness. But that's improving, I've lost 6% body fat in the last 4 weeks - nearly 10% on my trunk so by the time June 1st comes God help anyone who gets in my way!!!

Shane - there are never enough men in drag so I think you should do it! The Diabetes Federation are trying to get loads of people so I am bullying as many people as possible to fundraise for them. Apparently it's not a "cool" charity to fundraise for!!!

Aoife, I will see how my fundraising gets on and if it's starting to look good I will contribute some of my sponsorship to another charity for you as you have been great for advice when I needed it.

Right so, I'm off to think of ways to make giving money to diabetes "cool".

• Advertisement

Ah feck it- a wig will probably suffice......
    Fitness is a big prob here too though :(

Ah feck it- a wig will probably suffice......
    Fitness is a big prob here too though :(

Dunno if that'll cut it! My dad - v v v unfit man did it last year in a long blonde wig and fake boobs! He was melting by the end but it was hilarious to look at in photos.

At least wear some pink!

Dunno if that'll cut it! My dad - v v v unfit man did it last year in a long blonde wig and fake boobs! He was melting by the end but it was hilarious to look at in photos.

At least were some pink!

Aoife will be only too happy to lend me some of her pink garments- she loves pink...... Don't think she has anything in a size 42-44 though :D Might have an accident with the laundry this weekend and generate a few new pink garments...... Hmmmm.......

Aoife will be only too happy to lend me some of her pink garments- she loves pink...... Don't think she has anything in a size 42-44 though :D Might have an accident with the laundry this weekend and generate a few new pink garments...... Hmmmm.......

Hi guys, sorry to disappoint you all (especially you Shane) but the Diabetes Federation t-shirts are grey with the logo on them and not pink as we had all longed for!!!!

Any more people decided to do it yet???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I did pass a couple of lads wearing the Diabetes UK kit during the Dublin Marathon, and they do have a pink logo on them. Although probably not pink enough to count as fancy dress. ;)

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I did pass a couple of lads wearing the Diabetes UK kit during the Dublin Marathon, and they do have a pink logo on them. Although probably not pink enough to count as fancy dress. ;)

I have thought about the pink issue and have realised that my face will be a beautiful shade of pink by the end of the run so maybe the grey t-shirt will be fine. (I have pink sweatbands anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Go Niamh!!! I did the mini marathon a very long time ago and twas great craic. Hope you raise loads of money!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

graflynn wrote: »
    Go Niamh!!! I did the mini marathon a very long time ago and twas great craic. Hope you raise loads of money!!!!

so did niamh ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement