Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

azzeretti wrote: »
    However, now that I think of it; how is this different from bring a bottle of vodka to a pub or even food into a pub. You'd be fecked out pretty quickly.
    Still, I won't be paying Cinema prices anytime soon.

You go to the pub to mostly drink tho it would be more akin to going to a restaraunt and bringing your own food.
    Or if you watched your own film in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Used to work in one. The 'butter' is Stork. Enjoy!

You think that's gonna stop me gorging on the stuff?! :pac:

Its delicious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I think if you feel compelled to eat a bag full of crap just because you're at the cinema you need to have a think to yourself as to why. You could have a proper meal afterward for the price nearly.

You could easily have a proper meal for what's charged for popcorn, Id rather get something at least filling and half way decent, something better nutritionally than eating popcorn drenched in cheap butter.
    Help!!!! wrote: »
    Don't some cinema's check bags for such stuff?
    It isnt an airport, they have no right to search you.
    Gannicus wrote: »
    If the cinema saying "only food bought on this premesis may be consumed here" then yeah that's grand enforce away but they have to have signage up to that effect. and if they want to search you they also have to have a sign up for that too..

I know If I had a cinema I'd have them up and I would be enforcing them. Cinema make next to no money on ticket sales for movies its all made via the food and to be fair everyone goes mad about the price of popcorn specifically. there's very little difference... at least not what I've noticed, between the bags of sweets and bars etc. (Pick N'Mix is a rip off absolutely everywhere). Bottles of soft drinks are a farce, price wise in cinema but a big drink in cinema and in Burger King Are comparable... i think

So if they put up a sign that they do cavity searches, that means its allowed, oh I see :eek::rolleyes:.
    What kinda cinema is this, line everyone up and search them? is it a themed gestapo cinema, showing film noir stuff?
    Like fook is there very little difference, theres a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

OldGoat wrote: »
    We usually bring a bottle of wine and a couple of wine glasses. It makes the whole experience seem more civilised.

That's a f*cking genius idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

That's a f*cking genius idea.

They sell small bottles of wine at odeon in blanch, and I know they used to sell cups of smirnoff ice in vue in liffey valley but haven't been in a while so dunno if they still do

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    They sell small bottles of wine at odeon in blanch, and I know they used to sell cups of smirnoff ice in vue in liffey valley but haven't been in a while so dunno if they still do

Probably cost your first born though.

I'll go with lidls finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Occasionally I go in and buy a popcorn and walk out without going to see ANY film at all. Enjoy my €3 and I'll enjoy my popcorn. *walks off happily*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's expensive but cinema popcorn is amazing! I've never brought popcorn myself though I don't see a problem with doing so, I just rather the popcorn and coke they have there so I pay, way over the odds, for it :)

Edit: my kids will be sharing a multi pack when I bring them though!! I'm not made of money!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

OldGoat wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been turned out of a cinema for bringing in their own sweets?

No, but I was kicked out for bringing my own movie once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The 'let him go hungry bit' there - Jaysus, he's only a child. Ostracising him for the sake of a few extra quid is a bit harsh imo. Granted it's pretty full whack to buy food in the cinema but she could have purchased him something, the cheapest thing on the menu even. Despite the glaring oddity from the little fella he still shouldn't have been excluded.
    He won't starve to death in 2 hours. Sometimes standing up for your convictions can have consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Screw the cinema - I ain't paying obscene prices for items that cost less than half the price from shops.

I barely go to the cinema as it is, they should be happy I even visit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

The way I look at is going to the cinema is going to cost €20 if your paying for just you or €30 for a couple.

Yes its expensive but what isn't in this country. I have no problem with people bringing their own snacks but I want a large popcorn dripping with butter if I'm in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Years ago when the movie "Nuns on the run" was out my mam and I went to see it. It was over just before the last bus home at six so we got two snack boxes from our faveourite chipper and ate them while we were watching the movie. Of course I wouldn't dream of doing that nowadays. Isn't it funny how times change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Back in college, a friend and I took acid and went to the cinema.

We were talking to each other really quietly during the movie when a guy, who was sitting about 5 rows back and 10 seats over stood up and shouted "Lads! Give us a fcukin' break would ye?"

Christ, we must have been loud. We were paranoid as bejaysus for the rest of the film.

Anyhow, it's not strictly relevant to this discussion, but it feels good to unburden myself of this guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I don't scarf sweets at home and I don't do it in the cinema either. I'm there to watch a film, not listen to people rustling packets, masticating and slurping diabetes fuel.

I think if you feel compelled to eat a bag full of crap just because you're at the cinema you need to have a think to yourself as to why. You could have a proper meal afterward for the price nearly.

jaysus, are you the little kid's parent?

Ah I remember when the cinema was a nice cheap date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Back in college, a friend and I took acid and went to the cinema.

We were talking to each other really quietly during the movie when a guy, who was sitting about 5 rows back and 10 seats over stood up and shouted "Lads! Give us a fcukin' break would ye?"

Christ, we must have been loud. We were paranoid as bejaysus for the rest of the film.

Anyhow, it's not strictly relevant to this discussion, but it feels good to unburden myself of this guilt.

Should have gone to confession.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

When I was living in London, we buy a few beers and smuggle them in with us. You have to do the whole 'no, I was saying.... pppssttttt I love you' Homer trick when trying to open the can though.

In my defense, it was a cinema that sold beer and you were allowed to bring your beer into the film. All I was doing was buying it elsewhere cheaper beforehand.

You should be allowed bring booze into the cinema anyway in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

When I was living in London, we used to buy a few beers in a shop and smuggle them in with us. You have to do the whole 'no, I was saying.... pppssttttt I love you' Homer trick when trying to open the can though.

In my defense, it was a cinema that sold beer and you were allowed to bring your beer into the film. All I was doing was buying it elsewhere cheaper beforehand.

You should be allowed bring booze into the cinema anyway in my opinion. It makes the film more interesting if it's good and if it's bad, you probably won't remember much of it anyway. Plus, it will make your date appear hotter and hopefully friskier!

When I was living in London, we used to buy a few beers in a shop and smuggle them in with us. You have to do the whole 'no, I was saying.... pppssttttt I love you' Homer trick when trying to open the can though.

You should be allowed bring booze into the cinema anyway in my opinion. It makes the film more interesting if it's good and if it's bad, you probably won't remember much of it anyway. Plus, it will make your date appear hotter and hopefully friskier!

Don't be silly. A loud drunk would ruin it for everyone. Can you imagine the kind, thinks he is the funniest person on the planet and sure we would rather listen to him than watch the movie.
    Its bad enough at stand-up gigs, dont need it in cinemas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I usually buy the food but bring my own movie:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

The shop across the road is where I always stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

CinemaWorld in Parnell Square have a bar. If you have an unlimited card, you get 10% off all food and drink.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. A loud drunk would ruin it for everyone

Agreed.

But there was 2 times I was funny while tipsy in the cinema. Both times i was trying to just say the joke to my mates but it was a bit louder.

One was during M.N.Shwarmas "The Village".... I'd had enough about 50 minutes in and just straight up went (to myself, but quiet loudly in hindsight) "Oh god when the f*** is this film going to kick off, so f***ing boring".
    Queue some local lols in the proximity.

Other one was "Walking Tall" with the Rock and George Formann.
    George Formann to the Rock: "There's just one thing I want from you"
    Me: "A shot at the title belt at the Royal Rumble"
    Many lols.

The rest of the time I was probably being a nuisance

Ok, admittedly you would hear some good on-liners every now and then. But if someone started speaking like that during a film i was enjoying? I would do nothing beyond curse them under my breath.

Damn my cowardice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Scannal wrote: »
    I blame the Americans, it's their fault we're all turning into Americans.

FYP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have brought bags of chips and apple tarts to the cinema, I have no conscience.

They haven't checked people for stuff in years, they don't care any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I go the movies 4+ times a week. I never ever buy anything in the cinema, theres a euro shop next to it that does sweeties and vanilla coke for half the price of a small popcorn in the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Cormac... wrote: »
    Agreed.

But there was 2 times I was funny while tipsy in the cinema. Both times i was trying to just say the joke to my mates but it was a bit louder.

One was during M.N.Shwarmas "The Village".... I'd had enough about 50 minutes in and just straight up went (to myself, but quiet loudly in hindsight) "Oh god when the f*** is this film going to kick off, so f***ing boring".
    Queue some local lols in the proximity.

Other one was "Walking Tall" with the Rock and George Formann.
    George Formann to the Rock: "There's just one thing I want from you"
    Me: "A shot at the title belt at the Royal Rumble"
    Many lols.

The rest of the time I was probably being a nuisance

Id say you were being a nuisance all the time.

• Advertisement

marathont wrote: »
    Id say you were being a nuisance all the time.

Tee-hee :D

Advertisement