Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Upset' Stansted Security Staff reaction to Muslim quip. Careful what you say there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How did these people ever run such a large empire?

Because we were part of it.

But thats for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

That's an anecdote not a statistic. Guys like you would be happy enough in totalitarian societies though. Just keep your head down. Be grand.

Being prepared to follow simple rules and not being an idiot in an airport is equal to living in a totalitarian society now is it? Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The security guard should be fired and the CPS should take a serious look at the amount of time wasted with this and ensure that it does not happen again

At the moment, Muslims are the number one security risk to the west, they have no problems blowing themselves up, so security should be focused on ensuring that they do not pose a threat to the other passengers on the plane

The enhanced security that is in place in relation to bags and liquids is due to the actions of Muslims who have either blown up planes or tried to blow up planes

The man in question was simply stating a fact, he is not a Muslim. he did not racially abuse the security guard and he does not even appear to have been rude to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How did these people ever run such a large empire?

By being tolerant and embracing of other cultures, among other things. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

jahalpin wrote: »
    The security guard should be fired and the CPS should take a serious look at the amount of time wasted with this and ensure that it does not happen again

At the moment, Muslims are the number one security risk to the west, they have no problems blowing themselves up, so security should be focused on ensuring that they do not pose a threat to the other passengers on the plane

The enhanced security that is in place in relation to bags and liquids is due to the actions of Muslims who have either blown up planes or tried to blow up planes

The man in question was simply stating a fact, he is not a Muslim. he did not racially abuse the security guard and he does not even appear to have been rude to him
    Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

He's also 75. What's the charge for. The phrase "I am not a Muslim" isn't even sectarian never mind racist. It's a statement of fact. He may have believed that only Muslims were targeted. Or that only Muslims should be ( or targeted more frequently). I mean until about a decade ago Irish people were treated differently. Most people understood this.

Exactly, he stated a fact about himself. It would be different if he said something like, those effing Muslims ruining air travel for the rest of us.
    As someone already said, new airport security laws are supposed to protect normal people going about their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Despite this being not very PC I would agree. It is a total waste of resources checking a 75 year old man when it is patently obvious he will not be blowing up the plane. Resources should be used much more intelligently rather than this meet your daily target in every demographic approach.
    The pensioner in this case is obviously not the sharpest tool in the box mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I grew up in Ireland and England. On my time in rural Ireland I joined a marching and concert band. This was early nineties. We decided to play in holland. This involved taking a bus to Rosslare, across Wales and England to Harwich and then to Hook of Holland and onto Amsterdam.

It was the early 90's. The IRA was active in the UK and had also bombed Holland in recent memory. I can't remember why.

Because a marching band has instruments and because those instruments come in large heavy cases and those cases are opaque the bus was effectively a security threat and so we had to disembark at 1 am in Wales for 3 hours and remove all our luggage and open them. The instruments were even taken apart. Because of the security threat in holland the same happened in Harwich ( although it was more perfunctory and lasted an hour). To add insult to injury the Dutch police raided our stage after we played looking for bombs during the interval before the English band came on after us ( a band we were friendly with by then).

Nobody much minded. If they did I would got a lot of stick having recently come from England.

Back then security trumped PC and hurted feelings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

dquinnan wrote: »
    Being prepared to follow simple rules and not being an idiot in an airport is equal to living in a totalitarian society now is it? Bloody hell.

"In a way, the world-view of the Party imposed itself most successfully on people incapable of understanding it. They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening. By lack of understanding they remained sane. They simply swallowed everything, and what they swallowed did them no harm, because it left no residue behind, just as a grain of corn will pass undigested through the body of a bird."

George Orwell ; 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lapin wrote: »
    You quoted my entire post to be the first to reply and all you say is that.

Articulacy deficiency syndrome?

But yes, the security guard's reaction to a harmless comment was indeed, very OTT.

You understood, that I was agreeing with you. Did not see the need to over articulate the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Once drove to Belfast with a couple of mates to a concert in the Kings Hall in 1992 in an old van. We were pulled in by British soldiers 14 times! 8 on the way up and 6 on the way back. As we made our way back down home the British soldiers were asking us did we enjoy the concert!
    As others have said this PC bullsh*t has gotten way out of hand , those airport security workers should be told to cope on.
    We didn't mind getting stopped back then because the Troubles were still full on and even we had to admit 3 young men in a battered old van looked dodgy as fook. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

We didn't mind getting stopped back then because the Troubles were still full on and even we had to admit 3 young men in a battered old van looked dodgy as fook. :)

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Exactly, he stated a fact about himself. It would be different if he said something like, those effing Muslims ruining air travel for the rest of us.

Maybe he did say that. There's usually more to these things than meet the eye.

Alternatively, maybe the security guard said "Sir, may I remind you that as it is almost Islamic prayer time, please could you remove your shoes in accordance with the Hadith of Abu Sa'id al-Khurdi."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He's also 75. What's the charge for. The phrase "I am not a Muslim" isn't even sectarian never mind racist. It's a statement of fact. He may have believed that only Muslims were targeted. Or that only Muslims should be ( or targeted more frequently). I mean until about a decade ago Irish people were treated differently. Most people understood this.
    Come off it. There was a clear implication about Muslims generally. That sort of speech should not be condoned, or even excused.

By being tolerant and embracing of other cultures, among other things. :)

Your view of history certainly is backwards then.

Come off it. There was a clear implication about Muslims generally. That sort of speech should not be condoned, or even excused.

He didn't say anything about Muslims. He said he wasn't one. You want a 75 year old man arrested for that? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

He didn't say anything about Muslims. He said he wasn't one. You want a 75 year old man arrested for that? Jesus wept.

He implied that terrorists are only Muslims and he being a white Englishman deserved to be treated differently than another person. Good enough for him.

how so?
    Even today, three young men in a battered old van would be seen as dodgy, especially if it was cruising around an upmarket area.

auldgranny wrote: »
    He implied that terrorists are only Muslims and he being a white Englishman deserved to be treated differently than another person. Good enough for him.

He didn't imply anything. What was inferred was up to the security guy. Who was, by the way, the one in the position of power here.

What's your opinion on the stories in this thread about how Irish people were treated in security in recent memory?

Even today, three young men in a battered old van would be seen as dodgy, especially if it was cruising around an upmarket area.

Southern reg cars were always treated differently up there. Ethnic profiling. Yada.
    Yada.
    Yada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,613 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This nonsense isn't restricted to the UK.

A very old man I know was going through Dublin Airport a couple of years back when a security guard made a big deal of his crutch. When the man said "sure it's not like it's a machine gun" the security guard made a huge deal of it. He made the man feel like he was in big trouble for using the word "machine gun" in an airport and would not get on his flight. Luckily an older member of security staff came over and told the younger security guard to cop the **** on.
    Personally I always find security staff grand but I believe that they're not always as well trained as you might expect.

The issue is security have a high turnover rate so training and standards are ultimately slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

He didn't imply anything. What was inferred was up to the security guy. Who was, by the way, the one in the position of power here.

What's your opinion on the stories in this thread about how Irish people were treated in security in recent memory?

As I think you posted yourself security trumps pc.
    I think irish people were treated shamefully up north or in the UK at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

the more you think about the reasons behind all these ridiculous checks the more you realise we've all been had, big time!!

what the hell is the reason? I still think despite any restrictions, if someone wanted to get through security with something that circumvents the measures, they could, somehow, or they will avoid air transport and focus on something else altogether.
    I've wondered would some lower form of attack, introducing bedbugs (maybe it was just poor standards in NY) be a lower cost and more fruitful venture than say blowing up a plane or flying into buildings.

Maybe some ideas? it promotes the idea or view that the powers that be are in control?, people then believe this, not being in a fearful mode they travel, spend, are good consumers?? it creates an environment where the powers that be can impose further restrictions without providing a reasonable reason as to why?
    something else?
    and dont get me fcuking started on the 100ml limits on fluids!! :mad::mad:

Im interested, it does seem ridiculous, at the least it means unprepared, you might have to spend money on replacements in duty free.
    how so?

Dodgy, have you seen pictures of back then, young lads going around with dodgy haircuts, beards and taches, add to that driving a van in the troubles :), I can see how they might be targeted (for inspection).

As for some cantankerous old guy, I think its OTT, not racist anyway, insensitive, just gives the security an excuse to overreact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It was a stupid, insensitive thing for the guy to say, I don't care what age he was he should know better than that. However, that was an overreaction by the police though, six months is ridiculous. The security in the airport should have just taken him aside and told him that what he said was inappropriate and offensive. I mean, replace 'Muslim' with 'Irish' and it's not so funny, it's extremely hurtful to categorise a group of people for the actions of a minority.
    Irish people were once the the target of comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭seenitall

Am I the only one here who upon reading the OP, thought the old man said it in relation to having to take his shoes off as Muslims do in spaces of communal prayer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It was the early 90's. The IRA was active in the UK and had also bombed Holland in recent memory. I can't remember why.

British servicemen based in Germany at the time were often the target of IRA scum when they crossed the border into the Netherlands when off duty.

In 1998 three RAF men were murdered in two seperate attacks while in 1990 they killed two Austrailian tourists in the name of Irish freedom having mistaken them for members of the British forces.

I also travelled around Europe quite a bit during this time and it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience being Irish at many border crossings, airports and ferry ports.

But I understood perfectly why this was the case and never had a problem with it. When discussion ever did arise, whether among officials or among fellow passengers, I simply let it be known that the IRA scum did not represent my or my views and opinions and I detested their actions as much as anyone, as did the vast majority of Irish people.

I may have been slightly irked if a person being checked in front of me at the time objected by saying 'But I'm not Irish am I', but I would never have been 'upset' or offended by such a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

My social commentary of the day. Muslims are the new black people. Not racist but these are things people used to say about black people all the time. The world spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

"In a way, the world-view of the Party imposed itself most successfully on people incapable of understanding it. They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening. By lack of understanding they remained sane. They simply swallowed everything, and what they swallowed did them no harm, because it left no residue behind, just as a grain of corn will pass undigested through the body of a bird."

George Orwell ; 1984

Thanks for putting it all in Bold...... I wasn't sure where the text was :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

md23040 wrote: »
    airport security pick on the weak and vulnerable in society whom are meant to be protected under these same security measures - the degree of irony is totally lost on me.

Yet it's amazing how all those young lads buying one way tickets to Turkey arouse no suspicion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

I am not a Muslim

*awaits Gardai knocking in the door*

Advertisement