Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extra Life - 24hour Gaming for Charity

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

saiint wrote: »
    i wouldnt watch eh for 24 hours, but over the period of the day id watch it, probably 4-5 hours overall maybe more when it starts getting late
    as well as most people watching it would be from the eu and america so times forwatching it would be able for everyone

sorry if i hurt your feelings pal but your having a go at me for nothing haha
    i dont object to what hes doing, i appreciate it, but as we all know their are low lifes out their that do scam
    why do you think no one gives their creditcard details to charity on streets? because most people know it will more then likly go towards funding the people on the street working for them, cause they dont volunteer they get paid to do it.
    i dont think hes a scammer, but im just saying as well as many others will agree id like to see the stream , gives me something to watch :) and would make the experience more enjoyable for him since people will be able to chat with him whiles he doing it and make others who are doubthful donate.
    i wouldnt do 24 hours
    already said that wouldnt be able, as well as my bills are high enough as is
    any more problems you have with my post? feel free to pick them out ;) cause im in no way accusing him of being a scammer

Wow, I didn't think anyone would watch it for that long. I understand what you mean about scamming it though. The way Extra Life have set it up though, it's unlikely to be scammed - once we registered, we were given a donations page under their domain name.

I'll try get the stream going but think that the connection won't hold enough for us to have a decent online connection. Thanks for the interest!

Everybody, please register yourselves! Raise money for the sick kids! Your goal can even be €50. All money towards the hospitals counts.

Hey guys. Only 5 days left until I challenge myself to this 24 hour gaming marathon. Please show some love for the sick kids in Temple Street by donating at: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/TheThreeEejits

Any amount of donation (even €1!) is hugely appreciated! We're miles off our target but we've gathered a bit of money for the kids.
    If you'd prefer to send a cash donation by post, please private message me and I'll give you an address to send it to.

I've heard from so many people that Temple Street are great at looking after their kids and provide excellent facilities to help kids get through their sick times. That's why we're desperately trying to fund raise on their behalf! Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Done. Few more quid there.

But you really need to get off your ass and raise more than that. How many friends and family have walked up to with a donation form and a pen? How many work mates? Neighbours? You have to get in people's faces to raise the cash. I know, I've done it - raised money for temple street too.

Asking penniless gamers in forums are strangers to you will gain very little.

Fair play for making the effort but how much of your own cash have you put in? Or the other 2 guys in the photo? After 1 month of fund-raising its a poor show so far.

Get the finger out get that bar closer to your target and go up to people. Also there's no point saying "I've heard the hospital gets the kids through their 'sick times'" is completely detached. Go there, visit the kids, show them how you're raising money. They'll love it.

More effort!

quarryman wrote: »
    Done. Few more quid there.

But you really need to get off your ass and raise more than that. How many friends and family have walked up to with a donation form and a pen? How many work mates? Neighbours? You have to get in people's faces to raise the cash. I know, I've done it - raised money for temple street too.
    Thanks a million, Quarryman! You've raised a few good points there. I'll have to be a bit more proactive in getting some donations. Thanks for the advice and extra kick.
    Fair play for making the effort but how much of your own cash have you put in? Or the other 2 guys in the photo? After 1 month of fund-raising its a poor show so far.

One of our team has donated. I'm going to donate closer to the end date. It is a bit of a poor show but I've tried putting up posters and getting on the radio. I emailed every popular radio station in Ireland and heard no response from any of them. I'll try get on FM104 again tomorrow.
    Get the finger out get that bar closer to your target and go up to people. Also there's no point saying "I've heard the hospital gets the kids through their 'sick times'" is completely detached. Go there, visit the kids, show them how you're raising money. They'll love it.

I've had the idea to go to the hospital. I was wondering would the hospital actually let me in though? I'll try get up there tomorrow.

Also, we're hosting a coffee morning on Thursday for the locals in order to fund raise. We have a deal with the local take away for a free meal draw with each donation.

But ultimately you're right. We need to get more "in your face" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well you have my few quid anyway, best of luck with it.

But get proactive. People won't put their hands in their pockets unless they have to. Posters, emails etc are easy to avoid. Walk up to people and convince them. Get them to sign in front of you.

Definitely call into the hospital. Print up the charity page. List the games you plan to play. Look organised and they might let you visit a couple of wards if you're nice. Take some photos and then use that to raise more cash. People will be able to see where it's going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Likewise I am gearing up for the big day!

www.extra-life.org/participant/fionn

I plan to stream especially seen as Extra Life are giving platinum members a free premium sub to XSplit :) Will post the stream link here provided it works okay!

Any donations big or small would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Well you have my few quid anyway, best of luck with it.

But get proactive. People won't put their hands in their pockets unless they have to. Posters, emails etc are easy to avoid. Walk up to people and convince them. Get them to sign in front of you.

Definitely call into the hospital. Print up the charity page. List the games you plan to play. Look organised and they might let you visit a couple of wards if you're nice. Take some photos and then use that to raise more cash. People will be able to see where it's going.

Appreciate the advice, quarryman. I'll get myself more proactive for the week. Must get myself a bit more organised. Thanks again for donating.

Best of luck to you, fionny! :-)

You too Jaych & co.

Providing my connection holds up I will be running a low res stream here:
    http://www.twitch.tv/fionnyanseo

Com's will be 18+ as Im not one for censoring myself :P

Anyone who might like to throw me a few bob can do so here:

www.extra-life.org/participant/fionn

thanks,

The list of games we have for tomorrow:
    Viking, Frontline, Tekken 6, Blue Dragon, Dante's Inferno, Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Fight Night Round 4, Halo 3, Resident Evil Operation Racoon City, Master's Golf Game, Fifa 2012, Forza 4, Gears of War 1, Max Payne 3, Deux Ex Human Resolution, Halo Reach, Just Cause 2, Smackdown vs Raw 2011, The Darkness 2, GTA Liberty City, Madden 2011, Halo Anniversary, Gears of War 3, Arkham Asylum, and Bulletstorm.

We should be setting up a live stream if the connection holds up. If it works, we'll provide a link.

• Advertisement

My live stream is here:

www.twitch.tv/fionnyanseo

Will try and leave run as long as web connection holds up. If it affect Multiplayer games I will have to drop it.

Sorry folks its fragging the hell out of my connection if im playing a multiplayer making it unplayable (only have 1meg upload at best), sorry! Will try and remember to turn on for single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Best of luck to all taking part today!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I checked in on a few twitch streams for this event. Most people looked really miserable and bored. Some complained of eye strain and headaches.

Why do people do this? There must be a more enjoyable way to raise money.

I think eye strain and headaches are normal when you're playing games constantly for 24 hours.
    I can't speak for those people you checked in on, but I know that when I play games, I generally look miserable and disinterested too. It's just because the games are engaging and take all of your attention. My brain would react to emotions in the game and I wouldn't display them as facial expressions.

I have to say, I really enjoyed doing this! My two friends got headaches early on, which subsided after a few hours. I was lucky not to get one. The only thing that was difficult was combating the tiredness during the final few hours. Other than that, it was a lot of fun!!

How did you get on, fionny?

This was my second year doing it, was tough as usual for the last 5 or so hours. Was hanging for sleep and as the clocked ticked to 8am I was gone to bed like a hot snot!

Its fun until the late hours where my brain just wanted to shut off. It was a less then ideal weekend for me also seen as I finished my old job on Friday and start a new one on Monday, need to catch up on my sleep tonight! Not sure if I will do it for a third year or not. Im thinking Movember next year instead.

Advertisement