Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill thyme

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I can totally empathise. Studied fulltime for the last 3 years to move into new career. Graduated and landed "great" job in a very well known multi-national. 2 days after starting 2 year contract, confirmed news of site closing in future filters through. New project for me scrapped. My contract is being honoured as I'll " be busy when staff start leaving". I've been asked not to leave as I will be needed. Salary very good but learning nothing and days dragging.

So I sit and wait. Nowt to do, permanent staff pissed. Going to start looking but not best time of year for recruitment so will take a while. I've worked in jobs before that have been mental and stressful so I'll accept this for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

if you can't distinguish between Thyme and Time, maybe they're afraid to ask you to do anything!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

if you can't distinguish between Thyme and Time, maybe they're afraid to ask you to do anything!! :-)

When I read the title myself I thought this was going to be about some sort of Boardsie Vendetta

Disappointed! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Good idea, can you recommend any good podcasts?
    99% Invisible is short (a rarity for podcasts somehow), informative and really fun most of the time, it's all about architecture and more general design but it's breezy about it and quite story based. Beyond that you'd have to say what you're looking for.

Whoever said learning to code is bang on too, it looks like it could be related to work as a bluff and it's pretty easy to get a solid grasp of how a language works.

...I'd just be watching a f*ckton of films though.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

I'm grateful that I have a job and I appreciate that other people endure stressful jobs that they hate and they just get on with it. It's just that I was told this job would be hectic and I'd play a central role when in reality I'm completely on the periphery and might as well not be here!

I was offered two jobs at the time and went with this one and I'm just a bit annoyed.

I'll just keep reminding myself that it's only temporary but don't be surprised if you see ALOT of me around these here parts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Dr. Lollington, I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

You could do an Open university course in your time. If you have laods of free time you could do a full course in no time.

Learn about advanced robotics, I did that once in a semi state job, spent day after day reading about Robotics, genetics and so on.

Didnt do me any help on the job front in any manner, but you should see me watching the Chaser!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm a girl... and I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon.. at your desk anyway ;)

Do you know anything at all about how this sordid little world works?:D
    Frowned upon, being a girl - triple points, being at your desk - triple points again. That is a x9 bonus.
    Frowned upon indeed!
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    When I read the title myself I thought this was going to be about some sort of Boardsie Vendetta

Disappointed! :(

I actually thought it was something to do with gardening. I was actually thinking to myself, who knew thyme was hard to kill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

I have to agree with learning to write code, design websites etc, can be very useful and can all be done at the PC. Download Notepad++ and check out W3 schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

How come no one has suggested trying to seduce your boss? It could be fun and it's something to do....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Thyme prefers light soil and dry, sunny conditions.

Planting it in boggy soil in a shaded position should do the trick, though it may take some time.

Alternatevely, you could try fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

DuMorph wrote: »
    Thyme prefers light soil and dry, sunny conditions.

Planting it in boggy soil in a shaded position should do the trick, though it may take some time.

Alternatevely, you could try fire.

You didn't read the OP did ya :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

OP, run. Leave.

You about to be set up. Your a patsey for a financial scandal!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

You didn't read the OP did ya :P

I did.

I put in the last line to suggest as much.

(oops!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I was hired by a company a few months ago on a contractual basis and I have no idea why.

The job spec I was given doesn't reflect the 'work' I do here on a daily basis in the slightest!
    In my interview, I was told that I'd be flat out, snowed under, run off my feet, working my a** off basically but in reality, I'm doing doing!

I arrive in everyday to an empty inbox. My phone has never rang and I've never made a call. I have no duties, no projects, no nothing!!

It's like Groundhog day if Bill Murray rolled out of bed and into an office to stare at a blank screen over and over and over again...

A few weeks decided enough is enough and called a meeting with my Manager, who also happens to be the CEO. I explained that the job isn't exactly living up to my expectations and that I have no job satisfaction or motivation to come into the office. She said she understood and apologised for neglecting me. She said she's just been 'so busy'. Sigh.

Anyway, long story short, I'm bored... I'm dangerously bored.

So, can you guys help me to come up with ways to fill my days?! I have access to youtube and most other websites except for social networking sites but I'm not a fan of them anyway.

Like I said, it's only a temporary job. I'm planning on going back to study soon. I'd quit but I can't afford to and it's good money here for doing nought!

I just need ways to kill the day so I don't lose my mind and go on a murderous rampage.

Oh and just to add, this is the beloved Civil Service so it's a complete wastes of tax payers hard earned dollar. What a joke!

Help me

Well I'll take it if you don't bloody want it. Quit and let it go to someone who appreciates the income, ffs. I can't believe you're whining about getting money for doing nothing. That's the stupidest thing I've heard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So, can you guys help me to come up with ways to fill my days?

Since you just joined Boards, you should find enough forums here to keep you busy.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

Well I'll take it if you don't bloody want it. Quit and let it go to someone who appreciates the income, ffs. I can't believe you're whining about getting money for doing nothing. That's the stupidest thing I've heard today.

Well if you'd taken the time to read my further posts, I've said that I'm very grateful to have a job and to have the income. I was given an extensive job spec and told I'd be a valuable asset to the team but inside I stare at the walls all day.

It's very frustrating having no work at all to do. Literally nothing. I'm not 'taking' this job away from someone else either. I need the money really badly but I think it's understandable that I'm bored out of my wits all day and was essentially lied to about what I'd be doing.

I'm not learning any new skills or using any of my existing skills. It's a complete waste of my time. Doing nothing all day is not as sweet as it sounds unless you're a total moron who enjoys not using what little brain cells they have,

I need to be stimulated and have some sense of job satisfaction to feel fulfilled.

Forgive me for wanting to achieve something with my life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

In my experience it's usually only boring people who claim to be bored.

Entertain yourself OP, ffs. Yeah, it's a bum deal but make the most of it. If you need to feel fulfilled at the end of the day read a book, study your course work, learn a language, do one of those free online courses that another poster suggested, one of the fun ones. I did a Cryptology course last year during some downtime.

I'm also kind of addicted to Words with Friends, and I have a great app that downloads crosswords from various publications daily. Keeps the mind (somewhat) sharp.

If you can get away with it (depending on positioning of your desk) you could even watch an episode or two of a show you like. Play Pokemon on a DS. Write a screenplay. Fart around on Boards discussing herbs all day. ANYTHING. The world's your lobster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you tried photocopying your arse ? Or making threatening phone calls to random people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Nothing to do and all the time in the world to do it... Do you actually have to be in the office? In a situation like this you could always pop out for coffee, daily groceries, lunch, the library, the odd browse and you could do a distance learning course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Not sure what industry you are in but if possible, get proactive. Without trying to step on peoples toes, try find work to do and ask the boss if hes happy with your proposal. In any organisation ive worked in, there usually loads of loose ends to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm not learning any new skills or using any of my existing skills. It's a complete waste of my time. Doing nothing all day is not as sweet as it sounds unless you're a total moron who enjoys not using what little brain cells they have,

I've have two jobs in the last two years that required me to do almost nothing and get paid well for it.

Simple answer: Use the Internet productively, learn things. Frankly I've no use for a difficult and challenging job, what kind of person wants to work hard to get paid? The smart ones get paid for doing almost nothing. I learned more about orbital mechanics and aerodynamics in those two jobs by using the internet then I ever learned in education. Plus, I came home from work happy, refreshed and relaxed. If you want stress, go find some. I love relaxing in work.

The hilarious thing was that there was a guy beside me working flat out, 7am-10pm to do the same job, Guess who burned out? That's right, he did. And I got better scores on my assessment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Have an exciting affair and pen a blockbuster novel about it in your free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The hilarious thing was that there was a guy beside me working flat out, 7am-10pm to do the same job, Guess who burned out? That's right, he did. And I got better scores on my assessment too.
    There is something on your nose. It is brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I know it's not the OPs fault, but am I the only one peed off that the public sector are still hiring people to do nothing?

Does this culture still exist in the public sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Try coursera. Free online short courses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Write a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Write a book.

A time for thyme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Write a book.
    Gmol wrote: »
    A time for thyme.