Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Mine are finally coming off this week :D:D:D:D:D:D

LottieP25 wrote: »
    Mine are finally coming off this week :D:D:D:D:D:D

Nice one! Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Thanks, was ment to be getting them off in June and I was really disappointed when he delayed it. But there is a huge improvement since then , so the extra few weeks has been worth it.

I will post up a picture as soon as I get my crowns fitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I had my first consultation and I'm feeling nervous now! The ortho said that my teeth are quite several crooked so the best option is fixed braces on the front of my teeth, he said he would do metal on bottom teeth and ceramic for my top teeth. I asked about lingual but they are literally double the price and he said the movement is better, quicker, and less hassle with normal braces. What's freaking me out is he is saying treatment time of 2.5 years! I'm getting married in under 3 years but he said worst case scenario he could remove my braces for the day. I'm freaking out now because I was hoping for under 2 years treatment at the very most,it seems like so much money and time! I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Do not back out. I wouldn't get married until I had mine done. He told me about 2 years too but it was only 18 months. You'll not regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Do not back out. I wouldn't get married until I had mine done. He told me about 2 years too but it was only 18 months. You'll not regret it.

Thanks for that, I think I just got freaked out at the thought of 2.5 years but I have been self conscious since I was a teen which puts it into perspective! I think my problem was i felt even worse leaving as he said they were so bad. More reason to get them done though I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irish Heidi

Hello123 wrote: »
    Did your ortho suggest this? It's pricey but if it makes flossing easier then I'll try anything! My teeth a so tight I can barely get floss in.

My ortho didn't speak to me about cleaning or care, it was the dental nurse/hygienist who looked after that but she didn't mention it during the consult after getting the braces on.
    But maybe most people manage the flossing better than me :-/
    They seem to be really popular in the States going by the number of YouTube videos on flossing with braces!
    You might find them cheaper online. I was just too impatient to wait 5 days for postage.
    As for their effectiveness (or my ability to use it effectively) I suppose we'll see how I get on at my first proper appointment at the end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

My ortho didn't speak to me about cleaning or care, it was the dental nurse/hygienist who looked after that but she didn't mention it during the consult after getting the braces on.
    But maybe most people manage the flossing better than me :-/
    They seem to be really popular in the States going by the number of YouTube videos on flossing with braces!
    You might find them cheaper online. I was just too impatient to wait 5 days for postage.
    As for their effectiveness (or my ability to use it effectively) I suppose we'll see how I get on at my first proper appointment at the end of the month!

I just wanna say thank you very much for this waterpik. you don't understand how i struggle everyday! :(

do you guys use also any mouthwash? and how often do you brush your teeth daily? i brush it twice daily but i feel it is not enough.

La Mer wrote: »
    I just wanna say thank you very much for this waterpik. you don't understand how i struggle everyday! :(

do you guys use also any mouthwash? and how often do you brush your teeth daily? i brush it twice daily but i feel it is not enough.

I got the waterpik shortly after getting my braces in March, a poster on here recommended it to me. It has been brilliant for me too.

I brush my teeth every time I eat, I usually have a backpack with me wherever I go, so I bring a toothbrush and toothpaste everywhere. I do use mouthwash but only in the morning and when I go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

Can I ask what mouthwash you use?

I'm getting 2 teeth out next week. Dreading it and the gaps

• Advertisement

Listerine Zero; I was told to stick to alcohol-free mouthwash. Not exactly sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Got confirmation yesterday that my braces are coming off in two weeks!! :D

The top ones will have been on for 13 months, the bottom ones just 12. I think I must have been very lucky with how quickly they moved. Nice early Christmas present for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Karsini wrote: »
    Listerine Zero; I was told to stick to alcohol-free mouthwash. Not exactly sure why.

I also know someone with braces who was advised to use the same mouth wash .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I also know someone with braces who was advised to use the same mouth wash .
    Come to think of it; I seem to recall that the alcohol free mouthwashes tend to have a higher fluoride content.

Hi all,
    I got 2 premolars extracted yesterday on my left side. I am absolutely beside myself as to WHY I went ahead with it. AND I'm going to have to go through it again in a weeks time. The gaps are massive and I feel like a fool telling people that I got them out VOLUNTARILY

The fact that I can get a good look in the hole is the worst part as it is so disgusting.
    I'm just really down about the whole thing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Hi all,
    I got 2 premolars extracted yesterday on my left side. I am absolutely beside myself as to WHY I went ahead with it. AND I'm going to have to go through it again in a weeks time. The gaps are massive and I feel like a fool telling people that I got them out VOLUNTARILY

The fact that I can get a good look in the hole is the worst part as it is so disgusting.

How come you got them removed, is it to make room for other teeth to move when you get a brace?
    Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, you may have explained this already!
    I'm interested as I will need teeth removed too when I get mine
    Are you in much pain? Were you awake when they were taken out? Is it awful?

Hi there, I'm new to the thread so also haven't read it all!

Yes teeth had to come out to make space as my teeth are very overcrowded. I had my self in a state before getting the teeth actually pulled, but it didn't hurt at all. A lot of uncomfortable pressure getting the top one out but the bottom was out so quickly. I took a painkiller this morning and am fine pain wise since. Slept badly because the extractions were late last night and I had to sleep elevated. Also I guess the whole thing was on my mind, so that kept me awake too

It is the recovery that I am hating. The socket is disgusting and the gap is visible when i smile. One of the reasons I want my teeth fixed is because I show so much TOOTH when i smile. I dont even want to talk to people at the moment so im at home feeling sorry for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Hi there, I'm new to the thread so also haven't read it all!

Yes teeth had to come out to make space as my teeth are very overcrowded. I had my self in a state before getting the teeth actually pulled, but it didn't hurt at all. A lot of uncomfortable pressure getting the top one out but the bottom was out so quickly. I took a painkiller this morning and am fine pain wise since. Slept badly because the extractions were late last night and I had to sleep elevated. Also I guess the whole thing was on my mind, so that kept me awake too

It is the recovery that I am hating. The socket is disgusting and the gap is visible when i smile. One of the reasons I want my teeth fixed is because I show so much TOOTH when i smile. I dont even want to talk to people at the moment so im at home feeling sorry for myself
    Ah you poor thing, I do feel for you as I have always had bad teeth and know how crippling it is to your self confidence.

But look at it this way, you are one HUGE step closer now to getting the smile you want, you've done most of the hard part and you will feel much better in a couple of days. I know you have to get it done again but that will only be another couple of days of misery.
    Have you a date to get your braces fitted?
    I haven't even seen an orthodontist yet as I just can't afford it right now, so even in your miserable state I am actually jealous of you! Lol

Have you a date to get your braces fitted?

Thanks for your sympathy. It does make me feel better. I got the braces on 2 weeks ago. The brackets are on all teeth (except the ones to be removed) and the archwire is connecting only the top 6 and bottom 6.
    SO I guess i got the trauma of the braces on 1st and teeth out next. One advantage is that I'm the girl who got braces followed by the girl who intentionally pulled healthy teeth! I'm hoping that the braces are what everyone notices now!! And they are ceramic

Less than 2 weeks to go until my braces come off, and one of the brackets broke last night :( The earliest they can fix it is Tuesday, and only after I insisted we don't just leave it for 2 weeks! If it was a back tooth that might have been ok, but it's a front top tooth so it's incredibly noticeable. It rotated around the wire, so it looks different to the others, and moves freely along the wire like a teeny tiny abacus. Talking to people in work tomorrow should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hi all,

I know what you mean! I had 4 premolars taken out for my braces, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. Was very iffy about getting them removed as they were healthy and I was scared my face shape would change. Got the first 2 removed an hour AFTER I got the brackets on! The pain the day after was unreal!

Anyway, they closed up towards the end of my treatment. And my face looks the same. You can see the gaps closing on the pics I posted on this thread....
    It will all be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 iambeave

Hi all,

Hello Hello 123!

I got four premolars out in the last two weeks, and my four wisdoms out this summer in prep for the braces, which I just got on today.

I totally feel your pain. From the side, the gaps look a bit funny - but they will close :) don't worry about telling people about it, instead tell them it's a normal thing to do these days in prep for braces - and think of the gorgeous smile you will have at the end. No pain, no gain!

I was having a good laugh grossing my parents out by showing them the gaps and the sockets - Don't let it get you down too much and think of how brave you have been to make this decision in the first place.

thanks for above replies

Feeling a bit better although feeling pain still in my jaw. Its nearly a week so not sure should I go back to the dentist. I can see the little red clot in the root, so dont think it's that 'dry socket' thing. With work and the kids, I really havent got the time to be going to dentist.
    These ortho appointments are considered 'me' time!!!

On theup, maybe I am imagining it, but I think there is a slight movement in 2 front teeth. I actually only have the arch wire across the front 6 (top/bottom), so wasnt expecting anything. Imagination or not, it's cheered me up

I read online that this whole experience will be similar to getting a house extension - a mess while its being done, fab when it's finished !

Lia_lia wrote: »
    You can see the gaps closing on the pics I posted on this thread....

Don't suppose you could send me the URL for it? I couldnt find it with a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

<
    To find something someone's already posted click on their name (where the arrow is pointing if you want to check my post history) then click "Find more posts by pillphil" then you can narrow it down by catagory, like dental issues if you want something in dental issues.

It was post 200

jokettle wrote: »
    Less than 2 weeks to go until my braces come off, and one of the brackets broke last night :( The earliest they can fix it is Tuesday

Well, instead of fixing it today they went ahead and took the top braces off! I'm delighted :D The ortho said it wasn't worth replacing the bracket with only 10 days left before they were due to come off anyway.

I've been staring at myself in every reflective surface since this afternoon, and grinning like an eejit :) I just have to get used to the retainer now! The bottom ones are coming off next Thursday, and then I'm going to buy ALL the lipstick :pac:

jokettle wrote: »
    Well, instead of fixing it today they went ahead and took the top braces off! I'm delighted :D The ortho said it wasn't worth replacing the bracket with only 10 days left before they were due to come off anyway.
    Can I ask how the bracket came off? I've been afraid that one of mine might, but they've stayed put so far.

I got my bottom arch braces fitted last week. I was expecting it to be really uncomfortable but I was fine in about two or three days. Proper braceface now with the two of them in! :pac:

Karsini wrote: »
    Can I ask how the bracket came off? I've been afraid that one of mine might, but they've stayed put so far.

Blunt force to the face :pac:

I was getting into the back of a taxi, lost my balance (and for clarity's sake, I want to state that I'd had two Bulmer's Light over the course of about 6 hours, so I can't even blame the drink. I'm just *that* clumsy), and went face first into the seat rest of the front seat. I didn't feel anything, no pain, nothing, until I realised something was moving in my mouth! The bracket was fully away from the tooth, rolling up and down the wire like a mobile snaggletooth. Super attractive.

The ortho said I was very lucky not to have broken the tooth. The braces took the full brunt of it. I imagine this is why they give gum shields if you play contact sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hey everybody, just found this thread and it makes great reading while offering some great advice and tips!

I'm just wondering, can anyone recommend a good electric toothbrush? I'm brushing a couple of times a day (pretty much after every meal) but I know myself that I'm getting everything properly and I don't want to cause any further problems down the line. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Hi Hello123,

My treatment sounds very similar to yours.
    I also had to get 4 teeth extracted to make room for my braces to do their work.
    Two molars and two pre-molars had to go, all healthy.

After I got two of my teeth pulled I was beginning to question why the hell I agreed to this.
    What was worse, was the next two teeth that were pulled was even more unpleasant.
    One of the molars had to be cut up to try and extract it and it went on for about 40 - 50 mins.
    By the time it came to the pre-molar the anaesthesia was starting to lose effect and boy did I feel it.

My extractions were done in September of last year and I got my braces on the following October for my bottom set and December for my top set.
    I was 30 when I got them on, and it was something I always wanted to get done but kept putting it off.
    After a few weeks you completely forget about them and nobody has ever commented on them to me about them.
    I think they are so common now that nobody passes any heed of them, and I went for the ceramic clear brackets.

After 12 months the change is huge.
    If you asked me back then would I do it again I'd have to seriously think about it.
    Ask me now and without a doubt I would say yes. They look better and feel better.

My treatment was estimated to be 14 months but I still have large gaps on the top where my molars were extracted so I can't imagine them closing up in the next two months.
    I'd be surprised if they are off before April but I've really had no issues with them so I'll wear them as long as they are needed.

They look like a mess to start with because the wire is zig zagging in all directions but you'd be surprised how quickly they begin to straighten.

I've been taking pictures of the changes every few weeks just to see the change over time, so I could do a kind of time lapse on it.
    If people wanted to see the change I could post it up, but viewer discretion advised, my teeth were an overcrowded mess to start with :)

Advertisement